PDA

View Full Version : MTB pedal recommendations

sfscott
08-30-2018, 11:08 AM
Since we are talking about pedals, looking for some advice on new pedals for my MTB.

I'm doing a lot more MTB riding now, some of it is lift served trails as well as climbs. Guess this is what the kids call enduro.

I have been using SPD pedals. First the small platform-less ones and then switched to a 2-sided version, with flats on one side.

I am really starting to feel that I am in better control when clipped in but find the current 2-sided SPDs not terribly comfortable over long stints. On top of that, despite setting the release tension pretty low, I don't feel that I can bail out very quickly. It takes a lot of force, and I'm used to riding Look Blades, so not a newbie.

I have been looking at the Crank Bros Mallets. They get good reviews but I have also seen some complaints about ease of unclipping in a hurry as well as it being a bit hard to get them dialed.

I have switched from a Sidi Dominator to a Five-10 shoe with a rubber sole and a recessed cleat, so that is another factor.

Basically, I want a big comfortable platform with easy in-out so I can bail when my heavy arse runs out of momentum on climbs or I need to put a foot down on burm-zilla.

jtbadge
08-30-2018, 11:16 AM
I would say that your perceived lack of comfort with the SPDs is due to the flexibility of the rubber soles. A stiffer sole spreads out that pressure point. I'd either try shoes with a stiffer sole or lean all the way into wide platform flat pedals.

sfscott
08-30-2018, 11:18 AM
I would say that your perceived lack of comfort with the SPDs is due to the flexibility of the rubber soles. A stiffer sole spreads out that pressure point. I'd either try shoes with a stiffer sole or lean all the way into wide platform flat pedals.

Thanks.

I'm liking the newer type shoes, and those seem to the what the locals here in Park City are wearing, having moved away from road-like shoes.

What suggestions would there be for a wide platform? Still looking for a clip in pedal.

pcxmbfj
08-30-2018, 12:06 PM
Shimano PD-M545 ride as flat or spd clip much better than Mallots of the past. Run on three bikes.

sfscott
08-30-2018, 12:36 PM
Shimano PD-M545 ride as flat or spd clip much better than Mallots of the past. Run on three bikes.

Are these the ones with flats on one side and clip less on the other?

Have those currently

ptourkin
08-30-2018, 12:50 PM

Have those currently

Regarding these, BikeRumor showed the new Explorer models today, one for road and one for "adventure." The adventure ones look like something I could use.

vqdriver
08-30-2018, 12:57 PM
which pedals are you using? i used low end spds (820, 520and 530) until i ponied up for xtr and the engagement is phenomenal. very distinct clicks in and glass break release. depending on the cleat you use, sometimes too easy.

one thing to note on the combo style pedals, the flat section is rarely pinned so you won't know how good the grip can be on real flats. or the spd section is dual sided so the spd cages protrude up to engage the cleats creating a bumpish over the spindle. which is how i believe the crank bros works. if deciding between the 2, you should compare real platforms to real spds to get a fair comparison.

agree that the discomfort is probably due to flex soles than pedals. the 2bolt interface is small, no matter what cage you put on it. you need the shoe to spread out the pressure, hence the stiff sole. the way the crank bros rails touch the actual shoe (not just the cleat) i could actually feel it more than with shimanos.

if you are not doing a lot of xc, and maybe even if you are, i think you may like platform pedals instead of combo spds. those pins hold like crazy, especially with those 5.10 stealth soles.
plus, a set of chesters are far cheaper than stiff soled (racey) mtb shoes.

boomforeal
08-30-2018, 01:26 PM
shimano m530's

http://media.chainreactioncycles.com/is/image/ChainReactionCycles/template_sample?$detail$&$id=prod67249_Black_NE_01&$offerhide=1&$promoflag=shimanowk62018&$promohide=0&locale=en

cheap, durable, supportive, light-ish, adjustable

pcxmbfj
09-01-2018, 01:24 PM

Have those currently

No, spd. Still enought platform to ride flats.

dustyrider
09-01-2018, 08:09 PM
I hear good things about HT pedals, and some folks are saying crank brothers have stepped up their game of late. Personally I prefer flat pedals or time atacs. The atacs are nice when you want to go all cross country riding.

Johnnysmooth
09-01-2018, 08:38 PM
I've used Time Atacs for a couple of decades now - basically bullet-proof, have never had an issue and release is adjustable based on how you mount cleat

josephr
09-04-2018, 06:28 PM
shimano m530's

http://media.chainreactioncycles.com/is/image/ChainReactionCycles/template_sample?$detail$&$id=prod67249_Black_NE_01&$offerhide=1&$promoflag=shimanowk62018&$promohide=0&locale=en

cheap, durable, supportive, light-ish, adjustable

these....if you're feeling that clipping out of your SPDs is a problem, suggest backing out the tension all the way and then going in one or two clicks. I've set mine like this for years and clipping out in a hurry has never been a problem. Stiffer sole shoes also help as the rubbery ones tend to have lateral flex.

simplemind
09-04-2018, 10:42 PM
Basically no (good) reason to use clipless. Flats rule, unless you're just riding flat XC trails.