PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have real time on the Zipp 302

Nooch
08-30-2018, 07:11 AM
Long enough to give a solid review/opinion/comparison to other carbon clinchers?

Thanks!

Mark McM
08-30-2018, 11:14 AM
I haven't ridden this particular wheel, but perhaps I can offer an argument for alternative wheels.

Full carbon clincher wheels can be problematic, especially for rim brakes. While full carbon tubular rims can offer a weight advantage over aluminum rims, full carbon clinchers lose some or all of this advantage, because it takes a lot of carbon material to build clincher sidewalls. And for rim brakes, full carbon rims are a distinct disadvantage to aluminum rims, especially for shallow depth rims.

For mid-depth rims (like the Zipp 302), hybrid carbon aluminum rims are often a better option. These have similar weight and aerodynamics as full carbon clincher rims, with the advantages of the better braking and robustness of aluminum sidewalls. Plus, the hybrid rims are usually less expensive.

As an alternative, you might want to consider the Hed Jet 4 Plus wheels. Compared to the Zipp 302s:

Depth: HED - 46mm, Zipp - 45mm
Weight: HED - 1649 grams, Zipp - 1645 grams
Width: HED- 25mm/21mm, Zipp - 25.6mm/16.25mm (outer/inner)
Spokes: HED - 18 or 20 Front/24 or 28 Rear, Zipp - 20 Front/24 Rear
Price: HED - $1100/pair*, Zipp - $1500/pair

*Although the HED Jet 4 Plus has a list price of $1100, they are often discounted to $900. Also note that there is a HED Jet 4 Plus Black version, which has HED's Black sidewall treatment to improve braking, especially in the wet.

Davist
08-30-2018, 11:19 AM
My buddy has them, so 2nd hand from me. He rode part of the Natchez Trace and the Blue Ridge parkway this summer (~1500miles) and they performed well. Zipps need hub maintenance frequently (lubrication every 300-500 miles) which you need to keep on top of, but other than that (he comes from DT Swiss hubs which are fairly maintenance free) he likes them very much...

rnhood
08-30-2018, 11:24 AM
I agree with the above comments for the most part. Unless you are running disc brakes, aluminum brake tracks are more reliable, and imho safer.

chiasticon
08-30-2018, 12:09 PM
haven't ridden these, but just wanted to mention that carbon clinchers in this depth can indeed be a joy. I've got some Mavic Pro Carbon SL's that are 40mm depth and 1450 grams. I love 'em. get a bit of an aero boost on the flats plus they're very stiff/responsive and don't feel sluggish on climbs. I wouldn't ride 'em if I lived in a mountainous area, mind you, but around me they're fine.

Nooch
08-30-2018, 12:10 PM
I haven't ridden this particular wheel, but perhaps I can offer an argument for alternative wheels.

Full carbon clincher wheels can be problematic, especially for rim brakes. While full carbon tubular rims can offer a weight advantage over aluminum rims, full carbon clinchers lose some or all of this advantage, because it takes a lot of carbon material to build clincher sidewalls. And for rim brakes, full carbon rims are a distinct disadvantage to aluminum rims, especially for shallow depth rims.

For mid-depth rims (like the Zipp 302), hybrid carbon aluminum rims are often a better option. These have similar weight and aerodynamics as full carbon clincher rims, with the advantages of the better braking and robustness of aluminum sidewalls. Plus, the hybrid rims are usually less expensive.

As an alternative, you might want to consider the Hed Jet 4 Plus wheels. Compared to the Zipp 302s:

Depth: HED - 46mm, Zipp - 45mm
Weight: HED - 1649 grams, Zipp - 1645 grams
Width: HED- 25mm/21mm, Zipp - 25.6mm/16.25mm (outer/inner)
Spokes: HED - 18 or 20 Front/24 or 28 Rear, Zipp - 20 Front/24 Rear
Price: HED - $1100/pair*, Zipp - $1500/pair

*Although the HED Jet 4 Plus has a list price of $1100, they are often discounted to $900. Also note that there is a HED Jet 4 Plus Black version, which has HED's Black sidewall treatment to improve braking, especially in the wet.

Thanks Mark.

That said, I've got the opportunity to pick these up like new for less than half of retail, so specifically looking at these. I'm no stranger to carbon clinchers, have 404's and mavic cosmic pro's, so not concerned a bout the braking surface, either.

So yeah, just curious about the 302's :)

defspace
08-30-2018, 12:41 PM
Zipps need hub maintenance frequently (lubrication every 300-500 miles)

Is this for real? That's nuts.

Gummee
08-30-2018, 01:57 PM
Is this for real? That's nuts.

I'm pretty much anti-Zipp hubs at this point.

They don't stay in adjustment, etc

I'd much rather have DT Swiss in there

M