PDA

View Full Version : What's the best mainstream cycling magazine ATM

m4rk540
08-30-2018, 01:08 AM
Just read a good article on a minority team in Los Angeles.

https://www.bicycling.com/racing/a22824038/the-cncpt-team-is-gonna-break-road-racing/

soupless
08-30-2018, 01:29 AM
They’ve really stepped it up in the last few years. I got that issue at the airport and was pretty pleased.

I got the Procycling with Gaviria on the cover and that was better.

marciero
08-30-2018, 04:44 AM
I think the article you linked to is more interesting and raises more questions than the question you pose. Shades of Major Taylor with the dirty tactics and attitudes of some other teams. You can see already where the comments are headed.

m4rk540
08-30-2018, 04:50 AM
Yes, I don't understand the comment about the "racist card." That comment seems to echo sentiments one would hear when Tiger first won the Masters.

peanutgallery
08-30-2018, 07:18 AM
I like it

Roadies are so stereotypical, the SoCal scene even more so. More of these projects are needed

Elefantino
08-30-2018, 07:20 AM
Peloton is really good.

Outstanding bathroom reading.

josephr
08-30-2018, 08:36 AM
Yes, I don't understand the comment about the "racist card." That comment seems to echo sentiments one would hear when Tiger first won the Masters.

Living in the deep south, its not so much a racist card, but its more cultural stereotype breaking. Tiger is a good example, but don't the Williams' sisters serve as role models to young African American girls they can play tennis --- which, in the past, has been the sport of rich, white girls? Anything that gets kids out of the mindset of "I can't do that because I don't fit that socioeconomic class" is a good thing...bikes don't discriminate, anybody can ride one!

ptourkin
08-30-2018, 08:40 AM
Just read a good article on a minority team in Los Angeles.

https://www.bicycling.com/racing/a22824038/the-cncpt-team-is-gonna-break-road-racing/

The author is a good friend of mine who has been pushing that kind of content. The cycling magazine world isn't sure we want to see it.

Watching the younger elements of that team come up has been entertaining. LAVRA did a good job of encouraging people from the fixed racing scene to come to the track instead of being elitist. Also, the old man of the team roasts some nice coffee.

FlashUNC
08-30-2018, 09:21 AM
Rouleur is the gold standard imo.

velofinds
08-30-2018, 01:22 PM
Saw/read the OP's linked article in my news feed. Really good.

Spaghetti Legs
08-30-2018, 06:08 PM
Nice article. Way better than what I’m used to seeing on the occasional read of “Bicycling” mag.

My favorite mag is Procyling. I had a subscription to Rouleur back in it’s early days but I found it somewhat LA centric and off putting. I recently read an issue and didn’t get as much of that sense, so maybe it’s worth a second look.

BrianE
08-30-2018, 06:36 PM
I find Bicycle Quarterly an interesting read.

steelbikerider
08-30-2018, 08:39 PM
Velonews is still a good read. Usually a solid training article or 2 per month, race reports, high end bike reviews that aren't straight up ads, not quite a total sellout on the disc issue and good interviews and commentary. The hard copy seems to get shorter every year.

oldpotatoe
08-31-2018, 07:55 AM
Not really 'mainstream', but another vote for Rouleur..great stories..The one on Berzin is priceless..they didn't mention his name the entire story..showed a picture(no help) but then a picture of a poster with him on it..tremendous read..One about Ugo DeRosa too..not about bikes at all, but about kinda grouchy old Italian craftsmen...

wgp
08-31-2018, 03:09 PM
Thirds on Rouleur - head and shoulders above the rest! Printed on gorgeous heavy stock paper. It ain’t cheap, but it’s worth it. I’ve let my Peloton and VeloNews subscriptions go long ago and don’t see a return to either unless Rouleur were to fold.

A local bookstore used to get RIDE from Australia, and that was superb as well, but I haven’t seen it available for a few years now :-(

wgp
08-31-2018, 03:11 PM
Peloton is really good.

Outstanding bathroom reading.

Can’t tell if this is a complimentary reference or you share my disappointment with it?!?

Cat3roadracer
08-31-2018, 04:54 PM
Dirt Rag. I am a life subscriber.

ptourkin
08-31-2018, 05:41 PM
Can’t tell if this is a complimentary reference or you share my disappointment with it?!?

I understand how hard it is to run a print publication now, but Peloton is almost 100% advertorial content.

m4rk540
08-31-2018, 06:19 PM
Not sure if it's just nostalgia, but it seems that 4 or 5 years ago, Peloton was the Atlantic Monthly of cycling publications, long articles with a idiosyncratic point of view.

Wondering if there's anything out there that has filled Paved's niche:

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/north-america/2013/12/17/paved-magazine-stop-publishing#.W4nNA-llA2w

pincopallinobis
08-31-2018, 06:45 PM
'Asphalt' was good too. There seem to be no interesting ones now, not in English.

Volksbike
08-31-2018, 08:29 PM
Velonews is still a good read. Usually a solid training article or 2 per month, race reports, high end bike reviews that aren't straight up ads, not quite a total sellout on the disc issue and good interviews and commentary. The hard copy seems to get shorter every year.

This. I have many old issues from VeloNews. Been solid coverage over the years...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk