PDA

View Full Version : Mavic Ksyrium Equipe Rim

cmbicycles
08-29-2018, 10:58 PM
I have a 2006+/- Mavic Ksyrium Equipe rear wheel with about 5 cracks at the spoke holes.

Plan is to try and source a replacement 20h rim and reuse the spokes. I saw a couple Aksium rims on ebay for $30 that look similar, but no ERD on Mavic's tech website for any "wheel system" components. I emailed and they told me it's a liability to give that information as they can't guarantee the wheel as a system. Uh, really? Not very helpful, but should have expected as much from mavic.

ultraman6970
08-30-2018, 12:08 AM
I think I have a krysum ssc rear rim moving around, no idea if it will work with your wheel.

cmbicycles
08-30-2018, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the offer Ultra, but the rims use different spokes/nipples so wouldn't work for this wheel.

dddd
08-31-2018, 12:09 AM
I was in the same boat with a rear Equipe wheel, but found a new Fulcrum 24h rear wheel that had all of it's rear axle parts removed, so quite inexpensive.
I compared the spoke depth at each wheels rim and they are within a mm or two of each other, so I'm crossing fingers for now.

ergott
08-31-2018, 09:34 AM
20 spoke rear wheel developed cracks and you want to rebuild it the same way? Sounds like a fool's errand and not even with a particularly good hub. I'd pass if I were you. Spend your free time building a better wheel and you can get all the parts from bikehubstore.com

cmbicycles
08-31-2018, 03:04 PM
Ergott, I appreciate the advice, and would answer similarly given that I didn't offer any other info. This is an exercise in good will to help someone out, and trying to keep spending to a minimum. If I had a rear wheel to give I would, but I don't, and haven't found anything worthwhile locally. I do have the capability to rebuild the wheel in question for much less than buying a new wheel, or even the individual components, providing I can find an appropriate rim.

I realize it isn't the best quality wheel to begin with, but these wheels were built with pretty husky rims so presumably some reasonable strength in them. I don't think a 12 year old rim owes anyone anything, so if its lasted this long rebuilding probably isn't the worst thing that could happen. Is it ideal, maybe not, but its not an ideal situation that still requires a solution. We could let the wheel go and ride til it pops spokes, or re-lace to a similar rim and let it roll a little longer.

Coming up with 590 erd on the wheel I have, so we'll see what I can find that's close and cheap.

ergott
09-01-2018, 12:06 AM
Pacenti Forza and Boyd Altamont Lite should work.

dddd
09-01-2018, 01:01 AM
20 spoke rear wheel developed cracks and you want to rebuild it the same way? Sounds like a fool's errand and not even with a particularly good hub. I'd pass if I were you. Spend your free time building a better wheel and you can get all the parts from bikehubstore.com

It's super-common to find factory wheelsets that have seemingly met their end because of cracks in the rear rim.

BTW the Equippe wheels are 24h in back, not 20h.
I recently had a fellow club member buy a couple of Yoleo carbon rims so that I could rebuild his OEM Bontrager wheelset (18/24h) that had develoed cracks in the rear rim. He couldn't find an original or aftermarket alloy rim to repair it with using the original spokes, so he bought the deeper carbon rims at very low cost and I rebuilt them with 264mm Wheelsmith spokes that I had on hand, left over from my days building 26" mtb wheels.
A lot of Ksyrium SSC and Elite wheelsets are also sitting around unused just because of cracks in the rear rim, which seems a shame.

dddd
09-01-2018, 11:27 AM
Pacenti Forza and Boyd Altamont Lite should work.

Thanks for those recommendations. These Forzas are even available in 24h and offset for the rear, so might save someone's wheelset and possibly their original spokes.

I had wondered if replacing the one guy's 18/24h rims was cost-effective, but he wanted to go with the deep Yoleo carbon rims even though the rear rim lacked the offset of the original alloy rim. His total cost for the rim swap was about $500 and the 40/60mm wheels are not light (1750 iir), but at least they are hand-built and have a steel freehub body (he's about 6'2" and 220). I hope their braking performance meets his needs in this mostly-dry part of the country, since he may be surprised the first time he needs a quick stop in the rain.

cmbicycles
09-02-2018, 03:23 PM
BTW the Equippe wheels are 24h in back, not 20h.

If I take my socks off to count with fingers and toes, spokes and phalanges match... and I am not the six fingered (or toed?) man. Maybe newer Equipe wheels have 24 spokes, that would be a better design, but I can assure you mine has 20... radial DS and crossed NDS fwiw.

Thanks for the rim suggestions Ergott I'll see what works out with this one.

sitzmark
09-02-2018, 04:03 PM
If I take my socks off to count with fingers and toes, spokes and phalanges match... and I am not the six fingered (or toed?) man. Maybe newer Equipe wheels have 24 spokes, that would be a better design, but I can assure you mine has 20... radial DS and crossed NDS fwiw.

Thanks for the rim suggestions Ergott I'll see what works out with this one.

The older Kysrium Equipe wheels had 24H. Switch to 20H was 2008.

YesNdeed
09-02-2018, 05:27 PM
I have a 18/20h Equipe wheelset collecting dust. Happy to pass the rear or both along. PM if interested.