PDA

View Full Version : Peg prices....

oldguy00
08-29-2018, 07:14 PM
Folks trying to price gouge much??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pegoretti-Silca-SuperPista-Ciavete-Final-Edition/153121136082?hash=item23a6bb1dd2:g:23AAAOSwPAtbYIf c

jeez....

zennmotion
08-29-2018, 07:24 PM
Marin County entitled POS. Dario's not even had his memorials yet.

bob heinatz
08-29-2018, 07:26 PM
What a bargin. Does he give a discount if you buy more than one? Yes there is always someone trying to take advantage of any situation.

Clean39T
08-29-2018, 07:39 PM
It was $9,990 the day after he passed. I wrote the seller a not very kind note...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OtayBW
08-29-2018, 08:29 PM
Seller is a low-life POS slimeball...IMNSHO....:butt:

RoadWhale
08-29-2018, 09:03 PM
I don't know what the market was on Pegorettis before Dario's passing. But compared to the tire pump, this listing seems reasonable.

Pegoretti Love #3 60cm https://goo.gl/EWJSAB

thwart
08-29-2018, 09:23 PM
I don't know what the market was on Pegorettis before Dario's passing. But compared to the tire pump, this listing seems reasonable.

Pegoretti Love #3 60cm https://goo.gl/EWJSAB

A nice Love #3 built with Chorus and Fulcrum Zero's for $3K is not a bad deal. At all.

jet sanchez
08-29-2018, 09:57 PM
A nice Love #3 built with Chorus and Fulcrum Zero's for $3K is not a bad deal. At all.

It's $6K

RoadWhale
08-29-2018, 09:58 PM
It was 3k when I posted the link. The Pump Guy must have reached out to the Seller. Unreal.

RoadWhale
08-29-2018, 09:59 PM

Glad you saw it at 3k as well!

Jef58
08-30-2018, 05:11 AM
AFAIK, other than the niche crowd, Peg prices seem outrageous to the typical cyclist I know. The same crowd that goes to the local Trek store would consider riding any steel bike crazy let alone paying +3500$ for a bare bike. These would be mainly the younger crowd that followed Postal Tour coverage without any real cycling history or brands that paved the way for great riding bikes.

Personally, Peg's are not that bad of a deal considering a high quality steel frame, fork and headset. Usually very good prep and service comes with the purchase as well.

oldpotatoe
08-30-2018, 07:04 AM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pegoretti-Silca-SuperPista-Ciavete-Final-Edition/153121136082?hash=item23a6bb1dd2:g:23AAAOSwPAtbYIf c

jeez....

Zero feedback...:eek:

fignon's barber
08-30-2018, 07:15 AM

jeez....

I just made a "make an offer" for 99 cents (wouldn't allow 1 penny).

chiasticon
08-30-2018, 07:41 AM
It's $6Kdown to 5K now.

it's lame for people to gouge, but I'm not surprised in the least.

riceburner
08-30-2018, 08:04 AM
That pump was part of Silca's prophetic last run of the Pegoretti pumps and was sold for around $1200-$1300 or so I think at retail and then I saw it immediately relisted on ebay for $4999. It was raised to the current amount of $4999 upon news of Dario's passing.

charliedid
08-30-2018, 08:20 AM
I don't see the problem here. It's a bike pump originally created as Artwork to appeal to those with fuzzy emotions and deep pockets.

No more gouging than the original.

Same as it ever was.

cderalow
08-30-2018, 08:30 AM
it's at 9999.99 now.

it takes all sorts.

jemdet
08-30-2018, 08:34 AM
Principled thinking often goes out the window when there's an opportunity to make some cash. Not just true in the cycling world.

Internet sales bring anonymity. Someone bites, the frame or pump gets shipped, the cash appears in the bank account. The seller's friends and family don't have to know that a loved one capitalized on the death of a beloved framebuilder. Sellers like these have no one to answer to but themselves - most won't ask the questions.

Fishbike
08-30-2018, 09:07 AM
Meh. Supply and demand. It’s not like it’s food or gas or medicine. The market will do it’s thing.

I, on the other hand, will continue to ride my a Pegorettis. I treasure them in ways that have nothing to do with their monetary value.

charliedid
08-30-2018, 09:13 AM
Principled thinking often goes out the window when there's an opportunity to make some cash. Not just true in the cycling world.

Internet sales bring anonymity. Someone bites, the frame or pump gets shipped, the cash appears in the bank account. The seller's friends and family don't have to know that a loved one capitalized on the death of a beloved framebuilder. Sellers like these have no one to answer to but themselves - most won't ask the questions.

Sure but let's be clear here. This is still just a decorative bike pump, where profit was part of the equation all along. This is not a distributor pulling production bikes and re-listing them at 10x the original cost.

Also, this is in no way the equivalent to going to italy and meeting with Dario to have a custom bike made for you. God forbid you ever sell such a thing, after you grow tired of it.

pjbaz
08-30-2018, 09:27 AM
I'm fortunate to own two Pegorettis so I'm not looking for another - unless like the two I own I can come up with another great deal - but don't think these price inflations are limited to private sellers.

I've watched the Peg market for the past 5-6 years while searching for my own and while prices can and do fluctuate, and undoubtedly will rise in many circles on speculation since his death, I've seen prices already climbing, albeit in a small way, at one retailer.

I'm not going to "out" that dealer, but a few frame prices have crept up a couple hundred bucks. Supply and demand are a part of capitalism, and are principles I agree with as a capitalist, but I think we're in uncharted territory in some ways.

My take, FWIW, is that prices will be artificially high for the next 6-12 months then settle back to reality as the market corrects itself. Owning two I can comfortably saw I'm very glad I took the plunge and bought them as they are wonderful. Sadly, I always thought I'd have time to save up and get a Ciavete made just for me :-(

Black Dog
08-30-2018, 09:34 AM
A lot of time spent clutching pearls here. Who cares, really. The guy can sell the pump at any price someone is willing to pay. He is in no way harming anyone or taking advantage of someone. Bad taste, perhaps, harmless none the less. The item is his and not collective property of ours. Do any of you think that Dario would even care? All this outrage is really misplaced in my opinion. Want to honour the memory of Dario, go out and ride and live your own life to the fullest in the time you have left and don’t waste that time trying to tell others how to live theirs. Life is precious, everting else is just stuff.

William
08-30-2018, 10:08 AM
Eh, people being people. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

William

bicycletricycle
08-30-2018, 10:15 AM
+1 on this. I understand why people might think it is bad taste but who cares really. Which one of us wouldn't be willing to pay more for a Peg. right now.

A lot of time spent clutching pearls here. Who cares, really. The guy can sell the pump at any price someone is willing to pay. He is in no way harming anyone or taking advantage of someone. Bad taste, perhaps, harmless none the less. The item is his and not collective property of ours. Do any of you think that Dario would even care? All this outrage is really misplaced in my opinion. Want to honour the memory of Dario, go out and ride and live your own life to the fullest in the time you have left and don’t waste that time trying to tell others how to live theirs. Life is precious, everting else is just stuff.

earlfoss
08-30-2018, 10:19 AM
Works from good artists tend to appreciate posthumously. No surprise here. Like you'd have bought it at the original Silca price anyway. Frankly, the Paceline price police needs to give it a rest.

FlashUNC
08-30-2018, 10:36 AM
Y'all are gonna be shocked what happened to the price of Van Goghs after he died.

OtayBW
08-30-2018, 10:38 AM
Bad taste, perhaps, harmless none the less.Of course s/he's not harming anyone. It is precisely the 'bad taste' aspect that I find - well, 'offensive'. I wouldn't hire, work with, or very likely be friends with anyone who displays this kind of lack of moral conviction....
But that's just my 0.02 centavos.

chiasticon
08-30-2018, 10:40 AM
yeah, I mean... if you were after a piece by a famous artist and they died, would you not expect to then pay more? that's what's happening here.

just don't pay extra for a non-Ciavete frame from the last few years. as reported from inside the shop, Dario didn't even touch those. so buying one made after his death is basically the same.

charliedid
08-30-2018, 11:44 AM
I'm fortunate to own two Pegorettis so I'm not looking for another - unless like the two I own I can come up with another great deal - but don't think these price inflations are limited to private sellers.

I've watched the Peg market for the past 5-6 years while searching for my own and while prices can and do fluctuate, and undoubtedly will rise in many circles on speculation since his death, I've seen prices already climbing, albeit in a small way, at one retailer.

I'm not going to "out" that dealer, but a few frame prices have crept up a couple hundred bucks. Supply and demand are a part of capitalism, and are principles I agree with as a capitalist, but I think we're in uncharted territory in some ways.

My take, FWIW, is that prices will be artificially high for the next 6-12 months then settle back to reality as the market corrects itself. Owning two I can comfortably saw I'm very glad I took the plunge and bought them as they are wonderful. Sadly, I always thought I'd have time to save up and get a Ciavete made just for me :-(

Yes, and with any luck nobody will pay those prices.

avalonracing
08-30-2018, 11:54 AM
And if it sells for $10K how many of you who own one of these will suddenly realize that you "have one pump too many and need to thin the herd and use the Bontrager pump more often so..." ?

sitzmark
08-30-2018, 12:06 PM
Paceline so weird...

I doubt any of the exorbitantly priced items will sell at anywhere near asking, but if someone praises Dario's work so highly that it would bring them happiness to own a piece of it at whatever price, how does that hurt anyone here?

More of a tribute to Dario than disrespect. His work is obviously coveted but probably not to the degree pumpman hopes.

marciero
08-30-2018, 12:36 PM
Asking $X and getting $X two different things. These guys are testing the waters. No one person can dictate the market though. Maybe a bit distasteful so soon-the idea of directly cashing in on someone's death, and in a big way. It doesn't matter if Dario would not have cared. If it were me I would be jazzed at the idea that something I produced had increased in value dramatically upon my death. I wonder if there are people who held off selling their Pegs. Waiting.
So yes a little distasteful but
What if you sold your Peg last month and then next week you saw one just like it sell on ebay for $5k more? Would you not wish you had waited to sell?

My guess, based on nothing at all, is that the market will increase a little and and settle back to where it was.

jemdet
08-30-2018, 03:15 PM
Sure but let's be clear here. This is still just a decorative bike pump, where profit was part of the equation all along. This is not a distributor pulling production bikes and re-listing them at 10x the original cost.

Also, this is in no way the equivalent to going to italy and meeting with Dario to have a custom bike made for you. God forbid you ever sell such a thing, after you grow tired of it.

Of course, artificial scarcity is a cynical way to make money. It tries to juke the market (the degree to which "worth" is determined by sentimentality or intrinsic value is both above my pay grade and probably a gray area.)

I could buy every available Nuovo Record crankset, enough to artificially inflate their price. No one could stop me! And why would they? I'm not taking food off of anyone's plate. This isn't essential medicine. No one needs such a thing, nor does anyone need a Pegoretti frame or decorative pump.

But what if I was aided by a fire that destroyed another collector's house? What if scarcity increased as someone lost their father, or their wife, or aunt, or dog? Would I double the price of my ebay listings? I've never been in that situation before. I hope that I would handle it differently than the folks price-gouging Pegs right now.

I recognize that I would have no obligation to. I also recognize that a small amount of money can mean a lot to someone's quality of life. So many people have profited off of their "luck," how could I tell someone that they aren't allowed to?

None of this makes it any less lousy to me. Did I know Dario? No. Do I know whether he would have cared? Same answer. Even if he would have, no one else has to. Those are the rules. But - if you don't, there is value in asking yourself why you don't, and recognizing that it may just be that we are inured to the inconsiderate behavior of others. That's all.

pdmtong
08-30-2018, 03:30 PM
That pump was part of Silca's prophetic last run of the Pegoretti pumps and was sold for around $1200-$1300 or so I think at retail and then I saw it immediately relisted on ebay for $4999. It was raised to the current amount of $4999 upon news of Dario's passing.

Those dario / silca floor pumps sold out in minutes upon release for the $1200-1300.

it's art at this point, no longer a pump.

art sells for whatever art sells for.

pincopallinobis
08-30-2018, 04:09 PM
Complete bs, sorry.

Not regarding the eBay price, because who cares anyway really (...if someone pays 10,000 who else is to judge; and the seller may even be a member here for all anyone knows), but rather these other ludicrous claims.

Anything sells for whatever anything sells for, whether classified as art or not.

These things were not, are not, and never will be art. They just are not, nor was that ever their intent in production.

They are in fact just still Silca bicycle pumps, albeit decorated by a person who had a great eye and skill. So are Delft pottery or I don't know, carved latigo belts made by somebody in some Texas hill town.

Did the painter think of these are art? Not in the least, ever. He certainly knew art, very very well, fluent in it. He didn't even think of a Ciavete frameset he may have painted all night long as art though.

That other people ascribe such lofty terms to the products he made, well, that's their conceit, not his. He was not nearly as pretentious as all that.

colker
08-30-2018, 04:17 PM
Complete bs, sorry.

Not regarding the eBay price, because who cares anyway really (...if someone pays 10,000 who else is to judge; and the seller may even be a member here for all anyone knows), but rather these other ludicrous claims.

Anything sells for whatever anything sells for, whether classified as art or not.

These things were not, are not, and never will be art. They just are not, nor was that ever their intent in production.

They are in fact just still Silca bicycle pumps, albeit decorated by a person who had a great eye and skill. So are Delft pottery or I don't know, carved latigo belts made by somebody in some Texas hill town.

Did the painter think of these are art? Not in the least, ever. He certainly knew art, very very well, fluent in it. He didn't even think of a Ciavete frameset he may have painted all night long as art though.

That other people ascribe such lofty terms to the products he made, well, that's their conceit, not his. He was not nearly as pretentious as all that.

True.

glepore
08-30-2018, 04:17 PM
You think this is bad? You shoulda seen the Ferrari market when Enzo died.

I agree its tasteless. But as far as the artworks go (and that's what they were) I get it, as there will be no more. But wait until after those that mourn have a minute.

Tickdoc
08-30-2018, 04:33 PM
Human nature sucks, but it is just a knee jerk reaction to his untimely departure.

I've been on two great rides on this bike since Dario left and it is an odd feeling knowing he is here no more.

Bought mine second hand, third hand, fourth hand? I hate to admit that it did cross my mind at the time that he wouldn't be around forever and I wanted to at least try one while I could. I would never sell mine now only to profit from the situation. I bought it because it is such a beautiful machine and I keep it because it rides so well. It's my second bike made by a master and only the second bike that feels like it was made specifically for me. That connection is so rare that neither of them will be sold.

Such a loss.

pdmtong
08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
If it’s not art then would you call it a decoration premium ?

How else to explain the want it stirs?

charliedid
08-30-2018, 09:07 PM
Of course, artificial scarcity is a cynical way to make money. It tries to juke the market (the degree to which "worth" is determined by sentimentality or intrinsic value is both above my pay grade and probably a gray area.)

I could buy every available Nuovo Record crankset, enough to artificially inflate their price. No one could stop me! And why would they? I'm not taking food off of anyone's plate. This isn't essential medicine. No one needs such a thing, nor does anyone need a Pegoretti frame or decorative pump.

But what if I was aided by a fire that destroyed another collector's house? What if scarcity increased as someone lost their father, or their wife, or aunt, or dog? Would I double the price of my ebay listings? I've never been in that situation before. I hope that I would handle it differently than the folks price-gouging Pegs right now.

I recognize that I would have no obligation to. I also recognize that a small amount of money can mean a lot to someone's quality of life. So many people have profited off of their "luck," how could I tell someone that they aren't allowed to?

None of this makes it any less lousy to me. Did I know Dario? No. Do I know whether he would have cared? Same answer. Even if he would have, no one else has to. Those are the rules. But - if you don't, there is value in asking yourself why you don't, and recognizing that it may just be that we are inured to the inconsiderate behavior of others. That's all.

I don't disagree that it's lousy I just refuse to get too worked up about stuff like this. It's always been with us and always will.

He's a bit greedy but he's not doing anything reprehensible in the grand scheme of things.

Bike stuff.

thunderworks
08-30-2018, 10:06 PM

Well said. Couldn't agree more. Politicizing free market exchanges in a capitalist economy is nonsense.