PDA

View Full Version : saddle advice

one60
08-29-2018, 04:02 PM
My favorite saddles are the Fizik Aliante and the Fabric Scoop Radius in 143mm. I moved from the Aliante to the Scoop because the Aliante was a bit too firm.

I am wanting to try a wider saddle with a similar shape. The Scoop does come in a wide version but only with an air gel top which is likely to be too soft for my liking.

I see the Aliante is now available in a wide (large) version but I think the updated Aliante changed its shape and may be too rigid/firm?

Interested in whether the Bontrager Serano would be a good choice or other recommendations based on real world experience. Thanks in advance!

macaroon
08-29-2018, 04:08 PM
You're thinking along the right lines with the Serano, similar curvy shape to both the Scoop and the Aliante. I've not used a new Aliante so can't comment on that. From memory, the Serano feels a bit firmer than both the Scoop and the old Aliante. Specialized Romin is another you could try.

macaroon
10-30-2018, 05:49 AM
Bump,

I've just cracked the shell on my Serano so looking for a replacement.

Who else makes a "curvy" saddle like the Fizik/Fabric/Romin?

Ralph
10-30-2018, 05:59 AM
Fizik is either owned by or is part of the group that includes Selle Royal.....a saddle company that generally makes saddles that have more padding and comfort than their more racing oriented Fizik line (according to their literature). Selle Royal seems to make saddles for cycling enthusiasts and concentrates on comfort VS maybe weight, etc. But they have a full line. believe they actually own Fizik.

I'm currently using a Selle Royal Scientia (9 versions available) in 159 MM width (A3) on one of my bikes. It's the athletic version, A3 is designed for 45 degree back angles. Plenty of padding. I may ride slightly lower than that, but it still works fine. My orthopedic Doc said it's time for some of us older guys to seek more padding for our butts.

Joxster
10-30-2018, 01:50 PM
Go get a saddle fit, ideally get a shop that has a couple of brands to choose from. Prologo is the largest saddle company making for Spesh, Shimano, Bonty, Merida and a load of other OE companies so the fitting system for all those companies are the same. I will say a saddle fit is 95% accurate as there is always an anomoly (me) The more flexible you are the bigger a cut out is the rule of thumb, a wider saddle isn't always best as your sit bones don't widen as you get older (unless you've given birth recently)