PDA

View Full Version : Best bike frame pump?

R3awak3n
08-29-2018, 06:48 AM
I am a frame pump guy, I was actually pretty sad that my OPEN is not really a good bike for a frame pump... it can be worked in there but just not right. Luckily I run tubeless on that and so I don't really have to worry about flats for at least 1000 miles, maybe a bit more. I carry a mini pump on that bike :butt:

But still have a couple of bikes that see the mighty, one and only, frame pump.
I have my trusty topeak which I love. Cheap, reliable, light, does what it is suppose to do. Not pretty but who cares.
I had a new silca impero. Was not a fan at all and before D2R2 one of my good friends came over and said he wanted to buy one, that it would look so good on his Cielo (he is right, it is a good looking pump, nothing can touch it) so I just gave it to him... I told him, I don't really like the pump, works fine but like the topeak better.

Then I heard that topeak is discontinuing the master blaster. Anyone know the truth to this? I need to buy another one since I like to have 2 pumps (1 stays in the city and one stay upstate) but if they really are discontinuing them I might just have to buy 2 of them.

I have never tried the zefal pumps, are these as good as the topeaks? is there another pump I am not aware of? (I know people like the old silcas with campy heads but thats too much trouble/money for what I want it).

AngryScientist
08-29-2018, 06:56 AM
it's true and it sucks. good reminder i need to find and order another for a back-up.

i've tried a bunch of them, including the silca also, and i still think the topeak is the best one out there. the spring lock-out in the handle is what makes it so good IMO. i use the couple i have a lot, in fact, on my travel bike it's the only pump i take with me, so it often airs up tires from empty. sigh.

http://blackmtncycles.com/its-tough-being-a-luddite/

David Tollefson
08-29-2018, 07:07 AM
Zefal HPx. I had one years ago, don't even remember why I went away from using it. I've tried a bunch of mini pumps (including the latest being a Silca Pocket Impero), and I'm back to the venerable Zefal.

chiasticon
08-29-2018, 07:07 AM
I have a few. I should pick up more, just in case (although they're already tough to find). really sucks they're discontinuing it. it's way better than the Impero.

biker72
08-29-2018, 07:08 AM
Another vote for Zefal HPX. Excellent pump.

R3awak3n
08-29-2018, 07:11 AM
it's true and it sucks. good reminder i need to find and order another for a back-up.

i've tried a bunch of them, including the silca also, and i still think the topeak is the best one out there. the spring lock-out in the handle is what makes it so good IMO. i use the couple i have a lot, in fact, on my travel bike it's the only pump i take with me, so it often airs up tires from empty. sigh.

http://blackmtncycles.com/its-tough-being-a-luddite/

Its all I use in the city, never bring a floor pump. The pump does its job well.
It really is indeed the locking head. The silca is missing that, you are pretty much trying to hold something into something to pump air into it, does not make sense at all. They sacrificed usefulness for looks imo. I am going to order a couple from chain reaction.

I assume your pump is a small? There are a coupe of smalls on ebay for $12 each, brand new.

Zefal HPx. I had one years ago, don't even remember why I went away from using it. I've tried a bunch of mini pumps (including the latest being a Silca Pocket Impero), and I'm back to the venerable Zefal.

Thats the question, do I try the Zefal or not? I may get 1 Zefal and 1 Topeak.

I have a few. I should pick up more, just in case (although they're already tough to find). really sucks they're discontinuing it. it's way better than the Impero.

they really are hard to find, not many left in the US that I can find, at least in Large. I will order from the UK.

R3awak3n
08-29-2018, 07:11 AM

that settles it, I will get a Zefal and a topeak. Will put them head to head

zzy
08-29-2018, 07:35 AM
You can borrow one of my zefals hpxs if you want to see for yourself. They're practical but a touch plasticy. But a pump is a simple device and there's no need for 100 dollar units.

skouri1
08-29-2018, 07:44 AM
The zefal can be made better looking if you want by removing the handle near the pump head. can be done with a LONG screwdriver extension and a little alcohol or acetone to free up the light glue. that was my compromise. :) I too had the silca, but the zeal just works and will do so for maybe even two decades with no real maintenance from what I've heard.

R3awak3n
08-29-2018, 07:52 AM
You can borrow one of my zefals hpxs if you want to see for yourself. They're practical but a touch plasticy. But a pump is a simple device and there's no need for 100 dollar units.

You know what? Now that you mentioned, I have used your zefal. You brought it to me when I had a flat and I had forgotten my topeak. I remember it getting the job done well aka dont remember disliking it less than my topeak.

I will pick one up

oldpotatoe
08-29-2018, 07:54 AM
I have one of these..kinda neat as it adjusts to the frame, length wise..kinda rattly but it works.
https://www.donsbikeshop.com/product/park-tool-dial-adjust-frame-pump-41099-1.htm?gclid=Cj0KCQjwiJncBRC1ARIsAOvG-a5A54wlwSKXIs4o60e3OBEDk33H-AEq96t7C_SpSUE1f-_buocaaKoaAivIEALw_wcB

R3awak3n
08-29-2018, 08:25 AM
I have one of these..kinda neat as it adjusts to the frame, length wise..kinda rattly but it works.
https://www.donsbikeshop.com/product/park-tool-dial-adjust-frame-pump-41099-1.htm?gclid=Cj0KCQjwiJncBRC1ARIsAOvG-a5A54wlwSKXIs4o60e3OBEDk33H-AEq96t7C_SpSUE1f-_buocaaKoaAivIEALw_wcB

those are clever that you do not need sizes for your frame but you get a smaller barrel :) and its all about the barrel size :eek:

saab2000
08-29-2018, 08:43 AM
I've been using various versions of Zéfal HPx pumps for decades, pretty much since I started riding. Including the old HP that had a seat post mounted bracket to hold it in place.

Today I use HPx pumps, including a newish one that is still probably nearly a decade old. It has more plastic and less aluminum. My aluminum ones are showing corrosion in a couple places.

They install nicely with a pump peg but I still use a velcro strap to keep it 100% secure and rattle-free.

Can new HPx pumps be ordered? They're the gold standard for me and whenever I need to pump up a tire in the wild I'm never sorry I have it.

oldpotatoe
08-29-2018, 08:45 AM
I've been using various versions of Zéfal HPx pumps for decades, pretty much since I started riding. Including the old HP that had a seat post mounted bracket to hold it in place.

Today I use HPx pumps, including a newish one that is still probably nearly a decade old. It has more plastic and less aluminum. My aluminum ones are showing corrosion in a couple places.

They install nicely with a pump peg but I still use a velcro strap to keep it 100% secure and rattle-free.

Can new HPx pumps be ordered? They're the gold standard for me and whenever I need to pump up a tire in the wild I'm never sorry I have it.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=zefal+frame+pump&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=228986945160&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7044534328986221095&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028820&hvtargid=kwd-316877097273&ref=pd_sl_2ryobhokal_e_p38

saab2000
08-29-2018, 08:47 AM
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=zefal+frame+pump&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=228986945160&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7044534328986221095&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028820&hvtargid=kwd-316877097273&ref=pd_sl_2ryobhokal_e_p38

Those are my old style ones. The new one works just as well.

They're good for easily 100 PSI and there have been many times when I went without a floor pump for weeks at a time and just used one of these.

In fact, the bike I keep at my mother's place in Minneapolis has one of these and I use it effectively all the time. No floor pump there. Just the HPx and it works great and has for years.

chiasticon
08-29-2018, 08:52 AM
https://www.donsbikeshop.com/product/park-tool-dial-adjust-frame-pump-41099-1.htm?gclid=Cj0KCQjwiJncBRC1ARIsAOvG-a5A54wlwSKXIs4o60e3OBEDk33H-AEq96t7C_SpSUE1f-_buocaaKoaAivIEALw_wcBI have this too and dislike it. for one, the rattle is annoying as hell. and two, higher pressures are more difficult with it than with the Topeak one. the Silca Impero has the exact same problem; barrel is fatter so higher pressures require more effort.

still, it beats a minipump. and if you have multiple bike shapes/sizes, it's better than trying to buy a pump for each.

AngryScientist
08-29-2018, 08:54 AM
yea, sorry Peter, i tried one of those, but the Park version is easily the worst one on the market. clunky, rattly and crudely made. hard pass on that one.

R3awak3n
08-29-2018, 09:36 AM
I also love on the topeak the hp switch. Dunno if it works or bot but for the last pumps I always switch it on and its very satisfying lol

hollowgram5
08-29-2018, 09:40 AM
I have the topeak version and I have a Planet Bike on that I've had for many years both work very well. This thread makes me understand how important it is that I buy some spares for the rest of my bikes.

Every bike should have it's own.. and I just can't stomach the price of the Impero.

mktng
08-29-2018, 09:41 AM
I have the Topeak Road Master blaster. Amazing frame pump for the price.

I also have the park tools frame pump. It works well. Its nice that it can adjust to fit any bike. Parts, im hoping since its park tools, will always be available or at least easy to source.

They both get you back on the road at 80+psi with no sweat.

They are both also very affordable. Which is a bonus.

saab2000
08-29-2018, 09:51 AM
I have this too and dislike it. for one, the rattle is annoying as hell. and two, higher pressures are more difficult with it than with the Topeak one.

I haven't used the Silca Impero or the Topeak (though I do use a Topeak Race Rocket mini pump to great effect) but I have no trouble with the Zéfal. Make sure the upper handle rotating piece is in the right place and that the head is locked to the valve. I have no difficulty getting to 100 PSI though it is not without effort at higher pressures.

Yes, it does rattle though. I will admit that. It needs a velcro strap on my bikes. Not a great solution but it's rattle-free and I know it's not going anywhere.

Pinned
08-29-2018, 10:04 AM
I have two Zefal HPx pumps, no doubt they work very well and stay put without a strap (though I use one anyways). I've had to air the same tire up multiple times in a ride, and even from zero they'll get 80psi or more into the tire quickly and easily. I really would prefer a Silca Impero from a style perspective, but it doesn't look like the head has a lock on it and that seems like it may cause trouble - plus the Silca is $165 and the Zefal is $35.

The only downsides to the Zefal are a slight rattle at times and its less-than-Impero looks.

zennmotion
08-29-2018, 10:05 AM
I was searching around for a NOS Silca for my 80s re-enactment old man's "L'Eroica" bike (beautiful old Marinoni but still slightly embarassing pursuit) I saw several on ebay at shocking price and I came to my senses- the old Silcas were OK- better than anything else BIDT, but silly to collect when there's better newer designs. So as a PSA---Topeak Road Pump in Size XL (fits 56ish to 60ish?) is on sale for 20 Bucks at probikekit. It's a perfect tight fit on my 56cm top tube, no strap needed. I think these things are no longer made?:eek: and the best frame pump ever IMO- and I have a new Silca Impero that's heavier and much (much!) more expensive as comparison. I bought two for hoarding. Grab them!

trener1
08-29-2018, 10:11 AM
I really like the Topeak Master Blaster, I just lost mine a couple of weeks ago, if anyone finds a source for a Medium please post up.

zennmotion
08-29-2018, 10:12 AM
I have two Zefal HPx pumps, no doubt they work very well and stay put without a strap (though I use one anyways). I've had to air the same tire up multiple times in a ride, and even from zero they'll get 80psi or more into the tire quickly and easily. I really would prefer a Silca Impero from a style perspective, but it doesn't look like the head has a lock on it and that seems like it may cause trouble - plus the Silca is $165 and the Zefal is $35.

The only downsides to the Zefal are a slight rattle at times and its less-than-Impero looks.

The lack of a lock on the Silca has never been an issue, but agreed that the Zefals are great pumps, lighter and much cheaper. I have one where the lock lever broke off, stuck a washer in behind the rubber gasket to act as a spacer without the lever- and it still works great AND------no more rattle!:hello: You can also silence the rattle by slipping a section of an old road tube over the end of the lever/pump end if it really bothers you.

zennmotion
08-29-2018, 10:24 AM
I really like the Topeak Master Blaster, I just lost mine a couple of weeks ago, if anyone finds a source for a Medium please post up.

https://www.donsbikeshop.com/product/topeak-road-masterblaster-46779-1.htm?variations=85643&gclid=Cj0KCQjwiJncBRC1ARIsAOvG-a5I3l72Q1mIRWNPnmP0dyVAHkgiSOafraJXD6xJC5UPduIpSh8 t0WoaAqllEALw_wcB

The same shop as posted by Old Spud above for the Park.

weisan
08-29-2018, 10:30 AM
I have two frame pumps crap out on me when I needed them on a ride to fix a flat. To be fair, they were both used and picked up from the co-op with an unknown history. From then on, I have made sure that the frame pumps I carry are fully functional and in good working condition. After all, the only reason to haul a bigger volume pump around is so that you can take advantage of it when you needed it. I have found the Topeak Master and the Zefal HPX to be very reliable and best bang for the buck overall. When it gets down to it, I have to say I like hpx better than Topeak in terms of on the job performance.

Alaska Mike
08-29-2018, 11:30 AM
I've had good luck with Lezyne Road Drives (large version) over the years. I like the flexible hose, and the silver one tucks in nicely behind the seat tube bottle cage and blends in with my titanium frames. I ride in the rain and less-than-optimal conditions regularly that have killed other mini pumps, and they haven't failed me yet.

If I was riding a bespoke steel frame or a classic, a Silca frame pump would probably be the only thing I'd mount- for style points alone.

donevwil
08-29-2018, 12:00 PM
My #2 hoarding item: Blackburn FP-1 frame pumps, still common on ebay. I've had two Zefal HPXs and the Blackburn is simply better. Function the same when new, but the Blackburns age better after plenty of wet weather and dirt abuse.

Primary benefit of the HPX is that they are still available retail.

mktng
08-29-2018, 12:10 PM
PBK has XL Topeak Road frame pump on sale for $26CAD.

:)

Geekonbike
08-29-2018, 12:13 PM
I have both the Topeak Master Blaster and the Silca Impero. Gonna post up the Silca for sale when i get pictures of it.

The Silca is nice but not worth the $$ in my opinion. Which kinda sums up my experience with Indiana Silca in general.

I found the topeak to just work and I like the locking head (rubber lasts longer if you use smooth valve stems like Michelin)

R3awak3n
08-29-2018, 12:55 PM
My #2 hoarding item: Blackburn FP-1 frame pumps, still common on ebay. I've had two Zefal HPXs and the Blackburn is simply better. Function the same when new, but the Blackburns age better after plenty of wet weather and dirt abuse.

Primary benefit of the HPX is that they are still available retail.

the blackburn looks nice too, one on ebay that seems to fit my bike. Maybe I will give it a try. I do like the folding handle at the end

chiasticon
08-29-2018, 01:06 PM
the Topeak is better than the Blackburn, IMO. Blackburn has the same issue as the Park one: barrel is too fat and higher pressures take more effort than they do with the Topeak.

pobrien
08-29-2018, 05:21 PM
Do any of the frame pumps have a flexible hose that attaches to the tire valve or does the end of the pump always clamp onto the valve tip?

I seem to recall one of my old pumps had a hose in the end. I liked that as it seemed all the rattling about with the pump on the valve tip might lead to some failing, especially when one might be knackered on a long ride.

Thanks for any input.

bfd
08-29-2018, 05:36 PM
the blackburn looks nice too, one on ebay that seems to fit my bike. Maybe I will give it a try. I do like the folding handle at the end

I have like full frame pumps and have both the Topeak Master Blaster and the Blackburn Fullframe pump (or whatever it was called). Unfortunately, both appear to be no longer available new.

However, what usually wears out is the gasket. I spoke with Blackburn about getting a replacement and initially, all they would offer is a new mini-pump (which I hate). But after talking with their support, they sent me a couple of different replacement kits and I found that the gray gasket on the Mammoth kit works on the full frame pump! So, if you need to replace the gasket, get this kit:

https://www.blackburndesign.com/spare-parts/mammoth-2stage-rebuild-kit.html

Unfortunately, I tried to buy just the gray gasket, but they wouldn't sell it separately. Seems like a waste as about 90% of the kit isn't useful.

Good Luck!

R3awak3n
08-29-2018, 05:52 PM
Do any of the frame pumps have a flexible hose that attaches to the tire valve or does the end of the pump always clamp onto the valve tip?

I seem to recall one of my old pumps had a hose in the end. I liked that as it seemed all the rattling about with the pump on the valve tip might lead to some failing, especially when one might be knackered on a long ride.

Thanks for any input.

I looked for a while, afaik it does not exist (it should but it doesnt)

Black Dog
08-29-2018, 05:54 PM

And one more vote.

Seramount
08-29-2018, 06:00 PM
when I carried a frame pump, it was a Zefal HPx.

sg8357
08-29-2018, 07:43 PM
Leynze large road drive looks better on the bike than a HPX.
A HPX is a better pump, and if you ride in groups,
it will get a lot of use.
The Silca Tactical (stooopid name), works almost as well as the
Lezyne, and has fewer o-rings.

There is a mod to fit a spring to the Leyzne to make it frame fit.

Johnnysmooth
08-30-2018, 07:31 AM

I've had my Zefal HPX going on 2 decades now and she still works great. Just grease up the seals every once in a great while

Jeff N.
08-30-2018, 08:20 AM
Topeak Master Blaster. Looks good, works good.

oldpotatoe
08-30-2018, 09:32 AM
I have two frame pumps crap out on me when I needed them on a ride to fix a flat. To be fair, they were both used and picked up from the co-op with an unknown history

:eek:

MikeD
08-30-2018, 10:10 AM

I'm surprised you're not recommending the old version of the Silca Impero with a Campy head. ;-)

oldpotatoe
08-30-2018, 10:17 AM
I'm surprised you're not recommending the old version of the Silca Impero with a Campy head. ;-)

I would except some don't like the cost..I use one on my Merckx..have a couple of spare heads but seems that Zefal and others get the nod..

fiamme red
11-18-2019, 08:54 PM
https://cyclingtips.com/2019/11/the-best-bicycle-frame-pumps-reviewed/

Hank Scorpio
11-18-2019, 09:11 PM
they really are hard to find, not many left in the US that I can find, at least in Large. I will order from the UK.

If you haven’t ordered yet or just want another I have a large that has been sitting in my shed for a while that you can have. I used it set up for a Schaefer when I had a hirame head on my floor pump. Now I have an SKS pump that had a decent head the pumps both so it is no longer needed. Let me know. I may be in Brooklyn this weekend if you are around.

I just realized this thread was bumped from 2018. Anyway if you want another topeak the offer stands.

chiasticon
11-19-2019, 06:37 AM
https://cyclingtips.com/2019/11/the-best-bicycle-frame-pumps-reviewed/
"The Topeak Road Master Blaster doesn’t have the most efficient volume or sturdiest build quality (both of those awards clearly go to Silca), but it does have the easiest and most comfortable pumping once above 90psi."

pretty much sums up my opinion of it. nice to see it taking top honors in their test.

Clancy
11-19-2019, 07:29 AM
I agree with the majority of comments that the Topeak is the best of the three. I found my most recent purchase on line from one of the mega sites in England, can’t remember which one. But with a little searching, one should find a source.

But with all that everyone said, and not to spin this tread into a different direction but I’ve found the Silca Tattico pump to be a great little pump. I used it recently with my Ritchey Break-Away on a trip and it easily (relative)pumped up my tires. It’s my go to on my gravel bike. Highly recommend. I use the non Bluetooth version.

Mike Bryant
11-19-2019, 02:24 PM
I’ve have/used the three pumps mentioned in the article and agree with the results. Also have a Blackburn frame pump that I like pretty well. The Blackburn has a lock on head, and the handle pivots to a tee-handle that eases pumping. A spring lockout on the head end helps with the higher pressures. I have the one with a carbon fiber wrap over aluminum (real carbon fiber material not a cheap vinyl print) that lightens it up a smidgeon versus the full aluminum one. Unfortunately they aren’t made anymore. Bummer.

FWIW the real reason for my reply is to share a tip on using the frame pump that I picked up (on Paceline?) years ago; and that is when repairing a puncture with the wheel off of the bike, put the valve stem at 12 o’clock with pump attached, wrap a finger around a nearby spoke holding onto the pump head and pump away. The weight of the wheel will keep it all together and the valve stem won’t be jostled about as it is when pumping with the wheel on the bike, or with someone trying to “help” you by holding the wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan
11-19-2019, 02:35 PM
I have a Topeak Roadmorph G that I like a lot. Its a bit small but works when you need it. In the last few years I have used it mostly to bail out others who carry CO2 and don't have pumps. I think my ratio is one of my flats to about 5 of helping others who aren't fully prepared.

Of course I ride Continental Grand Prix 3 seasons but pumps are still worth carrying on the bike.

Alan

572cv
11-19-2019, 02:53 PM
In my stash of 'old parts which I will never use again (the brave part), but can't bear to discard ( the weak part) ' , I came across an old Silca Imperio plastic frame fit pump. I took it apart, found some petroleum jelly, and got the leather washer softened up, and voila, the thing pushed air. The head was damaged, but I easily found a replacement on ebay. I put the whole thing together, added a piece of handlebar tape to the end of the handle so the frame paint would be protected,and gee, it looks pretty good on the Kirk. At least to me. I've used it a few times in the heat of actual reinflation, and have been gratified that it pumps well, the bigger volume thing translates into fewer strokes, and it really is pretty light. I don't expect it to last forever... after all, we're talking 80's plastic... but I'll take what I can get out of it. Especially as I can give myself a pat on the back for saving junk.

Slmo
11-19-2019, 03:08 PM
Zefal HPX is solid.

mcc21
11-19-2019, 03:19 PM
specialized air tool is solid. small and compact. will get you around 60-70psi enough to get home. its so small i keep it in my back pocket and nobody can even see it.

cgolvin
11-19-2019, 04:34 PM
Sorry for the digression, but since we're talking frame pumps…

What do you all do for maintenance? I have an old (mid-70's) Impero, still works pretty well but I haven't lubricated it…well, ever. I know Silca sells NFS pump lube, wondering about other options and — more importantly — what your maintenance regiment is.

thanks

teleguy57
11-19-2019, 07:59 PM
"The Topeak Road Master Blaster doesn’t have the most efficient volume or sturdiest build quality (both of those awards clearly go to Silca), but it does have the easiest and most comfortable pumping once above 90psi."

pretty much sums up my opinion of it. nice to see it taking top honors in their test.

Given how people are running fatter tires with lower pressure, how often would someone really want/need to go above 90 PSI for an on-the-road repair?

saab2000
11-19-2019, 09:23 PM
Given how people are running fatter tires with lower pressure, how often would someone really want/need to go above 90 PSI for an on-the-road repair?

In modern cases it's not only about pressure but about volume.

Additionally, I was impressed back in 2016 when I was able to get a clincher back up on the tubeless shelf with a mini pump. It is a Topeak I have mentioned in the past and a cotton cased tire, but it did get back into shape and onto the shelf of a tubeless rim (with an inner tube), so the ability to actually move air and create pressure remains important.

I have a set of DT-Swiss rims for my Zanconato Road 32 and they inflated with no tubes with a regular floor pump and no sealant. I am extremely impressed by the tight tolerances of the rims and Schwalbe tires. I am pretty sure a quality, high-volume frame pump (Zéfal, Topeak or Silca) would achieve the same result but I have yet to try this in the wild.

But doing it without a compressor is impressive.

Volume and pressure are related in this context I think. As, of course, they are in the world of gas laws. ;)

Hindmost
11-19-2019, 10:25 PM
Sorry for the digression, but since we're talking frame pumps…

What do you all do for maintenance? I have an old (mid-70's) Impero, still works pretty well but I haven't lubricated it…well, ever. I know Silca sells NFS pump lube, wondering about other options and — more importantly — what your maintenance regiment is.

thanks

Disassemble and wipe down the insides including the barrel with IPA (isopropyl alcohol not the beer). It can get a little grungy in there. Check that the seal between a pump body and pump head is still doing its job. As mentioned above massage a little vaseline into the leather seal--can really bring a pump back to life.

chiasticon
11-20-2019, 07:27 AM
What do you all do for maintenance? I have an old (mid-70's) Impero, still works pretty well but I haven't lubricated it…well, ever. I know Silca sells NFS pump lube, wondering about other options and — more importantly — what your maintenance regiment is.that reminds me... I had a Impero Ultimate for the better part of a year. used twice. basically it arrived, I tested it out, kept it on my bike through spring and summer, pumped a tire up in the field once. then I decided to sell it in the fall. the buyer received it and it wouldn't inflate anything. I contact Silca and they explain that apparently you have to re-lube the leather washer every few months, even if you haven't been using it. and you have to use their $10-ish bottle of "pump blood" to do so. glad I didn't find that out forty miles from home...

Given how people are running fatter tires with lower pressure, how often would someone really want/need to go above 90 PSI for an on-the-road repair?I mainly want the frame pump for road tires; 25mm's that I run right around 85-90 psi. there's still a noticeable difference between the Topeak and Silca when you're close to that ending pressure. bigger volume tires (CX, MTB, gravel) I use a fatter mini pump, as it's more about volume than pressure.

R3awak3n
11-20-2019, 08:01 AM
Topeak still king. I have been using it as my only pump while working away from home and has been solid. Do not miss the silca at all. Ok it was pretty.

ToonaBP
11-20-2019, 11:16 AM
My Zefal hpx4 is still working after 3 decades.. now used mostly for inflating footballs and basketballs..

572cv
11-20-2019, 11:56 AM
Disassemble and wipe down the insides including the barrel with IPA (isopropyl alcohol not the beer). It can get a little grungy in there. Check that the seal between a pump body and pump head is still doing its job. As mentioned above massage a little vaseline into the leather seal--can really bring a pump back to life.

And after you’re done, you can reward yourself with an IPA (the beer, not the isopropyl alcohol) ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rustychisel
11-20-2019, 05:53 PM
My Zefal hpx4 is still working after 3 decades.. now used mostly for inflating footballs and basketballs..

Mine is the brushed aluminium barrel, and easily into its 4th decade, but I don't recall when I bought it.

Anyway, five pages and the answer was right there on page 1. Zefal.

end//