PDA

View Full Version : Dia Comp 11 speed friction shifters

R3awak3n
08-28-2018, 10:59 AM
https://velo-orange.com/products/dia-compe-ene-11s-dt-shifters

Anyone has used these?

After seeing Angrys travel bike I thought to myself, wouldn't it be awesome to have DT shifters on the travel bike, this would make everything SO MUCH easier and it would fit nicely with the bike. And I have some record single speed shifters I have been wanting to use for a while.

AngryScientist
08-28-2018, 11:01 AM
https://velo-orange.com/products/dia-compe-ene-11s-dt-shifters

Anyone has used these?

After seeing Angrys travel bike I thought to myself, wouldn't it be awesome to have DT shifters on the travel bike, this would make everything SO MUCH easier and it would fit nicely with the bike. And I have some record single speed shifters I have been wanting to use for a while.

those are indeed what are on my travel bike. i'm running 9-sp in the back though.

mid cage veloce RD and shimano 9-sp cassette. nice big barrel on the shifter, so plenty of cable pull. they are not true index but more retro-friction-ish.

R3awak3n
08-28-2018, 11:08 AM
I might go for it. 11 speed modern campy. 11-30 shimano cassette.

Would love to know if someone actually has experience with that setup (new campy). There are some from japan for $60 and with the ebay 15% off its tempting.

woolly
08-28-2018, 12:23 PM
If I were going all the way to downtube shifters for a coupled travel bike (I assume it's coupled), I'd go full-bulletproof with a Shimano 9-speed drivetrain. Friction or index, your pleasure.

YMMV, but I found this setup to work quite well for this purpose.

R3awak3n
08-28-2018, 12:36 PM
If I were going all the way to downtube shifters for a coupled travel bike (I assume it's coupled), I'd go full-bulletproof with a Shimano 9-speed drivetrain. Friction or index, your pleasure.

YMMV, but I found this setup to work quite well for this purpose.

its coupled and it has shimano 9 speed on it... ahah everyone is telling me to leave it on there, that said, the crank is standard and I would need a compact. I also would need a cassette and I already have everything else to run campy (well I would need to get these DT shifters if I wanted DT shifters)

also, I always like the most complicated setup ever, lol.

I am going to place the order and give it a try.

ultraman6970
08-28-2018, 12:41 PM
I believe the Shimano Dura-Ace 7900 10sp Downtube Shifter is friction aswell if you want to check those ones out.

Thinking in doing something similar in a ride... but with 10 speed...

You can use any d/t shifter anyways, the problem is the cable pull is will suck after gear 5 or so, you end up doing a 270 degrees with the lever hehe...

R3awak3n
08-28-2018, 12:43 PM
I believe the Shimano Dura-Ace 7900 10sp Downtube Shifter is friction aswell if you want to check those ones out.

Thinking in doing something similar in a ride... but with 10 speed...

You can use any d/t shifter anyways, the problem is the cable pull is will suck after gear 5 or so, you end up doing a 270 degrees with the lever hehe...

which is why they made these levers, more cable pull so should have less of that problem?!?

ultraman6970
08-28-2018, 12:48 PM
YEah but the dura ace does the same and looks better... they go for the same price than the dia compe ones... The thing is... there's no documentation moving around about how the dura ace ones work in friction mode... after index people got stuck with that, and honestly friction is the way to go :D

I had a pair and I sold them here, now gonna have to buy a new set at some point, saw the dia compe ones and they are ok but in the looking dept they wont get a price IMO....

AngryScientist
08-28-2018, 12:52 PM
7900 shifters are index only.

rccardr
08-28-2018, 01:27 PM

Correct, sir. 7850's are both friction and 10-speed indexed.
Hard to find, these days.

zzy
08-28-2018, 01:39 PM
I would imaging you'd have a hard time finding the right position with such a tightly spaced gear cluster. Seems like you'd really want indexing.

MerckxMad
08-28-2018, 01:40 PM
I use them with a 9 speed cassette. The extra large barrel on the rear shifter makes it easier to friction shift 8, 9 and even 10 speed cassettes. IMHO the spacing on the 11 speed cassettes makes friction shifting more of a pain than it's worth. Even with more cable wrap, the ratchet mechanism is not secure enough to stop movement of the derailleur which causes rattling.

R3awak3n
08-28-2018, 02:11 PM
We shall see what happens.

I had friction on 10 when I had retroshifters and thought was great when everyone told me spacing wouod be too tight and would suck so maybe I have more tolerance for this kind of stuff.

ultraman6970
08-28-2018, 05:42 PM
Good to know... interesting tho...

:/

dddd
08-28-2018, 09:05 PM
Different derailers can have very different actuation ratios and thus cable-pull requirements.

For me there is nothing as annoying as friction shifting using a shift lever with too small of a barrel for the application (derailer and freewheel). I prefer a quicker shifting response from friction levers/derailers in other words.

AngryScientist
08-28-2018, 09:20 PM
Different derailers can have very different actuation ratios and thus cable-pull requirements.

For me there is nothing as annoying as friction shifting using a shift lever with too small of a barrel for the application (derailer and freewheel). I prefer a quicker shifting response from friction levers/derailers in other words.

good point.

i can attest that those shift levers coupled with a campy RD are a good combination. it will be fine shifting 11. i'm sure of it.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-DgTiM-TD_Sw/W0pvH3mS9aI/AAAAAAAADDo/AsJnfjPWjB8BLM-rQ5ig_XlMfvzbUCsGgCLcBGAs/s1140/IMG_0600.JPG

AngryScientist
08-28-2018, 09:28 PM
by the way, note that mix-matched drivetrain that works perfectly together. thousands of of miles over every terrain imaginable.

brake levers: centaur 10s, still have not gutted them!
brakes: mavic SSC
FD+RD: campy veloce
shifters Dia Comp big barrel
crank: sram rival
wheels: mavic
cassette: shimano-9

all these years later, this is still one of my favorite bikes.

ultraman6970
08-28-2018, 10:42 PM
WIth friction you can put anything in the bike and will work... the stuff went south when index came out because people got mechanized... ideal for the riders that were never able to shift correctly tho...

R3awak3n
08-29-2018, 05:57 AM
by the way, note that mix-matched drivetrain that works perfectly together. thousands of of miles over every terrain imaginable.

brake levers: centaur 10s, still have not gutted them!
brakes: mavic SSC
FD+RD: campy veloce
shifters Dia Comp big barrel
crank: sram rival
wheels: mavic
cassette: shimano-9

all these years later, this is still one of my favorite bikes.

I love the mismatchedness of it. I am trying not to spend too much money on this bike but already have the chorus 11 around so its probably what is going on it.

ultraman6970
09-18-2018, 05:34 PM
Hmm i was checking again and looks like the Shimano SL 7900 is friction aswel for the rear lever, the front lever is not??