PDA

View Full Version : Vuelta Thread - Spoilers

ptourkin
08-28-2018, 10:53 AM
Good day for the patriots among you.

redir
08-28-2018, 11:04 AM
Nice ride by Been King. As a Hokie who remembers riding with that 'kid' it makes me happy to see a big jump in his career.

ptourkin
08-28-2018, 11:12 AM
Nice ride by Been King. As a Hokie who remembers riding with that 'kid' it makes me happy to see a big jump in his career.

Bit of a worry when it looked like they let Rolland catch on but he had a ton in the tank.

trener1
08-28-2018, 01:01 PM
Nice ride for sure.
Sep Kuss looked pretty solid today as well.

acorn_user
08-28-2018, 07:59 PM

Haha, I remember him smoking the ACCC season too. We'd hoped he'd ride for UVa :D

Mattre
08-28-2018, 08:03 PM
Awesome to see a Virginian get a win on a big stage, even if he's a Hokie

Spaghetti Legs
08-28-2018, 09:12 PM
Still lives, at least part time, in Cville. I saw him out on the road near Batesville a few years back when he was with Radio Shack. Stopped and chatted him up. Nice guy, great win!

Clean39T
08-28-2018, 11:07 PM
Ben King's Strava from today: https://www.strava.com/activities/1803622527

Put out over 1,200W in the sprint to the line and averaged 354W up the final 2.88mi climb :eek:

Kwiatko was faster up the climb, but no watts posted to Strava :butt:

ultraman6970
08-28-2018, 11:54 PM
King looks bigger, well he is older aswell.

Valverde chipping time little by little as usual.

Quintana doesnt look good at all to me. Hope im wrong.

OnceFast
08-29-2018, 07:17 AM
Anyone know why NBC Sports Gold is only picking up coverage at 10 AM EST?

oldpotatoe
08-29-2018, 07:29 AM
Anyone know why NBC Sports Gold is only picking up coverage at 10 AM EST?

Noticed that as well..I wonder if the time zone has something to do with it or the races start later(?)..

MattTuck
08-29-2018, 09:33 AM
I really liked his interview after the stage win. Just seems like a guy that put in the work and is really happy with the result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXQQaZXhDz8

weisan
08-29-2018, 10:38 AM
I really liked his interview after the stage win. Just seems like a guy that put in the work and is really happy with the result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXQQaZXhDz8

Thanks for that. I enjoyed it too! Very down to earth and thoughtful. I like Ben pal, glad he got that win in the bag.

redir
08-29-2018, 10:55 AM
Haha, I remember him smoking the ACCC season too. We'd hoped he'd ride for UVa :D

Ha! Yup. I remember some heavy hitters on UVA around that time too, Mark Hardman for one. Navy had some strong riders too. VT has produced some really good riders booth men and women.

King is 29 years old now just entering his prime as a top level pro.

Alaska Mike
08-29-2018, 11:17 AM
As a Virginian (folks live up the holler from Blacksburg), always nice to see a local boy do well.

Also nice to see these two teams finally notch their victories this season- and not necessarily coming from who it was "supposed" to be.

Mr. Pink
08-29-2018, 12:57 PM
I hope Bob Roll lays low with his bullfighting hate from now on. We know, Bob, we've heard it. Its kinda rude to your hosts, too.

Drmojo
08-29-2018, 12:57 PM
Still lives, at least part time, in Cville. I saw him out on the road near Batesville a few years back when he was with Radio Shack. Stopped and chatted him up. Nice guy, great win!

Takes me back to 1997-2001
Lived in North Garden
Commuted to Staunton on my bike via the Afton Gap.
Did a running race in Batesville too
Purty kuntry

Mr. Pink
08-29-2018, 07:22 PM
Awful coverage today. They just showed the last twenty five miles or so, most of which was a boring downhill into a boring coastal city that is just condo towers. It's like Jersey shore meets Miami. I watch this for the scenery, because I'm seriously considering a Granada trip this fall. They could've at least given me the start in Granada. Sheesh.

ultraman6970
08-29-2018, 09:23 PM
You can find the whole stage at tiz cycling, or at least the last 2 hours...

Clean39T
08-29-2018, 09:40 PM
Also try r/peloton on Reddit

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
08-30-2018, 10:08 AM
Watching right now..seems a lot fewer weirdos in chicken and worse, costumes..:)

ptourkin
08-30-2018, 10:20 AM
I hope Bob Roll lays low with his bullfighting hate from now on. We know, Bob, we've heard it. Its kinda rude to your hosts, too.

That's the first good thing I've heard about NBC. Good for Bob.

Eurosport coverage has been on by 120k or more. Close to full stage if you wake up that early. Not always a lot happening but the chatter is far more interesting and more targeted for cycling enthusiasts than the US coverage.

Big Dan
08-30-2018, 10:37 AM

Rude to the host?
Weak.

ptourkin
08-30-2018, 11:09 AM
Crazy finish.

I guess "the host" wanted to torture riders too.

oldpotatoe
08-30-2018, 11:13 AM
Crazy finish.

I guess "the host" wanted to torture riders too.

Sagan 'there' but looks tired..riding for the sponsors methinks.

ptourkin
08-30-2018, 11:26 AM

Bora helped make that stick but it wasn't his kind of finish after the crazy 270. That was all for the pure sprinters. Viviani just got stuck in the wrong part of the train and Trentin mucked it up by complaining before the line.

ergott
08-30-2018, 11:47 AM

Or maintaining fitness for Worlds?

Mr. Pink
08-30-2018, 12:41 PM
Rude to the host?
Weak.

Well, it has been a tradition in Spain for centuries. Considered an art form. I know, I know, I'm not a super fan of the thing either, but, it's sorta like a Euro broadcaster coming to America and complaining about all the fat people or NASCAR. Say it once, and get back to the matter at hand.

ptourkin
08-30-2018, 12:49 PM
Well, it has been a tradition in Spain for centuries. Considered an art form. I know, I know, I'm not a super fan of the thing either, but, it's sorta like a Euro broadcaster coming to America and complaining about all the fat people or NASCAR. Say it once, and get back to the matter at hand.

"Stick to sports" comes to the most boring broadcast in history. Dude sees the horror of absolutely indefensible torture and has a platform. Speaking is better than not speaking. Traditions be damned.

I don't like the Jim Nance treatment of Augusta and ignoring its history as to not offend the hosts. I applaud Bob. Civility is overrated.

I'll stop because I like the Vuelta and don't want to kill the thread.

MattTuck
08-30-2018, 08:01 PM
We're now 6 stages in, and the bulk of them have actually featured some good racing.

The bollards today that took out Felline, with basically a yellow foam pad leaned up against the first one, that was shameful.

adamcw89
08-31-2018, 07:11 AM
We're now 6 stages in, and the bulk of them have actually featured some good racing.

Yeah I can't remember what the beginning of last years edition was like but this has been the most fun GT to watch so far this year.

oldpotatoe
08-31-2018, 07:44 AM

The bollards today that took out Felline, with basically a yellow foam pad leaned up against the first one, that was shameful.

Really a shame that the 3rd grande tour is somewhat overlooked after the TdF 'spectacle' and the tifosi thick, wild crowd, screaming Giro(my favorite)...but looking at the race as whole, some really good racing...

ptourkin
08-31-2018, 09:39 AM
Really good finish happening right now for those who can watch.

Clean39T
08-31-2018, 09:52 AM
Really good finish happening right now for those who can watch.Thanks for the heads-up. Got it w 2k to go and saw the Galloping to the finish ;)

GregL
08-31-2018, 10:17 AM
Sagan is getting healthy and fit again after his TdF tumble. It will be interesting to see if he can be competitive on the upcoming Innsbruck worlds course.

Greg

ptourkin
08-31-2018, 12:27 PM
Sagan is getting healthy and fit again after his TdF tumble. It will be interesting to see if he can be competitive on the upcoming Innsbruck worlds course.

Greg

I think that course was set up to foil him but he is trying to climb himself into it. If he's allowed to hang around, it can happen.

ergott
08-31-2018, 09:34 PM
He can drop out of Vuelta anytime he feels it would work against his Worlds prep. I haven’t looked at the stages yet, but if there are crazy steep climbs like other years I wouldn’t be surprised if he bailed. Sagan has already proven himself a grand tour sprint winner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ultraman6970
08-31-2018, 10:59 PM
Vuelta the last 10 years had been fun to watch... I dont think sagan can do much as a sprinter, even the flat stages have nasty climbs and at the end IMO he will drop out the race probably week two...

oldpotatoe
09-01-2018, 09:50 AM
Great finish today..Sagan looks like twice the size of Valverde...:eek:

weisan
09-01-2018, 09:28 PM
This is the guy that could potentially take over the rainbow jersey from sagan.

Alan
09-02-2018, 07:03 AM
Should be fun to watch the final climb. Enjoy!!!

Alan

jlwdm
09-02-2018, 10:25 AM
Afraid Ben King is not going to keep the lead to the finish. Mollema coming too fast.

Jeff

oldpotatoe
09-02-2018, 10:26 AM
Afraid Ben King is not going to keep the lead to the finish. Mollema coming too fast.

Jeff

6km and a minute...gonna be close..one or the other will win the stage...
Again, real lack of chicken or thong(guys..eeek) wearing weirdos..nice.

Clean39T
09-02-2018, 10:54 AM
What a win. King looked like he had to go to places no one wants to visit.. But what a great win.

And Kuss pulling the group was great to see too.

Love me some Vuelta!

Spaghetti Legs
09-02-2018, 06:46 PM
King dug deep for that one. Nice one for a good guy. All these Vuelta finishes look like soul sapping uphill drags to the line.

MattTuck
09-02-2018, 08:02 PM
Good showing for the Americans today.

Wasn't sure he was going to hold on with Mollema coming up, but was impressed to see his grit. Must be mentally difficult to keep going when you know the guy is closing in, 60 seconds, 40 seconds, 20 seconds... well done to survive the assault and just gut it out.

Hellgate
09-02-2018, 08:18 PM
What a win. King looked like he had to go to places no one wants to visit.. But what a great win.

And Kuss pulling the group was great to see too.

Love me some Vuelta!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TapatalkMan, I'll say. What an amazing effort. I'm curious to see how he does in later stages.

Hellgate
09-02-2018, 08:20 PM
This is the guy that could potentially take over the rainbow jersey from sagan.For this year's course, I agree. He looks on target to be in perfect form.

Clean39T
09-02-2018, 09:37 PM
“I don’t think I have suffered that much in my career,” King said of the final climb. “Being chased by a guy like Mollema is a lot of pressure and it took a lot to keep believing and keep suffering that much. But I know what it means to me, what it means to the team and to the people who support and believe in me.”

Class.

MattTuck
09-02-2018, 09:40 PM
For this year's course, I agree. He looks on target to be in perfect form.

I seriously hope not. Fun rider to watch, but his history is such a red flag. Just not a fan.

SpeedyChix
09-03-2018, 07:02 AM
Was able to watch the stage yesterday. King's long run / grind to the stage win was great. Watching the group ride through the narrow "road" on the final town was crazy too. Vuelta continues to deliver.

pjbaz
09-03-2018, 08:46 AM
Was able to watch the stage yesterday. King's long run / grind to the stage win was great. Watching the group ride through the narrow "road" on the final town was crazy too. Vuelta continues to deliver.

I usually don't watch the Vuelta but after the past few stages I might be a convert. King was a beast, and that town was nutso, for sure.

ultraman6970
09-03-2018, 10:13 AM
The interesting of this vuelta is that not everybody looks super strong, anything can happen, one bad day and game over... valverde looked weak today but he held it fine, quitana is just following wheels lately, probably he needs to take a rest for a few months or something because you can tell he is not the same guy than before.

Fun race to watch...

oldpotatoe
09-05-2018, 08:05 AM
Still an amazing race..9 guys less than a minute behind the GC leader...next 5 about a minute behind..very close race, very good racing, great coverage(NBC gold)..

MattTuck
09-05-2018, 05:43 PM
Another fun and entertaining stage today. Lots of accumulated fatigue in those legs at this point in the season/race. Unpredictable and I like it!

livingminimal
09-05-2018, 05:57 PM
The Vuelta, once again, is so...damn...good.

Loving every second. My favorite GT.

jemoryl
09-06-2018, 10:58 AM
What in the world is happening? First a guy from FDJ is in the leader's jersey for a few days and now we've got Jesus Herrada of Cofidis in the lead by over three minutes! Good on those breakaway guys for making it stick today.

rnhood
09-06-2018, 11:08 AM
The same thing that will happen tomorrow when the road tilts up. We will have new leaderboard.

Never
09-06-2018, 11:56 AM
We are visiting some friends here, and it really beautiful. We did not come to follow the race really, but we saw some of the caravan today which was pretty fun. We will see if maybe we can see some actual racing near Bilbao in the next days. But it will not be like Zoncolan we think. The landscape here is really great though. It would be great to do the entire course on bicycles some day.

rnhood
09-06-2018, 12:00 PM
We are visiting some friends here, and it really beautiful. We did not come to follow the race really, but we saw some of the caravan today which was pretty fun. We will see if maybe we can see some actual racing near Bilbao in the next days. But it will not be like Zoncolan we think. The landscape here is really great though. It would be great to do the entire course on bicycles some day.

I think that I am gong to try and make a trip over that way next year. Everyone I know that has been there loved it. And its not as expensive as the overpriced French and Italian trips.

ultraman6970
09-06-2018, 12:07 PM
The feeds were not working, but yes 11 minutes behind... what happened was pretty obvious... movistar and scott were not pulling that much, the reason is that they have 3 days in a row of climbing, tomorrow wont be easy with 2 cat1 climbs, saturday is harder with 2x1st cat and 2x3cats climbs and sunday is the killer with the mirador lagos de covadonga finish... so yeah, the care is going to change again... herrada was several minutes away from the head of the race, tomorrow will lose all the time he won today... the one that worries me is quintana, I dont see him doing jack, actually if yates doesnt do anything out of this world he could win just staying at the wheels of everybody and even maybe Uran could podium...

Im based my forecast in the fact that quintana is not the same than ever and that valverde has an air leak somewhere and he started deflating already... URan has a lot of heart and he always fights...

Lets see how it goes...

redir
09-06-2018, 03:14 PM
Looks like Ben King's performance got him a spot in Worlds.

https://www.velonews.com/2018/09/news/kings-vuelta-results-earn-him-spot-on-u-s-worlds-team_478016

cnighbor1
09-06-2018, 03:48 PM
I was thinking which when an Architect is involved is not always the greatest
Anyways road hazards in the middle of the road on these races
Why couldn't they just place a verticle pole with blinking lights on it against hazzard
Instead of some person on a stool waving a small flag
would be easy to move to next days race
any very visual

ptourkin
09-06-2018, 05:01 PM
Looks like Ben King's performance got him a spot in Worlds.

https://www.velonews.com/2018/09/news/kings-vuelta-results-earn-him-spot-on-u-s-worlds-team_478016

Carlton Kirby has been talking up Sepp Kuss for that course as well.

oldpotatoe
09-07-2018, 08:27 AM
YUGE day today..up the first cat 1 climb right now..very interesting shuffle yesterday..

Previously, at the TdF..Once had yellow jerseys and had to swap to pink..to not be confused with the leader..wish they did that with the Vuelta..too many red jerseys...

jlwdm
09-08-2018, 11:49 AM
Tough final climb today (34 front/32 rear) - about time there was a contest for the GC. I have never seen a grand tour where the first battle for GC is two weeks into the race.

Jeff

oldpotatoe
09-09-2018, 08:14 AM
Another big climbing day today..pelOton looks tired..bet they are looking forward to rest day domani...

Clean39T
09-09-2018, 03:09 PM
ICYMI - go here: https://www.reddit.com/r/peloton/ go to the "results" thread, and watch the streamables that are so nicely provided..

Great racing again today...except by Quintana...he must just not have the legs to do anything but try to cover...without Valverde there, he'd be toast me thinks...

MattTuck
09-09-2018, 06:00 PM
I feel like Bauke Mollema is flogging his body because of some crazy training plan. I would not be surprised if he wins worlds because some really freaky form that he is summoning in Spain. His rides at the vuelta seem peculiar and not really well thought out.

weisan
09-09-2018, 06:04 PM
I feel like Bauke Mollema is flogging his body because of some crazy training plan. I would not be surprised if he wins worlds because some really freaky form that he is summoning in Spain. His rides at the vuelta seem peculiar and not really well thought out.

Matt pal, can you start a poll thread for the Worlds or sumthin'? I missed your fun games.

MattTuck
09-09-2018, 06:46 PM
Matt pal, can you start a poll thread for the Worlds or sumthin'? I missed your fun games.

It turns out that twins are quite a lot of work! if you think my posting has fallen off here, you should see how little riding I'm doing :(

weisan
09-09-2018, 06:52 PM
It turns out that twins are quite a lot of work! if you think my posting has fallen off here, you should see how little riding I'm doing :(

I can relate. Hang in there my friend.

Vientomas
09-09-2018, 06:58 PM
Anyone have any predictions for the TT on Tuesday and how it might affect the GC contenders?

Valverde is riding well, not sure of his TT abilities. Quintana is not known for his TT abilities. Yates lost a chunk of time to Tom D. in the Giro TT which was about the same length as Tuesday's stage. But, no one close to Yates on GC in the Vuelta is a TT'er of Tom D's strength. I think Lopez lost time to Yates in the Giro TT.

I predict that Valverde is in red by the end of the day.

ultraman6970
09-09-2018, 08:13 PM
Vientomas you are ok IMO, Yates and valverde are the ones to beat that day, no idea who will win the stage tho but anyhow... Uran can TT aswell, same with kelderman, which IMO is the best ITT from the top 20, he well could get back into the race that day, he can TT like TD. No idea if valverde will get the 30 secs back, who knows because Yates can do stuff aswell.

As for the impact of the ITT, well guys will lose minutes, valverde is at 30 secs. The issue for valverde is that Yates had been dropping him w/o any problems lately, the thing too is... Yates will last to the 3rd week? Sure Movistar has the same question and probably that's the reason they kind'a let him be more than necessary. Remember the giro? he just flat died from one day to another.

Quintana will lose at least 2 minutes to Yates IMO, Uran is a question for me because it could go one way or the other, with him you dont know.

IMo valverde needs to stay close to yates in the ITT, still hard mountain stages to come, and if the top 10 guys lose minutes to yates and valverde the race will become really interesting. Which means not organized attacks and the race will become a nightmare to control before stage 20.

Stage 20 is 100 km in length and IMO we wont know who will win the vuelta till that day. Still guys that are 2 minutes behind can do something if the other guys have a bad day and others dont, specially with a stage like stage 19 and 20, specially stage 20.

Stage 20 starts uphill and doubt even half of the peloton will be alive before half of the stage... teams will go for it from the go....

http://www.steephill.tv/2018/vuelta-a-espana/profile-20.jpg

oldpotatoe
09-11-2018, 10:09 AM
Top 5 guys on TT course right now..gonna be some changes..

MattTuck
09-11-2018, 09:10 PM
Top 5 guys on TT course right now..gonna be some changes..

Uh oh. Hope Yates has learned something from the Giro.

Curious situation for movistar. Do you ride to protect 2 positions in the top 4? Or use Quintana or Valverde to get the other into the race lead.

Third week is always interesting.

ultraman6970
09-12-2018, 12:50 AM
It happened what many thought was going to happen, IMO they will play both at the same time, yates can with both of them.

Will be an interesting final week, nobody has this thing in the bag yet. Plus you have 4 guys that can climb and need to have just one excellent day to get this thing upside down again, Kruijswijk, lopez, pinot and Uran.

Those 4 arent dead yet and that could be a big headache for movistar and scott. From all of them probably the only that has a team of good climbers IMO is Uran, the problem is that are just kids you know, uran will need them now.

oldpotatoe
09-12-2018, 08:42 AM
It happened what many thought was going to happen, IMO they will play both at the same time, yates can with both of them.

Will be an interesting final week, nobody has this thing in the bag yet. Plus you have 4 guys that can climb and need to have just one excellent day to get this thing upside down again, Kruijswijk, lopez, pinot and Uran.

Those 4 arent dead yet and that could be a big headache for movistar and scott. From all of them probably the only that has a team of good climbers IMO is Uran, the problem is that are just kids you know, uran will need them now.

Really close into 3rd week..I think it'll be between Yates, Valverde and Kruijwijk....tough stages upcoming..today, Friday, Saturday(thursday kinda an outlier, filler..strange stage)...Quintana 'seems' tired..Valverde has 'home field advantage'..

oldpotatoe
09-12-2018, 09:49 AM
El Pistolero at finish line signing autographs..still way thin..

Clean39T
09-12-2018, 10:10 AM
El Pistolero at finish line signing autographs..still way thin..His commentary on the Eurosport feed has been great.

ptourkin
09-12-2018, 10:48 AM
Bye-ro Quintana.

mktng
09-12-2018, 12:08 PM
digging deep into the pain cave.
great finish.
very happy for the stage winner.
local hero :banana:

KJMUNC
09-12-2018, 12:32 PM
wow, great win for Woods. his post win comments about what he and his wife have been through with the stillborn son 2mo ago brought a tear to my eye. Beautiful win for him on so many levels.:hello:

Clean39T
09-12-2018, 07:57 PM
Anybody speak Italian well enough to understand what Aru was yelling after his crash?

Dude had my respect for getting back on after that...bare a$$ and all...

weisan
09-12-2018, 08:36 PM
"freakin' bike! Freakin' bike!

https://youtu.be/Jaqs6_RslM8

Ernesto: Aru, we need to talk.

Aru: I am really sorry Mr. Colnago....

https://scontent-ort2-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/6fca52f1618a7259ba5596cf37d2ae43/5C1FBDDB/t51.2885-15/e35/s480x480/26870857_162082801109930_7688351421049077760_n.jpg

"I apologise for how I reacted after the crash, but the adrenaline was flowing, I was in pain, and you lose control sometimes. I hope to recover quickly. We'll see tomorrow morning. It depends on how I get through the night."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/aru-yearns-for-end-to-bad-luck-in-vuelta-a-espana/

Clean39T
09-12-2018, 08:46 PM
"freakin' bike! Freakin' bike!

https://youtu.be/Jaqs6_RslM8What about it though? If it made him crash, why get back on it?

weisan
09-12-2018, 08:53 PM
What about it though?

Probably too light.

As someone very wise once said...

It skips around like crazy hunting for traction and can't hold a line.

why get back on it?

https://www.cyclinside.it/web/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/GPR6_2308.jpg

pincopallinobis
09-12-2018, 09:29 PM
Anybody speak Italian well enough to understand what Aru was yelling after his crash?
It is not complicated:

****ing bicycle…the derailleur locked up!
****ing bicycle!
****ing bicycle!
****ing bicycle!
****ing bicycle!

Clean39T
09-12-2018, 09:44 PM
Probably too light.

As someone very wise once said...

why get back on it?

https://www.cyclinside.it/web/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/GPR6_2308.jpgHa!

I love meta threads [emoji16]

Clean39T
09-12-2018, 09:45 PM
It is not complicated:

****ing bicycle!
****ing bicycle!
****ing bicycle!
****ing bicycle!Shoulda been on Campy 10...

AngryScientist
09-12-2018, 09:50 PM
haha, the AngryScientist would definitely be the kind of pro rider who would lose a sponsorship because he would throw a malfunctioning bike in anger over a cliff.

Big Dan
09-13-2018, 08:10 AM
If Aru was riding Shimano or Sram the Campy fanboys would be all over this..!!

oldpotatoe
09-13-2018, 08:23 AM

Big sigh...I guess we'll ignore when that Katusha guy's chain fell off..these guys don't care what they use(unless it's the AquaBlue guys)..so does anybody 'know' what happened?
"I took an impact to my lower back, which worries me, as well as the pain," Aru said in a press relelease.

The Italian tangled with Bahrain-Merida's Hermann Pernsteiner on the descent of the Alto de Gontzegarain, which led into the base of the Alto de Balcon de Bizkaia - the final climb of the day. "We were descending at 70 kph, and it could have been a lot worse," Aru said.

oldpotatoe
09-13-2018, 08:35 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9US7uca6hE

:eek:

ptourkin
09-13-2018, 08:43 AM
His chain got stuck on the 11 sprocket and he pulled it with his hand to try to release it and put it on the 12 sprocket. While looking down, at 70kph, he crashed,” UAE-Team Emirates team manager Matxin Fernandez told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

UAE-Team Emirates ride Colnago bikes equipped with Campagnolo components. It is unclear what caused the mechanical problem. Ernesto Colnago told Tuttobiciweb that UAE-Team Emirates head mechanic Giuseppe Archetti had told him that there was nothing wrong with the bike.

Colnago also revealed that he had a long telephone conversation with Aru on Wednesday evening.

“I’ve provided bikes to thousands of riders but I’ve never been insulted live on television like that. At least he called and apologised for 15 minutes,” Colnago told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

“I can understand that he’s having a difficult season and everything is going wrong. But I explained that he’s a professional and that things will go his way eventually. I don’t understand what happened. If the gears blocked he wouldn’t have crashed, he’d have locked up, not crashed. The bike isn’t at fault.”

ptourkin
09-13-2018, 10:15 AM
So close!

weisan
09-13-2018, 11:38 AM
So close!

Indeed. Nail biting...

oldpotatoe
09-14-2018, 10:20 AM
Think the fat lady just sang..too bad for the 38 year old..

ptourkin
09-14-2018, 10:27 AM

Looks like it.

oldpotatoe
09-14-2018, 10:28 AM
Looks like it.

Looks like it really hurts for everybody, 'cept Yates..:eek:

jdp211
09-14-2018, 10:28 AM

Good, that guy needs to leave the sport. Unrepentant dopers can gtfo

ultraman6970
09-14-2018, 10:29 AM
Said it... one good day, or one bad day could turn the vuelta upside down again, and it happened.

Potato, They still have tomorrow's stage. That thing will be living hell....

rain dogs
09-14-2018, 10:40 AM
Where's the facepalm emoji for the doping comment :rolleyes:

Well, Yates just stomped authority all over this race, but guaranteed, this race isn't over. As I said in the other thread Valverde will suffer a ton with tomorrows profile. Enric Mas (surprisingly) and Quintana (not surprisingly) look out of gas.

Tomorrow is going to blow the top 10 apart.

ultraman6970
09-14-2018, 11:01 AM
Valverde got time off yates in stages harder than this one, dude got a bad day, quintana needs to eat some more, look way too skinny now, actually quintana has been riding weak for almost 2 years now.

The only sure thing that could happen tomorrow is that Quintana gets dropped, what will happen with the rest of the top 10 is a mystery.

jlwdm
09-14-2018, 05:28 PM
Valverde got time off yates in stages harder than this one, dude got a bad day, quintana needs to eat some more, look way too skinny now, actually quintana has been riding weak for almost 2 years now.

The only sure thing that could happen tomorrow is that Quintana gets dropped, what will happen with the rest of the top 10 is a mystery.

I agree Quintana has not looked good for quite a while. He did not seem great today although he was up the road with Yates until he got called back to help Valverde. Then he had a rear flat so a bike change and had to push it over the limit to get back up to Valverde. Thus he was off that group pretty quickly.

Jeff

oldpotatoe
09-15-2018, 08:29 AM
Good, that guy needs to leave the sport. Unrepentant dopers can gtfo

You mean Yates? DOH...
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/simon-yates-handed-four-month-non-intentional-doping-ban/

rwsaunders
09-15-2018, 09:55 AM
You mean Yates? DOH...
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/simon-yates-handed-four-month-non-intentional-doping-ban/

An “unintentional administrative error” according to the team. I told that to a state trooper a few years ago and I ended up paying the fine on the speeding ticket but no points. Sounds like he did the same...

ultraman6970
09-15-2018, 10:04 AM
:)...keldelman popped... who will be the next one?

oldpotatoe
09-15-2018, 10:10 AM
:)...keldelman popped... who will be the next one?

Yup, last day drama..one climb to go..top 4 trying to stay that way..good tour tho...

ultraman6970
09-15-2018, 10:24 AM
And he is gone...

ultraman6970
09-15-2018, 10:57 AM
Well, this is the thing... the victory was fantastic... you cant tell that anything weird happened in the race, no weird stuff.. nothing negative... I think people likes yates more than the other pair or english men... right?

oldpotatoe
09-15-2018, 11:10 AM
Not a great day for Movistar...:eek:

rain dogs
09-15-2018, 11:29 AM
Not a great day for Movistar...:eek:

But totally not surprising re:Valverde... I don't buy into age being such a limiting factor to potential until much older than 38... science supports that, but it also can't help and Valverde is not going to survive high mountains like are in Andorra vs the Yates of the world.

Valverde finishes 5th, with 2 stage wins and if my math is right the Green jersey wrapped up. All and all a very good Vuelta for him.

Quintana on the other hand.... man,... he's trending toward top mountain domestique territory. I don't know what he's doing for training these last couple of years but it's not working.

Super stoked for Enric Mas. Looks like we may have a 'future' for Spanish cycling.

And of course congrats to Yatesy, he was my pick for the win, and he was solid the whole way.

Twas a super race. The Vuelta again IMHO was the grand tour of the year in terms of excitment and viewing satisfaction.

jlwdm
09-15-2018, 12:32 PM
The way Valverde road the last two days Movistar should not have brought back Quintana to help Valverde. Quintana would have had a higher finish. Not that they could do that with Valverde in a podium position.

Jeff

ultraman6970
09-15-2018, 02:33 PM
Agree... they just tried to delay the inevitable, the problem is that quintana did not have it even to get the stage IMO...

Sky tour wins are boring and full of BS... yate's win was great and not martian in performance.

MattTuck
09-15-2018, 03:58 PM
Agree... they just tried to delay the inevitable, the problem is that quintana did not have it even to get the stage IMO...

Sky tour wins are boring and full of BS... yate's win was great and not martian in performance.

Also, nice to see him take some lessons from the Giro. I did not see him exerting any extra effort in the Vuelta, the way he did in the Giro. Probably also a better and more organized strategy for him and the team; more disciplined also.

Wonder if he targets the tour next year, or takes aim at the giro again. I have a hard time seeing how he competes in France with Dumoulin, except if there are enough very steep climbs, or the well oiled Sky machine -- and whoever they bring to win the GC.

He might be better off focusing on the Giro.

Fun race for sure. Season winding down. Lombardia coming up, and the Worlds... and 2018 will be in the books. There is also the tour of Turkey and some race in China -- neither of which I care much about.

Too early to pick winners for Strade Bianche 2019? :banana:

mhespenheide
09-15-2018, 09:04 PM
Wonder if he targets the tour next year, or takes aim at the giro again. I have a hard time seeing how he competes in France with Dumoulin, except if there are enough very steep climbs, or the well oiled Sky machine -- and whoever they bring to win the GC.

He might be better off focusing on the Giro.

I'm failing at finding the quote, but in recent interviews he's implied that he has unfinished business at the Giro and wants to target it next year, not the Tour.

GregL
09-15-2018, 09:52 PM
I'm failing at finding the quote, but in recent interviews he's implied that he has unfinished business at the Giro and wants to target it next year, not the Tour.
"Actually my gut feeling is I'd like to go back to the Giro. I have unfinished business there." http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vuelta-a-espana-in-the-bag-simon-yates-hints-at-giro-ditalia-redemption/

Greg

velotrack
09-16-2018, 02:58 AM
am i the only one that didn't like that enric mas win? did absolutely no work and very intentionally cut off the astana guy before the last corner...

oldpotatoe
09-16-2018, 07:11 AM
am i the only one that didn't like that enric mas win? did absolutely no work and very intentionally cut off the astana guy before the last corner...

Yes, you are the only one...->:)Tough race and cooked at end. Just staying upright was hard but bike racing...Lopez, if he 'had it', he would have won regardless of the last second moves BUT..

Did Quintana race all 3 GT this year? Did any of the 'contenders'? Doubt they'll do that again..

Great race, really like the short stages with lotsa climbs..shape pf Gt to come?

oldpotatoe
09-16-2018, 07:56 AM
"Madrid Challenge by La Vuelta" going on right now..women's race, circuit race around Madrid..

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/madrid-challenge-by-la-vuelta-2018/preview

Davist
09-16-2018, 08:01 AM

I'm with you, definitely rode him intentionally towards the barrier after not sharing the load..

choke
09-16-2018, 09:05 AM
The Madrid Challenge is Giorgia Bronzini's last WWT race.....she's retiring after the Worlds and next year she will be a DS with the new Trek women's team. I'll definitely follow her wishes later today. :beer:

http://cycle.ciocctoo.com/gio2.jpg

Two years ago in Sacramento I was talking to the Wiggle ladies before the race when out of the blue Gio asked me if I would like a water bottle. When I replied 'yes' she handed me this...

http://cycle.ciocctoo.com/gio.jpg