PDA

View Full Version : Fondo rides with a pro?

MattTuck
08-28-2018, 10:44 AM
Curious if those rides really give you access to the pro rider, or if it they just ride off away from everyone else, or are surrounded by their crew?

cfox
08-28-2018, 10:51 AM
Curious if those rides really give you access to the pro rider, or if it they just ride off away from everyone else, or are surrounded by their crew?

I used to do a charity ride up in Maine hosted/founded by Patrick Dempsey. They would get a bunch of pros up there and they did a good job mingling on the road and at the rest stops. Most of the participants had no clue or interest in the pros, only Dempsey, so it was not hard to ride and chat with them a bit. It was pretty cool. Was not a fondo, so no timing or anything, so not sure if that changes anything (I would be disappointed to learn of a pro who was concerned with a fondo time, though).

FlashUNC
08-28-2018, 10:51 AM
If you're in the back corral, no, you're not going to see them.

kramnnim
08-28-2018, 11:21 AM
Depends on the rider? Brent Bookwalter has been friendly and approachable before/after his ride...and rode at a somewhat reasonable pace and stopped at the rest stops to allow for some regrouping...

pdmtong
08-28-2018, 11:34 AM

it depends on what you think of as access - it's not reasonable to expect more than a minute or two since many others on the ride want the same

people here report being able to interact with jens at the jensie. he drifted around the ride. I have met him a few times, each interaction he was really gracious.

when I did the levi (twice) he couldn't be bothered to mingle with the crowd. stayed in front thats it.

one of my friend's rode the sagan / tahoe dirt fondo and easily got his picture with PS. never saw him though.

the time enrico and I ran into lemond on the oakley ride greg was very gracious too.

Geekonbike
08-28-2018, 12:06 PM
Another vote for riding with Greg Lemond. He's a super nice guy, I did a ride a few years ago when he had a Lemond Bikes Storefront over in Northeast Minneapolis (the Era of the Washoe) he and Kathy brought doughnuts, and apples (random...) from Medina and then did a brisk ride....if only he could get traction with one of his brands and settle in. Those Washoes were cool.

But if I were doing a Pro's ride counting on seeing them... I dunno. I'd choose the ride for the ride rather than the pro with his name on it.

Heisenberg
08-28-2018, 12:25 PM
it depends on what you think of as access - it's not reasonable to expect more than a minute or two since many others on the ride want the same

people here report being able to interact with jens at the jensie. he drifted around the ride. I have met him a few times, each interaction he was really gracious.

when I did the levi (twice) he couldn't be bothered to mingle with the crowd. stayed in front thats it.

one of my friend's rode the sagan / tahoe dirt fondo and easily got his picture with PS. never saw him though.

the time enrico and I ran into lemond on the oakley ride greg was very gracious too.

Yeah. Kind of depends on the Fondo.

You've also gotta keep in mind that typically, these rides can be a bit dangerous at the start given the large number of people, varying skill levels, and competitive attitudes. Most of these folks are going to ride the front at the beginning at a high pace to stay out of trouble. At Levi's, the celeb rider crew usually peels off and mingles after riding the front for the first 40-50 miles.

That said, pre/post ride, if you're throwing a partyride, party with people. Lots of dudes just hang out in the VIP tent and don't get out into the crowd. Or, in the case of the Sagan fondo, he was shepherded around by his Italian handlers and kept back from really interacting with anyone.

MattTuck
08-28-2018, 12:36 PM
I figured it was a bit of a mixed bag. Not sure I'm going to do it this year, but might put it on the calendar for next year.

It is the Peacham Fall Fondo (https://www.peachamfallfondo.com/), with Ian Boswell.

100 rider limits for male and female fields.

The ride is to raise money for.... wait for it.... "All proceeds from the Peacham Fall Fondo will return to the town of Peacham for the repurposing of the unused tennis court for construction of a public 4-season pavilion structure. The proposed structure will support community activities, workshops and events...including the 2019 Peacham Fall Fondo!"

dmortimer
08-28-2018, 12:41 PM
I wonder what Phil gaimons cookie fondo is like. Considering how he's remade himself into a social media personality, I'd imagine it is in his best interest to do a bit of mingling.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

makoti
08-28-2018, 01:52 PM
Years ago, I gt a couple of chances to ride a bit with Ron Kiefel. Nice as can be.

sailorboy
08-28-2018, 04:17 PM
I figured it was a bit of a mixed bag. Not sure I'm going to do it this year, but might put it on the calendar for next year.

It is the Peacham Fall Fondo (https://www.peachamfallfondo.com/), with Ian Boswell.

100 rider limits for male and female fields.

The ride is to raise money for.... wait for it.... "All proceeds from the Peacham Fall Fondo will return to the town of Peacham for the repurposing of the unused tennis court for construction of a public 4-season pavilion structure. The proposed structure will support community activities, workshops and events...including the 2019 Peacham Fall Fondo!"

Yea, I read about this one in a recent Peloton mag article and was considering going. Not even to ride with Ian Boswell, but I 'spose that would be cool. I too was amused by the beneficiary of the event, but hey, it's kind of quaint and with only 200 riders, probably an appropriate level of ambition for his first attempt at this. Not to mention, dropping several hundred riders in that part of Vermont might alienate his new neighbors a tad.

At the end of the day this is one of the most beautiful places in the world to ride but with a mid-October date, be prepared to pack a bunch of layers and bring all your 'epic-y' clothing gear as the Kingdom can be a fickle beast that time of year.

Style points: World-famous Hill Farmstead brewery http://hillfarmstead.com/directions/ is a relative hop-skip-and-jump from there. Would be a shame not to stop in and take home a case or three of their brews.

Heisenberg
08-28-2018, 04:59 PM
I wonder what Phil gaimons cookie fondo is like. Considering how he's remade himself into a social media personality, I'd imagine it is in his best interest to do a bit of mingling.

It's difficult - but fun. Phil's a nice guy who mills around with attendees, and there's always a few b-list celebs who show up.

choke
08-28-2018, 05:07 PM
when I did the levi (twice) he couldn't be bothered to mingle with the crowd. stayed in front thats it.Why am I not surprised?

In the 1990s I attended two charity rides put on by the local Saturn dealer which included a Saturn Cycling Team member. The first one I attended featured Clara Hughes and she was great; she went around afterwards and made an effort to chat with every rider. The second year was Levi's turn and I only saw him at the start.....he didn't hang around and talk to anyone afterwards.

benadrian
08-28-2018, 05:10 PM

Phil was great last year. He did the 85 mile route. I did the 55 mile route. He came in a bit after me. I approached him after having my lunch, said howdy, asked for a photo, and let him continue. So, he's probably too busy to get into a full chat about life and technique and stuff, but he will chit chat and do the meet and greet thing.

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22540085_10213221512948298_8624875451079936888_n.j pg?_nc_cat=0&oh=c5a65966e236c02fe2c5118f4d335a54&oe=5BFD9848

sitzmark
08-28-2018, 05:28 PM
Many have special "VIP" days (with VIP extra $$) separate from the general ride that provide personal access to Pro(s) and other meet n' greet access.

Nelson Vails usually rides the GFNY fondo - rolls at an easy pace and mingles. He also started Ride with Nelly @ Ride the Rockies. Rode a bit with him there too - mingle pace there also. Ron Kiefel mingles throughout RTR.

Dempsey pulled in Radio Shack team members early in series - Leipheimer and wife Odessa Gunn, Hincapie, Horner, as well as "Fast Freddy", Bookwalters, and others. Lately only Freddy. Pros ride with Dempsey and he stops repeatedly to shake hands of spectators along route, so it's a fairly slow roll for 50 miles. Just caught the lead pack that year and was next to Horner when he got frustrated with the pace and took off for 100 miles instead of 50. Rode 80 with him. Levi and Odessa pretty much kept to themselves and with Dempsey/VIPs during the event.

Couple of us have considered riding Hincapie fondo just to try something new in a new area. Wouldn't do VIP days, so would be just to ride the general event. George was approachable at Dempsey. Wouldn't matter either way - would go to ride the ride and not specifically with George.

Avispa
08-28-2018, 05:46 PM

Glad you mentioned this topic. I really have a problem when pros show up for these amateur events and actually compete... If pros want to do these events they should do it to socialize with the crowd and mingle with everyone... One thing I find it hard to understand is that there was one guy a few years ago that won the GFNY and got busted for doping!!! I forget if he was a full pro or something.

I think Gran Fondos should be for the pure amateur. One that does sports part-time and does not depend on it for a living. I also believe these GFs should be not so competitive as they have become too much of a race at times. Best thing, you ride them at your own pace without winners/losers or categories...

I like the way George Hincapie is doing his Gran Fondos as he invites retired pros and current pro friends, but they normally ride for fun and their time does not count.