PDA

View Full Version : OT: Recommend a Dog for My Children

FlaRider
11-02-2006, 12:13 PM
Hi,

I have a bit of a dilemma. My two daughers - aged 6 and 3 - have asked for a dog for Christmas. Problem is that they can't make up their mind as to what breed of dog they want and neither my wife nor I has ever owned a dog before.

Our criteria are (in order of importance) --

1. Well-mannered, playful, suitable for children

2. No Shedding

3. Easy to train

4. Small to medium sized (which obviously rules out German Shepherds, Labs, etc.)

5. Suitable for city living - we live in a decently sized house in Miami, FL with a large back yard but the dog will spend most of the time in the living room (with hard wood floors).

The breeds we are considering are:

--Beagle (I realize they shed but my kids think they're cute)

--Havanese

--Maltese

--Poodle

--Maltipoo (maltese/poodle mix)

--Bichon Frise (probably too much grooming required, though)

Any other recommendations?

THANKS.

William
11-02-2006, 12:21 PM
Hi,

I have a bit of a dilemma. My two daughers - aged 6 and 3 - have asked for a dog for Christmas. Problem is that they can't make up their mind as to what breed of dog they want and neither my wife nor I has ever owned a dog before.

Our criteria are (in order of importance) --

2. No Shedding

3. Easy to train

4. Small to medium sized (which obviously rules out German Shepherds, Labs, etc.)

5. Suitable for city living - we live in a decently sized house in Miami, FL with a large back yard but the dog will spend most of the time in the living room (with hard wood floors).

The breeds we are considering are:

--Havanese

--Maltese

--Poodle

--Maltipoo (maltese/poodle mix)

--Bichon Frise (probably too much grooming required, though)

Any other recommendations?

THANKS.

Whippet. :cool:

William

tulli
11-02-2006, 12:23 PM
How about a mutt from your local shelter?

YO!!!
11-02-2006, 12:26 PM
Local shelters or rescue associations are always looking for quality
owners. Mutts and pure-breds abound. Take the kids and hangout
for a while. The right candidate will present itself in due time.

Ken Robb
11-02-2006, 12:26 PM
I had a room mate with a beagle. Nice dog but he realyy needed a lot of execise and some people think a beagle's howling is cute---I guess.

I really like standard poodles but the smaller ones I've met have been really spoiled lap dogs but I think they could be cool if they weren't spoiled rotten from puppyhood.

My wife was a package deal with two spoiled rotten Bichon Frieses. The boys and I have come to an understanding and they are lovely pets/companions in a small condo. The grooming is a big expense. Les bathes them herself between trips to the groomer so I think you can stretch those visits to once a month. Heck, if you don't want them to look like showdogs you can groom them yourself. Or maybe you could become a pro groomer with practice. Our dogs don't mind being groomed/bathed at all, unlike some other dogs who fuss through the whole ordeal.

Good friends have their second Australian Sheepdog and she is wonderful.

Ginger
11-02-2006, 12:33 PM
A well mannered, previously loved dog who has kid experience would be the best choice. You can find those at shelters and at breeders and various breed rescue organizations.
You miss a bit of the Awwwwww cute puppy stuff, but you also miss the millionth *&%$# time the pup forgets that he's not supposed to chew on your six year old's toys.

I would also suggest a good round of obedience classes for you and your wife and the dog. That will introduce you to the dog's brain and what the dog understands as far as communications.

If you find your pet at the shelter, take them up on the cheap pet insurance. I know it seems silly to insure a mutt, but in six months, when your new member of the family that the kids adore suddenly comes down with a 3000 vet bill you'll be happy you made the purchase. (I speak from experience.)

William
11-02-2006, 12:36 PM
Local shelters or rescue associations are always looking for quality
owners. Mutts and pure-breds abound. Take the kids and hangout
for a while. The right candidate will present itself in due time.

Very true. Rhea Basset came from a Basset Rescue in Alabama. For some reason there are lots of Bassests who need help in bama.

Whippet rescues:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=whippet+rescues&btnG=Google+Search

William

shinomaster
11-02-2006, 12:38 PM
A golden retriever.....but they shed...maybe a poodle..

sspielman
11-02-2006, 12:49 PM
Miniature Schnauzer

Steve K
11-02-2006, 12:52 PM
Portuguese Water Dog

Making an addition to your family like a dog that will be with your for well over a decade is a big responsibility. He/she will become one of the family and should be treated with respect. What will you do if you leave town? Are you ready for health care cost? How will you socialize and train him? How much time are you going to spend with them? What about exercise? That said, a Portuguese Water Dog
is a medium sized dog with lots of energy and does not shed. You’d want to check out how this bread does in hot humid weather before taking this route. Most importantly is to get the facts about a bread you are consider and examine not just the joy of bringing them into your family today but for many many years.

Louis
11-02-2006, 12:52 PM
Miniature Schnauzer

My mother has one. Twyla is awfully sweet.

EdK
11-02-2006, 12:54 PM
I second William's suggestion, whippet. If they prove too big, try Italian Greyhound. No shedding, lovable, very kid friendly, one down side, not the brightest but very sweet, usually.

Chris
11-02-2006, 01:09 PM
airedale

crf
11-02-2006, 01:14 PM
Whippet. :cool:

William

Whippet good?

Ozz
11-02-2006, 01:14 PM
I have a bit of a dilemma. My two daughers - aged 6 and 3 - have asked for a dog for Christmas. ...and neither my wife nor I has ever owned a dog before....
FWIW - Your daughters are too young to care for the dog....so it will be YOUR dog. View this as as you would if you were adopting a child....this will give you perspective as to the responsibility you are assuming. Raising a puppy is hard work....they are cute and all that...but not so cute when they cry all night, pee on your carpet and chew up your stuff.

Check out this book: "The Art of Raising a Puppy" - New Skete Monks

The easiest is to adopt a dog from the local shelter. They need homes, they are full grown, and you can find ones that are already housebroken.

I like the "hunting breeds" for having good personalites and getting along with kids. They tend to be high energy, and need lots of exercise however. If they don't get it...they find other things to do...dig, chew and bark to name a few.

Good luck....

gt6267a
11-02-2006, 01:18 PM
wheaten terrier. they are always in a good mood. a very happy dog. super cute and matches all your criteria, especially no shedding!

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/softcoatedwheatenterrier.htm

OldDog
11-02-2006, 01:21 PM
I'm available for adoption. I'm well mannered, but I do get a bit cranky on Monday mornings. I don't shed, I train right, with some perssusion of the snasausge varity. Never lived in the city but I am willing to give it a shot. I have maybe 40 years left in me with some luck.

English Springer Spanial. Great dogs.

morty
11-02-2006, 01:30 PM
Go to a local all-breed dog show, if you can. There are plenty of knowledgable people there that would be more than happy to assist you in finding a perfect pet for your family. They can answer any questions you have about their particular breed, and most clubs even have rescue groups with dogs available for adoption to loving homes. Many of these dogs have been saved from shelters, or their previous owners could not care for them anymore for various reasons.

That said, almost any dog that doesn't shed will require some sort of grooming. I used to show Kerry Blue Terriers, and while they are medium sized, non-shedding, and great with children, they need LOTS of grooming (plus they can also be very aggresive towards other dogs--not suitable for everyone!). Miniature Schnauzers are also nice dogs, though ours didn't like children.

Good luck!

72gmc
11-02-2006, 01:43 PM
We're getting a Springer Spaniel. My heart wants to go to the shelter, but Mom and the girls are overruling me in favor of the awww puppy experience.

My wife also researched a breed called the Glen of Imaal Terrier that is said to be very good with kids. Very similar to a Corgi in stature.

No shedding? That's not a pet dog, that's a pet frog.

Lincoln
11-02-2006, 01:47 PM
Whippet good?

Lincoln
11-02-2006, 01:58 PM
(the four-legged one is new)
Rescued from the local shelter last Friday, best we can tell he is golden retriever and german shepherd mix. A total sweetheart and a great companion for our 3yr old. About a month ago our daughter learned about "wishing on a star" and every clear night since then (which is most nights around here) she has wished for a dog (we lost our Doberman late last winter).

Extra pictures are from Park City's annual halloween kids & dogs Main St "parade." Note the dredlocks on the rasta-dog! I think this was Sandy's kind of event.

swoop
11-02-2006, 02:33 PM
he'll teach the kids how do run the ho's and deal chronic. it will pay for their college fo shizzle dizzle.

Loro_tomas
11-02-2006, 02:34 PM
Boxers are amazing with kids.The best breed for children. Mine is 5 months, his name is STOLI.

Bud
11-02-2006, 02:40 PM
As many have already said, there are plenty of great dogs at your local shelter. IMHO, there is no reason to go to a breeder for a family dog. :)

Bruce K
11-02-2006, 02:58 PM
I just saw the thread and really haven't read it all, but I would suggest looking at a Tibetan Terrier.

theya re not terriers but more like a Lhasa Apso on steroids.

Ours was great with our son as he grew from newborn to 10 year-old. They have hair so they don't shed or have allergy issues. They DO have long hair which requires regular professional grooming.

They are great with kids and very protective as they were guard dogs for the monks.

But they also tend to be 30# for males and 20# for females.

BK

catulle
11-02-2006, 02:59 PM
No shedding or your money back...

92degrees
11-02-2006, 03:07 PM
Vs, baby.

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/6317/c3br3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

JohnS
11-02-2006, 03:10 PM
Get a "used" dog. The shelters and rescue groups are full of them. You can even get a purebred, if that's important to you. They are already housebroken and mostly trained. I read recently that the three most intelligent breeds are the Border Collie, German Sheperd and Golden Retriever.
We got an 8 1/2 year old Golden 2 years ago from a local rescue. Bear's everything you expect in a Golden, with the added benefit that he's very protective towards my wife. I'd hate to be the fool that has to explain how he got chewed up by an 11 year old gray-faced Golden Retriever! :)

Chad Engle
11-02-2006, 03:17 PM
+1 on the Shelter Dog.

Neighbors boxer recently bit my daughter, nothing terrible, all the ones I've met were a little twitchy.

We have a female Boston Terrier, most loving dog I have ever experienced. Almost too much. Great with the two year old. Does shed a little though.

+1 on the Shelter Dog

Lincoln
11-02-2006, 03:38 PM
If you are looking for a pure-bred then check out the various breed-specific rescue organizations. Most breeds will have one with many local chapters and if they don't have the right dog for you they will keep an eye out for a good match. They tend to be small volunteer organizations with good people running them. A couple of minutes on Google and you should be able to track one down.

Sandy
11-02-2006, 03:48 PM
Great posts! Great advice and opinions.

Let's see- Surprise- I vote for a shelter dog (or a rescue dog). Great photos of the dogs in the thread!

Adopt! Adopt!

Sandy

Too Tall
11-02-2006, 03:49 PM
+1 Boxers and obviously Std. poodles...because we have two :)

Std. poodles size varies quite a bit. The do not shed and are very easy breed to keep. Highly intelligent and fierce protectors of family. Only deal with breeders who raise their dogs in their home. That is a sign they protect the breed and really love these wonderful dogs.

Best of luck.

JohnS
11-02-2006, 03:53 PM
www.petfinder.com Just put in your state and it'll show every rescue and shelter organization there.

Chad Engle
11-02-2006, 03:53 PM
+1 on the Shelter Dog.

Neighbors boxer recently bit my daughter, nothing terrible, all the ones I've met were a little twitchy.

We have a female Boston Terrier, most loving dog I have ever experienced. Almost too much. Great with the two year old. Does shed a little though.

+1 on the Shelter Dog

crossjunkee
11-02-2006, 03:56 PM
I have to agree with a boxer. My wife rescued our boxer from a shelter before we met. I have to admit, she's a great family dog.

FlaRider
11-02-2006, 03:58 PM
Thanks, guys and gals, for all the great responses...

old_school
11-02-2006, 04:03 PM
Italian Greyhound
... of course, then you would have to get a Peg.

jamesau
11-02-2006, 05:20 PM
http://www.mysmartpuppy.com/ask-us/articles.html

Also, don't let your daughters choose the dog... unless you've previously screened the 'finalists'.

BoulderGeek
11-02-2006, 05:30 PM
Small female golden retriever.

I hate shedding, too.

But, their personalities are just the best.

For whatever I know.... :confused:

Dekonick
11-02-2006, 05:44 PM
Save a life, get a shelter dog.

Watch 'the dog whisperer' a few times for some interesting tips on dog behavior - ofteh their behavior is a direct result of the owner...

:banana:

+1 for a shelter dog

+2 for a rescue :)

Sandy - Truckie wants his bone back!

Sandy
11-02-2006, 05:50 PM
Save a life, get a shelter dog.

Watch 'the dog whisperer' a few times for some interesting tips on dog behavior - ofteh their behavior is a direct result of the owner...

:banana:

+1 for a shelter dog

+2 for a rescue :)

Sandy - Truckie wants his bone back!

Whenever your dad and I ride again, I will bring you a bag of dog biscuits. Take care of your mommy and daddy and most importantly, your sibling, and sibling to be.

Milk Bone Sandy

christian
11-02-2006, 05:51 PM
+1 for a rescue dog.

I'd get a beagle, because my beagle was the best friend anyone could have ever had. And he very rarely howled. Miss you, Spooky!

http://static.flickr.com/91/238632384_573a0ef03a.jpg

swoop
the things i am thinking about writing but cannot.

manet
snoop

Ginger
11-02-2006, 05:53 PM
Looks like the pony tails are too tight.

1centaur
11-02-2006, 06:07 PM
Read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Right-Dog-You-Daniel-Tortora/dp/067147247X

Lots of dogs with no-shed reputations are actually shedders. Bichons take a TON of grooming or they don't look too good - who has the time? Perfect dog otherwise. There are many considerations you won't think of until you read that book - I always recommend it to people who want to make the best choice, not just a reasonable choice.

72gmc
11-02-2006, 06:20 PM
Dog breeds I've grown up with, lived with, or known that I would gladly have in my house with my kids (no shedding claims whatsoever):
Irish Setter
Golden Retriever
Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Cocker Spaniel
German Shepherd
Beagle
Australian Shepherd

Grant McLean
11-02-2006, 06:30 PM
Get a Belgian "Tour of Flanders" dog:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/schipperke.htm

Maybe a little strange looking at first, (people will ask what the heck is that....)
But they are great dogs. Very smart. Don't get a stupid dog.

http://petrix.com/dogint/11-26.html

g

swoop
11-02-2006, 06:42 PM
get a gay dog.

Kevin
11-02-2006, 06:49 PM
Get a mutt from a shelter or a rescue.

Kevin

stevep
11-02-2006, 06:57 PM
we have a blue healer combo. the kids love her beyond words ( my kids are 25/ 22) . she is 14, pretty small 30 pounds and does not shed much.
was a little aggressive around other dogs when younger but not bad.
good little friend.

mikemets
11-02-2006, 07:44 PM
Good luck with your search.

I'm in the same situation. Our much loved Black Lab, Buster, passed about a year ago. He was over 14, and we had him before the kids. My girls are now 10 and 13.

After a lot of "looking" we're leaning towards an Australian Shepherd...like a "calmer" Border Collie

ThasFACE
11-02-2006, 08:40 PM
After a lot of "looking" we're leaning towards an Australian Shepherd...like a "calmer" Border Collie

Nice choice. I'm planning on getting an Australian Shepherd too (as a little brother/sister for my Bernese Mountain Dog).

But yes, shelter/rescue dogs are a solid choice. I had a couple as a kid and loved those damned dogs more than anything (well, other than my bike and baseball stuff). My neighbor has a border collie rescue and she couldn't be sweeter. She has a lot of energy, though.

Anyway, my berner and another neighbor's rescue dog:

manet
11-02-2006, 09:35 PM

all well and good, but realize that a herding dog(s) as you've mentioned go about their jobs by chase and nip _ that's how they are wired. they all wanna do it. it is the training that stops the herd dog from nipping, and schools them as to how to move about the field. instincts need to be kept in check.

herding dogs are athletes, just as hunting dogs. they must be exercised, and that does not mean put out in the backyard to play by themselves.

manet
11-02-2006, 09:40 PM
3. Easy to train

excepting a husky-malamute-chow gene pool, all dogs are fairly easy to train. you must be consistent and positive with reinforcement.

manet
11-02-2006, 09:44 PM

will you be responsible and train a dog so it can be well-mannered?

are your children innie or outies? seriously _ are they screamers, active, thoughtful, calm, caring... ?

do they know how to play with a dog?

manet
11-02-2006, 09:48 PM

the best way (even better than a trip to the doggy manicurist) to keep a dogs nails in check is to play ball with it out on the pavement (sidewalk, parking lot, driveway... ). sand their nails down by letting 'em run, and slide on pavement or concrete fetching an object.

manet
11-02-2006, 09:52 PM

ain't gonna happen. they shed, shed, shed, shed, shed. and when they get wet they smell and shed. all hounds dogs smell when wet. ask any hunter. ask a dalmatian owner.

beagles are wonderful animals, make great sounds, and are kid sized. but they are hunting hounds _ they run, love a chase, a long chase...

manet
11-02-2006, 09:54 PM
go to the pound. everyone should love an underdog.

William
11-03-2006, 05:33 AM
ain't gonna happen. they shed, shed, shed, shed, shed. and when they get wet they smell and shed. all hounds dogs smell when wet. ask any hunter. ask a dalmatian owner.

beagles are wonderful animals, make great sounds, and are kid sized. but they are hunting hounds _ they run, love a chase, a long chase...

Rhea Basset says........yeah, you're right. Brush, clip and wash.

BaaWoo!!!
BaaWoo!!!

Do you think I could get away with shaving her and passing her off as a Mexican Hairless Basset? :rolleyes:

William

92degrees
11-03-2006, 08:21 AM
the best way (even better than a trip to the doggy manicurist) to keep a dogs nails in check is to play ball with it out on the pavement (sidewalk, parking lot, driveway... ). sand their nails down by letting 'em run, and slide on pavement or concrete fetching an object.

Dremel tool. ATMO

Sandy
11-03-2006, 08:40 AM
manet seems to know his dog stuff very well. How about some dog photos manet? A herding dog chasing you? A herding dog catching you? A herding dog showing you the hard wired nip,,,,a scent hound chasing you (twizzlers in your jersey),......

Shiloh Shepherd Sandy

manet
11-03-2006, 08:53 AM
manet seems to know his dog stuff very well. How about some dog photos manet? A herding dog chasing you? A herding dog catching you? A herding dog showing you the hard wired nip,,,,a scent hound chasing you (twizzlers in your jersey),......

Shiloh Shepherd Sandy

manet is a know-it-all, and runs in foul moods most hours.
sandy i can offer you this nugget, don't abuse it:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/easterncaster/IMG_1011.jpg

Climb01742
11-03-2006, 09:06 AM
we have two dogs now. one is a new york city pound special. one is a pure bred chocolate lab. the rescue dog has his "issues" but is sweet as can be 98% of the time and every day we are thankful we can give him a good, safe life. our lab is beyond sweet and goofy and is my daughter's "little" sister. we got her as a pup so my daughter could experience, learn and grow with her at every stage.

both routes to having a dog are awesome. but different. which route best matches your family?

manet
11-03-2006, 09:12 AM

Shiloh Shepherd Sandy

and here's a slide container of his fur. the stuff they shaved off his front leg when he was put to sleep:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/easterncaster/IMG_3187_1.jpg

sspielman
11-03-2006, 09:13 AM
all well and good, but realize that a herding dog(s) as you've mentioned go about their jobs by chase and nip _ that's how they are wired. they all wanna do it. it is the training that stops the herd dog from nipping, and schools them as to how to move about the field. instincts need to be kept in check.

herding dogs are athletes, just as hunting dogs. they must be exercised, and that does not mean put out in the backyard to play by themselves.

I think that herding dogs and their behavior rae the least understood of dog breeds and dog behavior by the general public. Of course, there are LOTS of styles of herding. There are border collie who are specifically bred to work very closely with their herd and master....They are VERY anxious to please, so people tend to think that they are the smartest dogs. On the other hand, there are the breeds that were specifically bred to work INDEPENDENTLY of their masters. An example is the Bearded Collie.....they are great problem solvers, and are absolutely brilliant...but they can be reluctant to follow a command unless it is what THEY want to do...As opposed to nipping at heels, they tend to herd by charging, stamping their front paws and barking... and they are hard wired for this behavior...cool stuff.

Climb01742
11-03-2006, 09:24 AM
and here's a slide container of his fur. the stuff they shaved off his front leg when he was put to sleep:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/easterncaster/IMG_3187_1.jpg

i bet you treasure that. the day we put sammy to sleep haunts me. being with him was the right thing but watching him close his eyes for the last time, it still breaks my heart.

aj4e
11-03-2006, 03:26 PM
www.petfinder.com

You can search shelters by location and then by breed and even age. There are other search factors as well. Definitely worth checking out for anyone interested in getting a dog for their family.

mikemets
11-04-2006, 12:46 PM
Looks like its going to be a Brittany Spaniel, we're going to check the pups out tomorrow, and they'll be ready to go home on the 18th of this month.

Now, do we get 1 or 2?

Ken Robb
11-04-2006, 03:14 PM
training 2 puppies at the same time is a BIG job and I don't recommend it.

Kevan
11-04-2006, 04:09 PM
but get a poodle. People who have never owned a dog before shouldn't necessarily adopt second-hand. Dogs with prior owners often come with baggage that might turn your experience to less than a perfect one. Remember you are a novice.

You have established your requirements, stick to them. Dogs bring with them particular characteristics that might stray from your list and there is no way you can get dogs to conform. Some dogs shed and there is no way of preventing that. Some breeds like to bark or bay and there's difficulty getting them to stop. Some need room, others like to dig, some love kids and others don't.

I would recommend a miniture poodle. The miniture is one stop up from toy and below a standard. They are easy to come by, get a black hair (whites often get unsightly eye stains). Grooming can be down played so you don't need a pom-pom dog. Poodles are hearty, fun loving and do well with kids. Toy breeds can harbor some attitude, but my experience has been that minitures are more layed back.

Find a local vet that you'll be relying on and stop by and visit him or her and get their suggestions based their experience and what breed might be best suited for your lifestyle and the region of country you live in.

2 dogs are always best if the animals are regularly left alone for a period of time. Who doesn't need a pal?

Sandy
11-04-2006, 04:40 PM
I'm lonely. I need a pal. Are you available? :rolleyes:

Sandy

PS- Poodles are great dogs/

cadence90
11-04-2006, 04:48 PM
Wow, manet.
It's always tough.... :(

cadence90
11-04-2006, 04:54 PM
Based on the OP, I agree on the poodle recommendation. Incredible dogs. Smart. Lively.

If you are buying a purebred definitely get recommendations and reviews of the breeder, medical histories, etc. (I've only ever had shelter dogs or castaways, easily over 35 in my lifetime, so I've never done that, but I have heard enough breeder horror stories.)

Ginger
11-04-2006, 04:54 PM

Dalmatians shed white, straight asbestos fibers that you can't get rid of. Although my pup never stank like a hound stinks when they're wet.

Whatever you do, if you've never had a dog before, have limited space, and no intention of getting more...no matter WHAT your kids think of Pogo and the cute little 101 puppies: don't get a Dalmatian puppy.
Dalmatians were created to guard carriages in motion. Very high energy and hard wired to protect their property. *If* trained correctly and given a job to do they can be very very smart dogs...although a bit snarky. If left to their own devices to "just be dogs" they're dumber than a box of rocks.

Mike, I vote for one now, one later...that way the pup will bond to you and your family, not so much to the other pup. First pup will help train the second.

Crate training. Excellent idea.

My Dal pup was a proper alpha dog...about 95lbs, all muscle. Perfect for the time in my life when I had plenty of spare time for him. Meanwhile, he ate half a wing back chair in 20 minutes when it took me too long to get firewood one day, and could devour a Red Wing work boot down to the sole in under 5 minutes if he was annoyed at me. Sweet as an angel though. And, a good pointer...go figure.
He also lost all his hair at one point (a standard condition for the breed) and I had to feed him mutton and rice for six months (not such a big deal, I still had sheep on the farm...).

Get a mutt...or a poodle.

NicaDog
11-04-2006, 05:58 PM
Wonderful mix, the more curly they are they less they shed, ours doesn't shed at all. Calm as can be, great with kids and has that golden, "I'm happy to sit around all day and just sleep and wait to be played with" attitude.

Sandy
11-04-2006, 06:17 PM
They are mixing breeds to get a new breed. I have met several Labradoodles- mix between lab and poodle. They are really great natured dogs, seemingly wonderful with kids. I assume that the poodle/golden retriever mix would be great too.

Hybrid Sandy

Lincoln
11-05-2006, 12:07 AM
I've known a couple of labradoodles and goldendoodles and they were all great dogs. However:

1) They cost more than a similar pup that was pure lab/golden/poodle.
2) We had a friend's goldendoodle stay with us for a couple of weeks while the owner was recovering from surgery and I can say she was a great dog, but there was PLENTY of shedding!

Rescue, rescue, rescue.

JohnS
11-05-2006, 07:42 AM
What's this big opposition to shedding? You shed, why shouldn't your dog? That's what brushes are for.

jeffg
11-05-2006, 07:50 AM
were a Puli and above all a Bouvier des Flandres.

Bouviers meet almost none of your size/shedding criteria but are gentle, wonderful with children and we lived in Manhattan with Misha very happily for years. They love to be outdoors too, of course (Central Park) but are most at home with family.

Sandy
11-05-2006, 07:56 AM
were a Puli and above all a Bouvier des Flandres.

Bouviers meet almost none of your size/shedding criteria but are gentle, wonderful with children and we lived in Manhattan with Misha very happily for years. They love to be outdoors too, of course (Central Park) but are most at home with family.

You had two neat breeds. I have never seen a Puli in real life. I keep my hair corded just like the Puli. :)

Cue Ball Sandy

jeffg
11-05-2006, 08:30 AM
You had two neat breeds. I have never seen a Puli in real life. I keep my hair corded just like the Puli. :)

Cue Ball Sandy
Sandy,

Thanks! The Puli was my dog as a kid that I got as a puppy at the age of six or so. A dog that never nipped or barked at any human though he had plenty of cause and was just sweet as can be.

I have to find the pictures of Misha (the Bouvier) carrying around our twin nieces on her back like a horse. She never got ill-tempered when one of my nephews tried to find her eyes and poked them a little by accident but she never let any stranger anywhere near my wife or any of the kids without showing her teeth.

The Puli, by contrast, would have welcomed any burglar into the house if s/he woud just play with him ... ;)

The downside of the Bouvier is that I am still heartbroken over losing her five years on and cannot imagine getting a dog that I have to take care of. My wife wants one for the boys but they are far too young to take care of it ...

Steve K
11-05-2006, 06:00 PM
Speaking of dog... Check out this video. You'll need to wait a couple minutes as the story develops up to Skidboot

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5249518974978628334&q=skidboot&hl=en

mikemets
11-23-2006, 05:38 PM
Brittany Spaniel
He's 7 weeks old
Big hit at home :D

FlaRider
11-23-2006, 06:07 PM
After much reflection and debate, we decided to get a Vizsla. Puppy will arrive around Christmas time. Thanks again for all your help, guys! :)

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=vizsla

1centaur
11-23-2006, 06:35 PM
Geez dude, you sure?

http://mickey.blogdreams.com/userfiles/3238.jpg

Seriously though, a very good dog in many ways, way under the radar for a lot of people.

christian
11-23-2006, 06:36 PM
Wow, prepare to run!

a100mark
11-23-2006, 07:03 PM
Italian Greyhounds

kkasper4
11-24-2006, 09:37 AM
Entlebucher Sennenhund (really, it is a dog). I've had many dogs, this is the best by a long shot. It is one of the four types of Swiss Mountain dogs. It's a medium sized dog, around 50-60lbs, its appearance is that of a smooth-haired Bernese Mountain dog. Color is black, with rust colored and white markings. Wonderful temperment, excellent with children, very smart, and lives to please it's owners. You can check them out at www.entlebucher.org/ .

dekindy
11-29-2006, 06:05 AM
We had next door neighbors move in that had a Goldendoodle. I had never heard of them but it was just a great dog. Very smart, playful, and gentle with the children. They moved away but I kept thinking about a dog to replace our Wire-Haired Fox Terrier when my son got well enough to have a dog again. The terrier was a great dog, too. He did not shed and was great with children. We have an autistic child and he is a little rough with the dog and the terrier would have gotten mean except he passed away unexpectedly and we did not have to deal with this. The terrier was purebred and had the typical problems of the breed; low thyroid, allergies, and died of kidney failure which is common.

A Goldendoodle is a mix of a male standard poodle and a female golden retriever, both 60-pounds. You will read about hybrid vigor as a product of breeding purebreds. The poodle is listed as second smartest in the animal kingdom behind the dolphin and the golden retriever is fourth. Labradoodles were originally bred to produce a smarter guide dog that does not shed. Labradoodle is a good choice too but our friends had a labrador retriever that was not very smart so my wife preferred the goldendoodle.

Our goldendoodle is just the greatest dog. He loves people and will play ball (retrieve) until he is too tired to walk. He was easy to train and is gentle with my son even with an 11-year old pinching him some and touching him in sensitive places. They are best pals. I could not be happier with our choice. The only complaint is that he did chew a lot as a puppy and continues to swallow things that make him sick. He is slowly growing out of that.

Just type in goldendoodle into your search engine and read to your hearts content. There is a list of breeeders that have good reputations. We posted a picture of Kasey, our dog, on one of the sites.

Hope this helps.

jckid
11-29-2006, 10:37 AM
How about a mini schnauzer. The one we had was very well mannered, super easy to train, and the smartest dog I've known. She was also great with kids. The only downside is that schnauzers do have to be groomed regularly, but we learned to groom her ourselves, so it wasn't too much trouble.