PDA

View Full Version : Anyone do a 'Try the Track' day at T-Town?

Nooch
08-28-2018, 08:32 AM
Was just curious if it's worth the cost of admission, and what the day is like? The track has always intrigued me..

johnniecakes
08-28-2018, 08:56 AM
Was just curious if it's worth the cost of admission, and what the day is like? The track has always intrigued me..
If you’re just curious why not go when there is no scheduled event? The track is open to the public and you are free to ride it on your bicycle, there is not requirement for a track bike. If you check the calendar for September on Tuesday you see that the first scheduled event starts at 5PM. Before that you can take your bike and ride around for as long as you like.

djg21
08-28-2018, 09:20 AM
I used to go every Saturday for Masters racing when I lived within a couple of hours from TTown. It’s a lot of fun. Go.

Nooch
08-28-2018, 09:28 AM
If you’re just curious why not go when there is no scheduled event? The track is open to the public and you are free to ride it on your bicycle, there is not requirement for a track bike. If you check the calendar for September on Tuesday you see that the first scheduled event starts at 5PM. Before that you can take your bike and ride around for as long as you like.

I did not know this! That said, I'm like two hours away, so it's not necessarily the *easiest* thing to do...

johnniecakes
08-28-2018, 09:32 AM
I did not know this! That said, I'm like two hours away, so it's not necessarily the *easiest* thing to do...

Are you coming to the swap meet on September 29? Lots of stuff to check out. There is food and beer available on site.

peanutgallery
08-28-2018, 09:32 AM

And while you're there find what all that crazy Marty Nothstein stuff is all about. Sounds worthy of a reality show

nooneline
08-28-2018, 10:12 AM

It is, it really is.
I mean, I'm biased having been a track racer for the last ten years.

Riding the track is a unique thrill; doing it on a track bike is wonderful; having somebody guide you and teach you some of the basics to track riding and movement is a very good way to help understand what happens and why.

And if you think riding is good then definitely make plans to come out to spectate some Friday night pro races at TTown next year - June and July being prime times for sure.

paredown
08-28-2018, 11:41 AM
don't know T-Town, other than having stopped by to look on my way to or from Virginia--but--everyone should try riding the track. Best fun short of mind altering chemicals...

Better on a track bike though--so if there is a 'track day' where they fit you up on a fixed wheel--absolutely go for it.

FlashUNC
08-28-2018, 11:59 AM
Track riding and racing is stupidly fun. I would highly encourage it.

PaulE
08-28-2018, 12:24 PM
Definitely fun. I've ridden on the track a few times on both road bikes and in try the track sessions on one of the track's fixed gear track bikes. If you want to ride a fixed gear on the track do the "try the track day." Things like getting started and slowing down and getting off the bike, how to go up and down the banking are best learned from someone who knows how to do it. If Bicycling Magazine still has their "Fall Classic" ride, it starts and ends at the velodrome with a Paris-Roubaix style finish of a few laps on the track. Just keep looking ahead while you're pedaling on the track, don't turn your head to look behind.

glepore
08-28-2018, 12:52 PM
Bu all means do it on a TRACK bike, experience is different. Thats why the organized days are best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nooch
08-28-2018, 01:53 PM
of course i'm a dolt and thought it was on sunday instead of saturday, but alas, saturday is unpossible for me. :(

pdonk
08-28-2018, 02:22 PM
I have not done it at T-town, but ride regularly at Milton and rode at the now torn down Dieppe track.

Do it, it is lots of fun.

thegunner
08-28-2018, 02:26 PM

go to kissena.

Nooch
08-28-2018, 02:47 PM
go to kissena.

Oddly i feel like getting there takes just as long as getting to T-town.

Gummee
08-28-2018, 02:55 PM
Track riding and racing is stupidly fun. I would highly encourage it.

It's also some of the safest racing and riding I've ever done.

I'll agree with what the other guys have said: give it a lash. You may just like it too.

M