PDA

View Full Version : Thomson kfc cross bar...anyone using

Kingfisher
08-28-2018, 06:46 AM
Saw one of these bars in local shop on a moots
The top portion from stem to brake hoods seemed significantly thicker than any conventional bar. Just wondering if this size increase is comfortable?

ptourkin
08-28-2018, 08:49 AM
I bought one on here for my Moots after looking for years. I don't find that section uncomfortable although I don't do a lot of extended climbs on my CX bike.

GOTHBROOKS
08-28-2018, 10:53 AM
ive been using a pair for maybe 3 years? never noticed that part being “thicker” than any other bars. i like them.

teleguy57
08-28-2018, 11:11 AM
Rode them and really liked them. I'm a fan of thicker bars; these are 31.8 all the way to the curves. Also, the curve at the top has a nice platform for your hands.

I sold my 42s here as I was convinced I would like a narrow bar. Ended up buying a set of 40cm Thomson Road bars (same reach, more drop, flatter tops) and while I like the shape a lot I ended up going back to 42s (Deda Superleggarss, which also are 31.8 all the way out the tops) and feel more comfortable on 42s vs 40s. Just in case someone in interested, they are listed in the classifieds. (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=224954&highlight=thomson)

But yes, I really like the KFCs. The Dedas are a hair shorter (75 reach vs 78.5) and slightly shorter drop (130 vs 134 on the KFCs) but I got a very good deal on them so I bought them rather than another set of KFCs. Would have been smarter to keep my KFC 42s a bit longer after getting the Road 40s, but I got overeager....

One last note: Drop on the KFCs varies by width. Thomson has the same bar on their web site listed at their cross bar since their sponsorship with Katie ended a few years back.

Gummee
08-28-2018, 11:17 AM
Saw one of these bars in local shop on a moots
The top portion from stem to brake hoods seemed significantly thicker than any conventional bar. Just wondering if this size increase is comfortable?

I have a pair of Pro Vibe 7S bars that do the same thing.

Seem all right.

M

rkhatibi
08-28-2018, 12:31 PM
I have a set. Definitely thicker all around at least compare to the Salsa cowbell on the other bikes. Feels good in the hands, I'm a mem's medium in gloves. I do have 2.5mm lizardskins and it definitely feels a touch larger than I'd like, but that's my own fault.

eBAUMANN
08-28-2018, 12:37 PM
Rode them and really liked them. I'm a fan of thicker bars; these are 31.8 all the way to the curves. Also, the curve at the top has a nice platform for your hands.

I sold my 42s here as I was convinced I would like a narrow bar. Ended up buying a set of 40cm Thomson Road bars (same reach, more drop, flatter tops) and while I like the shape a lot I ended up going back to 42s (Deda Superleggarss, which also are 31.8 all the way out the tops) and feel more comfortable on 42s vs 40s. Just in case someone in interested, they are listed in the classifieds. (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=224954&highlight=thomson)

But yes, I really like the KFCs. The Dedas are a hair shorter (75 reach vs 78.5) and slightly shorter drop (130 vs 134 on the KFCs) but I got a very good deal on them so I bought them rather than another set of KFCs. Would have been smarter to keep my KFC 42s a bit longer after getting the Road 40s, but I got overeager....

One last note: Drop on the KFCs varies by width. Thomson has the same bar on their web site listed at their cross bar since their sponsorship with Katie ended a few years back.

This is pretty much all you need to know...

Deda RHM bars are a very similar shape to the thomson stuff...which is all a good thing, because its a great shape.

Having larger hands I love the full 31.8 top of the KFC bars and have been riding/racing on them since they were first released. I believe they also have some sort of reinforcement/extra carbon around the top bend/lever clamp area to guard against crash damage (bar end contacting ground and torquing the drop sideways, possibly snapping it off). Nice to know you are riding a bar made for the demands of CX instead of just any old carbon bar made for pedaling in a straight line on pavement.

gavingould
08-28-2018, 07:38 PM
using these on my Gaulzetti and on a TwinSix Standard Rando.
the only carbon parts on these bikes, actually except my race tubulars on the zetti.
big hands, really like the shape being fat all the way through the curve to the hoods.

FR8CAR
08-28-2018, 08:38 PM

I purchased the 42 KFCs from tele along w a stem and they are pretty silky on my niner. I really like the feel on the tops and drop and since I put them in use I’ve solved an elbow nerve issue I had been having w my prior alloy bars. I feel a touch of guilt reading that I was the beneficiary of tele’s overeagerness to swap them out. Great guy to deal with by the way - I would have posted a glowing review / feedback in the classifieds but I don’t have enough posts to do so yet. Cheers

teleguy57
08-29-2018, 09:43 AM
I purchased the 42 KFCs from tele along w a stem and they are pretty silky on my niner. I really like the feel on the tops and drop and since I put them in use I’ve solved an elbow nerve issue I had been having w my prior alloy bars. I feel a touch of guilt reading that I was the beneficiary of tele’s overeagerness to swap them out. Great guy to deal with by the way - I would have posted a glowing review / feedback in the classifieds but I don’t have enough posts to do so yet. Cheers

You are hereby absolved of any guilt -- I was the guy who listed them so good on you for grabbing them :beer: Glad they seemed to help with your elbow!

Thanks for the nice comments too.

msngr
08-31-2018, 07:03 AM
Hey! I have these and I love em!

Accidentally got them through a sponsor thing. Very comfy with plush cork tape.

FastforaSlowGuy
09-09-2018, 09:14 AM
They’re awesome bars. Bummed that they’re no longer available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ptourkin
09-09-2018, 09:20 AM
They’re awesome bars. Bummed that they’re no longer available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As mentioned above, still available but Katie's name is no longer on them. They're just the CX bars now.