PDA

View Full Version : do you have an "insurance log" of your bikes, stuff, etc?

AngryScientist
08-27-2018, 07:59 PM
the [stolen?] zanc psa thread got me thinking, and i know i'm lacking here:

i have a bunch of bikes, like an embarrassing number.

i think i should go make a log, including serial numbers, and a good side detailed photo of each one, just in case.

my new jamie swan bike, for example - beautiful and unique, but i have no idea how i could prove it were mine if it were stolen and i found it on ebay or something? i dont even know if it has a stamped serial number on it, being a small custom?

maybe i should engrave my own serial number "Angry 0052" or something on the BB?

what do you guys who have a bunch of obscure bikes think about this?

jtakeda
08-27-2018, 08:01 PM
Open an account on bike index

You can add serial #s. Make model color and identifying info.

Police are starting to cross reference bike index more and more making it easier for them to find you

AngryScientist
08-27-2018, 08:06 PM
https://bikeindex.org/

wow. all these years and i had not even heard of that. thank you.

DRZRM
08-27-2018, 08:08 PM
At a bare minimum you should do a walkthrough of you garage wirh you video camera on your phone. Turn on the light, you can get brand, group, and serial number of most everything.

choke
08-27-2018, 08:15 PM
maybe i should engrave my own serial number "Angry 0052" or something on the BB? I paint the last four digits of my SSN on the fork steerer tube....it's out of sight and easy enough to get to to identify.

An alternative to paint would be a piece of paper with name, address, etc. and taped over on the fork.

kppolich
08-27-2018, 08:17 PM
Open an account on bike index

You can add serial #s. Make model color and identifying info.

Police are starting to cross reference bike index more and more making it easier for them to find you

Big fan of the pedal room too, easy way to document part by part with picture hosting included.
https://www.pedalroom.com/

Jaybee
08-27-2018, 08:22 PM
I just lost 4 bikes (and a lot of tools) out of my garage. If you want your bikes back, you almost certainly need a serial number - the officer who took my report specifically referenced bikeindex.

If you just want the insurance money back, my n=1 experience is that they are happy w receipts and pictures where I have them, and kinda taking my word for it on everything else.

joosttx
08-27-2018, 08:43 PM
we do have a log. We do not have too many fancy things so its easy to keep up with. Also, I dont keep my bikes in my garage. To access my bikes a thief is going to at least go through at least 2 doors and quite possibly a Mossberg. We also have a pretty good security system with cameras and motion sensors. It would be very hard for anyone to get into our home uninvited. (This is not a challenge) :)

parris
08-27-2018, 08:50 PM
This is something that I've got to update. Not only with my bikes but tools, firearms, photo gear, electronics. etc. Given how easy it is to shoot photos of everything these days we really don't have an excuse.

I also want to add that has anyone noticed that once you actually go through your "stuff" that you not only have WAY more than you realized? When I do this I ask myself "how the f**k did I EVER end up with all THIS?!?!?!

Irishgirl
08-27-2018, 08:54 PM
Recommendations and a disclaimer

The burden of proof is on you to provide documentation of your items and keeping a log may not satisfy an insurance adjuster. Insurance carriers can differ as well as the adjusters within a carrier on what defines proof of ownership. Proof could be a bill of sale, a registration, a picture, a video log, or statement of verification from a third party aka bike shop that may have worked on the bike.

The recommendation part-
I would keep a log - I wasn’t familiar with the previous sites and they may seem to be a great place to keep your details- maybe keep a hard copy with your other important papers (I recommend in a fireproof safe). I would also recommend taking the time to make a video recording of your bikes (and bike stuff) and all your other belongings. When making the video you could make video file categories or go room to room. Do close up shots of serial numbers and provide commentary on items without serial numbers. You also have to remember to update the video or add to it when you make additional larger dollar purchases.

I’d like to think I could remember (like an elephant) all my “stuff” especially my bike stuff if I had to provide an adjuster a list of everything I owned in the event of a catastrophic loss - the reality is it’s difficult not to mention stressful.

The disclaimer part - it may be worth the call vs relying on this post to check with your specific carrier to confirm what documents would be required in the event of a theft or other covered loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clean39T
08-27-2018, 09:25 PM
I take photos of my garage before I go out of town and open cabinets to get those too. But I could be better about it. We all could I guess..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Lanternrouge
08-27-2018, 09:50 PM
Recommendations and a disclaimer

The disclaimer part - it may be worth the call vs relying on this post to check with your specific carrier to confirm what documents would be required in the event of a theft or other covered loss.

It's also good to have a copy of your policy and read it.

Irishgirl
08-27-2018, 09:54 PM
Great suggestion...and as an FYI if you are having trouble sleeping pick up an insurance policy to read. [emoji6]

eBAUMANN
08-27-2018, 11:19 PM
I also want to add that has anyone noticed that once you actually go through your "stuff" that you not only have WAY more than you realized? When I do this I ask myself "how the f**k did I EVER end up with all THIS?!?!?!

Precisely what led me to this (www.instagram.com/2_much_stuff) ;)
Stuff is overrated.

When the burden of it outweighs the enjoyment you derive from it...its time to move on!

hollowgram5
08-28-2018, 06:32 AM
Stuff is overrated.

When the burden of it outweighs the enjoyment you derive from it...its time to move on!I'm getting there myself. This current move I'm in has been a big motivator to unload all sorts of stuff once I get to my new location..

djg
08-28-2018, 07:26 AM
Having a list of serial numbers makes sense, along with backup copies of receipts and photos. On the other hand, I didn’t really have any trouble establishing my loss with my insurer the one time I reported a stolen bike — the main thing seemed to be that I had reported the theft to the police. Some stolen bikes are recovered but I was told that the large majority are not. I’d focus more on my insurance coverage, and sensible precautions to lower the risk of theft. In my case, my basic home owner’s policy came through. I did post some notices, look for ads, etc. but I nothing came of it and I wouldn’t put much stock in the possibility of recovery if another bike were stolen.

DRZRM
08-28-2018, 07:39 AM
Yeah, as stated above, there is a big difference between documentation for the police, and documentation for your homeowners/renters insurance. Most pressing is knowing exactly what your insurance requires and will cover. Some companies offer specific riders for bikes, some don't. Every time I renew or change anything with my insurance I inquire about a bike rider and ballpark for the adjuster what the loss of my bikes would cost to replace. For them wedding rings and watches have to be documented with serial numbers (watches) on an individual rider, but bikes do not and cannot. Be sure you understand what they require, as I imagine if all my bikes were cleaned out the individual adjuster would likely be surprised by the legitimate replacement cost of the claim.

BikeNY
08-28-2018, 07:48 AM
Some good ideas here, and I admit to being way too lax on this as well. I just looked through the Bikeindex site, but am wondering about custom bikes. My 3 'good' bikes are all custom and have no serial numbers, so how does one go about registering those? For an insurance claim I have the original bills of sale, but that's only for the frame or frame and fork. I guess a good video log of each bike, identifying each component would make the most sense.

Jaybee
08-28-2018, 07:48 AM
One of the biggest things that helped with my insurance adjuster was that even though I didn't have receipts for everything (craigslist, classifieds here, etc.), I was able to provide a spreadsheet with the build list, detailed descriptions of each item (i.e. "Thomson Elite seatpost, 440mm, straight") and what I remembered paying for the item. This makes it really easy for the adjuster to look up the item and determine a replacement cost for you, and making their life easier means they can make your life easier.

In my case, I lost 4 production bikes totaling about $12k - though I do like the bikes I had, everything is easily replaceable. Many of you have single frames that would beat that figure and it's probably worth a call to your agent to determine exactly what you would have coverage for. One of the things my adjuster said - " after doing this for 5 years, I'm never amazed by what things cost anymore."

Jaybee
08-28-2018, 07:50 AM
Some good ideas here, and I admit to being way too lax on this as well. I just looked through the Bikeindex site, but am wondering about custom bikes. My 3 'good' bikes are all custom and have no serial numbers, so how does one go about registering those? For an insurance claim I have the original bills of sale, but that's only for the frame or frame and fork. I guess a good video log of each bike, identifying each component would make the most sense.

video/photo log, plus maybe you have receipts for the parts that aren't frame/fork?

smontanaro
08-28-2018, 08:09 AM
I paint the last four digits of my SSN on the fork steerer tube....it's out of sight and easy enough to get to to identify.

An alternative to paint would be a piece of paper with name, address, etc. and taped over on the fork.

Or in the bottom bracket shell, or in the down tube. This thread reminds me I have to do all this stuff as well. I don't have anything too exciting from a dollar perspective, but I have several bikes. It would be painful to lose them to theft or fire.

C40_guy
08-28-2018, 08:49 AM
Goes without saying...but...make sure that you have replacement value insurance coverage.

Without it, a 1981 Raleigh 753 Team Pro, Campy Super Record, might bring you a $75 reimbursement.

With replacement value insurance, you're either getting a $1500 check to pay for a similar bike, or perhaps much more if your insurance adjuster will let you buy equivalent new. Hmm, top of the line steel, Campy SR. $8K?

A good friend's son had a mountain bike stolen. He was very sad, until he learned that the household insurance was going to fund the purchase of a very nice new bike...or in his case two very nice used bikes...

Irishgirl
08-28-2018, 08:55 AM
Over 30 years speaking on this topic...

And all great points/experiences/ recommendations raised within this thread...

Below are links to two bike specific insurance providers that look to provide a broad range of covered perils (insurance speak for cause of loss...aka fire/theft/physical damage) for bikes and related equipment. I’m not personally endorsing as I only did light research for purposes of this thread.

The one link from Markel does a good job of showing the differences between homeowners/renters insurance vs bike specific coverage. Personally, I have State Farm and I have added my bike to a Personal Articles Policy which provides a broader range of covered perils and a lower deductible than my homeowners policy. To add my bike (I know sadly admitting I only have one [emoji6]) which does not have the high dollar value as some of the other bikes I see pictured or discussed - and probably has a higher priceless sentimental value to me, was not very costly to add for the piece of mind - which is what insurance provides.

https://www.markelinsurance.com/bicycle/bike-insurance-vs-homeowners

https://velosurance.com

Wrapping up - a discussion with your agent combined with reading your policy and documentation (prior to experiencing a loss) makes the process of filing a claim (if one occurs) an easier task. It also provides you the information to make decisions on how much risk you are willing to take on consuming additional coverage or not.

Spaghetti Legs
08-28-2018, 01:55 PM
Stuff is overrated.

When the burden of it outweighs the enjoyment you derive from it...its time to move on!

Regular stuff is overrated. Campy stuff is valuable treasure that must be hoarded!

I keep an xcel file of my embarrassingly large bike collection with frame measurements and B.B. /dropout info. More for posterity sake, comparing geometry etc but in the back of my mind useful in the event of loss.

eBAUMANN
08-28-2018, 02:05 PM
Regular stuff is overrated. Campy stuff is valuable treasure that must be hoarded!

I keep an xcel file of my embarrassingly large bike collection with frame measurements and B.B. /dropout info. More for posterity sake, comparing geometry etc but in the back of my mind useful in the event of loss.

I also have a google doc that I use to log everything I buy and sell...it was part of what made me realize the absurd amount of money I was juggling and how I would rather just get rid of most of it instead of figuring out a way to cover my ass in every worst case scenario I could imagine.

gasman
08-28-2018, 02:09 PM
Two years ago my wife and I walked through our house with a camera and took a video of everything in our house. This included opening drawers if there was anything of value. It took us over two hours I think and we realized how much stuff we have accumulated over the last 27 years. The SD card we used is in a safe deposit box as well as a hard drive copy. I suppose we should update it since it's been a couple years but it feels like to much of a PITA right now.

zambenini
08-28-2018, 02:16 PM
For bikes, I let my vain bike-photographing stand in for other documentation proving I have the bikes, but yeah, it's a good idea to have video of everything you have.

On a related note, re: replacement value, apart from medical bills and so on, replacing my bike was part of a car-bike collision I was in. Took my bike to my local shop and they gave the insurance company the estimate on replacement value. My BMC Racemaster was toast ... but when the accident happened, BMC had moved on to the pricier and higher bling (though not as good for other reasons) Team Machine... and it wouldn't be fitting to replace the Racemaster with a lower tier bike, so, yeah, let's just say the shop did me a solid and said you're gonna need the Team Machine.

Goes without saying...but...make sure that you have replacement value insurance coverage.

Without it, a 1981 Raleigh 753 Team Pro, Campy Super Record, might bring you a $75 reimbursement.

With replacement value insurance, you're either getting a $1500 check to pay for a similar bike, or perhaps much more if your insurance adjuster will let you buy equivalent new. Hmm, top of the line steel, Campy SR. $8K?

A good friend's son had a mountain bike stolen. He was very sad, until he learned that the household insurance was going to fund the purchase of a very nice new bike...or in his case two very nice used bikes...

BrianE
08-28-2018, 07:01 PM
Not an insurance log perse but registering your bike(s) with services such as Bike Index can be viewed thru the eyes of Insurance companies as a proactive step by the owner should an incident surface.

BrianE
08-28-2018, 07:04 PM
Not an insurance log perse but registering your bike(s) with services such as Bike Index can be viewed thru the eyes of Insurance companies as a proactive step by the owner should an incident surface.

Also Project 529 https://project529.com/garage

djg
08-29-2018, 07:07 AM
Over 30 years speaking on this topic...

And all great points/experiences/ recommendations raised within this thread...

Below are links to two bike specific insurance providers that look to provide a broad range of covered perils (insurance speak for cause of loss...aka fire/theft/physical damage) for bikes and related equipment. I’m not personally endorsing as I only did light research for purposes of this thread.

The one link from Markel does a good job of showing the differences between homeowners/renters insurance vs bike specific coverage. Personally, I have State Farm and I have added my bike to a Personal Articles Policy which provides a broader range of covered perils and a lower deductible than my homeowners policy. To add my bike (I know sadly admitting I only have one [emoji6]) which does not have the high dollar value as some of the other bikes I see pictured or discussed - and probably has a higher priceless sentimental value to me, was not very costly to add for the piece of mind - which is what insurance provides.

https://www.markelinsurance.com/bicycle/bike-insurance-vs-homeowners

https://velosurance.com

Wrapping up - a discussion with your agent combined with reading your policy and documentation (prior to experiencing a loss) makes the process of filing a claim (if one occurs) an easier task. It also provides you the information to make decisions on how much risk you are willing to take on consuming additional coverage or not.

Yes, it does make sense to talk to one's agent, and to read one's policy. In my case, the same insurer's (SF's) homeowner's policy covered the replacement of a stolen Serotta cross bike, with a modest deductible -- no special rider, much less a separate policy -- but policies do vary.

The model frame was no longer available but the insurer accepted an email from Serotta (which was still a going concern) suggesting that a more expensive one was the closest thing they had to offer. In the end, SF paid for replacement with a substantially more expensive bike than the one that was stolen. I had copies of receipts for a fair bit of the build kit, but not all of it -- I knew what was on the bike and wrote out a parts list based on the receipts and my knowledge of the bike, and added a couple of photos I had taken. There were some hoops to jump through explaining and documenting what was what, but not all that much -- they didn't fight me on anything and the process didn't really take that long. The only oddity I can report is that they were willing to pay much more towards a replacement bike than they were in cash. More than double. I'm not complaining about that -- it resulted in my getting a dream bike custom built and painted, and having the build done for me. YMMV.

brewsmith
08-30-2018, 09:27 AM
I was the owner of the stolen Zanc that triggered this conversation and figured I'd post up my experience if it helps others.

Unfortunately, I did not make note of the serial number on the frame, and even though I had build sheets, dated pictures etc. that was not sufficient for the police to recover. The seller on eBay falsely claimed that he had been in possession of the bike for over 3 weeks and did provide a serial number (still not sure if there actually was one, an inquiry has been sent to Mike Z to see if he has it in his records) which did not leave me with a leg to stand on.

We do have renters insurance, and it seems the information I did have was enough to support a claim, so hopefully, i will get some sort of reimbursement from them, but as now it appears there is no hope of recovery which is a bummer on such a unique ride.

Moving forward, I have beefed up security on my bike storage and will definitely take better notes on my bikes and frames to try and avoid this in the future.

Lastly, I sincerely appreciate the support of the PL members who spotted the bike and helped out how they could. That bike index link is a great resource as well, one I will definitely be using in the future.

C40_guy
08-30-2018, 10:17 AM
Two years ago my wife and I walked through our house with a camera and took a video of everything in our house. This included opening drawers if there was anything of value. It took us over two hours I think and we realized how much stuff we have accumulated over the last 27 years. The SD card we used is in a safe deposit box as well as a hard drive copy. I suppose we should update it since it's been a couple years but it feels like to much of a PITA right now.

When I get around to doing my walkthrough :) I'll keep a couple of copies around the house and upload a copy to Dropbox.

Belt and suspenders on this one...

bambam
08-30-2018, 12:22 PM
Or in the bottom bracket shell, or in the down tube. This thread reminds me I have to do all this stuff as well. I don't have anything too exciting from a dollar perspective, but I have several bikes. It would be painful to lose them to theft or fire.

For years I but a business card in the seat post tube.
Who ever checks that thoroughly? if trying to prove to the police you could mention it. It cold be removed easily. Stick in a finger and pull it out.

I like the paint on the steer tube idea as well.

I have not heard of the registries before. My paranoid question? if the site is hacked could the info be changed by a thief? or they have your address and come to your house and take your baby?

zennmotion
08-30-2018, 01:04 PM
I only have, or understand part of the information regarding our homeowners policy regarding claims- so take it as a grain of salt, more like look closely at the fine print on your policy before you rest easy that you're covered. My understanding is that our HO policy limits the number of claims over a 3 year period and, at their sole discretion they can increase the premiums or cancel coverage at any time, for any reason. We recently had both wind damage to our roof and water damage in our basement, which counted as separate claims. Both claims weren't large amounts based on contractor estimates, but certainly more than replacement cost for an equivalent very nice high end bike. And after consultation from several good sources including our accountant, we decided it was better in our situation to eat the cost of our claims, especially given our $5K deductible (we opt for higher caution, higher catastrophic coverage), particularly since we will soon be renting the house out, and renters are definitely higher risk than we are for potential negligence that results in potential future damage. My point is that with our policy I do not think it would be worth making a claim for a stolen bike at all under our homeowners, or maybe only if ALL my bikes were stolen, and didn't reveal that most were bought second hand, and decided that the adjuster would not be able to tell the difference between 105 and Record in the pictures:no: . So I'm looking at separate insurance coverage separate from our home. I also have a valuable cello that's going to be separately insured as well. Look at your policy closely people!

Irishgirl
08-30-2018, 05:36 PM
The original question raised the point with regards to lists/documenting and insurance. Some have commented on the documents needed for the police which is separate and could be different from the documents your insurance company and adjuster may request.

It’s important to note the police document stolen items and may ask for details or proof different than an insurance adjuster. If an insured (person that suffered the theft) files an inaccurate police report it can be charged as a felony for falsifying a police report...this is partly the reason the insurance companies request a police report is made in an effort to reduce fraud.

Insurance companies reimburse the insured for covered items for covered perils (and yes there is fine print and it’s important to understand limits and conditions). And, depending on your coverage you may receive actual cash value (ACV) or replacement cost value (RCV). If you have a policy that provides RCV coverage you insurance company may settle for ACV until the item(s) are replace and then when you provide the receipts they will reimburse the remainder - and be mindful there may be a time limit to settle the claim. Insurance companies are motivated to settle claims quickly as the numbers prove the longer a file stays open the more it costs the insurance company.

It doesn’t surprise me the different experiences people have shared. There are too many variables from insurance companies, adjusters, circumstances of the loss (fire vs theft vs vandalism vs some other catastrophe), coverage amounts and deductible amounts.

The consistent message is to document (before a loss), understand your policy and your deductibles.

oliver1850
08-30-2018, 10:15 PM
I'm really lax about anything related to theft, might have serial numbers of a couple of bikes. The serial numbers would only do me good if recovered as nothing here is insured.

fogrider
09-01-2018, 02:21 AM
I think going for the insurance would only mean the insurance company will jack up my rates...the reality is, the value of a bike is not going to change my life. insurance is for when my house burns, or when earthquake hits.