PDA

View Full Version : Random Campy Knowledge Quiz Question

gt6267a
12-20-2003, 09:06 PM
I am wondering if anyone knows the size socket needed for the Campy Lockring Tool?

Also, if anyone has any advice for putting on and tightening a cassette that is I appreciate your help. Though I have been told it is not necessary, I borrowed a torque wrench from a friend to tighten the lock ring properly...

Thanks,
K

bfd
12-20-2003, 09:31 PM
I use the Park BBT-5 tool to install my Campy lockring and I believe it takes either a 26 or 27mm socket. Personally, I use a big crescent wrench.

As for installing the cassette, I grease both the freehub and the lockring. For more info, go to parktools here:

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQcogs.shtml

CarbonTi
12-20-2003, 09:34 PM
The Park tool for a Campy lockring will take a 1 inch socket. Or 25mm given the tolerance on your basic Craftsman socket.

Torque wrench? Good to have but not critical. - make it tight but if you wail on it, the serrations will make it hell to get off later. Lockring is much more forgiving of abuse than titanium stem bolts!

tuco
12-20-2003, 09:38 PM
A Park tool? That's what it is my toolbox.

http://www.parktool.com/tools/BBT_5.shtml

HTH.

gt6267a
12-20-2003, 09:39 PM
Good info so far. Thanks. I bought the campy tool from excel. not sure if the park tool is an exact replica?

which grease should i use in there? brand and how much? i assume this is in addition to lubing the chain after installation?

thanks,
k

tuco
12-20-2003, 09:54 PM
The Campagnolo website has documentation for all of their components online. There is a PDF file on "sprockets" that will help you. I don't think it mentions lube.

The 4th edition of the Barnett's bicycle repair manual is online in a lot of places. It suggests greasing the threads of the lockring.

Barnett's Manual (not current):
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=38747

Barnett's Manual (current; some chapters):
http://www.bbinstitute.com/manual.htm

HTH.

Say, on Excel site... Park $6.95 (or less) vs. Campy ($16.95). I have two Park tools since I have been stranded in ShimaNO territory with broken drive-side rear spokes and the premature failure of a Campy Chorus BB. Some shops don't carry this tool?!

[ Danged if editing this post isn't turning into a vocation. ]

gwk
12-20-2003, 09:57 PM
I have a 25mm combination wrench. It's interesting that the open end fits the Campy lockring tool perfectly, while the box end is too small. Go figure......

Kevin
12-21-2003, 08:12 AM
CarbonTi,

Which suburb o' NY is home?

Kevin

97CSI
12-21-2003, 12:04 PM
My 8" crecent wrench opens just wide enough to get onto the Campy cassette ring tool. And, I find that the maximum amount of torque that I can apply without hurting my hand with the 8" wrench has always kept the cassette tight and allowed me to loosen without too much of a struggle when it was time to do so. Is a trick I learned in the nuc navy, where we cut off the rachet handles so that the average person could not over-torque valves closed, which would result in an expensive and difficult valve rebuild. Same with your rear hub/pawls.

Too Tall
12-22-2003, 06:55 AM
I have general torque specs. for campag 10 but it does not mention the lockring. you might look at the spec. sheet which comes with your cassette. I've never bothered to measure but it feels like 30 foot pounds. Yes, always grease the ring. White lithium is good as it gets old and dirty and that reminds you to refresh it.
=================
Bottom bracket both cups 70 N.m/51.6 lb.ft
Brake (F&R) cable 5 N.m/3.7 lb.ft/44 lb.in
Brake mount (F/R) 10 N.m/7.4 lb.ft/88 lb.in
Cable guide under BB 5 N.m/3.7 lb.ft/44 lb.in
Crank chainrings 8 N.m/5.9 lb.ft/70 lb.in
Crank 32-38 N.m/23.6-28 lb.ft
Ergo levers mount 10 N.m/7.4 lb.ft/88 lb.in
Derailleur front cable 5 N.m/3.7 lb.ft/44 lb.in
Derailleur front mounting 7 N.m
Pedals 40 N.m/29.5 lb.ft
Derailleur rear cable 6 N.m/4.4 lb.ft/53 lb.in