PDA

View Full Version : Covered tow hitch platform

paredown
08-27-2018, 02:14 PM
I stumbled on this--can't even remember what I was looking for--and thought it looked like a good idea if you were traveling in your van conversion with your bikes outside--keep weather and road dirt off them, as well as provide more security.

https://blog.letsgoaero.com/enclosed-bicycle-hitch-carrier-holds-an-easy-three-bikes

AngryScientist
08-27-2018, 02:16 PM
that is really sweet.

d_douglas
08-27-2018, 02:42 PM
well that is awesome!

Not too aero on a regular car, but pretty secure!

ORMojo
08-27-2018, 02:50 PM
I'm trying to understand how this necessarily makes the bikes more "secure" than on a standard hitch rack? The Black Box, in its standard setup, provides a "location" for one padlock. Cut that one padlock, and you have access to the bikes. Sure, you could also lock the bikes together (assuming there is more than one in the box), but in the end, all this seems to add is one padlock to whatever security we already use on our hitch rack mounted bikes. That's not a big deal to a determined thief.

And at nearly $2,000 outfitted to carry four bikes, and a massive ~175 pound object to store when not in use . . . I still like my 1Up!

HenryA
08-27-2018, 03:35 PM
Like that!

Pricey and maybe worth it to the right person.

MattTuck
08-27-2018, 03:41 PM
Two things going on there. I think the more valuable is to keep the bikes out of the weather. Anyone who has driven through heavy rain with bikes on racks (any kind of rack) knows that is not really great for the bikes.

If it provides a little extra security from opportunistic thieves, that may just be a bonus.