PDA

View Full Version : Pirelli

gasman
08-26-2018, 07:56 PM
Pirelli has entered the bike tire market after being absent for many years. Has anyone tried any of their 3 new offerings ?

Rafa
08-26-2018, 11:07 PM
I’ve been running the PZero Velos in 700x25 for about 900 miles, all good so far. They’re on some new Shamals I got, so I’m not really able to offer much comparison, as both the tire and the wheel were new to me at the same time.

I’ve only had one flat, and I didn’t mount the tires to the wheels originally. I must admit that I had a bit of trouble getting the tire to bead up fully—like to spin without bumps. Again, I’m not sure if it was the tires, the Shamals, or my non-pro status (although I haven’t had the issue before).

Heck, I’m retrospect, my info might be of no use, but if you’ve got a specific question/request, let me know.

merckxman
08-27-2018, 07:04 AM
I'm running PZero Velos in 700x23. I really like how they roll and handle; been caught in some heavy rain at events recently and they have been terrific in the wet. I'm coming off Continental 4000s.

tttsmm
08-27-2018, 08:22 AM
been using both the p-zeros and p-zero 4s (25c), rolls very smoothly, handling round corners are good as well, the p-zero feels a little faster than the 4s but the compound seems softer. mine are quite cut up after only about 800kms.

gasman
08-27-2018, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

I was curious about real life reports as these are pretty new tires that perform well in lab tests performed by bicycle rolling resistance.
I'm always looking for a good performing tire that won't puncture to easily-though I know there's an inverse relation. The faster the tire in general the lighter, thinner and more easily it's punctured.

m4rk540
08-27-2018, 02:39 PM
Nice tires. Most go back to Corsas.

gasman
08-27-2018, 02:44 PM
Nice tires. Most go back to Corsas.

Veloflex Corsas or Vittoria ?

I tried some Veloflex several years ago-rode like a pair of slippers, so nice but they were cut up so much after about 500 miles that I was too nervous to ride them any more.

m4rk540
08-27-2018, 03:51 PM
Vittorias.

The Pirellis were distributor comps.

gasman
08-27-2018, 04:08 PM
Thank you

AngryScientist
08-27-2018, 04:14 PM
i wouldnt mind trying a set, but as above, the new vittoria corsas are such good all around road tires, i think it would be hard to improve upon them.

Avispa
08-27-2018, 05:25 PM
I switched from Contis to the Pirellis a few months ago... I am happy with the Pirelli feel and durability so far. One thing I was going crazy with Conti was the threads peeling on the sidewalls. So far I notice same wear for about about the same mileage (2000+) and no punctures with the P's.

I have tried the P Zeros and the P Zero 4S. prefer the 4S as they have a better feel on wet roads.

By the way, all the Pirelli bike tires are made by Hutchinson in Europe.

AngryScientist
08-27-2018, 05:27 PM
I switched from Contis to the Pirellis a few months ago... I am happy with the Pirelli feel and durability so far. One thing I was going crazy with Conti was the threads peeling on the sidewalls. So far about the same mileage (1000+) and no punctures with the P's.

I have tried the P Zeros and the P Zero 4S. prefer the 4S as they have a better feel on wet roads.

By the way, all the Pirelli bike tires are made by Hutchinson in Europe.

every single conti tire i've ever used has suffered a sidewall issue before the tread wore out. i'm done with them.

livingminimal
08-27-2018, 05:29 PM
Are the reg corsas any good now?
I am really loving Corsa Controls. Have had one puncture inside 250 miles, but I am pretty sure I rolled through a glass mine field.

Avispa
08-27-2018, 05:35 PM
every single conti tire i've ever used has suffered a sidewall issue before the tread wore out. i'm done with them.

I think the sidewalls is one of those "Achilles tendon" parts of a road bike tire... I went from Conti to Schwalbe to now Pirelli... I'll see how these last ones hold...

On the Contis, even on their most durable ones, such as the 4 Season, this became an issue...

AngryScientist
08-27-2018, 05:38 PM
I think the sidewalls is one of those "Achilles tendon" parts of a road bike tire... I went from Conti to Schwalbe to now Pirelli... I'll see how these last ones hold...

On the Contis, even on their most durable ones, such as the 4 Season, this became an issue...

agreed. same experience - yet, i've never experienced this nonsense with a vittoria or panaracer tire.

Avispa
08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
agreed. same experience - yet, i've never experienced this nonsense with a vittoria or panaracer tire.

Definitely worth the try on those two you mention... Can you elaborate on the model, durability and puncture resistance of these Vitt and Pana? I was on Veloflex many years ago and surely miss their suppleness and smooth ride, but and I could just whisper "glass" and they flatted! So, never stayed with them too long...

Keith A
08-27-2018, 05:52 PM
By the way, all the Pirelli bike tires are made by Hutchinson in Europe.With this information, why would someone by a Pirelli instead of a Hutchinson?

cmbicycles
08-27-2018, 05:58 PM
With this information, why would someone by a Pirelli instead of a Hutchinson?
Just because Hutchinson makes the tires doesn't mean they are the same as what they offer. It is a similar reason someone might pick a trek over giant, even though some trek and many other bikes are made by Giant mfg, they aren't the same bike any more than the many models giant mfg pumps out for giant bicycle. You have to evaluate many things on their own merits, not which factory makes them... though that can have some effect.

ptourkin
08-27-2018, 06:08 PM
Just because Hutchinson makes the tires doesn't mean they are the same as what they offer. It is a similar reason someone might pick a trek over giant, even though some trek and many other bikes are made by Giant mfg, they aren't the same bike any more than the many models giant mfg pumps out for giant bicycle. You have to evaluate many things on their own merits, not which factory makes them... though that can have some effect.

Exactly. I like Gravel Kings but am pretty sour on Compass, which AFAIK are made in the same facility.

Avispa
08-27-2018, 07:33 PM
With this information, why would someone by a Pirelli instead of a Hutchinson?

Exactly. I like Gravel Kings but am pretty sour on Compass, which AFAIK are made in the same facility.

What cmbicycles said... I've heard a few models of Canyon Bikes are made at the Giant Factories as a matter of fact, the bikes raced by Movistar are not even made in the same factories... And are not the same you and I would buy on their site.

As for tires, I am aware there are only a handful of tire factories (left) in Europe, which make the top tires for the rest. Hutchinson, Continental and Michelin being some of these manufacturers.

IJWS
08-27-2018, 10:10 PM
I put a pair of Diablo Rosso II's on my bike because the guy at the shop told me I'd get 5-6,000 miles out of them and they felt better than my Q3's. I was pleasantly surprised that they livened up the bike a lot. Tip-in was very fast and the bike was turning before I was finished setting up to turn. Great tires and they seem at home on a Ducati.