PDA

View Full Version : gravel tire choice

sfghbiker
08-26-2018, 09:52 AM
I've ridden the tread off my WTB Nano and looking to get some new tires. Criteria for new tires:
-higher volume (42-45)
-good tubeless performance
-relatively tough. much of the "gravel" in the northern CA are beat up fire roads, double track, very rocky. basically MTB light at times.
-decent pavement performance. I start all of my rides from home and they all involve at least 5miles of uphill pavement.

I would say the on road to off road ratio in this bike is around 40/60

current candidates:
-WTB Riddler 45
-WTB Resolute 42
-Gravelking SK 43

I am sort of leaning towards the resolute. anyone have input? Other tires I should consider?

Luwabra
08-26-2018, 06:12 PM
im a huge fan of the gravel king sk's bang for the buck theres no reason for me to try tons of different ones. I know people that like WTB tires but ive never had a reason to try swap. I ride compass and gk's fwiw on everything allroad i own.

Jaybee
08-26-2018, 08:20 PM
If you are more on dirt than asphalt, the resolutes might be what you are looking for. The one ride I did on Riddler 45s they almost felt too big. I really like the gravelking SK, more than Nano, but mostly because it isn't as draggy on pavement as the Nano.

JAGI410
08-26-2018, 08:21 PM
Compass Steilacom?

joosttx
08-26-2018, 08:28 PM
Not sure how wide you can go but I would give the compass tires a shot. Get the widest you can. A lot of my friends ride them in the Bay area.

rkhatibi
08-26-2018, 08:51 PM
I've been running the Resolutes tubeless this summer. Been a great tire so far with no issues. I'm in the same boot with needing to get out of SF to get to the gravel. Works well enough on the street and I'm not sure I'd want to go bigger/heavier.

fogrider
08-26-2018, 09:05 PM
I'm just the opposite when it comes to road to dirt mix, but I just climbed Mt Tam on the Ramblers and was really surprised how good they are over rocks. I've put a bunch of miles on the road to the Headlands and the trails at the there, but most of the trails there are not too rocky. Go up on Eldridge Grade and coming down on Railroad, the Rambers really impressed me!

sfghbiker
08-26-2018, 09:07 PM
yes I am sort of interested in compass tires but I am concerned about the various reports of the challenges of setting them up tubeless (pretty sure I could deal with this) and their overall toughness in regards to puncture resistance. the WTB Nano is certainly not the fastest or most compliant ride but it has really been set it up and basically not worry about it (probably just cursed myself). seems like the compass tires would be a great rough road, light gravel tire and less of a mini mountain bike tire which doesn't drag on the pavement which is what I am looking for.

sfghbiker
08-26-2018, 09:35 PM
ok putting rambler on the list. not sure how they compare to the resolutes. they honestly seem pretty similar. resolutes will be a bit bigger which might be a plus.

scoobydrew
08-26-2018, 09:52 PM
Subscribed as I'm in the same boat (WTB Nano TCS and Bay Area riding).

I'm happy with the Nanos for what they are, but would prefer something a tad faster rolling on asphalt as I need to ride ~15 miles before I hit any dirt. On that note, I don't want to sacrifice dirt capability (grip + durability).

weisan
08-26-2018, 09:55 PM
Bruce Gordon RocknRoad

Burning Pines
08-26-2018, 11:20 PM
Soma cazaderos have been good to me in 50mm on my touring bike. I’d say they roll faster than the nanos I’ve been using on my cross bike even though they are much larger, especially when aired up. I think they’d be perfect for a ride where you pump them for the ride to trails then air down. Easy tubeless setup but needed a lot of sealant. They come in a 42 if 50s are too much.

Downsides, they’re pricier than wtbs by a little, bad in mud, and maybe less sidewall protection.

d_douglas
08-27-2018, 12:15 AM
ok putting rambler on the list. not sure how they compare to the resolutes. they honestly seem pretty similar. resolutes will be a bit bigger which might be a plus.

I use Maxxis Ravagers - the Rambler with more tread. They’re 40mm and have been great so far. The Ramblers sounds like they’d be a great match for you...

fishwhisperer
08-27-2018, 12:19 AM
Another Bay Area vote for the Resolutes (I run them in 700x42 on my Hunter). Slower than the Nano on pavement, but more than make up for it in the sand and loose-over-hard stuff on the federal land in the area and in the parks in the city.

I've tried a variety of different tires and if you need something better rolling on pavement than the Nano, you should be looking at a high volume slick.

sfghbiker
08-27-2018, 02:28 PM
so pulled the trigger on the resolutes. we’ll see how they go. I have to admit to being interested in the higher volume compass tires but I remain concerned about riding them in tougher environments. the race I did this weekend (old growth classic) had sections up to 24% grade loose dirt fire road climbing and high speed descents through rocky sections. is it just my old way of thinking that a compass file tread would get destroyed in this type of environment (or destroy me).

maybe i’ll order some and bang em around shorter non race rides and see if I flat them or end up laying the bike down in loose corners. not sure I have the technique/skills to succeed with this type of tire in a tough norcal “gravel” race environment

VTR1000SP2
08-27-2018, 02:35 PM
Terrene Elwood's are my current go-to and I'm pretty sure there's a set for sale in our classifieds.

ptourkin
08-28-2018, 01:45 PM
I love my Maxxis Ramblers. Apparently 45s were at Dirty Kanza and have been seen at some trade show booths.

sfghbiker
08-30-2018, 09:03 PM
Resolutes went on super easy. Used my floor pump with the "overdrive" to get them seated. 2 oz fluid got them sealed up. I rode them around the Marin Headlands and they felt great. Perhaps a bit faster than the Nano as well as a bit more secure and a bit nicer ride. There were times that the rear tire lost traction on steep uphills more than I would like but I was also running them at 30PSI which might have been a bit much. Overall very pleased.