PDA

View Full Version : Headtube Angle...help!

mso
08-26-2018, 08:47 AM
I just purchased a new frameset and now I’m concerned it may be a little big. My custom Ericksen has a
HTA of 72.5
Parlee Chebacco 71.5 but Fit Werk says it’s 74.5? Are they adding the fork rake?
Both have a TT 52.5 perfect for me but I’m confused how the HTA May change my reach. I use a 90 stem on the Ericksen.

tuscanyswe
08-26-2018, 09:43 AM
I just purchased a new frameset and now I’m concerned it may be a little big. My custom Ericksen has a
HTA of 72.5
Parlee Chebacco 71.5 but Fit Werk says it’s 74.5? Are they adding the fork rake?
Both have a TT 52.5 perfect for me but I’m confused how the HTA May change my reach. I use a 90 stem on the Ericksen.

The headtube angle will not effect as much as the seattube angle because the measurement of tt length is taken at the center of toptube/headtube junction so only on the few centimeters above this point will the hta effect your reach (a spacer + stem typically). So if using a lot of spacers it makes a little difference but normally dont effect much. Seattube angle effect more since you have a lot of seatpost and saddle above the measurment point of the toptube length.

Short awnser, wont effect much unless you have a huge spacer stack.

And fork rake has nothing to do with HTA other than they both together determine the bikes trail. Rake wont effect your reach. Hta will (a little).
Regardless of all of above the HTA of the parlee is 71.5 according to their webpage in your size. So thats just 1 degree of your eriksen and if anything would feel slightly shorter (in theory all else the same).

Peter P.
08-26-2018, 10:04 AM
You couldn't possibly fit a 74.5 degree head angle with a 52.5cm top tube; the front wheel would hit the downtube. Fit Werks has their numbers wrong. Go by the Parlee PDF.

John H.
08-26-2018, 11:48 AM
What is Fit Werk?
Parlee website says head angle is 71.5-

HTA of 72.5

rnhood
08-26-2018, 11:54 AM
It’s 71.5. Maybe Fitwerk is a fake fit site.

cp43
08-26-2018, 11:59 AM
What is Fit Werk?
Parlee website says head angle is 71.5-

I'm assuming he means Fit Werx, they're a well known shop in New England:

https://fitwerx.com/

Although, it does seem they are mistaken in this case.

Chris

dddd
08-26-2018, 04:15 PM
With 43cm chainstays and 71.5-Degree HT angle, this bike should handle well with a shorter than normal stem length.

This compromises how close that one can draft safely in a paceline, so is not the recipe for a roadrace bike, but other than that this is a versatile geometry.

With the prospect of having 40mm tires installed, the front center dimension probably should not be any shorter, especially for offroad use where frequent large steering corrections are likely.

mso
08-26-2018, 06:33 PM
I'm assuming he means Fit Werx, they're a well known shop in New England:

https://fitwerx.com/

Although, it does seem they are mistaken in this case.

Chris

Yes it’s the shop in New England and here’s a section of the article on a review they did of the Parlee Chebacco that relates to the HTA

One criticism we’ve had of Parlee’s road geometry for awhile is that we wish they went one size smaller. This criticism holds true on the Chebacco as well. The 52.5cm top tube in combination with a 74.5 degree head tube angle makes the size “Small” big for many smaller riders and really only fitting about 60% of the women we fit well. The smallest size of a bike like Cervelo’s new C5 and C3 have about 1cm shorter reach overall and we hope that a smaller size will be added in the future as the Parlee Chebacco has great ride characteristics that could really be enjoyed by many smaller riders.

tuscanyswe
08-26-2018, 06:48 PM
I think its an error on their part. I think they are refering to the seattube angle even tho that is listed at 74 and not 74.5 on the parlee site. The way they talk of how the want it to be smaller makes more sense when talking about sta rather than hta. Many small sizes bikes have rather steep sta tho.