PDA

View Full Version : Classic Bend?!

CJH
11-01-2006, 09:38 PM
Here's a question for those of you riding Deda 215 Deep Drop bars or others like them. Recently I got a pair of Oval Concepts Classic bend deep drop bar to replace my anatomic Cinelli Nerve bars. Both are 42c-c size, however when I got them installed and rode them for the first time it felt as though something was off?! They felt alot wider, and sure enough upon measuring the bars they turn out to grow from 42 at the end of the drops to 43ish where the levers are normally mounted! Upon checking the Cinelli Nerve bars they actually go from 42 at the drop ends to 40.5 at the point where the levers are mounted so that naturally "compounds" the perceived difference between the bars... I'm also a bit bothered by the squareness with which the Oval bars turn from the tops to flow into the bend, my wrists get wacked by them when standing up in a sprint for example... So kinda' wondering what the feelings are reg. the Deda 215 Deep bars in this regard? Do they measure the same throughout the entire bend of the bars? Also what clearance do they provide for your wrists while sprinting? Any other bars that might provide a good solution? Thanks!

ergott
11-02-2006, 05:48 AM
pretty sure that the width stays the same from the hoods to the drops. I have a pair (215 deep) and haven't noticed any major width changes.

coylifut
11-02-2006, 10:10 AM
I experienced the same thing when I switched to the Ovals. However, I have no live nerve ending on my wrists, forearms, elbows and shins so it doesn't matter much to me.

chrisroph
11-02-2006, 03:04 PM
I experienced the same thing when I switched to the Ovals. However, I have no live nerve ending on my wrists, forearms, elbows and shins so it doesn't matter much to me.

From delivering too many blows to bags, heads, arms, etc. But look at the bright side, you still have some live nerves in your head. :beer:

shinomaster
11-02-2006, 10:21 PM
WHat do you do to get so messed up?

chrisroph
11-02-2006, 11:14 PM
WHat do you do to get so messed up?

former world champion full contact marshall arts master...but you'd never know it unless he told you.

shinomaster
11-02-2006, 11:19 PM
***...I thought that was Jason Weinstein??

William
11-03-2006, 05:41 AM

That's what happens when you use rolling pins, bowling pins, and coke bottles to kill off the nerve endings. :no:

"Higher consciousness through harder contact."

William ;)

Fat Robert
11-03-2006, 06:38 AM
I noticed some banging last night when doing the first power start/jump of last night's workout

my arm argle changed a little so it wasn't banging anymore

no more banging

i think your body will figure it out and adjust on its own

atmo
11-03-2006, 10:52 AM
have i misconstrued this thread? all the oval concept
classic bend h'bars i measured here (and there are
at least 6 dozen...) are the same width at the ends
as they are at the brake lever area atmo.

Lunar Probe
11-03-2006, 01:21 PM
The Deda Belgian drop has what I consider a fairly smooth gradual curve from the tops to the drops. (My) Oval classic shallow drop has practically the same curve, and measures a full 42cm at the end of the flats as opposed to 41.5cm at the hoods. I'd imagine that the slight flare of the Oval is designed to enhance wrist/forearm clearance.

The Ritchey OS classic deep drop, OTH, is an example of a sharp bend and its something that catches the eye as soon as you see it.

P.S. Where to get the Oval deep drop in 40cm c-t-c?