PDA

View Full Version : Respirator suitable for outside exercise in wood smoky haze (eg CA wildfires)

Wayne77
08-24-2018, 09:16 AM
I need to continue some training outside, but CA wildfire smoke is making the air quality in Northern Utah really bad. Any one know what respirator rating would work? I see N95 rated masks at Lowe’s. Based on research woodsmoke particles (which surprisingly can be smaller that auto air politician particles!) are up to 2 microns in size. Looks like N95 filter down to .3 microns, which should be sufficient. The other variable is intense breathing...I wonder if that changes things. Thoughts?

benb
08-24-2018, 09:23 AM
Talk about a rough situation...

I am finding hard to believe such a respirator even exists where you could train hard and breathe hard without it restricting your breathing?

But I guess Firefighters and others are doing heavy exercise in these environments and have this requirement. Their gear seems too big/heavy for biking/running though!

AngryScientist
08-24-2018, 09:30 AM
man, i hear ya.

i was just in Seattle for a week, and my lungs hurt. No way i'd ride in that with no protection. lots of the cyclists i saw there were wearing some type of masks for sure.

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2018/8/21/17761908/seattle-air-quality-haze-smoke-wildfire-health

Jaybee
08-24-2018, 09:50 AM
I work in oil and gas remediation and hazmat emergency response - we use respirators regularly. I don't have specific experience with wood smoke particulate protection or firefighting equipment.

The N95 or N100 mask will get you a long way towards reducing your exposure, but expect it to be hot and wet inside under exercise conditions. Figure on the mask clogging quickly with the amount of air you are putting through it, and bring a spare with you. New mask every day at a minimum. Make sure the fit is tight or you might as well not be wearing it.

The sweat issue will only get worse as you step up to the more protective half face cartridge respirators. They aren't designed for prolonged heavy breathing. If we are in a situation that is that hot with that type of exertion then workers are getting breaks every 15 minutes. If you, god forbid, choose this route, make sure you have the correct cartridge. 3M organic vapor is magenta, #60921.

Tony
08-24-2018, 09:51 AM
Using the same mask for two weeks. I like the exhalation valve, comfortable. The problem I have using this mask is after a ride I break out with a rash around my nose.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-N95-Lawn-and-Garden-Valved-Respirator-Dust-Mask-2-Pack-8511GA1-2C-PS/300575440

Wayne77
08-24-2018, 10:01 AM
Forgot to mention that I’ll have to limit it to recovery rides outside and stick to Zwift for intense workouts

Talk about a rough situation...

I am finding hard to believe such a respirator even exists where you could train hard and breathe hard without it restricting your breathing?

But I guess Firefighters and others are doing heavy exercise in these environments and have this requirement. Their gear seems too big/heavy for biking/running though!

Jaybee
08-24-2018, 10:22 AM
Using the same mask for two weeks. I like the exhalation valve, comfortable. The problem I have using this mask is after a ride I break out with a rash around my nose.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-N95-Lawn-and-Garden-Valved-Respirator-Dust-Mask-2-Pack-8511GA1-2C-PS/300575440

If I'm reading you right, you've been using the same unit of equipment for 2 weeks? Or the same type of mask, new unit every day? If the former, some gentle advice as as a friend - there are a ton of bacteria growing in that thing, which probably has something to do with tour rash.

Ozz
08-24-2018, 10:30 AM
I am finding hard to believe such a respirator even exists where you could train hard and breathe hard without it restricting your breathing?...!

"Restricted Breathing" when training is a "thing"....go figure?

https://www.trainingmask.com/beastmode/

Cheers!

oldpotatoe
08-24-2018, 10:32 AM
Found this thumbing thru a Smithsonian mag.
Myairmask.com

jtakeda
08-24-2018, 10:47 AM
While an N95 mask is not the most comfortable for riding—it definitely will filter out the particulate matter from smoke.

The hospitals were handing them out last year during the fires. SF was so smoky it was hard to breathe and I wore a mask for 2 weeks at work to help out and it was immediately noticeable. My glasses did fog up quite a bit though

Clean39T
08-24-2018, 10:53 AM
Portland has had the 2nd or 3rd worst air quality in the world this week (of course we'll claim we had bad air before it was trendy..) and I've stayed off my bike and generally indoors all week. I went out last night since the AQI had dropped into the 150s and it was still awful - burning in my throat, eyes, and sinuses, and generally feeling like crap despite it being an "easy" ride.

It sucks, but I'd err on the side of not exposing yourself to that stuff any more than absolutely necessary.

And do some reading about how to keep your indoor environment clean during these times so if you are doing intervals indoors you aren't just sucking up the same stuff floating in the air outside.

RFC
08-24-2018, 11:07 AM
"Restricted Breathing" when training is a "thing"....go figure?

https://www.trainingmask.com/beastmode/

Cheers!

I've seen people using these, like this guy.

http://www.fitzness.com/blog/batmans-tom-hardy-bulks-up-to-play-bane-in-the-dark-knight-rises/

false_Aest
08-24-2018, 11:12 AM
I can't say anything about exercising in this but I often work in a shop space that is in the mid-90s.

This is, by far, the most comfortable mask I've used. Cradles my head, fits under a cap + welding helmet, doesn't irritate my skin. Not too much breathing restriction.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Comfort-Facepiece-Reusable-Respirator/dp/B00IF7RAP8/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1535126974&sr=8-14&keywords=3m+mask

smead
08-24-2018, 11:16 AM
A few weeks ago I signed up for the carmel valley double century down in central CA. The air there has been good over the last couple of weeks compared to Nor CA. But just yesterday, a low parked itself down in So CA and is pulling all the smoke from the Mendocino fire down to the central CA coast which is now in the unhealthy range. S##t!

I'm going to shave and wear an N95 mask and give it a go. Will be interesting trying to eat and drink on the bike :confused: Hopefully can get in enough air to get up Nacimiento ...

fishwhisperer
08-24-2018, 11:28 AM
Last year during the Napa and Sonoma fires I would bring 2-3 n95 masks with me on every ride. Definitely plan to swap them out if you're doing any serious riding —*they do get sweaty and lose effectiveness.

The problem I had was with my eyes. I wear contacts and the smoke really irritates them. I'm close to trying goggles...

notsew
08-24-2018, 11:35 AM
I can't say anything about exercising in this but I often work in a shop space that is in the mid-90s.

This is, by far, the most comfortable mask I've used. Cradles my head, fits under a cap + welding helmet, doesn't irritate my skin. Not too much breathing restriction.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Comfort-Facepiece-Reusable-Respirator/dp/B00IF7RAP8/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1535126974&sr=8-14&keywords=3m+mask

They are comfy and I used to wear this a lot when I worked on boats, but man, when I would work up a sweat the inside of the thing would turn into a swimming pool. I can't imagine riding in one, or anything really.

Indoors is the way to go I think. I rode 100 miles on Sunday with the AQI right around 100 (kinda didn't have a choice). I was feeling the smoke after for sure.

chairmandave
08-24-2018, 02:57 PM
Seeing how these fires have become the new normal, I just purchased a Respro Ultralight:

http://images.denniswinter.com/images/products/zoom/1523457290-77601600.jpg

Kinda spendy (45 USD at ChainReaction Cycle, 70 USD on Amazon), but the filter is washable and replaceable. The fit is pretty good too (much nicer than the disposable 3M masks).

donevwil
08-24-2018, 03:02 PM
Last year during the Napa and Sonoma fires I would bring 2-3 n95 masks with me on every ride. Definitely plan to swap them out if you're doing any serious riding —*they do get sweaty and lose effectiveness.

The problem I had was with my eyes. I wear contacts and the smoke really irritates them. I'm close to trying goggles...

I tried the N95s as well, but couldn't pass enough air at anything above a light spin to keep from getting light headed. Pretty impossible to find a flat ride around here so any rise was the end. I would strongly suggest something with better flow/lower restriction.

Ditto on the eyes, with so much attention on breathing I neglected my eyes and it took some time with regular drops to be back to normal.

vqdriver
08-24-2018, 03:10 PM
yeah, it's the new normal, especially here in socal. i cancelled a trip to yosemite this month due to the ferguson fire smoke. went to mammoth instead for some lifted days.
i read that breathing seattle air is like smoking 9 cigarettes a day (or something equally click-baity). my wife's up in portland right now and she says it's quite hazy
the station fire a few years back was real bad.

i just don't ride in those conditions.
i suppose it's not an option for the cycling-is-life folks but i guess i'm just not as invested in it. especially so since one of my kids' asthma is still quite sensitive to air quality and the summers are when we spend a lot of time together. i'll avoid the area or do something else instead, something less strenuous. hiking and fishing have been fun. masks in this heat is no fun

shinomaster
08-24-2018, 03:13 PM
Portland has had the 2nd or 3rd worst air quality in the world this week (of course we'll claim we had bad air before it was trendy..) and I've stayed off my bike and generally indoors all week. I went out last night since the AQI had dropped into the 150s and it was still awful - burning in my throat, eyes, and sinuses, and generally feeling like crap despite it being an "easy" ride.

It sucks, but I'd err on the side of not exposing yourself to that stuff any more than absolutely necessary.

And do some reading about how to keep your indoor environment clean during these times so if you are doing intervals indoors you aren't just sucking up the same stuff floating in the air outside.

I've been staying indoors too, training in this crap is really unhealthy!

FlashUNC
08-24-2018, 03:23 PM
If there ever was a sign from the universe to stay off the bike for a bit, poison air is certainly the one.

KidWok
08-24-2018, 03:28 PM
Hello from smoky Seattle! We're using 3M 6000 series respirator masks. Breathing is a bit harder, but not too bad. These are pretty comfortable to wear for awhile and the P100 rating takes care of everything. Fires are expected to last until October so we're in it for the long haul, hence just getting the masks instead of using disposables.

Tai

93KgBike
08-24-2018, 03:53 PM
Hello from smoky Seattle! We're using 3M 6000 series respirator masks. Breathing is a bit harder, but not too bad. These are pretty comfortable to wear for awhile and the P100 rating takes care of everything. Fires are expected to last until October so we're in it for the long haul, hence just getting the masks instead of using disposables.

Tai

I was going to suggest that. They're effective, but leave a really weird taste in the mouth after about and hour. I don't think it's the material in the mask or filter, more like some weird metabolic change they force. Dunno. But smh about the times.

joosttx
08-24-2018, 04:16 PM

Tai

I am dying here in Marin.

avalonracing
08-24-2018, 04:24 PM
Sorry to read this. I take trips from Maryland to the Bay Area to ride and one of the reasons is that air feels like taking hits of pure oxygen after this MD humidity and our typical air quality. But my friend in Berkeley sent me a picture today and it looks horrible. He said he rode in it yesterday and last night his nose was running and he felt sick. Hope it gets better out there soon.

Tony
08-24-2018, 04:41 PM
If I'm reading you right, you've been using the same unit of equipment for 2 weeks? Or the same type of mask, new unit every day? If the former, some gentle advice as as a friend - there are a ton of bacteria growing in that thing, which probably has something to do with tour rash.

Thanks for the advise! I'm on my forth mask, six rides in two weeks. For the hard rides one time use only, they look gross inside.

For those who think it's too restrictive, it could be for you. If your going hard its difficult to inhale. With my mouth open I'm sucking the mask close to or flat against my face. It took a couple rides to not want to rip it off my face while going hard, claustrophobic. However, exhale is smooth due to the valve. I've only rode early morning or late evening. I don't think I could handle riding with this mask if its over 80 degrees.

gasman
08-24-2018, 04:51 PM
The Respro Ultralight looks good but I don't think they are as effective as claimed-88% on their tests but closer to 80% in the real world.

Look at this guys blog- he's a Family practice doc in China who deals with bad air pollution all the time.

http://www.myhealthbeijing.com/china-public-health/n95-pollution-masks-buyers-guide-fit-test/

I've got several disposable N95 masks as well as a 3M respirator that Kid Wok models.

It's hard for me to imagine being able to do anything but walk or a Z1 ride. The masks really increase the work of breathing when they are effective. If it's easy to breath then it's probably not particularly effective. Like bandanas are worthless.

Wayne77
08-25-2018, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the Wealth of information - very helpful! I did a 1 hr gravel ride yesterday @ a fairly easy pace with a 3M R95 rated ventilator mask and it wasn’t a horrible experience. Obviously the lower effort helped but there were a few climbs where I really had to exert myself.

echappist
08-25-2018, 09:52 AM
3M 8511 is what i have. i had a brick dust issue in the basement for a while, and it was only after i could verify that there wasn't any dust floating around that i stopped wearing it.

i've done efforts up to extended FTP intensity work while wearing it, but one should be aware that it's a royal pain to drink, and even more of a royal pain when one needs to get rid of nasal drip. eventually, after 25 minutes, it comes a bit difficult.

3m Aura 9332 is what i will be buying next

8aaron8
08-25-2018, 10:08 AM
I don't have much to add as far as respirator options, but the air quality in California's central valley has been terrible for about a month now. I think I have ridden two or 3 times early in the morning this last month when the air was "moderate" and the rest of my day was used recovering from headaches and soreness in my throat and lungs. I suppose the trainer is coming out early this year.

cinema
08-26-2018, 09:42 AM
personally i have not found any suitable or comfortable for even 20 miles distances at a moderate pace. especially with a beard and glasses. i have tried all the 3ms, cloth type with filter, totobobo, etc. spent money and time trying to figure this out a few years ago. the 3m 95s are big and don't create the best seal, are uncomfortable and lose effectiveness quickly if you're riding everyday like i was. same with all other lightweights that have filters. most of them do not form a proper seal and move around due to sweat and you're not getting proper use out of them anyway.

the 6000 respirator mentioned here, which i also used, has a harness for your head. you can't really wear a helmet with this mask if you want a proper seal, unless you like being really uncomfortable and getting a headache from the pressure. it still had issues dealing with the amount of breathing i was putting out and leaves a painful, large wet red mark from the pound of heavy rubber strapped to your face.

let me save you some time and $; there is no solution unless you bring a tank.

Jaybee
08-26-2018, 10:19 AM
Worth pointing out that if you have a beard or even a real amount of stubble, you aren’t getting a truly protective seal.

As is pointed out upthread, if you feel like you can breath ok under effort, you probably don’t have a good seal and are getting some leakage from the edges.

These equipment just aren’t designed for serious exertion for more than 10-15 minutes at a time. People who need significant amounts of clean air under strenuous conditions are usually in supplied air.

Mzilliox
08-26-2018, 12:06 PM
smoke is really bad here, both my usual gravel routes have fires burning and are closed. I ride early am when its not so bad. i cannot stand wearing a mask, and cannot believe a good enough experience could be had with a mask to be worth it, but of course im not training for cross or anything, i ride because its fun to ride. If you dont want to breathe smoke, and you have to train for something, ride inside. why push riding outside when it can eliminate some of your gains?

and no, this is not the new norm! this is unacceptable and with proper management by well intentioned humans, very avoidable. :no: