Big Dan
08-23-2018, 03:06 PM
That's a bad deal.

dbnm
08-23-2018, 03:08 PM
And it's on Wikipedia

weisan
08-23-2018, 03:08 PM
https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/attachments/f2/109191d1535052338-dario-gone-screen-shot-2018-08-23-12-24-47-pm-png

"goodbye Dario, you've suddenly gone leaving all of us speechless"

Dario had a heart attack.

eippo1
08-23-2018, 03:09 PM
Super sad:

https://www.cyclinside.it/web/e-morto-dario-pegoretti-uno-dei-piu-grandi-telaisti-italiani/

and translated via chrome:

23 Aug 2018 - The news has slipped almost in secret, as well as the character of Dario Pegoretti, a convinced and decisive canvas player with the welding machine in his hand, but equally shy in life. Dario Pegoretti is gone. Difficult to digest this thing thinking of Dario. One so, full of ideas and inventions has always been an institution.

A news rebounded by a friend, then confirming the news. As far as we know, Pegoretti would have had a heart problem in the late afternoon, around 7.00pm. And he left right next to his company.

Difficult to comment on such news. A person who, beyond the teleworking skill, was also a volcanic mind and full of ideas: have you ever ventured to ask for a precise color for a frame? He would have done his own thing anyway, but leaving everyone fully satisfied.
So it was Dario, exuberant and precise in his work, where he often had to make important decisions. A continuous source of stories even beyond the frames. As when he came to follow the presentation of a book by Claudio Gregori and then confessed: do you know that I was his pupil when he was teaching? I still have the excitement to see it.

Or one of the first times we had met him, at a fair many years ago. He went to his stand Ugo De Rosa, which Dario considered one of his teachers (but the estimate was mutual). "Are you working well?" Mr. De Rosa. At that moment Dario became very serious and explained his work to De Rosa as a student who answered a question hoping to be sufficiently prepared.

It was so Dario. Many call him - they called him - maestro because he was a bit of a lighthouse for a new way of making craft looms and also in the wake of the great Italian tradition. But he was always ready to question himself and learn new things and surprise everyone.
This time, however, we wanted a different surprise.

radsmd
08-23-2018, 03:09 PM
What? So sad if it is true.

Damn. Looks like it is.

RIP Dario.

Tickdoc
08-23-2018, 03:16 PM
***....so sad. will be missed, and not just for the beautiful bikes he leaves.

Addio Dario.

Clean39T
08-23-2018, 03:22 PM
Not that I knew him personally, but it seems Dario lived more during his years than many will who get given an extra few decades...

Hats off to a man who touched many lives through his passion and craft.

RIP

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Lionel
08-23-2018, 03:26 PM
So very sad.

LJohnny
08-23-2018, 03:29 PM
Argh. No way man! Say it isn’t true!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fignon's barber
08-23-2018, 03:33 PM
Very sad. Loss of an icon.

Dave B
08-23-2018, 03:34 PM
I know this is part of life, but I would dare say Dario’s impact on it and now the subsequent loss of his vision is just unfair. There is a void now in our world that will remain for...well possibly forever.

I am not a religious man, but Godspeed Dario, the heavens will be more beautiful now that they have your inspiration and talent.

coreydoesntknow
08-23-2018, 03:36 PM
Very sad to hear this, I'm glad he has left such a legacy and lasting impact though.

colker
08-23-2018, 03:40 PM
Dario brought a depth of class, culture and style to cycling that it never had before. No one and nothing follows his lead.
He loved art. He brought to cycling such an intense amount of visual arts influence like it is not even possible. Dario is inimitable.
Also a true gentleman.

FlashUNC
08-23-2018, 03:41 PM
Godspeed. He built great frames and, by all accounts, was a pretty great guy.

Time to dust off the Peg for a couple rides this weekend.

quehill
08-23-2018, 03:41 PM
Ughhh. So sad.

Sort of like losing Bourdain. When someone with that much life passes it kind of leaves a hole in the universe.

R3awak3n
08-23-2018, 03:46 PM
RIP Dario

Maybe one day I will be lucky to ride one of his bikes. Always been intrigued. But more than his bikes, I always liked his personality. Seemed like a hell of a guy

OtayBW
08-23-2018, 03:49 PM
Wow - sad news. I will ride the Responsorium tomorrow thinking of him with appreciation.

Tickdoc
08-23-2018, 03:53 PM
Wow - sad news. I will ride the Responsorium tomorrow thinking of him with appreciation.

ditto on the duende.

livingminimal
08-23-2018, 03:54 PM
Been riding my peg every day as of late.
This one hurts. Bad.
rest well, Maestro.

Salty
08-23-2018, 03:57 PM
Very sad.

I enjoyed reading the article someone posted about him yesterday. I have seen some of his creations in person (Above Category in Sausalito) and they are definitely works of art.

Burnette
08-23-2018, 04:04 PM
I knew him not but did see him at a NAHBS once. I did know of his work and read some articles about him and read some of his interviews. He and his work are both interesting, a loss indeed.

colker
08-23-2018, 04:04 PM
Dario´s paint and art work on frames, the model names... his frames are not works of art. They are better than works of art. It´s a symbiosis of art and function.

tv_vt
08-23-2018, 04:10 PM
So sad to hear this news. RIP Dario. Your bikes were an inspiration. I will miss you.

joosttx
08-23-2018, 04:13 PM
RIP. For sure his legacy will endure.

weisan
08-23-2018, 04:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q72EE5zte50

Keith A
08-23-2018, 04:29 PM
Wow, this is pretty shocking. He certainly left his mark on the cycling world and will be missed. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

binxnyrwarrsoul
08-23-2018, 04:39 PM
RIP. Fortunate enough to have one of his creations. A CTS Responsorium. Sad day, huge void with his passing.

pncguy
08-23-2018, 04:42 PM
Dario is inimitable.

I never knew the man, only his reputation. I think that word is, perhaps, the best I have read to summarize.

Vonruden
08-23-2018, 04:43 PM
NO!! What a loss.

I just received a Nitto Craft stem in the mail today for my Luigino.
http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj533/vonruden1/D3C1B05B-50C8-4E94-9D7E-3339808AC51B_zpst1af6guc.jpg (http://s1266.photobucket.com/user/vonruden1/media/D3C1B05B-50C8-4E94-9D7E-3339808AC51B_zpst1af6guc.jpg.html)

rnhood
08-23-2018, 04:43 PM
He built some beautifully thought out race bikes and made many people happy - including a few champions of the sport. Sad to see him go. He will be missed, but his influence will likely age very gracefully.

Polyglot
08-23-2018, 04:49 PM
Dario was supposed to go for pizza with a bunch of our common friends this evening, however before they could all arrive, Dario suffered a massive heart attack, EMT's arrive very quickly and tried everything possible to revive him, but there was simply nothing to do.

seanile
08-23-2018, 04:59 PM
Dario was supposed to go for pizza with a bunch of our common friends this evening, however before they could all arrive, Dario suffered a massive heart attack, EMT's arrive very quickly and tried everything possible to revive him, but there was simply nothing to do.

Sorry for your loss:(

Matthew
08-23-2018, 04:59 PM
Cycling has lost a true icon. RIP Dario.

sailorboy
08-23-2018, 05:00 PM
Wow, what a colossal loss. I've been fortunate to own a couple of his creations over the years, and also met him at NAHBS a few years back. A beautiful mind for sure. RIP brother, you will be missed.

Bob Ross
08-23-2018, 05:02 PM
:::speechless:::

BobO
08-23-2018, 05:08 PM
RIP Dario.

Heart disease sucks. :mad:

weisan
08-23-2018, 05:09 PM
Fell asleep last night while reading, book still lying on the bed where I left off...

EliteVelo
08-23-2018, 05:12 PM
Wow....so sad to be reading this. Thoughts and prayers to his family.

fignon's barber
08-23-2018, 05:26 PM
RIP Dario

Always been intrigued. But more than his bikes, I always liked his personality. Seemed like a hell of a guy

Agreed.

beeatnik
08-23-2018, 05:44 PM
Signore, I loved your style.

SlowPokePete
08-23-2018, 05:44 PM
^
Me too.

SPP

nobuseri
08-23-2018, 05:51 PM
RIP. My Peg was one of the finest in my stable. These days I am regretting letting it go.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WZQgefWTqkYSmfDv5

Hats off to one of the finest.

choke
08-23-2018, 05:51 PM
Riposi in pace Dario.

ultraman6970
08-23-2018, 05:53 PM
:(

bob heinatz
08-23-2018, 06:03 PM
I own one of Dario's bikes and it saddens me to hear about his sudden passing. RIP Dario!

s4life
08-23-2018, 06:07 PM
RIP Dario, one of the great visionaries, a true renaissance man.

SoCal Al
08-23-2018, 06:11 PM
Sad, he seemed like such an iconoclast (like Bourdain) that spoke the truth. Kinda nice read by Peloton's Augustus Farmer, they just put this up.

https://pelotonmagazine.com/features/the-legend-of-dario-pegoretti/

AngryScientist
08-23-2018, 06:12 PM
oh man, this is terrible.

i always hoped i would get to meet dario some day, he's my kind of guy.

RIP.

Fishbike
08-23-2018, 06:18 PM
What devastating news for his family and lovers of cycling and art everywhere.
I became a fan because of his passion, humanity and humor -- and obviously the ability to figure out how to make a magic carpet ride out of pipes. I have three Pegorettis, including a Ciavete that I just received a couple of months ago after a 10-month wait. My request for the paint was "bright colors and fish." I was so delighted when I received a fabulous little fish on the right chain stay.

I will be near Verona in a few weeks and was just about to email him about a visit to the shop.

What are the lessons we can learn from him? Be nice to people? Be yourself? Give it you all? Take time to find the beauty in the world? Be just a little provocative? Ride a tall head tube. . . .

RIP Maestro. Thank you for building and painting bikes that I love to ride.

pjbaz
08-23-2018, 06:19 PM
I joined last Monday's hammerfest on my Duende and have been riding that and the Mxxxxxo almost regularly since I was fortunate enough to get them. They truly are wonderful. Each ride I like them more and more.

RIP Mr. Pegoretti.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

merckx
08-23-2018, 06:25 PM
Oh my gosh, I am hollowed out. Completely empty.

Jimbo251
08-23-2018, 06:28 PM
I know I shouldn’t be, it’s not like I knew him personally. I’ve never even met him. But I’m just gutted today at the sudden news of his passing.

Dario (to me) was just this larger than life persona; more than any other person past or present (in the cycling world) I admired and respected him the most. The guy was a genius.

Rest in peace Dario. I’ll always cherish my Marcelo.

rallizes
08-23-2018, 06:48 PM
Only builder I really cared about

RIP

d_douglas
08-23-2018, 06:50 PM
Ha - I was just talking with an artist/designer friend of mine singing Dario’s praises. I shared the news with him today that he died and he said it was a great loss to the design community - so true. I love that people who don’t care about bikes recognize the loss as well.

I would someday love to ride one of his bikes - it seems like it’s a benchmark for anyone who loves bikes. I’ve ridden a Sachs and a Kirk as well - the trifecta of master builders?

Climb01742
08-23-2018, 06:55 PM
Dario has/had a son, who he loved so much. And you could tell the love was returned in equal measure. Please think of him tonight.

Dario was kind enough to attend our wedding in Italy and I was lucky enough to share one of the happiest times of my life with him. One memorable night in a tiny restaurant, Dario cajoled the chef into making some of his favorite dishes; ordered us way to much wine; and then tried to convince everyone to come outside to smoke afterwards, even those of us who never smoked. I had a few dinners with Dario. My god, none were ever dull...or sober. In the midst of his treatment for cancer, we had a few phone calls and even in those darkest of days, his titanic love of life and gulping down of all of it never left him.

He was Italian in every glorious sense. Man, I wish he’d taken better care of himself. But then taking care wasn’t Dario. And when you were with him, you never wanted to take care, either. He just made life better. God better have lots of pasta, wine, vinyl, and smokes on hand because heaven’s about to get rowdy.

Mikej
08-23-2018, 07:00 PM
Dang, great bikes, such an iconic person, his style and touch were instantly recognizable- his passion for his art as well -

merckx
08-23-2018, 07:08 PM
Dario has/had a son, who he loved so much. And you could tell the love was returned in equal measure. Please think of him tonight.

Dario was kind enough to attend our wedding in Italy and I was lucky enough to share one of the happiest times of my life with him. One memorable night in a tiny restaurant, Dario cajoled the chef into making some of his favorite dishes; ordered us way to much wine; and then tried to convince everyone to come outside to smoke afterwards, even those of us who never smoked. I had a few dinners with Dario. My god, none were ever dull...or sober. In the midst of his treatment for cancer, we had a few phone calls and even in those darkest of days, his titanic love of life and gulping down of all of it never left him.

He was Italian in every glorious sense. Man, I wish he’d taken better care of himself. But then taking care wasn’t Dario. And when you were with him, you never wanted to take care, either. He just made life better. God better have lots of pasta, wine, vinyl, and smokes on hand because heaven’s about to get rowdy.

This is profoundly poignant. Thank you for writing this.

msriddle
08-23-2018, 07:47 PM
RIP Mr. Round, it was a pleasure to meet you and a privilidge to ride one of your masterpieces. You did it right my friend.

54ny77
08-23-2018, 07:58 PM
Sad to hear. RIP to a true craftsman.

Clean39T
08-23-2018, 07:59 PM
This is profoundly poignant. Thank you for writing this.
+1

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Elefantino
08-23-2018, 08:03 PM
Godspeed. He built great frames and, by all accounts, was a pretty great guy.

Time to dust off the Peg for a couple rides this weekend.
The Peg should never, ever be dusty.

A cycling icon. Sad day.

The Basquiat Respos are perhaps the greatest bikes ever made.

maxcolumbus
08-23-2018, 08:08 PM
Addio Maestro.

joep2517
08-23-2018, 08:10 PM
RIP Dario. You will be missed. :(

Thank you for sharing this...

climbgdh
08-23-2018, 08:24 PM
I am very saddened by this..... RIP Dario. I’m lucky to own one his bikes.... a Duende. An amazing bike built by a true craftsman and master of his trade. Thoughts to his family........

DG24
08-23-2018, 08:36 PM
I have always had a soft spot for the short Rapha film of Dario.

RIP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MQF1nadGRg

huck*this
08-23-2018, 08:40 PM
What an amazing human being. A true legend to the sport. Glad I was able to own one of his masterpieces. RIP Round!

https://theradavist.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/pegoretti-7.jpg

David Kirk
08-23-2018, 08:49 PM

Thank you.

dave

joev
08-23-2018, 08:54 PM
Never seen one in person...don't know anyone personally who has ridden one...but from all comment here on this forum his frames could be the ones that are most adored. An era has now passed.:(

Caballero
08-23-2018, 09:00 PM
What ****ty news .... wish I’d bought Ryuns big leg Emma

mjb266
08-23-2018, 09:02 PM
I think I'll crack a beer, put on some jazz, and go work on a bike tonight.

Might not be the Peg,

doesn't need to be,

But as one beer becomes two, and the music plays on, I'll reflect on the man, and consider if I am living my life with as much passion as he did.

chriscap
08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
I think I'll crack a beer, put on some jazz, and go work on a bike tonight.

Might not be the Peg,

doesn't need to be,

But as one beer becomes two, and the music plays on, I'll reflect on the man, and consider if I am living my life with as much passion as he did.

Very well said. Dario's passion fed the passion of so many others - what a wonderful gift to give to the world.

Riposare in Pace

Never
08-23-2018, 09:32 PM
:( :( :(

I do not know if there is a Heaven or not, but if there is one I bet that a new arrival is now sitting outside, dressed in old khakis and a flannel shirt, on the warm and worn stone steps in some dusky soft garden, with half a sigarette and some whiskey, winking back at the stars, all those ashes mixing together, smiling freely and softly humming in that wonderful, kind Veneto-Trentino accent:

Laughs and jokes
And drinks and smokes
And no lights on the stairs
We were young, so young
And always broke
Not that we ever cared
Not that we ever cared

And, if there is no Heaven, he is doing all of that anyway.

saab2000
08-23-2018, 09:47 PM
I've had the amazing fortune to meet a few masters of their trade in my time and meeting Dario Pegoretti was one of those meetings. He proclaimed himself to be just a plumber or welder and I believe all of this. But he clearly had a knack for design, art and human interaction and my short interaction with him at NAHBS was, and remains, a highlight of that quick visit, and indeed, my life with bike builders of the highest order. These are not simple machines to design or construct but he did it at the highest level for the most discerning of riders at the top of their game. Too short and now lost to the dusts of the passage of time.

Humbled and honored to have met a true master and gentleman.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1856/43511607024_a1fa7cf60a.jpg

weaponsgrade
08-23-2018, 10:03 PM

That's a great story and nicely sums up how I picture his at least public persona. RIP.

Jimbo251
08-23-2018, 10:05 PM
RIP. Fortunate enough to have one of his creations. A CTS Responsorium. Sad day, huge void with his passing.

Damn that's a beautiful Peg.

thwart
08-23-2018, 10:06 PM
:( :( :(

I do not know if there is a Heaven or not, but if there is one I bet that a new arrival is now sitting outside, dressed in old khakis and a flannel shirt, on the warm and worn stone steps in some dusky soft garden, with half a sigarette and some whiskey, winking back at the stars, all those ashes mixing together, smiling freely and softly humming in that wonderful, kind Veneto-Trentino accent:

Laughs and jokes
And drinks and smokes
And no lights on the stairs
We were young, so young
And always broke
Not that we ever cared
Not that we ever cared

And, if there is no Heaven, he is doing all of that anyway.

Lovely.

He will be sorely missed.

mhespenheide
08-23-2018, 10:23 PM
No matter how old or how young, the good ones leave us too soon.

ducati2
08-23-2018, 10:39 PM
I sent him a note asking about some touch up paint for a Duende. He was so accommodating. I told him that his bike was the most perfect I had owned over so many years of riding. He responded as if I had given him some kind of precious gift with that compliment and seemed so authentically pleased that I loved that bike so much. Ciao Maestro.

Lionel
08-23-2018, 10:47 PM
Today I feel sad to not have my Marcelo anymore but happy that I interacted with him and bought it from him directly. I remember talking to him about the bike, sent him 4 or 5 numbers, the next day a drawing comes out with the perfect contact points. He was a master.

Duende
08-23-2018, 11:23 PM
Just seeing this. So bummed. He was truly an inspiration on how to live life to its fullest. And never let the one’s ego get the best of you...

I had hoped to visit his shop and personally order a frame.

What a loss

Kirk007
08-24-2018, 12:13 AM
God speed Dario. I had thought of getting to Verona to say hello on this trip but that didn't work out. Riding in Italy this next week will be poignant; perhaps over indulging in pasta and wine is in order. Glasses will be raised.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180824/15e83b6ff0482884fb4d59c5d57021b1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180824/100fc1beafeaa609de885df80fff3307.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180824/44f7efcdc4282a10cde5160b95c0a6ff.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

martl
08-24-2018, 03:59 AM
https://fotos.rennrad-news.de/f/gc/1c/gc1cgsx20wqg/large_Pego_Rahmenf001.jpg?0 (https://fotos.rennrad-news.de/p/341127)

https://fotos.rennrad-news.de/f3/4/465/465878-la17bjhkhuxz-dario_100-large.jpg (https://fotos.rennrad-news.de/p/465878)

https://fotos.rennrad-news.de/f3/4/465/465879-indv8vcmmvqj-dario_101-large.jpg (https://fotos.rennrad-news.de/p/465879)

Ciao, amico.

tuscanyswe
08-24-2018, 04:11 AM
I passed a dark blue peg this morning. Its beautiful its my size and i would love to own this or similar art object from the man.

Rip Dario you and your work will be remembered by a lot of ppl for a long time!

Jef58
08-24-2018, 05:02 AM
Damn that's a beautiful Peg.

Your Peg is as good as it gets. It's my size too... Perfect lines for a small bike.
RIP...sad day for cycling.

soulspinner
08-24-2018, 05:24 AM
Wow. Thanks Climb for sharing insight into the man. Gonna go ride this morning before work.

Hilltopperny
08-24-2018, 05:39 AM
I can’t believe I missed this. What a great loss for not just the cycling community, but the world. I never got to meet the man, but I did own 3 of his bikes.

RIP to the Master. He left a massive legacy behind.

Tickdoc
08-24-2018, 06:30 AM
old film, but so good.
https://youtu.be/0MQF1nadGRg

merckx
08-24-2018, 06:33 AM
Keep the torch lit.

And another one missed.

soulspinner
08-24-2018, 06:50 AM
old film, but so good.
https://youtu.be/0MQF1nadGRg

Now I want one in catch the spider due to this film. RIP Dario. Thanks for this Tickdoc.

AngryScientist
08-24-2018, 06:55 AM
going to pull my peg-o out of the rafters this weekend and give it a ride in honor of the man.

wgp
08-24-2018, 06:59 AM
Keep the torch lit.

And another one missed.

Lovely photos, thanks Merckx!

Just purchased Mistremo’s Marcelo last week, and have been reading through the Peg threads here and at VSalon in anticipation of receiving the bike. What passion from and for this man detailed throughout these various threads ...

Birddog
08-24-2018, 07:15 AM
Very sad news indeed. Dario was one of a kind for sure and I'm proud to own a piece of his art, it's my favorite bike.

pjbaz
08-24-2018, 07:19 AM
I can’t believe I missed this. What a great loss for not just the cycling community, but the world. I never got to meet the man, but I did own 3 of his bikes.

RIP to the Master. He left a massive legacy behind.

And you passed one to me that gets ridden on the reg. A cherished addition to my stable that will remain for a long time. Thank you for sharing his masterpiece.

redir
08-24-2018, 07:21 AM
He was a big Zappa fan too.

I've always lusted over Peg's. What a legacy, Indurain, Pantani, Cipollini among others road Peg's. Even Robin Williams rode one.

texbike
08-24-2018, 08:13 AM
Dario brought a depth of class, culture and style to cycling that it never had before. No one and nothing follows his lead.
He loved art. He brought to cycling such an intense amount of visual arts influence like it is not even possible. Dario is inimitable.
Also a true gentleman.

Wow! I hadn't been on the forum for a number of days. So sorry to log on and see this news. :( Colker's comments above really sums it up for me. I've had two of Dario's bikes and loved each one of them. I had one of them out for a 50 mile ride a few weekends back after not being on it for close to six months. The ride reminded how great his creations are. However, more than his bikes, it was his approach to life and his perspective that I really appreciated. As someone else put it in this thread - "Very Italian". We should all be so fortunate to live in the manner that he did.

Godspeed Dario. I hope to share another Shiner with you on the other side.

Texbike

choke
08-24-2018, 08:33 AM
I've posted this before but it's one of my favorite posts ever....and speaks volumes for the man IMO.

Across the hall several years ago someone posted a pic of their Peg with flat bars. It garnered a lot of criticism....."sacrilege", "put drop bars on that", etc. Then Dario added his 2¢....

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697946626&stc=1&d=1506550017

Corso
08-24-2018, 09:33 AM
I've posted this before but it's one of my favorite posts ever....and speaks volumes for the man IMO.

Across the hall several years ago someone posted a pic of their Peg with flat bars. It garnered a lot of criticism....."sacrilege", "put drop bars on that", etc. Then Dario added his 2¢....

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697946626&stc=1&d=1506550017

Classic. Godspeed Dario.

R3awak3n
08-24-2018, 09:49 AM
I have always loved that post too. what a guy

sailorboy
08-24-2018, 02:36 PM

Hard to watch that and not get a bit emotional today. The red balloon is flying free now. His influence will stay with us for a very long time I think.

Never
08-24-2018, 03:21 PM
If anyone will be in the area of Verona next week, Dario Pegoretti's funeral service will occur on Tuesday, August 28 at 10:00 at the Church of San Martino di Negrar (where he most recently lived) very near to Verona.

Sempreboni, 6, Via Don Angelo Fasoli, 37024 Negrar (VR), Italy.
Tel. +39 (045) 750 0060.

ojingoh
08-24-2018, 03:24 PM
Classic. Godspeed Dario.

I remember that thread. He and his work were unapologetically elegant and truthful.

RIP and thanks for the bike, maestro.

Keith A
08-24-2018, 03:47 PM
Thanks to all who have shared their stories and pictures of Dario!

BTW, he was a member of our forum and his user name was "round". Here's a link to his posts for anyone that would like to read them...
https://forums.thepaceline.net/search.php?searchid=3863404

ERK55
08-24-2018, 04:26 PM
I feel for Dario's son.
Also for the small group of guys working with him in the recently opened shop... I imagine they feel lost.

cgolvin
08-24-2018, 04:33 PM
https://forums.thepaceline.net/search.php?searchid=3863404[/url]

Thanks Keith; unfortunately that link returns a "no results" page for me.

fiamme red
08-24-2018, 04:35 PM
Thanks Keith; unfortunately that link returns a "no results" page for me.Here's the correct link to Dario's posts here: https://forums.thepaceline.net/search.php?searchid=3863519.

MrDangerPants
08-24-2018, 05:13 PM
Nice recent article from the Watch Journal: The Cult of Dario Pegoretti. (https://watchjournal.com/the-cult-of-dario-pegoretti/)

https://78.media.tumblr.com/dccad011bfb8ced8bb9708f990fdbd48/tumblr_pdzkbvT4op1x7ojhxo1_1280.jpg

I briefly met Dario at the 2011 NAHBS. Just a simple hello. I believe he was honored that year as there was an outdoor video event I attended. Possibly the Rapha video.

Climb01742
08-24-2018, 06:33 PM
I want to thank you all for being here. Since Craig (Jerk) moved west, no one I know knew Dario or would understand what he meant to cyclists. The last 24 hours have been hard processing Dario’s passing. Coming here with folks who understand has helped. Thanks.

jimcav
08-24-2018, 06:34 PM
My brief trial of racing was on a Marcelo, so owe him for many good memories on that bike (and the respo I was able to get a few years later). Loved the steel ride he created and only sold for financial reasons. I almost went to Italy with a friend to ride and see his shop--some bucket list items are best not delayed. Wishing strength to those family and friends who are left without him.

rwsaunders
08-24-2018, 07:23 PM
one of my favorite quotes of his when asked to comment about non-setback seatposts..."My eyes refuse to watch them, maybe I'm too old?" Dario Pegoretti

SoCal Al
08-24-2018, 07:26 PM

Hard to watch that and not get a bit emotional today. The red balloon is flying free now. His influence will stay with us for a very long time I think.

Dude, now that is an EPIC slice of a life well-lived. I never knew him but jay-zus after watching that i can't help but feel connected to the guy and his work/ Probably a PITA to work for but still...

Polyglot
08-24-2018, 08:31 PM
I was able to spend quite a bit of quality time with Dario. I shadowed him on a few occasions as his personal interpreter. I accompanied him to a number of press interviews, including a TV interview in Greensboro NC. I visited him in Verona and met up with him at a few airports as he or I were flying through. At times, one would simply call the other up out of the blue, to simply talk about inanities or what was happening that day. Even my wife and daughter got to know him. Neither has any particular interest in bikes, but they both loved spending time with him.

Dario was before all else a friend. He made me as well as all others that he knew feel as if we were each individually his "best" friend. He was a curious man, he was eclectic, he was generous, he was an extrovert, however without any arrogance. All the video clips in the world will however miss part of his life. It has been mentioned that he was a true Italian. To me he was not Italian, he was Veneto! To understand the difference, you need to have lived in Italy, in the Veneto and understand both Italian and Veneto. The Veneto ran deep in his veins and through every bone.

I have the bike that Dario painted for me hanging in my garage, right above the hood of my car staring straight at me when the car is parked. I will admit to having shed a tear or two as I parked my car yesterday and today.

weisan
08-24-2018, 08:38 PM
take care poly pal, thanks for sharing that.

weisan
08-24-2018, 08:56 PM
I have the bike that Dario painted for me hanging in my garage

Poly pal, I hope you don't mind...I was going back and read some of the old pegoretti-related posts, I was reminded of this beautiful story that you told of how this particular frame came about.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1934490&postcount=43

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697916968&stc=1&d=1458505819

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697916969&stc=1&d=1458506047

seanile
08-24-2018, 10:04 PM
i am very surprised with myself.
i just ordered a 58cm Marcelo in Mesonperso from bikyle, because i now believe the passion that everyone feels for this man and his art is not for naught...
and i would like to experience it while i can. shame this is how i came to this mentality.
it is not an expense that i can necessarily "afford" (willingly), but after watching the rapha video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MQF1nadGRg) about him, i admire the man and his spirit a great deal, and want to understand him a little more closely, a little more intimately than just through others' words and writing.

Burnette
08-24-2018, 10:04 PM
I just wanted to post that this and the other thread about Dario in this forum is about as good as a tribute as he could ask for.

It's cyclist touched by him and his work sharing about time spent with him, articles and videos and cyclists here who have and appreciate examples of his work.

It reflects well on Dario and it does so just as well on the people who contributed to the two thread here, I have enjoyed reading you all and I have a greater appreciation and understanding of Dario because of it.

thwart
08-24-2018, 10:18 PM
Another magazine story about Dario. Interesting, it compares him a bit to a benign version of Colonel Kurtz in Apocalypse Now.

https://pelotonmagazine.com/features/the-legend-of-dario-pegoretti/

pjbaz
08-25-2018, 04:21 PM
I just wanted to post that this and the other thread about Dario in this forum is about as good as a tribute as he could ask for.

It's cyclist touched by him and his work sharing about time spent with him, articles and videos and cyclists here who have and appreciate examples of his work.

It reflects well on Dario and it does so just as well on the people who contributed to the two thread here, I have enjoyed reading you all and I have a greater appreciation and understanding of Dario because of it.

Also, check the FB Page - Pegoretti Fans and Owners. Many of us have been posting tribute pics

pjbaz
08-25-2018, 04:26 PM
i am very surprised with myself.
i just ordered a 58cm Marcelo in Mesonperso from bikyle, because i now believe the passion that everyone feels for this man and his art is not for naught...
and i would like to experience it while i can. shame this is how i came to this mentality.
it is not an expense that i can necessarily "afford" (willingly), but after watching the rapha video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MQF1nadGRg) about him, i admire the man and his spirit a great deal, and want to understand him a little more closely, a little more intimately than just through others' words and writing.

I understand your lament. I worked my ass off for more than 4 years to find one I could afford in my size, and now I own 2. I always said I wanted one before he stopped making them, and truly hoped to be able to get a Ciavete made and painted especially for me. Sadly, I never thought it would be so soon, but I'm glad to own and flog his bikes on a regular basis. These machines are truly wonderful and made to be ridden.

Put aside your concerns and ride that Mxxxxxo. Ride and enjoy it. You will not regret it, and Dario would want it no other way.

seanile
08-25-2018, 05:36 PM
I understand your lament. I worked my ass off for more than 4 years to find one I could afford in my size, and now I own 2. I always said I wanted one before he stopped making them, and truly hoped to be able to get a Ciavete made and painted especially for me. Sadly, I never thought it would be so soon, but I'm glad to own and flog his bikes on a regular basis. These machines are truly wonderful and made to be ridden.

Put aside your concerns and ride that Mxxxxxo. Ride and enjoy it. You will not regret it, and Dario would want it no other way.
thank you for your input! i ended up going to a local shop that i learned today was a dealer, and bought one from them. i was apprehensive that bikyle wouldn't be able to fulfill the order given the freeze the distributor has put on the frames they have in stock. i ended up getting a 2014 Duende Somebody from the shop. the employees were glad to see someone interested in the frames / sad to hear the news.
now to dress it up over the winter and have some fun with it. glad to hear you're enjoying yours.
:beer:

shinomaster
08-25-2018, 06:19 PM
It's truly bizarre to me, that I found this 2008 Pegoretti catalog in my basement the night before I heard he died. I had decided to keep it as it was such a beautifully designed catalog.

Dazza
08-26-2018, 07:51 PM
“Watch the pros on TV the way they pedal. Probably I am an old man, but this is my opinion. I think it is more important to have a good position and learn to ride the bike correctly, than to have the latest carbon frame.”

“There is a reason to build a frame a certain shape, not just a question to follow the market-not just for money. I think it is stupid just to follow the market…
It is more fun to make the market’
It is really hard of course”

"Marketing cannot invent Passion"

“A bicycle is not a sofa”

Dario Pegoretti

I find it hard to ponder, that no longer a phone or email chat, or catching up at a bike show.
Ciao Dario

ERK55
08-26-2018, 08:55 PM
Thanks for that Dazza.
Condolensces. I know you collaborated with Dario.

OtayBW
08-26-2018, 09:19 PM
^^ HAR! I think I have a new signature line...:banana:

54ny77
08-26-2018, 10:54 PM
Years ago, the first time I ever saw a Pegoretti (becoming aware of them via online photos), I did not like the paint jobs.

Then I saw a few in person. My appreciation changed 180. Rolling art.

RIP to a true craftsman and artisan in every sense of the word. :cool:

cachagua
08-27-2018, 01:35 AM
And ride
Like a cowboy
Into the dawn
To Montana.

Black Dog
08-27-2018, 06:16 AM
A life well lived that should be celebrated in equal measure along with the mourning of its loss. It seems that the bike part of Dario's life may continue.

I just want to set the record straight on some of the speculation.

Dario Pegoretti Cicli was a team of 4, unfortunately, they are now a man down.

Pietro, Gianmaria and Andrea are the 3 remaining and I can assure you they are very serious about continuing the work (and a collaboration with DeAnima is extremely unlikely in my opinion!) I should also mention Andrea Pegoretti, Dario’s son. Andrea has become more involved in the company in the last few years and this will continue.

Pietro (Pero) has been with Dario for many years - since the Caldonazzo days. For a long time they were a double act and I know Dario had total faith and trust in Perro and considered him not only a great frame builder but also a great friend.

Gianmaria and Andrea joined the team when Dario moved the workshop to Verona a few years ago - Gianmaria on the frame building side and Andrea in the paint shop.

If any of you bought a Pego in the last 3 years or so it is the work of these guys - if you have Ciavete paint, Dario, of course, worked on that, if you have a Luigino or Day is Done Dario probably did some brazing work on that.

Dario’s contribution to what went on in the workshop should never be underestimated. He simply had so much other stuff to get on with - running the business, designing and refining the processes, the tubes, the frame parts, the Falz fork for instance, not to mention the graphics and paint.

After we all say our final farewell to Dario on Tuesday, Pero, Gian and Andrea will be back in the shop working on your frames - they have work in progress and a full order book and a strong sense of responsibility and loyalty to both the customers and the old man.

Some things will not be the same as before but the standard of work and the quality will remain. Once everything settles down I’m sure the innovation will continue and I’ve already heard rumours about possible future collaborations!

David Kirk
08-27-2018, 09:52 AM
A few days have passed since the passing of Dario Pegoretti and the shock of it has faded only to be replaced by the sad reality of his being gone forever. A few years back a gentleman commissioned me to build a fillet brazed bike for him after he approached Dario for one. Dario told him he should contact me for a fillet bike but that he'd enjoy painting it for him. This was the first bike of mine that Dario painted. In the wake of this the client and I formed our own little two-man Dario fan club who admired his work and the way he lived his life.

Two days ago this client sent me a poem that Dario and his passing brought to mind and with his permission I share it with you below.

------------------

MY SOUL HAS A HAT

I counted my years
& realized that I have
Less time to live by,
Than I have lived so far.

I feel like a child who won a pack of candies: at first he ate them with pleasure
But when he realized that there was little left, he began to taste them intensely.

I have no time for endless meetings
where the statutes, rules, procedures & internal regulations are discussed,
knowing that nothing will be done.

I no longer have the patience
To stand absurd people who,
despite their chronological age,
have not grown up.

My time is too short:
I want the essence,
my spirit is in a hurry.
I do not have much candy
In the package anymore.

I want to live next to humans,
very realistic people who know
How to laugh at their mistakes,
Who are not inflated by their own triumphs
& who take responsibility for their actions.
In this way, human dignity is defended
and we live in truth and honesty.

It is the essentials that make life useful.
I want to surround myself with people
who know how to touch the hearts of those whom hard strokes of life
have learned to grow with sweet touches of the soul.

Yes, I'm in a hurry.
I'm in a hurry to live with the intensity that only maturity can give.
I do not intend to waste any of the remaining desserts.

I am sure they will be exquisite,
much more than those eaten so far.
My goal is to reach the end satisfied
and at peace with my loved ones and my conscience.

We have two lives
& the second begins when you realize you only have one.

poem by Mario de Andrade
San Paolo 1893-1945

dave

merlincustom1
08-27-2018, 09:58 AM
I sent a message to an eBay seller trying to move an 8:30am for 10K after Dario died, voicing my displeasure in the attempted gouge. Here’s the response:

colker
08-27-2018, 09:59 AM
A few days have passed since the passing of Dario Pegoretti and the shock of it has faded only to be replaced by the sad reality of his being gone forever. A few years back a gentleman commissioned me to build a fillet brazed bike for him after he approached Dario for one. Dario told him he should contact me for a fillet bike but that he'd enjoy painting it for him. This was the first bike of mine that Dario painted. In the wake of this the client and I formed our own little two-man Dario fan club who admired his work and the way he lived his life.

Two days ago this client sent me a poem that Dario and his passing brought to mind and with his permission I share it with you below.

------------------

MY SOUL HAS A HAT

I counted my years
& realized that I have
Less time to live by,

I feel like a child who won a pack of candies: at first he ate them with pleasure
But when he realized that there was little left, he began to taste them intensely.

have not grown up.

My time is too short:
I want the essence,
my spirit is in a hurry.
I do not have much candy
In the package anymore.

Yes, I'm in a hurry.

We have two lives

poem by Mario de Andrade
San Paolo 1893-1945

dave

Mario de Andrade. Brazilian writer.

Climb01742
08-27-2018, 10:06 AM
Thanks, Dave. Those last two lines...

'We have two lives
& the second begins when you realize you only have one.'

David Kirk
08-27-2018, 10:30 AM

'We have two lives

I know....that line gets me every time I read it. It's beyond clever and insightful and it rings so true with me so strongly at this point of my life.

dave

Climb01742
08-27-2018, 10:47 AM
I know....that line gets me every time I read it. It's beyond clever and insightful and it rings so true with me so strongly at this point of my life.

dave

Me too. Some thoughts you read, they pass only momentarily through your mind, then they stick right in your heart.

weisan
08-27-2018, 11:07 AM
Dario and I are kindred spirit.

I wouldn't spend any more time digging up "offenses" you think others are committing against him either here or on eBay. I know Dario won't. Every minute spent there, is every minute lost and reveal yet again, we don't quite understand the man.

drewski
08-27-2018, 12:26 PM
------------------

MY SOUL HAS A HAT

Great poem Dave. My take is this is a challenge to decide with intentionality how to show up in the world: Show up with intense grace and humility, passion.

The poem my William Stafford " the little ways that encourage good fortune" seems to be in the same vein to me.

51. THE LITTLE WAYS THAT ENCOURAGE GOOD FORTUNE - William Stafford

Wisdom is having things right in your life
and knowing why.
If you do not have things right in your life
you will be overwhelmed:
you may be heroic, but you will not be wise.
If you have things right in your life
but do not know why,
you are just lucky, and you will not move
in the little ways that encourage good fortune.

The saddest are those not right in their lives
who are acting to make things right for others:
they act only from the self--
and that self will never be right:
no luck, no help, no wisdom.

Peace,
Andrew

AngryScientist
08-27-2018, 12:26 PM
I do not have much candy
In the package anymore.

Dave, thanks for posting this. Very nice tribute.

as a self confessed candy addict the above reverberates with me. that feeling of "this is over" when there is just a starburst or two left in the foil.

what a great thread.

paredown
08-27-2018, 12:27 PM

'We have two lives

Yep.

It takes getting old to truly appreciate that one.

A bit like the end of Tennyson's Ulysses:

Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Keith A
08-27-2018, 01:20 PM
Not sure if this has been posted, but here are some tributes to Dario...
http://www.bikyle.com/Pegoretti_tributes.htm

Polyglot
08-27-2018, 01:35 PM
Last year, Stephen Bilenky, organizer of the Philly Bike Expo made some space available for a tribute to Brian Baylis when he passed away. I have been speaking to him of doing the same this year for Dario. The show takes place on October 27th and 28th. I have volunteered to help curate a display of Dario items, so please private message me with your suggestions, especially if you have some special items that you could make available.

tv_vt
08-27-2018, 02:11 PM

'We have two lives

Agree. I think of my wife and her cancer a decade ago.

And those first few lines reminds me of why I retired this spring...

texbike
08-27-2018, 02:47 PM
I was able to spend quite a bit of quality time with Dario. I shadowed him on a few occasions as his personal interpreter. I accompanied him to a number of press interviews, including a TV interview in Greensboro NC. I visited him in Verona and met up with him at a few airports as he or I were flying through. At times, one would simply call the other up out of the blue, to simply talk about inanities or what was happening that day. Even my wife and daughter got to know him. Neither has any particular interest in bikes, but they both loved spending time with him.

Dario was before all else a friend. He made me as well as all others that he knew feel as if we were each individually his "best" friend. He was a curious man, he was eclectic, he was generous, he was an extrovert, however without any arrogance. All the video clips in the world will however miss part of his life. It has been mentioned that he was a true Italian. To me he was not Italian, he was Veneto! To understand the difference, you need to have lived in Italy, in the Veneto and understand both Italian and Veneto. The Veneto ran deep in his veins and through every bone.

I have the bike that Dario painted for me hanging in my garage, right above the hood of my car staring straight at me when the car is parked. I will admit to having shed a tear or two as I parked my car yesterday and today.

Thanks for pointing out that nuance. Like being a Texan... ;)

Texbike

pincopallinobis
08-28-2018, 03:00 AM
Maybe they are singing this today, or maybe even he is, now with the other angels.

"Ama e ridi se amor risponde
piangi forte se non ti sente
dai diamanti non nasce niente
dal letame nascono i fior
dai diamanti non nasce niente
dal letame nascono i fior."

"Love and laugh if love answers
cry loud if she does not hear you
from diamonds nothing is born
from manure the flowers are born
from diamonds nothing is born
from manure the flowers are born."

This was a sort of credo, maybe even painted on some frames.

Dazza
08-28-2018, 04:35 PM
My phone rings, an English speaking but heavily accented Italian is on the phone.
Who the heck could this be ? I am in the Australian Cycling Team workshop in an old industrial building near Varese in Northern Italy towards the end of a 3 month team mechanic stint, preparing equipment for the 2009 World Championships.
“Dazza, when are you coming to visit?”
I ask who is this ?
“It is Dario”
Dario who? Heck, out of the blue an Italian is ringing me, the first thing that I am thinking, have I forgotten to collect something, perhaps one of team vans at the garage or ????
“Pegoretti, when are you coming to visit……………..”
Then, finally all starts to become clear in my dim cranium. After 5mins of phone chat I promise to visit Dario Pegoretti after the World Championships are done and dusted and my work with the Aussie U23 team is completed.
Cadel wins the big one, Jack wins the U23 time trail, we Aussies were pretty happy. Mary Ann and I have a couple of weeks holiday after and in our travels we book into a hotel in Dario’s workshop town of Caldanozza.
After breakfast Dario comes, he takes us to his workshop in the morning. Dario askes me about my new lug project I am thinking of completing when I get home. It is 10.30am and a bottle of fine wine comes out! I am working on an OS tube lug set, Dario wants one for XL tubes (double over size) like my previous 2004 Crescendo lug set but he wanted it with a level top tube. The wine lubricates me (no doubt, his intention) we discuss and I am now working on two lug projects. Mary Ann recognised the moment and she got up from the table to capture it, hence why there are three glasses on the table.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1881/43425821175_10fdc05caf_b.jpg

Then it was lunch and then dinner …………………………………. and much laughter and many stories. So began the Cadenzia lug and Columbus XCr for Lugs tube collaboration with Dario and myself. I am extremely flattered and honoured to have been invited and encouraged into such a collaboration by such a highly recognised frame maker. This is beyond my visions could have ever comprehended as a 16 yo lad when I started on the frame making journeymany years before. When one was a bit worn down by work, circumstances, Dario always had an encouraging message via the phone or email.
construction and painting reputation, however I gained a little insight of how much he assisted many people outside and inside the bike industry. He gave a lot of assistance for many who were having a rough journey in life. There was a lot more to Dario than just his marvellous bikes. He was kind, caring and thoughtful.
I am extremely fortunate to have had a wee bit of time with Dario and Mary Ann and I will always have fond memories of our time. I will always remember his grin.
We have lost a good man. We have a lost a friend. We will miss you but we will always have good stories to recount about you with our friends. I am sure this is how Dario would want it to be like now that he has gone.
Dario, we are better for having known you, we are better for having you giving us your time, attention and encouragement.

Dario, may your files always be sharp, may your weld puddle be perfect and your braze flow sweetly and the vino and formaggio be always close by. R.I.P

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1850/44330988151_b6bbb4e714_b.jpg

Climb01742
08-28-2018, 04:43 PM
Dazza, thank you for sharing that.

bob heinatz
08-28-2018, 04:54 PM
Thanks Dazza.

pincopallinobis
08-28-2018, 05:15 PM
My phone rings....

Bravo. That is beautiful and elegant and humorous too. Two very nice minds interacting and focused.

The rapporto and the exchange between the both of you in the first photo feels very visceral and real, honest and direct, even on this distant screen.

Thank you for sharing this, very nice moment and memory of your friendship and respect.

sailorboy
08-28-2018, 05:46 PM
Cheers Dazza. Thank you so much for sharing that little view inside your collabo with the Maestro, and for your own contributions and innovations over the years. Folks like you and Dario and so many others, collectively paint on the big canvas of handmade bikes that keeps providing this sport/hobby/whatever some meaning for a lot of us.

54ny77
08-28-2018, 11:00 PM
Bookmarked and saved. Beautiful. Pls thank the author for sharing with us.

------------------

MY SOUL HAS A HAT

I counted my years
& realized that I have
Less time to live by,

have not grown up.

My time is too short:
I want the essence,
my spirit is in a hurry.
I do not have much candy
In the package anymore.

Yes, I'm in a hurry.

We have two lives

poem by Mario de Andrade
San Paolo 1893-1945

dave

pdmtong
08-29-2018, 12:22 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180829/7c95d3b23288d4f9d37221451255aaa5.jpg

pdmtong
08-29-2018, 12:26 AM
My phone rings, an English speaking but heavily accented Italian is on the phone.

Who the heck could this be ? I am in the Australian Cycling Team workshop in an old industrial building near Varese in Northern Italy towards the end of a 3 month team mechanic stint, preparing equipment for the 2009 World Championships.

“Dazza, when are you coming to visit?”

I ask who is this ?

“It is Dario”

Dario who? Heck, out of the blue an Italian is ringing me, the first thing that I am thinking, have I forgotten to collect something, perhaps one of team vans at the garage or ????

“Pegoretti, when are you coming to visit……………..”

Then, finally all starts to become clear in my dim cranium. After 5mins of phone chat I promise to visit Dario Pegoretti after the World Championships are done and dusted and my work with the Aussie U23 team is completed.

Cadel wins the big one, Jack wins the U23 time trail, we Aussies were pretty happy. Mary Ann and I have a couple of weeks holiday after and in our travels we book into a hotel in Dario’s workshop town of Caldanozza.

After breakfast Dario comes, he takes us to his workshop in the morning. Dario askes me about my new lug project I am thinking of completing when I get home. It is 10.30am and a bottle of fine wine comes out! I am working on an OS tube lug set, Dario wants one for XL tubes (double over size) like my previous 2004 Crescendo lug set but he wanted it with a level top tube. The wine lubricates me (no doubt, his intention) we discuss and I am now working on two lug projects. Mary Ann recognised the moment and she got up from the table to capture it, hence why there are three glasses on the table.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1881/43425821175_10fdc05caf_b.jpg

Then it was lunch and then dinner …………………………………. and much laughter and many stories. So began the Cadenzia lug and Columbus XCr for Lugs tube collaboration with Dario and myself. I am extremely flattered and honoured to have been invited and encouraged into such a collaboration by such a highly recognised frame maker. This is beyond my visions could have ever comprehended as a 16 yo lad when I started on the frame making journeymany years before. When one was a bit worn down by work, circumstances, Dario always had an encouraging message via the phone or email.

construction and painting reputation, however I gained a little insight of how much he assisted many people outside and inside the bike industry. He gave a lot of assistance for many who were having a rough journey in life. There was a lot more to Dario than just his marvellous bikes. He was kind, caring and thoughtful.

I am extremely fortunate to have had a wee bit of time with Dario and Mary Ann and I will always have fond memories of our time. I will always remember his grin.

We have lost a good man. We have a lost a friend. We will miss you but we will always have good stories to recount about you with our friends. I am sure this is how Dario would want it to be like now that he has gone.

Dario, we are better for having known you, we are better for having you giving us your time, attention and encouragement.

Dario, may your files always be sharp, may your weld puddle be perfect and your braze flow sweetly and the vino and formaggio be always close by. R.I.P

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1850/44330988151_b6bbb4e714_b.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180829/734473984892b89c25b16332e089a5d9.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180829/75ce88c4bfc4780d192056a3af9b764a.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180829/ff1eb76745ac9cd47e6b93c1522b2e71.jpg

pdmtong
08-29-2018, 12:29 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180829/fb0d9bca63a1ca9d1fd3316ef305203a.jpg

pdmtong
08-29-2018, 12:32 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171120/e090fb4b43e03980f5f69b1319bb5afc.jpg

weisan
08-29-2018, 05:16 AM
This felt like a lifetime ago. Hard to believe it's been 12 years. The first time I rode a Pegoretti. I was just a kid.

http://alicehui.com/serotta/FLRambler06/1.jpg

It was dbrk's beautiful Luigino.

http://alicehui.com/serotta/FLRambler06/5.jpg

I didn't care that it was 2 or 3 sizes too big for me. I just want to get a taste of this Italian wine.

In my mind, Dario and Douglas are two of the same. Brotherly, wise and kind, full of heart. Oh gosh, I missed them!

https://www.tour-magazin.de/uploads/tx_saltnews/4b/4b8c70324a27bd10e362dcd71ee7989df0eec9ff.jpeg

Climb01742
08-29-2018, 06:53 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180829/7c95d3b23288d4f9d37221451255aaa5.jpg

Thanks for posting this. So much that’s great about this photo. He was the real deal.

choke
08-29-2018, 05:37 PM
There are a few tributes here, including the one from Dazza that's posted above. http://www.handbuiltbicyclenews.com/

The one by Daniel Merenyi is really good....

And he was a warrior in the internet forums. He saw himself as a sword-wielding guardian, which he would flourish and cut down over-sized egos. "Why do you do this?" I asked him more than once. He would usually mumble a response like, "Somebody has to tell them they are being stupid."

Our summers were spent with much wine and less productivity.

Jef58
08-29-2018, 05:41 PM
Another photo, from Cinelli's Facebook page.

pincopallinobis
08-29-2018, 07:24 PM
There are a few tributes here, including the one from Dazza that's posted above. http://www.handbuiltbicyclenews.com/

The one by Daniel Merenyi is really good....
And he was a warrior in the internet forums. He saw himself as a sword-wielding guardian, which he would flourish and cut down over-sized egos. "Why do you do this?" I asked him more than once. He would usually mumble a response like, "Somebody has to tell them they are being stupid."
The Merenyi tribute is very nice indeed, and the Nelson GITA one also, so thank you for the link to those.

The Pegoretti quote you highlighted is very true and apropos as well. Wonderful, direct honesty, and not fooled by any wool. The territories between true appreciation and superficial sycophantism must have been so annoying and fatiguing for him to have to navigate, so much of the time, but also so much part of "the deal". The responses were simple: cultivate and retain dignity, grace, humor, and then leave to others their own personal issues.

It always was clear that his heart was most content and at peace in the work itself rather than in any outside adulation, and that is yet another generous, humbling, wonderful lesson he offered.

Fiertetimestwo
08-29-2018, 07:26 PM
Thanks for posting this. So much that’s great about this photo. He was the real deal.

I agree- great photo. I love that he is riding a Milani. Who knows, he might have even made that frame himself.

pdmtong
08-29-2018, 11:42 PM

I rode my respo Sunday. And my rapha and fizik Italy kit. I don’t know why. Maybe to let him know he made a difference for me.

2010 ciavete. Yes. His hand on my frame.

bironi
08-30-2018, 12:02 AM
This felt like a lifetime ago. Hard to believe it's been 12 years. The first time I rode a Pegoretti. I was just a kid.

http://alicehui.com/serotta/FLRambler06/1.jpg

It was dbrk's beautiful Luigino.

http://alicehui.com/serotta/FLRambler06/5.jpg

I didn't care that it was 2 or 3 sizes too big for me. I just want to get a taste of this Italian wine.

In my mind, Dario and Douglas are two of the same. Brotherly, wise and kind, full of heart. Oh gosh, I missed them!

https://www.tour-magazin.de/uploads/tx_saltnews/4b/4b8c70324a27bd10e362dcd71ee7989df0eec9ff.jpeg

love that last pic.

Jeff N.
08-30-2018, 08:31 AM
https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/attachments/f2/109191d1535052338-dario-gone-screen-shot-2018-08-23-12-24-47-pm-png

Dario had a heart attack.
Heavy smoker, or so I'd been told. RIP, Sir.

roguedog
08-30-2018, 09:27 AM
Thank you, David, for that poem. This thread is lovely and speaks to the class of this forum.

jt2gt
08-30-2018, 09:53 AM
Here's my primary ride. Had the pleasure of talking to Dario in preparation for an Italy trip, but he was too far from my destination to work out a trip to see him. He was very welcoming and always regretted not making it up to him.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697961207&stc=1&d=1527775575

pdmtong
08-31-2018, 12:15 AM
Heavy smoker, or so I'd been told. RIP, Sir.

yes, true. cancer + smoking , well . . . .

smoking is an addiction. it is very very hard to break that addiction. My FIL passed way too early because he was unable to stop.

there is a lesson in that. but we in the usa know already since the surgeon general has warned us for decades.

regional and cultural.

Clean39T
08-31-2018, 12:33 AM
http://redkiteprayer.com/2018/08/the-pull-dario-pegoretti/

Haven't listened to this yet, but I imagine it's going to be quite good.

Jeff N.
08-31-2018, 07:51 AM

smoking is an addiction. it is very very hard to break that addiction. My FIL passed way too early because he was unable to stop.

there is a lesson in that. but we in the usa know already since the surgeon general has warned us for decades.

regional and cultural.My sister went to Rome a few years back. She said EVERYBODY in Italy smoked, it seemed. Young and old, everywhere you looked.

Shoeman
08-31-2018, 08:08 AM

regional and cultural.
Trust me I know, major Heart Attack in 2006. I had my bladder removed due to cancer in 2017 all from smoking. I'm fortunate to be alive at this point.

OtayBW
08-31-2018, 10:16 AM
Out of deference to the thread title and Dario, I here remove my previous comments.
Thx.

colker
08-31-2018, 10:21 AM
Wow! You must have really deeply inhaled! :rolleyes:

Note to self: never disclose medical history here.

FlashUNC
08-31-2018, 10:30 AM
Wow! You must have really deeply inhaled! :rolleyes:

Well that's pretty callous.

OtayBW
08-31-2018, 10:46 AM
Well that's pretty callous.
I'm really sorry you feel that way. I offered it as a light-hearted comment.

FlashUNC
08-31-2018, 10:50 AM
I'm really sorry you feel that way. I offered it as a light-hearted comment.

https://media.giphy.com/media/TJPQBOfPGpgmQ/giphy.gif

OtayBW
08-31-2018, 10:59 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/TJPQBOfPGpgmQ/giphy.gif
Har! So clever! Funny!

William
08-31-2018, 11:01 AM
Look at the title of the thread and please keep it cordial and on point.

William

Never
08-31-2018, 05:37 PM
From a very kind and wonderful young boy, a beautiful drawing xDario:

[

Edit:
Deleted, not worth it, here in this place. The drawing and thoughts were more real and honest than these things by those who repeat their "love and respect" for someone but seem really to desire only to be seen as sort of “champion mvp” or other of that person's life and then even their death too. Why? It is so really strange, disgusting actually, cheap, not dignified; is neither true love nor any real respect; is not even basic understanding really. Even a child knows better. /

Jeff N.
08-31-2018, 07:50 PM
[

Polyglot
09-01-2018, 12:20 PM
I sent quite a few customers over the years to the Pegoretti shop in Italy. Of all the people that I sent, I cannot recall a single one that was not fully satisfied with the result. Many if not most even became repeat customers. They all came back with glowing praise for Dario, and just as importantly for all of his co-workers. The co-workers weren't simply 9-5 employees but rather co-equal partners with Dario, this was in particular the case of Pietro who worked alongside Dario for over a decade. He was just as capable as Dario to size up a customer and just as capable with the torch. I truly hope that Pietro will continue producing bikes, perhaps even with the Pegoretti name. I know that Dario would have wanted that. As most of Dario's friends know, Dario had been thinking about retiring for quite some time, but every time his thoughts would wander towards retirement, his thought would return to his co-workers.

The model frames that Pegoretti as a company built are all mature models and there is nothing that would prevent Pietro and his other two co-workers from continuing onwards. The bikes would be the same identical bikes that have been built until now, even the custom made ones could continue as Pietro was just as capable to size up the needs of customer. The only thing missing would be the "Ciavete" option and some technical input when developing new ideas. Dario's "Ciavete" paint came exclusively from Dario's personal imagination and inspiration, so that will be impossible to replace.

Two and a half years back, Dario painted my then new Crumpton. It was a collaborative work between Dario and Nick and took over a year from the first discussion until completion. It might be the only carbon frame that Dario ever painted. In my highly biased point of view, it is one of the nicest paint jobs he ever did. When I went to Verona to pick it up in person, Dario and I spoke about him building me a new "Pegoretti" frame. This was not all that long after his move from Caldonazzo to Verona, and the move had put him behind schedule. Dario said that it would be best that I wait, to give him a better chance to catch up a bit on his waiting list. His reasoning was that I already had a great bike and he had an obligation to his other customers. We talked about the frame a few more times in the intervening years and agreed to talk about it in person the next time I came over to Italy. However, life happened and I never did get back to Italy. When/if I do next travel to the Verona area, and if Pietro were to continue building, I would be highly tempted to have him size me up for a new "Pegoretti". It would be great to see others also support Pietro if he feels up to continuing without Dario. Dario certainly would have wanted this!

Climb01742
09-01-2018, 01:06 PM
^^
Here, here. Well said.

pdmtong
09-02-2018, 10:53 PM
yes, out of the perhaps 3-4 dario paint on a non-peg, love the GGB and the nick

velotrack
09-08-2018, 06:18 PM
https://www.instagram.com/p/BnYrO8BBvG2/?taken-by=dariopegoretti

it appears the bikes will continue... keep your eyes peeled.

Boar
09-10-2018, 11:51 AM
When i feel sad I just remember this conversation, and the day is bright again.
Oh Lord! I miss you Dario.

My mxxxxxo ciavete after many miles collected some scratches so I sent it do Dario to solve the problem.
“Dario, while you are at it do you mind add the date of birth of my second born Rachele, since you originally put the date of the first born, I think it would be fare”
“No problem Boar!”
He handed me the frame at the Pegoraduno in june.
“Fabrizio.. everyone at the bottega hates you!! Do you know this was a sh###y job to do? It tooks many hours to get the job done without ruining the graphic belove!!!”
“Dario, sorry but you know I love to ride your bikes, even if they are a piece of art I don’t want to let it hanged to a wall! I USE them!!”
“You got me wrong Fabrizio!!
For f##k sake, Use condoms!!”

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180910/133a898ca2a42a685c070cf08835be4c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180910/c9e4e4f982743512db7fdcc6501c775f.jpg

tylercheung
09-10-2018, 12:04 PM
https://www.instagram.com/p/BnYrO8BBvG2/?taken-by=dariopegoretti

it appears the bikes will continue... keep your eyes peeled.

I hope so, reading through all this.

His shop put out a statement describing that Dario had set up the operation such that his team was welding and outputting most of the frames based on the specifications that he had set up.

I know much has been written here and the other thread about the "intangibles" - the non-quantifiable, non-mathematical skills he had with his eye for bike fit, frame design, art, etc.

But if he set up his operation such that a succession plan was devised, and the shop could run in the "hit-by-a-bus" scenario then the other stories about Dario being a shrewd businessman in the bike industry is also true.

jt2gt
09-10-2018, 12:07 PM
This is awesome...thanks for the quote. Killer ride too...I ride a smaller Marcelo and love it.

My mxxxxxo ciavete after many miles collected some scratches so I sent it do Dario to solve the problem.
“Dario, while you are at it do you mind add the date of birth of my second born Rachele, since you originally put the date of the first born, I think it would be fare”
“No problem Boar!”
“Fabrizio.. everyone at the bottega hates you!! Do you know this was a sh###y job to do? It tooks many hours to get the job done without ruining the graphic belove!!!”
“Dario, sorry but you know I love to ride your bikes, even if they are a piece of art I don’t want to let it hanged to a wall! I USE them!!”

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180910/133a898ca2a42a685c070cf08835be4c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180910/c9e4e4f982743512db7fdcc6501c775f.jpg

tylercheung
09-10-2018, 12:13 PM
Amen...

“No problem Boar!”

weaponsgrade
09-10-2018, 01:32 PM
Boar, LOL!, that's great. Beautiful shots too.

ashwa64
09-10-2018, 09:48 PM
pietro would be on a list of less than 10 builders i'd want a bike from; he was dario's unsung collaborator.

Polyglot
09-11-2018, 03:09 AM
I hope so, reading through all this.

His shop put out a statement describing that Dario had set up the operation such that his team was welding and outputting most of the frames based on the specifications that he had set up.

I know much has been written here and the other thread about the "intangibles" - the non-quantifiable, non-mathematical skills he had with his eye for bike fit, frame design, art, etc.

But if he set up his operation such that a succession plan was devised, and the shop could run in the "hit-by-a-bus" scenario then the other stories about Dario being a shrewd businessman in the bike industry is also true.

As I mentioned earlier, Dario's co-workers are capable of continuing with virtually all tasks without anybody being the wiser except for:

1) Ciavete paint jobs were exclusively from the fertile mind of Dario. They might be able to lure in some other artist to continue in a new artistic direction, that might be just as interesting but it will not be Pegoretti work. Regular paint jobs, using standard Pegoretti schemes were however always the majority.
2) Communication. Dario was unparalleled when it came to keeping in contact with people and schmoozing. It was one of his passions. This can perhaps be picked up by Dario's son or perhaps somebody else
3) Custom frames. As already mentioned, I believe that Pietro is now just as capable to size people up for custom frames as was Dario. This maturation process for Pietro has taken over a decade of work alongside Dario. So the geometry will be just as good as anything that Dario might have come up with. It will however lack the focus on the "whole" bike that Dario was able to offer with his paint.
4) Future development. Dario was incredibly knowledgeable about all aspects of frame building and his input in the development of all new models and components (lug design, fork design, etc) was fundamental. So t could be that any new developments might take a little longer and that new products might not be quite up to Dario's capabilities, but I am convinced that the product range is already very mature and that are not imminent needs for updating of the product range, so this is not overly important.

We should all support Pietro, and allow him to safeguard the legacy of Dario as he is now the guardian.

rounder
09-11-2018, 09:10 AM
I was reading the Post this morning and saw this. I know it is a little late to be in the obituaries, but it was a good tribute.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/dario-pegoretti-builder-of-bicycle-masterpieces-dies-at-62/2018/09/10/b964eaf0-b2b9-11e8-aed9-001309990777_story.html?utm_term=.6d5745620e2a

wgp
09-11-2018, 10:42 AM
Wow - nice obit! Thanks for sharing this rounder; I missed it on Sunday.

echappist
09-12-2018, 08:49 AM
I was reading the Post this morning and saw this. I know it is a little late to be in the obituaries, but it was a good tribute.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/dario-pegoretti-builder-of-bicycle-masterpieces-dies-at-62/2018/09/10/b964eaf0-b2b9-11e8-aed9-001309990777_story.html?utm_term=.6d5745620e2a

i just read that and was about ready to report back

you know you've "made it" when the WaPo writes an obit

tv_vt
09-12-2018, 10:43 AM
From what I can tell by looking at various retail websites, it seems that every Pegoretti frame currently in the US has been spoken for.

AngryScientist
08-23-2019, 09:11 AM
As Richard Sachs pointed out elsewhere, Dario has been gone a whole year already.

Hope he's out there enjoying that big Ciavete dreamworld in the sky!

Cheers Dario!

https://www.tuttobicitech.it/article/1535095040/photo-medium

jpritchet74
08-23-2019, 09:30 AM
I'll remember Dario's passing every year until I am gone since it's also my birthday. I was one of the guys that finally pulled the trigger on a Peg shortly after he passed - it was always out of my budget but my only regret was that I didn't pull out the credit card sooner.

RIP Dario.

pjbaz
08-23-2019, 03:19 PM
I'll remember Dario's passing every year until I am gone since it's also my birthday. I was one of the guys that finally pulled the trigger on a Peg shortly after he passed - it was always out of my budget but my only regret was that I didn't pull out the credit card sooner.

RIP Dario.

Enjoy it and ride it!

I have a 2014 Mxxxxxo and it's a wonderful machine.

Dekonick
08-23-2019, 03:22 PM
Damn :(