PDA

View Full Version : Centaur Ultrashift 10 (silver Gumby hood) 'soft' shifts

paredown
08-23-2018, 12:39 PM
My memory is failing, but I think Old Potatoe was urging someone else to check some internal doodad for tightness if they were experiencing soft shifts?

Or was there a problem with the first runs of these shifters that was corrected?

These were NOS when I installed them--and they haven't any real use, just some shakedown runs. The action is very soft, though precise. (Correct campy cables of course, shifting a previous generation front and rear Centaur).

Just not very positive clicks. Thoughts?

thwart
08-23-2018, 01:31 PM
I sold a pair of the original 10 spd variant I had several yrs back as they were just much too Shimano-like... soft...

With Campy's ability to drop (dump) several gears it was just too difficult to modulate the shifts.

For awhile you could buy a kit to make the shifts more firm and distinct. Unfortunately it's NLA if I recall correctly.

I'm sure the spud will chime in.

paredown
08-23-2018, 03:55 PM
I sold a pair of the original 10 spd variant I had several yrs back as they were just much too Shimano-like... soft...

With Campy's ability to drop (dump) several gears it was just too difficult to modulate the shifts.

For awhile you could buy a kit to make the shifts more firm and distinct. Unfortunately it's NLA if I recall correctly.

Thanks--looks like the kit was EC-CE110--and there are posts about not being able to find it 8 years ago. Yikes!

oldpotatoe
08-23-2018, 04:53 PM
Thanks--looks like the kit was EC-CE110--and there are posts about not being able to find it 8 years ago. Yikes!

Correct, very first gen ‘Gumby’ shape, 2009, very soft. The above kit fixed it and it was fixed by company mid 2009-2010. I have some shims that ‘may’ help but essentially they cut the ‘notches’ in the shiftvdisc deeper. I probably have a 2010 10s disc..pretty sure.

paredown
08-23-2018, 05:53 PM
Correct, very first gen ‘Gumby’ shape, 2009, very soft. The above kit fixed it and it was fixed by company mid 2009-2010. I have some shims that ‘may’ help but essentially they cut the ‘notches’ in the shiftvdisc deeper. I probably have a 2010 10s disc..pretty sure.
Is swapping the disk a PITA--or easier than rebuilding the old-style ones?

I gather that the replacement bodies are the same for Veloce and Centaur ultra shift--I see Modern Bike has these for ~$75. if I purchase the body, are there other salvageable parts?

Funny thing is that I had a pair of (also pretty rare) first gumby-style Veloce Ultrashifts--the very first ones that still had the old style logo printed on the levers--and they shifted fine, but I sold them cheap on eBay. :mad:

ultraman6970
08-23-2018, 05:55 PM
Some generation of those needed a new spooler aswell, if yours is like sticking a little it maybe because the head is not completely in at the spooler.

I had that in one centaur I got few years back, same... brand new. They are like soft... you can tell is not like record.

oldpotatoe
08-23-2018, 06:13 PM
Is swapping the disk a PITA--or easier than rebuilding the old-style ones?

I gather that the replacement bodies are the same for Veloce and Centaur ultra shift--I see Modern Bike has these for ~$75. if I purchase the body, are there other salvageable parts?

Funny thing is that I had a pair of (also pretty rare) first gumby-style Veloce Ultrashifts--the very first ones that still had the old style logo printed on the levers--and they shifted fine, but I sold them cheap on eBay. :mad:

It can be a challenge...rear easier than older levers, front harder.
Shift assembly, use the other bits from the shifter you have. Make sure they are Ultrashift, last made in 2010(7 years ago)...if they have a slot in hood for thumb button-US. If hole only, Powershift.

zmudshark
08-23-2018, 06:49 PM

I sort of like the soft shifting Centaur levers.

Zen and all...