PDA

View Full Version : I've heard the stories but...I didn't think I would ever do that...

William
08-21-2018, 03:48 PM
Normally I leave straight from the house on my rides since our place is sort of the gateway into central western RI. Yesterday I put the bike on the rack and drove up North to get some riding in a new area. On the way back I hit the pharmacy drive through to pick up a script...I could swear I had done this before. N-E-way as I was pulling in I suddenly had the feeling that I better slow down and just as I did I heard a scraping noise coming from above. CRAP, I stopped and then tried to slowly back up but as I started to let the clutch out I could feel it didn't want to go.

At the point the Pharmacist is at the window and starting to ask me my DOB but I'm trying to get out and I can't because I pulled to close to the wall. So, I interrupt him and tell him I think I just wedged my bike under the drive through roof...at which point he looks up "Yup, you did". Now I'm climbing over the shifter console to get out on the passenger side and a car pulls up behind me. I get out and access my predicament. The woman behind me is trying to figure out what the heck I'm doing while I try to release the fork mount to see if I can wiggle it out...nope, not budging. Now the Pharmacist is asking if I need help...actually yes I could use a hand. So a few minutes later he ends out coming out with another gentleman and I get them to stand on the back of the car which lowers it down just enough that I can get the bike off the rack. In the meantime more cars have pulled up to watch the show. So I check out my bike real quick and then set it aside and climb back in the passenger door, over the console, get my scripts, and then pull out and over so that further check out and then load my bike back onto the rack. Looks like I got away with just a scraped up Flite saddle...but at least I was able to put on a good show and gets some people to laugh at my stupid predicament.

I could have sworn I had pulled up to that window before with my bike in the rack.:crap:

I think I might have to give Jason a call at Recovered Cycling.:)

William

Red Tornado
08-21-2018, 03:58 PM
Could have been a lot worse. You dodged a bullet there.

Burnette
08-21-2018, 04:02 PM
Normally I leave straight from the house on my rides since our place is sort of the gateway into central western RI. Yesterday I put the bike on the rack and drove up North to get some riding in a new area. On the way back I hit the pharmacy drive through to pick up a script...I could swear I had done this before. N-E-way as I was pulling in I suddenly had the feeling that I better slow down and just as I did I heard a scraping noise coming from above. CRAP, I stopped and then tried to slowly back up but as I started to let the clutch out I could feel it didn't want to go.

At the point the Pharmacist is at the window and starting to ask me my DOB but I'm trying to get out and I can't because I pulled to close to the wall. So, I interrupt him and tell him I think I just wedged my bike under the drive through roof...at which point he looks up "Yup, you did". Now I'm climbing over the shifter console to get out on the passenger side and a car pulls up behind me. I get out and access my predicament. The woman behind me is trying to figure out what the heck I'm doing while I try to release the fork mount to see if I can wiggle it out...nope, not budging. Now the Pharmacist is asking if I need help...actually yes I could use a hand. So a few minutes later he ends out coming out with another gentleman and I get them to stand on the back of the car which lowers it down just enough that I can get the bike off the rack. In the meantime more cars have pulled up to watch the show. So I check out my bike real quick and then set it aside and climb back in the passenger door, over the console, get my scripts, and then pull out and over so that further check out and then load my bike back onto the rack. Looks like I got away with just a scraped up Flite saddle...but at least I was able to put on a good show and gets some people to laugh at my stupid predicament.

I could have sworn I had pulled up to that window before with my bike in the rack.:crap:

William

Leave that saddle on and at group rides look at the reactions when people see it, looking at your butt, looking back at the saddle and wondering what's up with your rear.

But seriously, you were unlucky then very lucky, no vehicle damage, slight bike damage and I'm guessing no damage to the store. You should have went in and bought a lottery ticket while you were there, yoor mojo flipped from bad to good right there.

weiwentg
08-21-2018, 04:04 PM
Better to be laughed at for scraping the roof than to be laughed at and have a destroyed bike.

So, especially considering the bike is all but intact, ha ha ha.

dave thompson
08-21-2018, 04:29 PM
Have a Tequila William. The saddle will still be munged up but you won’t care.

rwsaunders
08-21-2018, 04:31 PM
Any excuse to commission a new Zanc, William. http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/funny/2/upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)

Bruce K
08-21-2018, 04:38 PM
Air pressure baby

Just a couple of pounds less and you would have been fine

:rolleyes:

BK

weaponsgrade
08-21-2018, 04:39 PM
I felt my pulse quicken reading about it. My brother once went through a drive-thru with the bike up top and managed to get away with just the saddle being lopped off the rails. A few years ago I was parked in an outdoor lot at the start of a century and unloading my bike. Someone else decided to park in the covered garage across the street. I heard a bang and looked up to see two roof-mounted bikes being driven into a wall.

Ozz
08-21-2018, 05:05 PM
Have you lost weight? Maybe the car is riding a little higher than earlier in the season?

Llewellyn
08-21-2018, 05:07 PM
A drive-through pharmacy...............is that for real???

YoKev
08-21-2018, 05:10 PM

Yes, it's a thing

marciero
08-21-2018, 05:10 PM
Oh man you got off easy! I'll spare you the details of my episode years ago but suffice to say my bike fared much worse. There was a pretty hilarious video a few years ago. I think was an ad for an alarm system to prevent this sort of thing. May have been a kickstarter.

parris
08-21-2018, 05:11 PM
Just use some Kiwi Parade Gloss and those marks will polish right out! :D

Burnette
08-21-2018, 05:22 PM

Drive thru beer and liquor stores have been a thing for awhile

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr47e7Zg0d1qb2tdc.png

Louis
08-21-2018, 05:27 PM

Designed primarily for lazy people who don't exercise much, and as a result get sick and need medical attention.

MattTuck
08-21-2018, 05:59 PM
This is, by far, the worst penthouse letter that I've ever read.

Bruce K
08-21-2018, 06:09 PM
Quit playing with the Aussie..!

It’s for picking up prescriptions that have been phoned in by Doctors or refilled by phone

BK

Birddog
08-21-2018, 06:14 PM
William, it's time for a receiver mount like a Kuat, they are crash resistant.

Gummee
08-21-2018, 06:28 PM
Could have been a lot worse. You dodged a bullet there.

That's a small understatement!

That's a minor boo-boo. ...and a lesson!

M

Llewellyn
08-21-2018, 06:29 PM
Quit playing with the Aussie..!

It’s for picking up prescriptions that have been phoned in by Doctors or refilled by phone

BK

Haha, we're tough, we can take it. We have drive though bottle shops and fast food stores have a drive through lane but pharmacies is a new one for me.

Llewellyn
08-21-2018, 06:30 PM
Designed primarily for lazy people who don't exercise much, and as a result get sick and need medical attention.

ROFLMFAO :banana: :banana:

dustyrider
08-21-2018, 06:32 PM
Been there done that! I got a hitch rack and called it a day.:)

Bruce K
08-21-2018, 06:55 PM
Aren’t they called Apothecaries down there?

:rolleyes:

Tell M-A that I am finally figuring out Footy. Just watched West Coast Eagles vs Melbourne Demons today off the DVR. Great game!

BK

William
08-21-2018, 08:05 PM

That made me spit out some of Dave's Tequila all over the keyboard! :D Now I have to old the keyboard over my head to get the last drops of tequiladmgjsdngisdngmfm dr bdrfbfmnbldbdolfhjutnrfk

:banana:
William

charliedid
08-21-2018, 08:43 PM
Glad it all worked out. If there is a next time just lower the saddle...

Ask me how I know.

Louis
08-21-2018, 08:48 PM
Who posted the pictures of the BMW with the shattered rear window?

I know they're on the forum somewhere.

William
08-21-2018, 08:58 PM
I do realize I was lucky and things could have turned out much worse....

:eek:

William

Plum Hill
08-21-2018, 09:20 PM
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/A26b/tirerack-com-bike-rack-mistake-new-offer

RFC
08-21-2018, 09:21 PM
I did the same thing with my Trek 660 going through a McDonalds drive thru while on a road trip. Fortunately, it just cost me new bar tape.

But much better, while moving a law school buddy, we drove a 12 ft UHaul into a 9 ft house eave. Smashed the eave and tore the top off the truck. UHaul told us this "happens all of the time." LOL

weisan
08-21-2018, 09:26 PM
I had one...ONE rooftop accident and that was enough to convince me to stop using roof rack for transporting my bike. It was my Serotta Legend Ti. Same thing, that terrible creaking sound made between my Flite Gel saddle and the garage as I pulled in, stopped the car immediately and got out to see look. Fortunately, the only damage was a scratch-up saddle, and get this, a slightly bent titanium seatpost. I continued to use that saddle for several more years until I switched over to S- Toupe. That Ti seatpost is still fitted on one of my steel bikes.

Louis
08-21-2018, 09:47 PM
I do realize I was lucky and things could have turned out much worse....

The middle one is what I remember. As I recall, it happened at a hotel parking garage.

bironi
08-21-2018, 10:03 PM

William

Rub a little black shoe polish on your ass and go for a ride.
Forget that it ever happened.

CSTRider
08-21-2018, 11:27 PM
This is why REAL CYCLISTS get their T-patches by mail order.
:no:
Sorry - couldn't resist.
:bike:

Peter P.
08-22-2018, 04:54 AM
Great story and glad you only suffered "reminder" damage; thanks for sharing your embarrassment!

Hank Scorpio
08-22-2018, 06:50 AM
Maybe you have a few minutes and need to laugh.

http://11foot8.com/

Burnette
08-22-2018, 07:23 AM

I lol!

loxx0050
08-22-2018, 09:25 AM
Your tale gave me flashbacks when I pulled a similar stunt. Except mine was with my hardtail MTB (Aluminum frame) and my own garage. Low speed impact but enough to dent my rails and pop the downtube off the claws of my Thule Big Mouth carrier.

The bike only had superficial scrapes on the downtube and I've ridden many more times without incident. But that sucked on my car at the time. After that incident anytime I used my roof rack I put the garage door opening remote in the trunk to force me to get out to retrieve it and remove my bike before parking in the garage.

Now though...I've got a car with Homelink so can't do that anymore. But do have a hitch rack (which I somehow rarely use). Most of the time I'm by myself so just load the entire bike inside my vehicle. If I'm with the family I've used my roof rack (this time a Yakima Front/High Loader) but have been better so far to not pull another whoops moment.

Glad to hear the brunt of the damage was to the saddle cover material (hopefully and no structural damage to your seat tube or post).

Vientomas
08-22-2018, 09:26 AM

There are drive thru liquor stores too :banana:

jruhlen1980
08-22-2018, 09:35 AM
See this never would've happened if the car didn't have disc brakes...

Jeff N.
08-22-2018, 09:55 AM
Did that years ago at my work parking garage. Realized it was too low too late. Destroyed my 'Dale. Roof Racks? NEVER AGAIN!!!! (Luckily, nobody was around to see my stupidity!)

summilux
08-22-2018, 01:40 PM
Drive through confessional in Dublin. Plenty of height for SUV + bikes.

BTW it's a joke made in time for the Pope's visit.

pdmtong
08-22-2018, 06:32 PM
very lucky...generally speaking a harder hit would have the effect of the rack can opener-ing your car roof top as well as destroying your bike.

I have never done it or seen it but have heard it. its a sound that is hard to forget