PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a water bottle with a cover?

d_douglas
08-21-2018, 12:30 PM
I am trying to rid myself of my hydration pack. I have water bottle bosses on the underside of my FS bike and want to try using a bottle there. As it is exposed to the elements, I will need a bottle with a cover on the drinking part to keep the filth at a minimum and keep me healthy.

It seems a simple thing, but I cannot find anything available that properly fits in a WB cage. (ie., my kid's school bottles have what I need, but are kid-sized and wouldn't stay put in the cage!)

Are there any standard bottles out there with a plastic cover? Looking to avoid a plastic bag and an elastic over the spout of an existing one :)

jtbadge
08-21-2018, 12:34 PM
Is there a bottle cage inside the main triangle? If so, just get two of the same bottle and swap lids when it comes time to drink the second bottle.

dton
08-21-2018, 12:40 PM
You're not looking hard enough :). The Camelbak Podium's come in a version with a cover.

https://www.universalcycles.com/images//products/large/94029.jpg

Nalgene also has one, but I have no experience as to whether it fits in a standard bottle holder (they appear to).

https://store.nalgene.com/v/vspfiles/photos/2590-7022-2.jpg

cderalow
08-21-2018, 12:55 PM
Going to be honest.

Thousands of miles with a regular bottle in bottle holders in my frame and I’ve not had any sort of issues with getting sick from the bottle.

Some grit in my teeth sure, but only when riding wet roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChristianWong
08-21-2018, 01:03 PM
Going to be honest.

Thousands of miles with a regular bottle in bottle holders in my frame and I’ve not had any sort of issues with getting sick from the bottle.

Some grit in my teeth sure, but only when riding wet roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wet roads are different from MTB trails shared with horses and dogs.

OP - if you're carrying two bottles, either swap lids or move the contents into your other, cleaner, bottle.

ptourkin
08-21-2018, 01:17 PM
Wet roads are different from MTB trails shared with horses and dogs.

OP - if you're carrying two bottles, either swap lids or move the contents into your other, cleaner, bottle.

MTB is different. I use an under DT bottle especially when running a frame bag, but we call it a "giardia bottle" - I think I heard that from Tour Divide people. I usually pour the contents into another bottle, as mentioned.

vqdriver
08-21-2018, 01:31 PM
OP, i was in the exact same camp as you. mtb trails are gross, horse poo, nasty standing water crossings, and here in the city, those water crossings are almost always downstream from a stormdrain, not some pristine mountain stream. not to mention that even in the summer you get one drink from the bottle when you can simply wipe off trail dust. after it's been moistened, the tip holds onto dirt and it forms a nice layer of muck right on it. this was really why i got a camelbak to begin with. as much as i like having all my gear on my back, drying it out afterwards got tedious.

now i use a nalgene bottle with the lid. it fits in a normal bottle cage, but does not share the same lid thread as a normal bottle so no go on swapping it back and forth. sbut they're actually cheaper than lbs bottles so you can stock up. i love em.

https://www.amazon.com/Nalgene-ATB-22-OZ-NATURAL/dp/B001C240BA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1534875789&sr=8-5&keywords=nalgene%2Bbottle%2Bbike&th=1

Marc40a
08-21-2018, 01:59 PM
MTB is different. I use an under DT bottle especially when running a frame bag, but we call it a "giardia bottle" - I think I heard that from Tour Divide people. I usually pour the contents into another bottle, as mentioned.

Word.

I either run a bladder in the frame bag or bottles in the triangle.

Never on the underside of the downtube for that exact reason.

d_douglas
08-21-2018, 03:26 PM
I use a backpack, but hate the weight (although I drink more water!!) I am not doing epic rides at 8hrs - my rides max out at 3hrs offroad.

My bike is a Banshee Phantom - no conventional bottle mounts - only on the downtube underside. I have a bike nerd friend who wont buy bikes without standard WB mounts. He rides $8k MTBs and refuses any without this option, as he hates hydration packs.

Yes, I am talking nasty wet PNW winter conditions - I need a full cover and that Nalgene bottle could work for me. Thanks!

DrSpoke
08-21-2018, 04:00 PM
I recently bought the CamelBak Podium Dirt Series. I like it a lot - it's very nice. I was looking, as your are, for a water bottle for gravel and mtn bike use. For mtn biking I have a backpack hydrations system so use the water bottle for an electrolyte mix on hot days. For gravel riding I usually just use water bottles though I recently bought a "vest" which is much lighter though with less water capacity. Regardless, I'll be buying a 2nd water bottle for the gravel bike.

simplemind
08-21-2018, 06:35 PM
I use the Avex and the Nalgene (mentioned above) bottles and I prefer the Avex. The Nalgene works great, however the cap hinge is quite fragile and will break. I use the Avex (http://www.avexoutdoor.com/water-bottles/?cat=105) for mostly gravel training rides. You will get some dust in the mouthpiece, but not much else.

When I am in a gravel race situation, I have a fanny reservoir and an Orange Mud (https://www.orangemud.com/collections/mountain-biking-hydration-packs/products/bpvp70?variant=16940288324) back pack that work better than bottles, and they don't eject!