PDA

View Full Version : Mount Mitchell Route Suggestion

simpsonn
08-21-2018, 10:43 AM
From anyone familiar with the routes up to Mt Mitchell, would you recommend riding from Asheville to Mitchell or Marion to Mitchell? Pro/Cons of each?

Thanks!

emckee1
08-21-2018, 10:57 AM
Have done both ways multiple times. Both are good. I would suggest starting in Asheville, up Elk Mt Scenic Pkwy to the BRP , then on to Mitchell. The return trip is a blast!

pgrizzwald
08-21-2018, 10:57 AM
Check out this discussion from a week or so ago. Good info here...

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=225727

velofinds
08-21-2018, 10:58 AM
I haven't done Asheville to Mt Mitchell, but from what I gathered while researching this earlier, starting out from Marion cuts out the junk miles, so that's what I ended up doing.

Asheville is supposed to be a really nice little town, though.

Edit: pgrizzwald beat me to it :)

simpsonn
08-21-2018, 11:22 AM
I haven't done Asheville to Mt Mitchell, but from what I gathered while researching this earlier, starting out from Marion cuts out the junk miles, so that's what I ended up doing.

Asheville is supposed to be a really nice little town, though.

Edit: pgrizzwald beat me to it :)

I noticed starting in Marion cuts out quite a bit. I'm staying in Asheville so just wasn't sure if the 40 min drive to start in Marion was worth it.

redir
08-21-2018, 11:24 AM
How far do you want to ride? A perfect metric century (100Km) is leaving from the Folk Art Center (https://www.blueridgeparkway.org/poi/folk-art-center/) to the summit and back. It's a fantastic ride all along the parkway.

TiminVA
08-21-2018, 11:31 AM
If starting from Asheville, I would recommend starting from either the visitor's center or the folk art center. There's a short 4 - 5 mile section of the parkway from US 25 to I-40 where commuters use the parkway as a bypass. Traffic can get fairly heavy in that area.

velofinds
08-21-2018, 11:41 AM

simpsonn
08-21-2018, 11:44 AM
If starting from Asheville, I would recommend starting from either the visitor's center or the folk art center. There's a short 4 - 5 mile section of the parkway from US 25 to I-40 where commuters use the parkway as a bypass. Traffic can get fairly heavy in that area.

Are you referring to the Asheville Visitor Center or Blue Ridge Parkway Visitor Center?

booglebug
08-21-2018, 11:47 AM
How far do you want to ride? A perfect metric century (100Km) is leaving from the Folk Art Center (https://www.blueridgeparkway.org/poi/folk-art-center/) to the summit and back. It's a fantastic ride all along the parkway.

Did this a few weeks back and was told we climbed 6800ft in 63 miles

drewskey
08-21-2018, 11:56 AM
Did this a few weeks back and was told we climbed 6800ft in 63 miles

Don't you mean 6800 ft in 31.5 miles? :bike: :banana:

TiminVA
08-21-2018, 11:58 AM
Are you referring to the Asheville Visitor Center or Blue Ridge Parkway Visitor Center?
Parkway visitor center

redir
08-21-2018, 01:47 PM
Don't you mean 6800 ft in 31.5 miles? :bike: :banana:

Don't forget you are not starting at sea level. So my guess is his elevation profile was up then down together though is still off a bit I think. You probably start at about 1500ft and go up to 6600 or something like that. Coming back from that ride is a trip. I think there is something like a 20 mile descent. You actually get tired of going down :)

booglebug
08-21-2018, 02:44 PM
Don't forget you are not starting at sea level. So my guess is his elevation profile was up then down together though is still off a bit I think. You probably start at about 1500ft and go up to 6600 or something like that. Coming back from that ride is a trip. I think there is something like a 20 mile descent. You actually get tired of going down :)

Don’t forget, a few little climbs on the way back. Really don’t know if 6800 is right, just told that by a fellow rider. This was one of the better rides that I have done in a while.

rnhood
08-21-2018, 02:55 PM
If you are staying in Asheville, then I would either take Town Mtn to the Parkway, then to Mitchell, or the Elk Mtn route commented on above. Town Mtn is an iconic road from downtown to the Parkway, and its a nice climb with beautiful houses and views. The Elk Mtn route is more rural, a bit tougher as the last part will definitely warm up your legs. It is equally as beautiful, with more rural mountain landscapes instead of the high dollar homes and estates.

Folk Art Center to Mitchell is a good route, relaxed without any steep grades. Its a good route for a casual ride with friends to Mitchell. Marion to Mitchell is a good route when short on time, and you just need to get in a good workout then go home.

If you have not ridden Town Mtn, I would be inclined to recommend this route simply because its sort of an iconic road. But the Elk Mtn route is probably my favorite. It's just a good solid mountain ride a bit off the beaten path. You can go up Elk Mtn to the Parkway, then on the way back take Town Mtn back down.

velofinds
08-21-2018, 02:57 PM
If you are staying in Asheville, then I would either take Town Mtn to the Parkway, then to Mitchell, or the Elk Mtn route commented on above. Town Mtn is an iconic road from downtown to the Parkway, and its a nice climb with beautiful houses and views. The Elk Mtn route is more rural, a bit tougher as the last part will definitely warm up your legs. It is equally as beautiful, with more rural mountain landscapes instead of the high dollar homes and estates.

Folk Art Center to Mitchell is a good route, relaxed without any steep grades. Its a good route for a casual ride with friends to Mitchell. Marion to Mitchell is a good route when short on time, and you just need to get in a good workout then go home.

If you have not ridden Town Mtn, I would be inclined to recommend this route simply because its sort of an iconic road. But the Elk Mtn route is probably my favorite. It's just a good solid mountain ride a bit off the beaten path. You can go up Elk Mtn to the Parkway, then on the way back take Town Mtn back down.

Dang, now I need to go back down there again :)

kramnnim
08-21-2018, 03:08 PM
Park in Marion, ride up to Mitchell, then on your way back, stay on the Parkway a bit longer (instead of going back down 80) to Little Switzerland and descend 226A, it's awesome.

simpsonn
08-21-2018, 03:54 PM
Thanks for all the tips. With the 7.5 hour drive down there, I'll probably stick with departing from Asheville to avoid any further driving as it sounds like both starting points are great options. The route I found had me taking Town Mtn Road up but I had no idea about the option for Elk Mtn Road. Guess I'll have to look into the gradients on the Elk Mtn Road route to see if it's doable.

velofinds
08-21-2018, 04:09 PM
Park in Marion, ride up to Mitchell, then on your way back, stay on the Parkway a bit longer (instead of going back down 80) to Little Switzerland and descend 226A, it's awesome.

This is what I ended up doing.

OtayBW
08-21-2018, 05:07 PM
A convenient place to park and ride is the Parkway Folk Arts Ctr. Go east of Asheville on Hwy 70 ~3-4 mi and Turn L onto the BR Parkway and then ~0.25 mi. The ride up to Mt. Mitchell is ~30 as I recall (?) with the first 20 mi a nice pull of ~20 mi up to Craggey Gardens at ~5-9% grade. Of course, you will have a screaming downhill coming back! :eek:

Lovetoclimb
08-21-2018, 05:40 PM
If you are staying in Asheville just ride from your place. Suggestions to go up Elk Mtn are legit, return via Town Mountain Rd into town. Take it from a local.

Elk Mtn is rideable with a 53x27, certainly no steeper than the road you will face going up the final push to Mitchell. Of course lower gears always make it more enjoyable. Plan for changeable weather with a rain gilet or light jacket. It has dropped 20 degrees in as many minutes on me up there.

cv1966
08-21-2018, 07:10 PM
Have done both ways multiple times. Both are good. I would suggest starting in Asheville, up Elk Mt Scenic Pkwy to the BRP , then on to Mitchell. The return trip is a blast!

Agree. Better starting and ending in Asheville.