PDA

View Full Version : Busted Ti - Repair, or Wall Art?

zross312
08-20-2018, 08:23 PM
The head tube on my 2005 Litespeed Vortex cracked horribly last week. I'm not exactly sure how it happened (there was no major impact that could have caused it), but apparently this was a common issue with the early generation integrated headset frames they built. Anyway, even though I'm not the original owner, Litespeed is willing to repair the frame by replacing the entire headtube with a standard 1 1/8 one - for $500, plus shipping. So my question - does anyone have experience with this type of repair, and is it worth it? Or should I go ahead and mount it on the wall?

Bentley
08-20-2018, 08:31 PM
The head tube on my 2005 Litespeed Vortex cracked horribly last week. I'm not exactly sure how it happened (there was no major impact that could have caused it), but apparently this was a common issue with the early generation integrated headset frames they built. Anyway, even though I'm not the original owner, Litespeed is willing to repair the frame by replacing the entire headtube with a standard 1 1/8 one - for $500, plus shipping. So my question - does anyone have experience with this type of repair, and is it worth it? Or should I go ahead and mount it on the wall?

for 500 you can get most of the way on a newer frame. fix this and its still 13yrs old.

My opinion

Ray

charliedid
08-20-2018, 08:43 PM
I'd throw it in the garbage if it were mine

Matthew
08-20-2018, 08:48 PM
Yup. Time to move on.

johnny1221
08-20-2018, 08:51 PM
I'd throw it in the garbage if it were mine

+1 for the garbage

Dude
08-20-2018, 09:02 PM
Fix it! Not fixing it seems awfully wasteful.

hokoman
08-20-2018, 09:03 PM
Buy my Vortex!!! :)

CMiller
08-20-2018, 11:02 PM
If a list member put up the same frame for sale at $500 would you leap for it? If yes, then repair and feel good about not letting ti go in the dump. If not, maybe offer it for a very low price on ebay or the forum to see if someone else would be interested in the repair.

weaponsgrade
08-21-2018, 12:04 AM
A friend was the original owner of a Merlin that developed a crack around the downtube shifters. Lightspeed honored the lifetime warranty and replaced the downtube. It was hard to tell the tube had been replaced.

I think $500 is a little steep considering the price of used ti bikes these days. If the ride and fit are good and used Litespeeds go for more than $500, I might do it. More likely though, I'd throw it up on eBay for someone else to take a crack at it and put the money towards something else.

mhespenheide
08-21-2018, 12:05 AM
I love the idea of fixing things, but you can get entire Ti bikes for $800 secondhand, or that $500 will get you a long way towards a new-but-discounted-on-eBay Lynskey frame.

pdmtong
08-21-2018, 12:12 AM
my calendar says 2018 and in that 13 years from when this frame was made a lot has changed and improved. lucky you, a reason to get something new.

NFW would I repair that. would you fix a 15 year old washing machine, dishwasher, refrigerator if the repair was approx (or greater than) the current market value of the item?

not even wall art...cut out the rear triangle and part of the ST and use the two as a noise maker during CX season...

Peter P.
08-21-2018, 04:53 AM
$500 is oodles cheaper than a new frame, or a used frame with an unknown history. If Litespeed says they can do the repair, go for it. It's worth at least one shot. If it fails a second time then perhaps try something else.

johnniecakes
08-21-2018, 05:31 AM
I have a 2001 Ultimate, if it cracked I would definetly get it fixed. By keeping for as long as you have tells me you like the bike. The next one maybe not so much. What size?:)

duff_duffy
08-21-2018, 08:21 AM
Trash it

jpritchet74
08-21-2018, 08:31 AM
Fix it!

semdoug
08-21-2018, 08:34 AM
Have you checked with other builders? I agree $500 seems steep considering the current used market.

oldpotatoe
08-21-2018, 08:43 AM
Trash it, fix it, trash it, fix it....:)

Looks like the crack may have started at the weld. Which 'may' mean contaminated weld..you are betting $500 the new headtube install, with new welds, will be good, not contaminated. I'd look around for a company that 'may' have a better rep. Bilinky?? maybe?

mktng
08-21-2018, 09:00 AM
wall art!

cmg
08-21-2018, 09:01 AM
NFW would I repair that. would you fix a 15 year old washing machine, dishwasher, refrigerator if the repair was approx (or greater than) the current market value of the item?

That's the argument car manufacturer's use to lure you to a new car sale. It's not the current value that matters. a 2005 Votex w/fork will go for around $800 and above, its the replacement cost of finding a frame/fork that's comprimable that matters. Can you find a 2005 Litespeed Vortex in the correct size for less than $600? I don't think so and since new is $3200+ replacement looks like the better deal.

Butch
08-21-2018, 09:07 AM
Looks to me like the crack is in the heat affected zone, probably because the headtube is made from a lower grade ti. Lynskey, who made the frame, have at least 40 new frames for sale on ebay pretty much all the time for about $1000 or less. To old spuds point, you have seen it break once... and this will put the cost of the frame up $500 more than you already have into it. My 2 cents

zap
08-21-2018, 09:16 AM
I would not repair it. What are the chances the frame will crack somewhere else?

I donated my cracked ti frame to someone who made custom canes. He cut the frame and incorporated the three main tubes into one of his designs.

oldpotatoe
08-21-2018, 09:20 AM
sell it to weisan-'pal':)

Bentley
08-21-2018, 09:22 AM
That's the argument car manufacturer's use to lure you to a new car sale. It's not the current value that matters. a 2005 Votex w/fork will go for around $800 and above, its the replacement cost of finding a frame/fork that's comprimable that matters. Can you find a 2005 Litespeed Vortex in the correct size for less than $600? I don't think so and since new is $3200+ replacement looks like the better deal.

I think the real point is not the pure economics you point to here, really its about what do you have when its done. So you spend $500 to replace the head tube, and then given it is a 13 year old bike what gives next. A seat tube, a chainstay, bottom bracket? I think the question is how much do you invest in a 13 year old bike that you plan to ride? I would share that it seems like that is a lot of money to invest given its unclear that something else wont break and then you are holding a frame with a $500 head tube and you are back here asking the same question.

That said, if the frame is that "amazing" then spend as much as you can afford.

Best

Ray

buddybikes
08-21-2018, 09:24 AM
After fixing weld, need headset, assume fork would remain, but at 13 years, a crack where potentially could of been "stressed" (accident?). As experts before said, probably welding issue but worth evaluating the town dump

old_fat_and_slow
08-21-2018, 10:19 AM
Vortexes (Vortices) were some of the sexiest Ti frames ever built. If your frame fits you well, and you still enjoy riding it. No question... get it fixed.

It's not like you're having your cousin Buford's stepbrother's friend Cletis with a Tig welder mounted on the back of his F-450 weld 'er back up. I'm pretty sure Lightspeed (Lynskeys or no Lynskeys) know how to do a simple tube replacement.

If you've been lusting for other frames, then now is time to drop some coin and get a new frame. In my opinion Vortexes still look pretty cool, but I'm old school.

DreaminJohn
08-21-2018, 10:21 AM
Also, the Vortex is 6/4 Ti. Does that factor in from a repair perspective?

Good luck.

Charles M
08-23-2018, 01:34 PM
Wait... This isnt carbon, how can it possibly be broken?
:banana:

tourmalet
08-23-2018, 01:44 PM
Same thing happened to my father's Litespeed from the same era (early 2000s). Unfortunately he doesn't have the original sales receipt, so Litespeed won't repair it under warranty.

I wonder if these cracked headtubes are due to a design or manufacturing issue.

chiasticon
08-23-2018, 01:53 PM
I'd say it depends upon what the frame's worth to you. I have some frames where I'd pay that to have them repaired, should they need it. others, not so much. each for different reasons though...

in some cases, I have enough emotional/nostalgic attachment to the frame and what we've been through together, I'd want to keep it going. in others, there's not enough of that nor return on investment from the frame to make such an outlay worthwhile. and still others, though I love them dearly, should something happen, I may be curious enough about other options to retire them.

but basically: we can't make this decision for you.

mcteague
08-23-2018, 02:24 PM
Wait... This isnt carbon, how can it possibly be broken?
:banana:

The most common denominator with broken ti is the Litespeed name on the downtube! :D

Tim

madsciencenow
08-23-2018, 02:54 PM
my calendar says 2018 and in that 13 years from when this frame was made a lot has changed and improved. lucky you, a reason to get something new.

not even wall art...cut out the rear triangle and part of the ST and use the two as a noise maker during CX season...

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk