PDA

View Full Version : Why go compact?

dgauthier
04-28-2004, 06:24 PM
Since Campy just brought out their compact cranks, I was just wondering: In general, when and why would one want to use a compact crank? Is it simply a way to avoid the weight (and stigma?) of a triple, or are there other advantages?

Smiley
04-28-2004, 06:46 PM
Most people spend very little time pushing a 53 by 12 gear and if your one that spins or perfers to take it easy and have stuff in your drive train for hills than a compac double in a 50 by 34 is ready made for you. I own a tandem with a granny and rarely around here use the granny gear BUT on the other hand I do use my 52 by 12 alot. Different strokes for different folks.

Too Tall
04-28-2004, 07:56 PM
My reason for giving it a try was to see if tight lower gearing options during hard race / training type climbing would improve my uphill speed. Guess what? NOT! I really love the close gearing and wide range in general. The answer to my (expensive) experiment was that I need to pedal harder! I hate that ;)

However, not all is lost. The easier gearing will be a g-d send for winter cruising and more moderate paced riding in general. The 34X50 with an 11X23 is a de-lightful combo.

If I were to go back to PBP on a single bike this is EXACTLY what I'd take. *Did I just say that?

Marco
04-28-2004, 08:20 PM
Let me ask the question(s) this way: What problem is the compact solving? Is it (i) to make a more practical gearing combination for non-professionals (ii) an answer to people cycling in the mountains (iii) a reversion back to a more sane time in the past when this was the norm?

BigMac, Dbrk, Jerk....is there any history or framework that would help us less knowledgable folk understand where this is coming from?

gasman
04-28-2004, 09:16 PM
I bought the FSA compact crank with a 12-27 and the new DA 10 speed for my new Calfee. I am a recreational rider who occasionally tries to hang on training rides with the big boys (cat 1-4s) but I don't race. I did it as an experiment because I ride a lot of hills and have years of problems with patellar tendonitis. Maybe it just makes me spin more on the hills but I have ridden about 1800 miles this year without knee pain. The shifting is miles better than on my bike with triple Ultegra and the gearing is almost as low as a triple. I do somewhat miss tight gearing but the relief from knee pain has been worth it. So- a successful experiment for me. :D

jeffg
04-28-2004, 09:48 PM
I just rode a DC with a 48X34, 12-27 setup. Over 206 miles and 20,000 feet, the 34X27 was great and I spent more time in the big ring than otherwise. I may have been able to spin a 53X12 down some of the descents, but most are technical and I still broke 50 mph on a few occassions. IMHO, a 48/34 or 50/36 offers much better spacing than 50/34. The only problem with a compact Campy crank is no 12-29 unless you make it yourself! If you use a 12-25, a 53/39, 13-29 is even a bit better in range and spacing. If you use a 13-29, then I feel a 50 or 48-13 is a bit too little for downhills. That's why my campy setup is 53/39, 13-29 for now. I might be tempted if I can keep my Phil BB and use a 12-25 for most of the time and throw on a 12 or 13-29 for a special event.

Birddog
04-28-2004, 10:43 PM
Has anyone here mated a compact double with Record 10? I just popped for the compact double that Nashbar had on sale, and I plan on trying it out. My thought was that I could just throw on the 50-34CD when I went to the mtns. I presently run a 12/25. I figured for under $70, I couldn't go wrong, it was cheaper than a Campy cassette. Incidentally, in case anybody is interested or knows, the inside of the crank arms was stamped RPM, which I assume is the mfg.

Birddog

jerk
04-28-2004, 10:52 PM
the jerk swapped to compact for the simple reason that he is fat, slow and invariably rides alone....the jerk is too fast for the recreational riders and too lazy for the racers....while riding alone the jerk always found himself in cross over gears in his 42.....so the jerk went compact. the result is that i never use the 36. a 53/42 is perfect for the jerk of ten years ago...a 50/36 is perfect for some jerk of the future....in any case, compact with a tight cassette is pretty cool although it insults my sensibilities which still believe big/big gears feel alot smoother.

jerk

shinomaster
04-28-2004, 11:31 PM
if you almost broke the tt record in Lil' Concord you must be pretty fast for a fatso..or like me you just say your fat when in fact I'm 5" 10" and weight 144lbs..Hmmm...I feel fat though..go figure...There no hills in Boston either..

davids
04-29-2004, 07:46 AM
I see it as a potential replacement for a triple - Instead of a 52/40/30 with an 11-23, I could use a 50/34 with an 11-25. I am strictly a fast recreational rider, BTW...

I would lose some gear combos and the top gears, but also lose weight and complexity. The downside is a bigger gap between the big and small rings. And the $$$ to replace most of my drivetrain, of course.

Peter
04-29-2004, 09:34 PM
I think the ubiquitous 53x12 is way too high a gear and most people won't use it often enough to warrant its presence on a bike. My rule of thumb is, if you're not using and spinning out your top gear on an average ride, then your bike is probably geared too high.

This is coming from a former Cat. 3 racer.

My other guide is, "I want only one gear higher than my sprinting gear."

That said, I've found a 50x13 to be all the gear I need, even on group rides with faster riders, and I'm known to be a big gear guy rather than a spinner. Why are blows like us riding the same gears as the eurodogs?

I also think the difference between a 53 and a 39 is too drastic a jump. I like my shifting simple and don't worry about duplicate gears. I just shift once in front or rear to seek my next gear depending on terrain and conditions. It's simple and it works. I use a 42x50.

Climb01742
04-30-2004, 08:49 AM
i'm simply not strong enough to ride much of my 53. in the past when i've tried to push too big of a gear, i've gotten injured. i've ordered an FSA compact, on which i'll run either a 34/48 or 39/50 or something near those. being able to use more of my gears, with less stress on my muscles and bones, and more stress on my heart and lungs, will be, i hope, a recipe for speed, fun and fewer injuries. for many of us, a 53 is just an ego thing. in my case, my body can't cover that check my ego is writing.