PDA

View Full Version : OT: What to do with a casket you dont need? Yet…

Cicli
08-19-2018, 09:09 AM
So, my FIL trying to be a nuce guy buys a casket for someone. He is unaware that caskets come in different sizes and the one he bought is too small. He cant return it and is now stuck with it. I dont think he is having much luck with craigs list.
I recomended donating it but he is cheap and insists its worth money.
Thoughts? Anyone market a used casket lately? Beer cooler? Bath tub? Prop for friends yard when they go on vacation for a couple of weeks?

I find it hilarious he has this thing.

Steve in SLO
08-19-2018, 09:24 AM
Flowerbox full of daisies?

oldpotatoe
08-19-2018, 09:25 AM
So, my FIL trying to be a nuce guy buys a casket for someone. He is unaware that caskets come in different sizes and the one he bought is too small. He cant return it and is now stuck with it. I dont think he is having much luck with craigs list.
I recomended donating it but he is cheap and insists its worth money.
Thoughts? Anyone market a used casket lately? Beer cooler? Bath tub? Prop for friends yard when they go on vacation for a couple of weeks?

I find it hilarious he has this thing.

Planter..

merlinmurph
08-19-2018, 09:51 AM
Best OT Topic of the Year

Burnette
08-19-2018, 10:32 AM
https://autowise.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Dragula-Barris.jpg

C40_guy
08-19-2018, 12:12 PM
Another friend who's shorter?

Or...put some oar locks (or an outboard motor mount) on it and go fishing...

texbike
08-19-2018, 12:18 PM

^Bam! ;) George Barris/Tom Daniel could have done something fun with it.

By the way, if you haven't seen that Munsters movie, the race scene is really cool. There are several interesting cars in it including a Mercedes 300SL roadster and a Ferrari 250 SWB Spyder that gets crashed. Who would have know that each of those would be worth what they are now???

Texbike

2LeftCleats
08-19-2018, 12:36 PM
Bike travel case. Not so likely to be tossed around.

jghall
08-19-2018, 12:47 PM
Halloween front yard decoration.

Was surprised how many caskets are listed for say on the Bay.

SlowPokePete
08-19-2018, 01:17 PM
Will it fit the FIL?

He can keep it in the basement or out in the shed until he needs it.

SPP

juanj
08-19-2018, 02:24 PM
Simple, just leave instructions with the undertaker to be buried with knees bent.

C40_guy
08-19-2018, 02:44 PM
The casket maker might take it back for a small (or large) restocking fee.

In fact, if I were the FIL in question, I would insist on that since size (helght) wasn't brought up at time of sale...You think that would be one of the basic questions that always gets asked...

Unless there's more to the backstory...

Spaghetti Legs
08-19-2018, 03:24 PM
You, my friend, have won Paceline today!

As above, my first thought is race it. Put wheels on and enter a soapbox derby. I like the planter idea though.

Coffee table?

joosttx
08-19-2018, 03:41 PM
I feel this site is slowly becoming “geriatric-line”. It is only days til beeatnik realizes he can make a mint creating an adult diaper bib that he exclusively markets here.

rwsaunders
08-19-2018, 03:45 PM
I purchased a casket lately and it was specifically designed for cremation. See it’s if that’s the case for your FIL’s purchase and it might be easier to sell. I bet that he can donate the casket as well...reach out to a charity like the Salvation Army.

Idris Icabod
08-19-2018, 04:32 PM

tylercheung
08-19-2018, 04:42 PM
Technically it’s not “used”?

Is it?!

charliedid
08-19-2018, 05:13 PM
Haha I read the title as Crankset :p

That's all I got.

RoadWhale
08-19-2018, 05:34 PM
Donate your FIL's legs to science ?

weiwentg
08-19-2018, 05:42 PM
Donate your FIL's legs to science ?

Well, there was the story (http://www.nbcnews.com/id/30033801/ns/us_news-life/t/wife-legs-husbands-body-cut-fit-coffin/) of the 6' 7" guy who was too tall for his casket, which resulted in the funeral home - allegedly - cutting his feet off...

beeatnik
08-19-2018, 06:11 PM
I feel this site is slowly becoming “geriatric-line”. It is only days til beeatnik realizes he can make a mint creating an adult diaper bib that he exclusively markets here.

I better do it soon because I'm actually (and ironically) in a position where a casket purchase is required. My Jefita's relocation from a mausoleum at a local Catholic cemetery, where she has been entombed for the last 6 years, to the Crypt Mausoleum of the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels requires a new casket purchase. This "technicality" was not disclosed at the time contracts were signed. The current casket will be disposed of at a cost of $300 (plus the initial $6000 purchase price). It's not easy being Catholic these days. Well, it wouldn't be, if I were.

jefita
1) Mexican slang for Mom
2) Endearing term for important female (grandmother, mom, etc.)
Gracias jefita por todo

chicano slang for mom
this is how u would use it in a sentence "i cant go i have to ask my jefita first?"
by la green eyez August 23, 2005

http://www.olacathedral.org/cathedral/mausoleum/about1.html

List of people buried at the Cathedral

Clergy
Bishop Juan Arzube
Thaddeus Amat y Brusi, first Bishop of Los Angeles
John Cantwell, first Archbishop of Los Angeles
Bishop Thomas James Conaty
Bishop Carl Anthony Fisher
James Francis McIntyre, second Archbishop of Los Angeles, who was created Cardinal
John J. Ward, auxiliary bishop

Laity
Bernardine Murphy Donohue, philanthropist and papal countess
Victor and Loretta Baron Mahony, parents of Cardinal Roger Mahony
June Marlowe, actress
Gregory Peck, actor
Saint Vibiana, patron saint of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles

gemship
08-19-2018, 07:15 PM
This thread is a riot, Beatnik same to you. Thanks for the laughs fellas and keeping it original! :beer:

Cicli
08-19-2018, 07:27 PM
I better do it soon because I'm actually (and ironically) in a position where a casket purchase is required. My Jefita's relocation from a mausoleum at a local Catholic cemetery, where she has been entombed for the last 6 years, to the Crypt Mausoleum of the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels requires a new casket purchase. This "technicality" was not disclosed at the time contracts were signed. The current casket will be disposed of at a cost of $300 (plus the initial $6000 purchase price). It's not easy being Catholic these days. Well, it wouldn't be, if I were.

jefita
1) Mexican slang for Mom
2) Endearing term for important female (grandmother, mom, etc.)
Gracias jefita por todo

chicano slang for mom
this is how u would use it in a sentence "i cant go i have to ask my jefita first?"
by la green eyez August 23, 2005

http://www.olacathedral.org/cathedral/mausoleum/about1.html

List of people buried at the Cathedral

Clergy
Bishop Juan Arzube
Thaddeus Amat y Brusi, first Bishop of Los Angeles
John Cantwell, first Archbishop of Los Angeles
Bishop Thomas James Conaty
Bishop Carl Anthony Fisher
James Francis McIntyre, second Archbishop of Los Angeles, who was created Cardinal
John J. Ward, auxiliary bishop

Laity
Bernardine Murphy Donohue, philanthropist and papal countess
Victor and Loretta Baron Mahony, parents of Cardinal Roger Mahony
June Marlowe, actress
Gregory Peck, actor
Saint Vibiana, patron saint of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles

Well, the one I know of is new and in a garage in SoCal. Motivated seller.

Mr. Pink
08-19-2018, 07:35 PM
Use it as an ice filled beer and wine cooler at your next deck party. Sure to be a fun conversation peice!

saab2000
08-19-2018, 08:11 PM
https://autowise.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/dragula-barris.jpg

poty

Hellgate
08-19-2018, 08:18 PM
Flower bed or a koi pond?

Jeff N.
08-19-2018, 09:37 PM
Use it, and get in it, out in front of your house on Halloween. Scare the s*&^ out of the kiddies!

Toddtwenty2
08-19-2018, 09:54 PM
Remove the back and it would be a sharp door/ door frame.

Cats love boxes to sit in- there is surely a cat lady market with some creativity.

Local theater could use it as a prop.

Gothic buffet business sandwich tray- though would likely need too many pall bearer servers on staff to make any real money.

summilux
08-19-2018, 09:55 PM
Donate to a church and get a tax receipt for msrp.

beeatnik
08-19-2018, 10:01 PM
Well, the one I know of is new and in a garage in SoCal. Motivated seller.

I shouldn't but I should.

It'll hit you with 10% for your mitzvah.

roguedog
08-20-2018, 10:52 PM
Go to Colorado to the coffin races. http://www.emmacrawfordfestival.com/information-for-racers.html

Good luck!

RFC
08-21-2018, 09:00 AM
If I recall correctly, when you are cremated, they put you in a cardboard box. That's why funeral homes rent caskets. So, offer it for rent on Craigslist and treat it as a profit stream.

djm
08-22-2018, 12:33 PM
They make great beer coolers once you add some foam insulation and a liner.

Dirtdiggler
08-22-2018, 01:02 PM
Ornate gang box for the contractor tools.

jtbadge
08-22-2018, 01:04 PM
If I recall correctly, when you are cremated, they put you in a cardboard box.

"It is our most... modestly priced receptacle"

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0002/6342/1963/articles/donnyurn3_465_349_int_800x.jpg?v=1525352722

timsmcm
08-22-2018, 07:58 PM
"It is our most... modestly priced receptacle"

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0002/6342/1963/articles/donnyurn3_465_349_int_800x.jpg?v=1525352722

The dood abides.

froze
08-22-2018, 08:27 PM

This!

I realize the casket is too small but so what if the person is a bit scrunched up inside, it's not like you need to worry about comfort.

Louis
08-22-2018, 09:25 PM
If it's a Shimano 11-28, 10-spd I'll take it.

AngryScientist
08-22-2018, 09:44 PM
Nominated for most obscure OT thread 2018.

Seriously though; is buying caskets well ahead of time a thing? Then you have to store it somewhere etc?

rwsaunders
08-22-2018, 10:40 PM
Nominated for most obscure OT thread 2018.

Seriously though; is buying caskets well ahead of time a thing? Then you have to store it somewhere etc?

When you make pre-arrangements, you make a decision to either be cremated or not and if cremated, you can either be interred in a casket or in a vessel such as an urn, or just be taken home in a vessel. The pre-arrangement provider most often takes care of the casket or the urn so you're not dealing with storage issues, etc.

There was an earlier reference to renting a casket for presentation at the funeral home in the case of a cremation, so you're essentially not burning a casket. There are manufacturers of caskets that are made specifically for presentation and cremation, in that they are fabricated entirely of wood, and the interior treatments (lining) are removed for the cremation process.

More than perhaps you want to know and I recently went through this process for a family member, specifically a cremation issue. Feel welcome to PM if you have any questions, as the subject matter can evoke quite an array of emotions and I'd be happy to offer my insight and advice based on my experience.

Mr. Pink
08-23-2018, 02:51 PM
They make great beer coolers once you add some foam insulation and a liner.

Haha, this was my idea on page 2. Bravo.

I'd stand there and hand them out, and tell people, "This stuff will kill you if you aren't careful".

froze
08-23-2018, 05:43 PM
Personally what I would do, I mean since caskets are such ornate wood objects, is to do this and put it in the living room:

https://www.dappercadaver.com/products/black-leather-casket-sofa-rental

And just think, instead of spending $1,875 for one already made you already have it just modify it and it may cost you maybe $500 in parts at the most.

Of course I would only do that if I was single because my wife would probably figure out a way to bury me in that sofa if I tried that!

mtechnica
08-23-2018, 05:55 PM
I would donate it, but then again, I never would have bought it in the first place.

Brian Cdn
08-23-2018, 08:51 PM
List it on AirBnB and VRBO.