PDA

View Full Version : Vamoots RSL vs Litespeed T1SL

grnrcr
08-18-2018, 02:54 PM
Two top end Ti race bikes but how similar or different do they ride in real life? I imagine the Litespeed is probably a good 2-300 grams lighter. Stiffness? Comfort?

Matthew
08-18-2018, 02:59 PM
The consensus on this forum will be go Moots hands down. I agree as I have two Moots. Not an RSL though. But is there a way you could test ride both or at least one? Probably the only real way to get a fair judgement. But for build quality and all around awesome people/company I suggest going with a Moots.

Lanternrouge
08-18-2018, 03:06 PM
You might also want to check out a Lynskey. A friend who has owned an absurd number of high end bikes and is a big fan of Ti got one from their eBay store and has been really happy with it.

grnrcr
08-18-2018, 03:16 PM
The consensus on this forum will be go Moots hands down. I agree as I have two Moots. Not an RSL though. But is there a way you could test ride both or at least one? Probably the only real way to get a fair judgement. But for build quality and all around awesome people/company I suggest going with a Moots.

I’ve briefly ridden a RSL but not a T1SL. Agree Moots def has the stronger “brand” of the two. But T1SL has that “modern” Ti thing which is intriguing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beeatnik
08-18-2018, 03:17 PM
The choice is between something of high quality elegance and something modern. If one wants modern, the S-Works Tarmac Sl6 (or F10 or BMC Teammachine or...) is the answer.

Get the RSL. The Litespeeds are only preferred by guys who have owned new series Litespeeds. Hi Ryan!

parco
08-18-2018, 03:46 PM
Have ridden both. I thought the ride quality of the Moots was better. At this level you're really splitting hairs but I also thought the quality of the welds on the Moots was much better.

peanutgallery
08-18-2018, 04:10 PM
If you want a Litespeed, get them while you can. I get the feeling that they are struggling on struggle street. What is left of the ti market has kinda left them behind

mcteague
08-18-2018, 04:41 PM
Moots! Why we even discussing this? :rolleyes:

Tim

dbnm
08-18-2018, 05:38 PM
I own a 2015 Vamoots RSL. It's a 54cm and the frame weighs about 1150g. I have a hard time thinking the Litespeed is under 900g.

The Moots has huge name recognition and resale value. If that matters.

SuperColnago
08-18-2018, 05:47 PM
I have a 2014 MOOTS RSL, don’t know anything about the Litespeed T1SL, where are they made?

dbnm
08-18-2018, 06:11 PM
On the Litespeed website, the T1SL Disc with Ultegra Di2 is $8400 and Dura Ace Di2 is $14,900. ***?

Oh, and they say "Lightest weight titanium frame on the market (1,000 grams for rim brake version & 1,175 grams for disc version)" but don't mention what size this is for.

The Moots Vamoots RSL (disc) with Dura Ace Di2 is $11,600.

grnrcr
08-18-2018, 11:16 PM
I own a 2015 Vamoots RSL. It's a 54cm and the frame weighs about 1150g. I have a hard time thinking the Litespeed is under 900g.

The Moots has huge name recognition and resale value. If that matters.

Resale value is a great point. I have a hard time hanging on to a bike for more than a year or two. Never owned a Ti bike though.

maverick_1
08-18-2018, 11:56 PM
Have the same thoughts...
Moots RSL or T1SL.

And should we also include Bixxis Pathos (Ti) into the equation?
Ryun seems to like his Bixxis Prima, not sure about Pathos though.
Had the De Rosa Titanio 3.25 previously, nice and smooth ride but would love for a stiffer rear end.

Cheers

oldpotatoe
08-19-2018, 07:29 AM
On the Litespeed website, the T1SL Disc with Ultegra Di2 is $8400 and Dura Ace Di2 is $14,900. ***?

Oh, and they say "Lightest weight titanium frame on the market (1,000 grams for rim brake version & 1,175 grams for disc version)" but don't mention what size this is for.

The Moots Vamoots RSL (disc) with Dura Ace Di2 is $11,600.

What was the Litespeed model that was advertised as 'uber light'...I had one for repair and the front der clamp crimped the seat tube..:eek:

Get the Moots..they 'do one thing and do it well'..no marketing whizbangery.

Ralph
08-19-2018, 11:31 AM
Ive been looking, studying, and admiring all the Ti Frames I see on my rides. And I see all the brands mentioned on here.

To me.....maybe... some brands are in a class by them selves....and are priced for that.

But if you just want a nice Ti frame.....and I mean nice......the Motobecane Ti frames on Bikesdirect.com made by Ora Engineering LTD in Taiwan are as nice as any (and maybe nicer) popular priced Ti frame I have seen. Especially if price is considered. I imagine if you have an issue with the frame, you ship back to their US site......that's something I would want to clear up before buying. But the frame I looked over was a recent buy, and looked as nice as any. Of course.....you can't see inside the welds out on the roads.

foo_fighter
08-19-2018, 12:02 PM
Was it a Vortex?

What was the Litespeed model that was advertised as 'uber light'...I had one for repair and the front der clamp crimped the seat tube..:eek:

Get the Moots..they 'do one thing and do it well'..no marketing whizbangery.

dbnm
08-19-2018, 02:47 PM
Litespeed Ghisallo

Very light, at a cost.

Jeff N.
08-19-2018, 08:06 PM
Firefly. Next.......?

beeatnik
08-19-2018, 10:03 PM
Jeff, what if the cat has a race next week?

Jeff N.
08-20-2018, 09:16 AM
Jeff, what if the cat has a race next week?
He's gonna have to put it off a while.

cmg
08-20-2018, 11:16 AM
Litespeed T1sl, 1,000 grams average weight for medium frame, 6A/4V break sheet formed and variably tapered top tube, Oversized, butted and bi-axial ovalized 3AL/2.5V down tube, Triple butted, oversized, asymmetric chainstays , Handmade in the USA, from geometry chart, BB Drop (CM) 6.8

Moots RSL, LIGHTWEIGHT, proprietary, butted titanium tube set reduces weight and maintains stiffness and durability, Head tube 44mm, BB drop tends to be deeper than Litespeed.

The 44mm head tube will stiffen the from end, you'll notice it. The litespeed ovalizes the top tube to accomplish the same stiffening. The asymmetric chain stays stiffen the BB on the litespeed, Moots just uses larger chain stays.

I have a Lynskey R230 and think it's a great ride but yes on the lower resale value. that's how/why I got it. cheap buy, cheap respray. Buy it used, ride for a awhile, try to lose a little and go on to the next.

Mark McM
08-20-2018, 12:17 PM
Litespeed Ghisallo

Very light, at a cost.

Yes, the Ghisallo. I've got one from their first production year (2002). If you pinch the top tube between your thumb and fingers, you can feel the tube walls flex.

Tabl10s
08-21-2018, 08:09 PM
Two top end Ti race bikes but how similar or different do they ride in real life? I imagine the Litespeed is probably a good 2-300 grams lighter. Stiffness? Comfort?

T1sl is the prettier one that'll get you on the road more often.

m4rk540
08-22-2018, 01:40 AM
T1sl is prettier that'll get you on the road more often.

Someone who rides a Cervelo and F8 would say that. :p

grnrcr
08-22-2018, 10:47 PM
Doesn’t seem like anyone knows if one bike does one thing better than the other. I guess it comes down to appearance and brand affinity.

Tabl10s
08-23-2018, 11:55 AM
Someone who rides a Cervelo and F8 would say that. :p

I'd like to have an T1sl and might do it when the company has its annual sale.

madsciencenow
08-23-2018, 02:27 PM
I have a 2016 RSL, recently acquired Pronto and Legend and I think you really need to ride what you are considering before dropping some serious coin. I like the three bikes listed above but for different reasons.

As the saying goes, one man's heaven is another man's hell and while you probably can't go too wrong with any of the bikes you are considering I've found that on the occasion when I'm looking for a new bike and actually taken a test ride it has become pretty apparent as to what the right choice is for me.

Good luck with the decision and let us know what you decide!

Alaska Mike
08-26-2018, 11:20 PM
I'll say this up front- I'm fairly new to ti frames. I bought a Russian-made frame off of eBay (Pro's Closet) on a whim a few years back after TSA did some custom crimping on my aluminum Storck travel bike. I rode the hell out of that Russian frame, and its durability and the ability to shed dirt sold me on the material. The only real issues for me on the frame was it was more of an endurance model and I generally prefer something more sporty (sprinter).

In the end, I ended up with two Moots I got off the 2nd hand market (a 2008 Compact and a 2015 Vamoots DR) for about the same price as a single frameset (even with a pretty good team discount). The DR is built up with a lot of Moots ti bits, and the Compact is mostly ENVE- but I'm still sorting things out as far as builds go. Minor stuff at this point.

The Compact is the one I reach for for just about everything. I have a healthy stable of plastic bikes that are set up for racing, but they barely get ridden anymore outside of the few times I've pinned on a number this season. It's just a fun ride.

The Vamoots DR probably hasn't gotten a fair shake yet, because I've ridden the Compact so much and I favor more race-oriented rides. However, with the rain and otherwise less-than-optimal conditions lately, the disc brakes and wider tires of the DR are finally getting some use. It isn't snappy, but I can eat up the miles on it.

What I can say about both Moots is that they were made extremely well by a builder who takes pride in their work. The welds are beautiful, and it's obvious a lot of thought went into the respective designs.

I bought a Lynskey Urbano frameset to use as a gravel bike a year before I bought the Moots, and it's still hanging up, 95% finished. I just haven't been inspired to ride it yet. When you get right down to it, that should be the deciding factor- what inspires you to ride more.

I will say I hate press-fit bottom brackets and internal cable routing (especially on metal bikes), and since both of my Moots don't have these blemishes it will be a long, long time before I replace them.