PDA

View Full Version : Tubus Airy trunk bag

woolly
08-18-2018, 09:16 AM
Who makes a small, narrow trunk-type bag that works well enough with a Tubus Airy rack? I know it wasn't designed for this, but would be nice to add just a bit more conveniently-accessible storage for lightweight items.

jr59
08-18-2018, 09:27 AM
Arkel?

https://www.arkel-od.com/en/tailrider-bicycle-rack-bag.html

charliedid
08-18-2018, 10:36 AM
That will be tough. Even the Arkel is likely too wide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woolly
08-18-2018, 11:32 AM
Was envisioning using some type of bag intended for use on a small front rack (maybe?). But everything I've found by blindly crashing around seems to be a bit shorter and wider than optimal (since they're designed to fit on a rack footprint that's, well, shorter and narrower than an Airy - duh). This particular bag I'm seeking may indeed be a unicorn. . .

dustyrider
08-18-2018, 11:46 AM
Have you looked at ortlieb? They’re tight with Tubus!;)

woolly
08-18-2018, 11:55 AM
Have you looked at ortlieb? They’re tight with Tubus!;)

Yep. Ultimately what I'm looking for is a size XS or XXS version of their waterproof Pack Rack (which don't exist). That would match nicely with the waterproof Ortlieb roller small (front) panniers that I would use. Unfortunately, the size S of this bag/pack is much too long for the short Airy rack - almost double the length of the platform.

The Jandd Bike Bag may be a possibility, if it will mount securely enough. It's really a handlebar/saddle-mount bag, but is more the needed size.

dustyrider
08-18-2018, 12:00 PM
Yep. Ultimately what I'm looking for is a size XS or XXS version of their waterproof Pack Rack (which don't exist). That would match nicely with the waterproof Ortlieb roller small (front) panniers that I would use. Unfortunately, the size S of this bag/pack is much too long for the short Airy rack - almost double the length of the platform.

The Jandd Bike Bag may be a possibility, if it will mount securely enough. It's really a handlebar/saddle-mount bag, but is more the needed size.

I wouldn’t consider it a waste of time to reach out to Jandd or Ortlieb and see if they have heard of other consumer demand for such a product. If they’re not already considering something like it, there are so many custom bag builders out there you should be able to get something sewn up in a reasonable time.

woolly
08-18-2018, 12:09 PM
I wouldn’t consider it a waste of time to reach out to Jandd or Ortlieb and see if they have heard of other consumer demand for such a product. If they’re not already considering something like it, there are so many custom bag builders out there you should be able to get something sewn up in a reasonable time.

Yeah, that may be the route I ultimately have to take. Would probably see if Swift can customize a Bandito handlebar/saddle bag with some extra attachment for the rack. It's pretty much the right size & shape, and I could get it Navy to match my Ozette front bag that way too. Still going to search around a bit for something off-the-rack* before going custom. . .

* Awful, terrible pun. Just atrocious. . .

woolly
08-18-2018, 12:18 PM
Folks, we may have a winner - Lone Peak Micro Rack Pack RP-100

woolly
08-18-2018, 12:34 PM
Folks, we may have a winner - Lone Peak Micro Rack Pack RP-100

Or, thinking outside the box a bit more, maybe this . . Blackburn Outpost Top Tube Bag - https://www.amazon.com/Blackburn-OUTPOST-TOP-TUBE-BLACK/dp/B00NT8RXVO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1534613558&sr=8-2&keywords=blackburn+outpost+top+tube+bag

thwart
08-18-2018, 03:04 PM
That will be tough. Even the Arkel is likely too wide.

It is. I've tried.

Following this thread.