PDA

View Full Version : How do you say in French, "Old men who ride bicycles?"

BobC
08-17-2018, 08:47 PM
I don't know a lick of French, need an assist.

Google translate says "vieux hommes qui roulent des bicyclettes."

I suspect there is a better way to say it.

So, what is the proper way to say in French, "Old men who ride bicycles."

Thanks!

Cheers, Bob

Ken Robb
08-17-2018, 08:56 PM
Peter Chisolm.

mrvnmrvn
08-17-2018, 09:03 PM
vieillards à vélo

Old men on bikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never
08-18-2018, 05:02 AM
For plural: "les"; for old men: "vieux" (women: "vielles").

Les vieux cyclistes - (the old cyclists)
Les vieux coureurs - (the old cyclists)
Les vieux domestiques - (the old workers)
Les vieux grimpeurs - (the old climbers)
Les vieux puncheurs - (the old punchers)
Les vieux rouleurs - (the old all-rounders)
Les vieux sprinteurs - (the old sprinters)
Les vieux vélocipédeurs / vélocipédiers / vélocipédistes - (the old men riding even older bicycles)
Les vieux VSalonistes - (the old men who post 'over there' and wish they were a French any of the above)

sokyroadie
08-18-2018, 05:29 AM
Peter Chisolm.

:banana::banana::banana:

velotel
08-18-2018, 07:05 AM
Des vieux qui fond de vélos but that's also clearly referring to old people, as in emphasis on the old

oldpotatoe
08-18-2018, 07:37 AM
Peter ChisHolm.

FIFY and it's:)

Vecchi che vanno in bicicletta

French, pfffttt..not me, I'm, not this classy..

jr59
08-18-2018, 07:47 AM
Peter Chisolm.

:banana::banana::banana:

Both of these are pretty outstanding

:hello::hello:

Frankwurst
08-18-2018, 07:53 AM
Peter Chisolm.

Peter looks forward to building you a set of wheels Ken. ;)

Ken Robb
08-18-2018, 10:25 AM
Peter looks forward to building you a set of wheels Ken. ;)

I'm too old to need any more wheels.:)

Ronsonic
08-18-2018, 05:11 PM
Les Mamils.

Polyglot
08-19-2018, 12:04 AM
Les anciens qui roulent en vélo.

Polyglot
08-19-2018, 12:07 AM
Des vieux qui fond de vélos but that's also clearly referring to old people, as in emphasis on the old

If you want to be grammatically correct, it would be "des vieux qui font du vélo"

Fond is French for fund or for melt
Vélo needs not be pluralized
you say to do "du sport" not "de sport"

Polyglot
08-19-2018, 12:09 AM
FIFY and it's:)

Vecchi che vanno in bicicletta

French, pfffttt..not me, I'm, not this classy..

My preference in Italian would be

"vecchietti che girono in bici"

Never
08-19-2018, 02:12 AM
My preference in Italian would be

"vecchietti che girono in bici"

If you want to be orthographically correct, your preference would be "girano" with an a and not "girono" with two o's.

velotel
08-19-2018, 04:25 AM
If you want to be correct in italian, it would be the following

vecchi che fanno la bicicletta

Note that in the OP it was men, not man, thus the plural vecchi which is old men, also the verb form has to follow that format, as in plural

Never
08-19-2018, 05:34 AM
If you want to be correct in italian, it would be the following

vecchi che fanno la bicicletta

Note that in the OP it was men, not man, thus the plural vecchi which is old men, also the verb form has to follow that format, as in plural

That is also incorrect.
"Vecchi che fanno la bicicletta" translates (awkwardly) to "old men who make the bicycle".
So, maybe they are telaisti or meccanici, but in either case probably not riding around in groups while building/assembling the things.

oldpotatoe says he doesn't speak a word of Italian but his version is actually fine! He wrote, "Vecchi che vanno in bicicletta"...totally OK really.

"Old men who ride bicycles" in Italian, in the simplest way = "Vecchi (or vecchietti or anziani) che vanno (or girano) in bici (or bicicletta)".

oldpotatoe
08-19-2018, 07:20 AM
That is also incorrect.
"Vecchi che fanno la bicicletta" translates (awkwardly) to "old men who make the bicycle".
So, maybe they are telaisti or meccanici, but in either case probably not riding around in groups while building/assembling the things.

oldpotatoe says he doesn't speak a word of Italian but his version is actually fine! He wrote, "Vecchi che vanno in bicicletta"...totally OK really.

"Old men who ride bicycles" in Italian, in the simplest way = "Vecchi (or vecchietti or anziani) che vanno (or girano) in bici (or bicicletta)".

Google translate:)

'I only speak 2 languages, american and bad american'..with apologies to Bruce Wills in Diehard.

velotel
08-19-2018, 01:35 PM
That is also incorrect.

That's an oddity of french and italian, maybe spanish too, don't know on that, or at least an oddity to us, but that's how they say things like riding a bike, they're making the bike, making the ski, etc. My wife, french but of italian origins, or rather san marino origins, speaks italian fluently and she's the one who told me how to say it in italian. In french there is not a verb for 'to ride'. The way it is.

Never
08-19-2018, 02:20 PM
That's an oddity of french and italian, maybe spanish too, don't know on that, or at least an oddity to us, but that's how they say things like riding a bike, they're making the bike, making the ski, etc. My wife, french but of italian origins, or rather san marino origins, speaks italian fluently and she's the one who told me how to say it in italian. In french there is not a verb for 'to ride'. The way it is.

Yes, "faire du vélo" is common in French for "to ride a bicycle".

But "fare la bicicletta" to mean the same is really not correct in Italian. Maybe ages ago, but it would sound archaic, anachronistic and silly or pretentious today.

"Fare strada" (make way, as in travel); "fare la corsa" ((make the) race); "fare la gita" (make the trip); OK, but not "fare (fanno) la bicicletta" meaning "ride a bicycle".

If one says "fare la bici" to an Italian they will not think "going for a bicycle ride". They will think "making a bicycle"..."fatto con le mani" for instance. But modified as in, "fare una gita (un viaggio, una corsa, una giornata...) in bici"...totally OK then.

Again, "I vecchi che vanno (or girano) in bici" is completely fine.

Polyglot
08-19-2018, 03:53 PM
If you want to be orthographically correct, your preference would be "girano" with an a and not "girono" with two o's.

You are right, that is a typo on my part.

Polyglot
08-19-2018, 03:59 PM

I work as a translator by profession and your wife is mistaken. Never is perfectly correct.

In French, you can say "rouler en vélo" which literally means to roll on a bike.

monkeybanana86
08-19-2018, 04:03 PM
je m'appelle...

velotel
08-19-2018, 04:09 PM
I work as a translator by profession and your wife is mistaken. Never is perfectly correct.

In French, you can say "rouler en vélo" which literally means to roll on a bike.
Oh well, she's old like me, though not as old as me, so maybe a bit archaic. You can say that in french but I've never heard anyone say it, only faire du vélo which even after 24 years here makes me laugh. I make lots of mistakes in french never having formally learned it, especially with verb forms and feminine and masculine, but I'm considered conversationally fluent, which leaves lots of margin.

cmg
08-19-2018, 05:13 PM
googled the topic, this image came up

hartmmike
08-20-2018, 06:30 AM
I've got a jersey with that on it.

summilux
08-20-2018, 09:22 AM

In Quebec French, "pédaler à vélo" is more common, "rouler" is a bit more formal

Polyglot
08-20-2018, 11:56 AM
How about "balader à vélo." It has also come to me that in French there is a distinction between animals/objects that one straddles with the legs being outermost, where the most correct wording should be "router à vélo" and things where you do not straddle the object, or where your legs are circumscribed by the object, you then use "rouler en tricyclette" or "rouler en voibure". I have heard and read "rouler en vélo" but "rouler à vélo" is probably what the academia française would suggest.

BobC
08-21-2018, 01:03 PM
Thanks for all the input -- I didn't really realize that the phrase was so tricky.

Sooooo, is it:

Les vieux hommes qui faire du vélo

And can it be "velo" or is it the plural form (velos?). I don't want all the men riding just one bike but each to their own.

Thanks!

Cheers, Bob

summilux
08-21-2018, 02:05 PM
To me, "les vieux hommes" does not sound right (or respectful). "Les anciens" sounds better.

happycampyer
08-21-2018, 02:55 PM
Thanks for all the input -- I didn't really realize that the phrase was so tricky.

Sooooo, is it:

And can it be "velo" or is it the plural form (velos?). I don't want all the men riding just one bike but each to their own.

Thanks!

Cheers, BobIt would be “Le vieux hommes qui font du vélo”, but I agree with summilux that “les vieux hommes” sounds too formal. I liked mrvnmrvn’s suggestion of “vieillards”—“Les vieillards qui font du vélo.”

Not sure if it’s grammatically correct, but if this is a team name (and not something you are writing in a sentence), something shorter like “Les vieillards en vélos” might be better, but I’ll leave that to the experts.

BobC
08-21-2018, 03:02 PM
Yes, I am proposing putting on our new team kit. We are all 55+ next year.

oldpotatoe
08-21-2018, 04:52 PM

‘Vecchio Scorregio’...bastardized Italian, ‘old farts’...:) on our old fart jersey.

BobC
08-21-2018, 05:12 PM
‘Vecchio Scorregio’...bastardized Italian, ‘old farts’...:) on our old fart jersey.

Yes, that is the spirit of what I am after -- just the French version.

Cheers!

Never
08-22-2018, 01:06 AM
Sooooo, is it:

If this is going on a jersey, the simpler, more colloquial, less formal, the better.

"vieux" and "hommes" is redundant.
"Les vieux" already means "old men" ("Les vielles" = "old ladies") so "hommes" is really unnecessary.

For a cycling jersey, mrvnmrvn has the best suggestion in post 3:
"VIEILLARDS À VELO"
(or "VIEILLARDS EN VELOS", or even "VIEILLARDS DU VELO", whatever you prefer really; if some persnickety francophone turns up his nez at you, well, just répondre de la même façon...).

Those are short, simple, graphically good on a jersey, have nice alliteration, don't sound forced. K.I.S.S.

The ultimate French vieillard en velo, Robert Marchand, center with gloves, 103 in this photo (still going strong at 106, almost 2x your age!).

http://kep.cdn.index.hu/1/0/726/7264/72647/7264741_109897_dedf0585c84f482cd2351842fd77b8f1_wm .jpg

Never
08-22-2018, 01:25 AM
Maybe you know more Italian than you admit.

"Vecchio Scoreggia" or "Vecchio Scorreggia", or even "Vecchio Scureggia", initial "o" or "u", one or two "r"s, but always two "g"s, and always "a" at the end, not "o", would be perfect.

Kind of like pelOton and not pelEton.

You might be an old(male)potatoe, but the fart, scorreggia, is always feminine. Not that anyone would be wrinkling their nose at your jersey only over some slight misspelling though.

Polyglot
08-22-2018, 01:57 AM
How about "vieux pétards à vélo" that is about as close as you can get to old farts on bikes.

Talking about old farts, back when I lived in Treviso, I was a regular in the Pinarello shop and got to know Nane quite well. At the time, most of his bikes had the initials GPT (Giovanni Pinarello Treviso) on the seat stay caps. I told him that French riders would get a laugh out of the initials as in French it would read the same as "j'ai pété", which translates to "I farted".

oldpotatoe
08-22-2018, 07:33 AM
Maybe you know more Italian than you admit.

"Vecchio Scoreggia" or "Vecchio Scorreggia", or even "Vecchio Scureggia", initial "o" or "u", one or two "r"s, but always two "g"s, and always "a" at the end, not "o", would be perfect.

Kind of like pelOton and not pelEton.

You might be an old(male)potatoe, but the fart, scorreggia, is always feminine. Not that anyone would be wrinkling their nose at your jersey only over some slight misspelling though.

HA..thanks for all that..I wish I COULD speak Italian..always feminine..interesting..I guess scorreggia is really 'toot', not fart. :)

Never
08-22-2018, 09:17 AM
HA..thanks for all that..I wish I COULD speak Italian..always feminine..interesting..I guess scorreggia is really 'toot', not fart. :)

You mean toot like a horn?
No, the verb "scoreggiare" does mean "to fart", really. You were right the first time. I just meant the word (almost) always has an "a" at the end, not "o", unless used as a present verb: "I fart too much = Io scorreggio troppo". The conjugations get complex, but "Vecchio Scoreggia" is fine, ok.

For your brief viewing and listening pleasure, I guess some Italian tourist was visiting at some American zoo:
"L'incredibile scoreggia di un ippopotamo", aka "The incredible fart of a hippopotamus" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7Njd_7SWRk).

The comments are really very funny.
Enjoy.

Never
08-22-2018, 09:27 AM
Well, OK, then.

οὐ γὰρ φρονέουσι τοιαῦτα [οἱ] πολλοί, ὁκόσοι ἐγκυρεῦσιν, οὐδὲ μαθόντες γινώσκουσιν, ἑωυτοῖσι δὲ δοκέουσι.

Polyglot
08-22-2018, 02:11 PM
That's a good one!

Would look good on a jersey too, short, simple, the two "V"s, maybe play off them in the graphic, so it also reads "Vieux Velo", and like the VVs or Ws (graffiti short for "viva", victory) graffiti, seen all over Italy (and maybe France too), like "VV Forza Roma!".

VIEUX
PÉTARDS À
VÉLO

Could be pretty good with some work.

It is also a good play on the double meaning of pétards.

Pétards means firecrackers as well as farters.