PDA

View Full Version : Most well made single component you have worked on?

Cicli
08-17-2018, 05:52 PM
I just cleaned and greased a silvery set of Record hubs. These are very well made and a joy to work on. These still had the original white grease in them that was clean and in good order. But, I didnt know that and cleaned them up anyway. Phil grease it is.
How about you?

Jeff N.
08-17-2018, 06:10 PM
I did the same thing with a set of Fulcrum Racing Zero wheels/hubs and found those to be an outstanding design as well. Anything Chris King as well.

makoti
08-17-2018, 06:16 PM
I never had to do more than clean them up, but I built a few sets of wheels with Mavic hubs & those are my all time favorite bike part. So smooth, so fast.

verbs4us
08-17-2018, 06:28 PM
Suntour Superbe Pro rear derailleur. I shed a tear at "progress" since then.

pinkshogun
08-17-2018, 06:39 PM
ultegra 6500 hubs. respoked a few times but never touched the hub adjustment

Louis
08-17-2018, 06:40 PM
Ultegra Octalink bottom bracket (don't remember the exact model code) that is currently on my daily driver.

That thing's been running forever, through all sorts of conditions, with no complaints at all.

nesteel
08-17-2018, 07:13 PM
Huret Duopar Titanium rear derailleur.

echelon_john
08-17-2018, 07:15 PM
Phil rear cassette hub. Just so perfectly made; will be around with the cockroaches and Keith Richards when the world ends.

huck*this
08-17-2018, 09:05 PM
Look ZED2 crankset. True work of art to ride, service, and look at. All cranksets should be made this way.

https://www.pezcyclingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/look_cranks.jpg

FlashUNC
08-17-2018, 09:10 PM
Ee brakes. Everything is really well thought out.

buddybikes
08-17-2018, 09:17 PM
King headset - wipe and done

oliver1850
08-17-2018, 11:12 PM
I just cleaned and greased a silvery set of Record hubs. These are very well made and a joy to work on. These still had the original white grease in them that was clean and in good order. But, I didnt know that and cleaned them up anyway. Phil grease it is.
How about you?

Pretty lofty target to shoot down. I can only beat it on value, as Daytona/Centaur hubs were virtually the same at half(?) the cost. There was a 20 gram difference in weight...

osbk67
08-17-2018, 11:55 PM
Nuovo/Super/C-Record rear derailleur. Completely serviceable down to the parallelogram pins and bushes. I put together a rear derailleur using assorted new component parts from all three which served me well for years and remains in great condition waiting patiently for its next new old frame...

d_douglas
08-18-2018, 12:02 AM
King stuff is really beautiful and complex.

DT stuff is really beautiful and simple.

I recently sold a White Industries ENO rear wheel and that hub was pretty slick.

joosttx
08-18-2018, 12:11 AM
Dynaplug. They are not a bike part but the plugging device for tubeless tires. Their cnc and attention to detail is incredible.

mktng
08-18-2018, 05:51 AM
Ill have to second the ultegra sealed octalink bb. Also have it on my daily commuter. Its been submerged in water. Ridden through winters salt. Beat on daily through all weather. Just keeps on trucking. Spins smooth and doesnt cost an arm and a leg to buy or replace.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
08-18-2018, 07:56 AM
But this ERA really sublime.

jr59
08-18-2018, 08:30 AM
:cool:

Bob Ross
08-18-2018, 10:00 AM
https://www.pezcyclingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/look_cranks.jpg

What am I looking at there? is he actually installing the crankset with the non-driveside arm installed?!?!

Gummee
08-18-2018, 11:04 AM
What am I looking at there? is he actually installing the crankset with the non-driveside arm installed?!?!

Yeah, that's Look's proprietary crank. 1-pc crankset

M

yarg
08-18-2018, 12:28 PM
JR59 - What watch is that, it is nice!

bicycletricycle
08-18-2018, 01:18 PM
All nitto parts

MattTuck
08-18-2018, 01:27 PM
I've been pretty impressed with Dave Kirk's drop out/derailleur hanger... not sure if that is considered a component for the purposes of this thread. But I think it contributes immensely to shifting crispness.

jr59
08-18-2018, 01:57 PM
JR59 - What watch is that, it is nice!

It’s a RGM. Made by the best whatmaker in the world, right here in the USA.

Bentley
08-18-2018, 02:30 PM

Not everyone is gonna know what that is...nice

Gummee
08-18-2018, 02:31 PM
I have a hard time with 'best.' but one of the tops has to be the old Specialized/Sansin hubs.

Great looks. Great bearings

M

crankles
08-18-2018, 02:34 PM
King headset - wipe and done

this shouldn't even count. the OP specified "worked on" ;)
CK headsets have got to be the most maintenance free components I have ever owned. I have one on a 1993 Specialized M2 that still needs zero attention.

Matthew
08-18-2018, 02:38 PM
Cane Creek 110 headsets are pretty stellar. Install, adjust, never think about again!

oldpotatoe
08-18-2018, 02:57 PM

A Look Ashtabula crankset!!!

oldpotatoe
08-18-2018, 02:58 PM

No doubt it’s great if you rec it but geez, not very pretty...:)

texbike
08-18-2018, 03:04 PM
This one is easy for me - 740x Dura Ace rear derailleur. They're just so beautifully finished and work perfectly.

2cam

Basso69
08-18-2018, 03:42 PM
Phil Woods rear hub, no maintenance and still going strong after 20 years

zzy
08-18-2018, 03:47 PM
I agree on the Japanese made 7402 and 7700 - the finish was incredible, the components were bulletproof, service was easy and predictable. For such light parts they worked, and continue to work, staggeringly well. People love to complain about the 7700 BB but setup right it was the smoothest spinning splined BB ever made.

mcteague
08-18-2018, 04:49 PM
https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697965183&stc=1&d=1534598999

Tim

jr59
08-18-2018, 05:43 PM
https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697965183&stc=1&d=1534598999

Tim

Lol at you guys. Peter you have seen it live. I wore it to your shop when I visited.
The dial is engine turned on a machine that is over 100 years old. It is very cool and hard to photograph for the details.

bikinchris
08-18-2018, 07:33 PM
When I was racing, I enjoyed track racing. I am a big guy and there is no way I could ever compete in races with hills.
When I was putting together my track bike I was able to get my dream parts because I was working as the head mechanic at a bike shop. Sheriff star hubs with Matrix ISO tubular rims that were lovingly built by me, Record track headset, seatpost, steel track bars.
But I was most impressed with the bottom bracket and crankset. Easily the most gorgeous crankset ever made.
So, I chased the bottom bracket threads, faced the frame and mounted the bottom bracket with loose balls, mounted the drive side crank and adjusted it very carefully. Then I mounted the non drive crank arm and spun the cranks. I walked over to the water fountain and came back and they were still spinning.

tuscanyswe
08-18-2018, 07:47 PM
When I was racing, I enjoyed track racing. I am a big guy and there is no way I could ever compete in races with hills.
When I was putting together my track bike I was able to get my dream parts because I was working as the head mechanic at a bike shop. Sheriff star hubs with Matrix ISO tubular rims that were lovingly built by me, Record track headset, seatpost, steel track bars.
But I was most impressed with the bottom bracket and crankset. Easily the most gorgeous crankset ever made.
So, I chased the bottom bracket threads, faced the frame and mounted the bottom bracket with loose balls, mounted the drive side crank and adjusted it very carefully. Then I mounted the non drive crank arm and spun the cranks. I walked over to the water fountain and came back and they were still spinning.

I can somehow related to this, even tho i dont have a similar story i can feel what you felt .)

m4rk540
08-18-2018, 07:49 PM
Super Record Headset

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-CAMPAGNOLO-SUPER-RECORD-HEADSET-ITALIAN-THREAD-25-4-x-24-MINT/253817918895?hash=item3b18ba15af:g:vOkAAOSwQeVbdaF H

buddybikes
08-18-2018, 09:09 PM
Since we now have extended into watches, how about a well made mechanical clock! (ps: those RGM's are pretty, wish I could have an 801, guess I will keep my old Hamilton...

PSJoyce
08-18-2018, 09:50 PM
For me, the old Campy and Mavic hubs -- and all of the C-Record era. My full C-Record group cost $450 in the day. Well, maybe not the original Syncro, but I'd substitute in Simplex Retrofriction shifters.

GregL
08-18-2018, 10:01 PM
Anything from a Dura Ace 7800 group. It was the easiest group I ever found to set up. Everything worked perfectly the first time. And it continued to work well as long as I had it (seven full seasons). Perfect shifting, perfect braking, and 100% reliable. 7700 may have been more elegant, but 7800 worked perfectly. I skipped 7900 and 9000 certainly works well enough, but 7800 was (for me) the high water mark for Dura Ace.

Greg

Clancy
08-19-2018, 08:10 AM
Does a Serotta Ottrott frame count as a component?

oldpotatoe
08-19-2018, 08:14 AM
Another post from me, sorry but I just worked on a guys old Gitane, with older Suntour stuff on it...not the brands but the 'system'...friction shifters and 'banana cutter' brake housing, cup and ball BB...dreamy to use, way easy to set up...works...

Tommasini53
08-19-2018, 09:17 PM
Campy Record hubs have always been a joy to work on. The Mini-Moto brakeset I installed on my gravel bike are very nicely designed. I would say Chris King headsets...but I've never had to work on one :)

bikinchris
08-19-2018, 10:46 PM
Another post from me, sorry but I just worked on a guys old Gitane, with older Suntour stuff on it...not the brands but the 'system'...friction shifters and 'banana cutter' brake housing, cup and ball BB...dreamy to use, way easy to set up...works...

Every few years a guy brings in his Raleigh 753 with record components for a complete overhaul. I enjoy taking my Campy tools out and doing the complete overhaul with new grease and balls and the bike fits me too! Test ride heaven!

buddybikes
08-20-2018, 05:40 AM
>>>with new grease

Do you use authentic campy white grease? I actually just found my container half full, from the 1980's. Last me till I am 10 ft under

bikinchris
08-20-2018, 07:22 AM
>>>with new grease

Do you use authentic campy white grease? I actually just found my container half full, from the 1980's. Last me till I am 10 ft under

Not in South Louisiana. White lithium grease quickly gets saturated with humidity and bakes to hard, useless concrete.

El Chaba
08-20-2018, 08:10 AM
There are quite a few, but here are a few to start that always impress me:
1) the Campagnolo "2006" hubs (silver oversize alloy axle) are incredibly designed, light, smooth durable, easy to service. It's no wonder that they command incredible-and growing-prices on ebay.
2) Campagnolo Record/Chorus Ergopower levers. My vote is for the earlier 9 speed levers with the pointy hoods and alloy brake blades...They are an ingenious design, function perfectly and combine great materials, design and workmanship. the one design "flaw" is the g-springs/carrier that will eventually wear, but these parts are replaceable and inexpensive. I think the 10 speed levers aren't far behind and share the same basic design, but the internals are slightly more complicated/lighter materials introduced. I love them but I do think the high point was slightly earlier.
3) turning back the clock a bit earlier, Maxi Car hubs are incredible pieces of design/execution. The bearing quality is incredible and they seem to last forever. The sealing system is the most effective that I have ever seen on a bike part and is comprised of an ingenious system of shaped washers that fit together forming a virtually impenetrable labyrinth. Phil Wood x4.

torquer
08-20-2018, 01:25 PM
I’ve got no complaints about the Cane Creek headsets on my last few bikes, but Stronglight roller bearings headsets were better than anything else on the market when I was racing (and crashing regularly) during the 80’s.
This doesn’t exactly answer the OP’s question, since these didn’t need to be “worked on,” but other headsets of the time were practically disposables, replaced as often as chains or bar tape. At least that’s how I remember it.

avalonracing
08-20-2018, 01:36 PM
The most well made components I ever worked on... never needed to be worked on. Ringle Superbubba MTB front hub and Suntour XC9000 hubs. I put them through thousands of miles and they were underwater in streams many times and they just keep spinning smoothly. I'd still probably be using them if they weren't made somewhat obsolete by bigger wheels with fewer spokes and disc brakes.

zap
08-20-2018, 03:50 PM
Mavic 841 & ZAP rear derailleurs.

Phil Wood bottom brackets.

Campy SR 11 rear derailleur.

choke
08-20-2018, 07:53 PM
Bullseye hubs. I've had a lot of other hubs that were well made and gave me no problems but nothing else I've ever owned rolls as smooth as the Bullseyes.

coreydoesntknow
08-20-2018, 08:06 PM
This hearkens back to my bike shop days, but Profile BMX hubs are probably some of the most well built I've ever put my hands on

martl
08-21-2018, 03:45 AM
Its hard to judge quality of build by just looking at one specimen, some parts may look nice and solid, but still be fabricated with randomized tolerances etc. Othery may look flimsy but may be dsigned with just the strength needed for the job.

Judging by durability and refusal to malfunction, i'll nominate the very unsexy Dura Ace 7400, which is close to indestructible.

CaptStash
08-21-2018, 09:43 AM
Remembering that this is specific to parts I have worked on, I have to go with Dura Ace 7800 hubs. Simple, elegant and after adjustment, like buttah.

CaptStash....

Dave Wages
08-21-2018, 10:55 AM
From the wayback machine, I'd say the Mavic 305 headset, such a clever design, super clean and easy to maintain in an era of crappy headsets.

https://www.steel-vintage.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/a/mavic-305-vintage-headset-3.jpg

For modern parts, I'd say HED's Belgium rims, they start out so straight and round that the wheels practically build themselves, such a pleasure.

jlwdm
08-21-2018, 08:33 PM

Let's change that to best watchmaker in the US.

Jeff

jr59
08-21-2018, 10:10 PM
Let's change that to best watchmaker in the US.

Jeff

Incorrect. When Patek has a watch they want restored, they send it to a guy who was the youngest to EVER heat their complications division. His name is Rolland Murphy, and he lives in Pa. and owns RGM!

That is not a title I have given him, it is a very accepted title the watchmaking community gave him. Who am I to argue.

El Chaba
08-22-2018, 06:38 AM
From the wayback machine, I'd say the Mavic 305 headset, such a clever design, super clean and easy to maintain in an era of crappy headsets.

https://www.steel-vintage.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/a/mavic-305-vintage-headset-3.jpg

For modern parts, I'd say HED's Belgium rims, they start out so straight and round that the wheels practically build themselves, such a pleasure.

Great headsets. These were made by Stronglight and sent to Mavic who completed the fine polished finish and applied the graphics, etc. They're very similar to the Strong light X-12 except that they used traditional balls instead of roller bearings...

soulspinner
08-22-2018, 07:02 AM

A billion years ago raced on Suntour Superbe. Like a Duracell battery...….

weiwentg
08-22-2018, 01:32 PM

Phil Wood bottom brackets.

I installed a Phil BB 10 years ago, then uninstalling it to sell it (because upgraded to modern cranks). That bike has seen quite a few miles, albeit not many rainy ones. Still, the bearings didn't feel worn at all. So, Phil would be my answer to the question.

benb
08-22-2018, 02:34 PM
If you've gotta restrict my selection to bike stuff it'd have to have been my Serotta Concours frame.

The damn thing didn't fit me but it was a cut above all the other frames I've owned... clearly better tolerances in manufacturing. Only frame I've worked on where I could turn the BB in by hand until final torquing. Built to last since it was Ti.

Almost no components strike me as designed simply and practically to be particularly elegant. They're all overly complicated or have some dumb achilles heel. Way too many bike components seem to have a designed in failure mileage/hour and/or have forced obsolescence built in.

Traditional watches don't qualify for me as they're generally beautiful pieces of handcrafted work that ignore the fact that they are mimicking an old fashioned design that is inefficient in this day and age. Make that RGM solar instead of mechanical and figure out a way to make it run without service for 500 years and that'll be way more impressive. (Constant needs for service and poor accuracy seems to be the achilles heel of mechanical watches.)

Some musical instruments qualify for me.

spacemen3
08-22-2018, 03:12 PM
Shimano XT SL-M732 thumbshifters were about perfect.

KidWok
08-22-2018, 03:59 PM
+1 on the Ultegra Octalink and also the similar Dura Ace track version with the steel cups...never had to worry about the latter seizing in a ti frame.

+1 on 7800...I still use it on several of my favorite bikes.

+1 on 6500 hubs and any other open bearing hubs...loved cleaning those things out and repacking them.

Any of the Shimano pedals I've owned with labyrinth grease seal except the cheaper ones with plastic seal. Repacking those is satisfying.

Praxis rings...always feel better replacing cheap milled rings with nice forged ones.

Brass nips...'cus I'm not always worried about rounding them.

Fizik Bar tape and bar gel

10s Chorus alloy group...that whole thing was perfect similar to 7800.

Tai