PDA

View Full Version : Chain too short?

Cicli
08-17-2018, 07:08 AM
So,
I am well versed in proper chain sizing. If I had a new chain, it would be proper.

I just changed a cassette and went up a few teeth in the rear. Gently by hand I tried big-big which I would not run anyway. I dont have another 9 speed chain on hand so...... It will go big-big no problem and if I oush the rear cage forward, there is slack enough but its short to my liking. What does the collective think? Will it run okay while the new chain is on the way?
I do have a new 10s chain. Maybe that will be okay?
Thoughts?

Tony T
08-17-2018, 07:16 AM
If you have enough slack and there is no chance of damage in big-big if shifted there accidentally, then you should be ok until the new chain arrives.

oldpotatoe
08-17-2018, 07:25 AM
So,
I am well versed in proper chain sizing. If I had a new chain, it would be proper.

I just changed a cassette and went up a few teeth in the rear. Gently by hand I tried big-big which I would not run anyway. I dont have another 9 speed chain on hand so...... It will go big-big no problem and if I oush the rear cage forward, there is slack enough but its short to my liking. What does the collective think? Will it run okay while the new chain is on the way?
I do have a new 10s chain. Maybe that will be okay?
Thoughts?

Big-big ok and it shifts well..go ride. Match chain to cogs..9s->9s, 10s->10s..

weisan
08-17-2018, 07:45 AM
I knew I am the wrong person to answer this.

I do this all the time.

New chain

Old chain.

Doesn't matter to me, I still do it.

Told you I am the wrong person.

oldpotatoe
08-17-2018, 07:50 AM
I knew I am the wrong person to answer this.

I do this all the time.

New chain

Old chain.

Doesn't matter to me, I still do it.

Told you I am the wrong person.

You drinkin again in the morning -'pal'? AM ale?

Dude
08-17-2018, 09:32 AM
I agree with what everyone else said regarding big-big. While you're at it check small-small and make sure the chain isn't too long.

Cicli
08-17-2018, 11:54 AM
Well,
New cassette and cables were giving me shifting fits. The chain that was on it looked and measured good. I finally had enough and pulled out a fresh 11 speed KMC and threw it on just to see how much worse it would or would not be. Shifting is perfect up and down, front and back.
Moral of the story, 11 speed KMC chains work fine with 9 speed Campagnolo. It likely wont stay as I have the proper chain on the way but......... I will ride it today. :banana: