PDA

View Full Version : Light and computer incompatale

roadie7
08-16-2018, 05:40 AM
I bought a Cateye Padrone computer, installed it and it worked fine in the afternoon. The next morning on my ride with my Nitrider 750 Lumina light on, it didn't work and I couldn't figure out how I messed up the computer install. I talked to the great folks at Cateye who instantly diagnosed the problem that the light was sending off waves that messed up the computer. The great folks at Niterider agreed so I'm waiting for the helmet mount for the light because both companies said that would solve the problem.

Has anyone else had this or a related problem?

Plum Hill
08-16-2018, 05:49 AM
I had a Vetta V100 go bonkers on me in Switzerland years ago. All was fine, then speed and cadence went sky high. After a while, it went back to normal. Little later, bonkers again.
Turned out it was interference from the ultra high voltage electric railroad. The bonkers episodes happened when the road swung right next to the tracks. Got away from them and all was normal.

palincss
08-16-2018, 05:52 AM
And I've had two different models of wireless computers register speed -- 35 mph for one, 65 mph on the other -- while standing at an intersection waiting for a red light to change. In the latter case, I gained around 2 miles on the odometer before the light changed.

mdeth1313
08-16-2018, 05:52 AM
I can't believe this is still an issue. I had it years ago (like 2004) with a Polar and SigmaSport.

Since I switched to Garmin (when the 305 came out) never had that issue again.

charliedid
08-16-2018, 07:17 AM
I bought a Cateye Padrone computer, installed it and it worked fine in the afternoon. The next morning on my ride with my Nitrider 750 Lumina light on, it didn't work and I couldn't figure out how I messed up the computer install. I talked to the great folks at Cateye who instantly diagnosed the problem that the light was sending off waves that messed up the computer. The great folks at Niterider agreed so I'm waiting for the helmet mount for the light because both companies said that would solve the problem.

I've always known about interference but this is good to know considering we sell both products.

Thanks

Bob Ross
08-16-2018, 08:24 AM

I had almost the exact same problem -- it was a Lumina 650, and a much older CateEye wireless, from circa 2006 -- but yeah, same results.

oldpotatoe
08-16-2018, 08:26 AM
I had a Vetta V100 go bonkers on me in Switzerland years ago. All was fine, then speed and cadence went sky high. After a while, it went back to normal. Little later, bonkers again.
Turned out it was interference from the ultra high voltage electric railroad. The bonkers episodes happened when the road swung right next to the tracks. Got away from them and all was normal.

Yikes, what's all this stuff doin' to yer insides? :eek:

Ozz
08-16-2018, 08:36 AM
I had that problem about 10+ yrs ago with an old L&M HID headlight and a Ciclo computer....

No issues with LED lights used, but I don't have a computer on my bike any more, just apps on my phone that track everything, and the phone is in my pocket.

Bradford
08-16-2018, 09:08 AM
I'm surprised that it is still in issue with the Lumina lights, but I guess one of the reason you pay so little for such a nice light is that they save on shielding.

Because of this issue, I switched from Cateye Double Wireless computers to Cateye Digital Wireless units I picked up on ebay, which work perfectly with the Lumina lights. As a bonus, I now have heart rate with the new units. I run a Lumina 750 on four bikes with Digital Wireless computers and all work perfectly.

AngryScientist
08-16-2018, 09:11 AM
funny related story:

when my wife and i had our first kiddo, the wifi in the house would drop out at night. badly.

i was convinced we had a slow connection that was getting slower due to peak hours and everyone using internet at the same time in the evening.

called the cable company and complained a few times.

long story short, after much frustration, it was the baby monitor interfering with the wifi. only happed at night since that was the only time we had the baby monitor on.

well, that was a good laugh when we figured it out, ha.

jruhlen1980
08-16-2018, 10:04 AM
That was one of several issues I had with the Year 9 Lezyne Super GPS -- mileage would go haywire when I rode near road construction sites. I assumed there was something electronic at the site putting off interference, but never figured out what it was. (Lezyne customer support wasn't much help).

Ozz
08-16-2018, 11:00 AM
FCC 15.19(a)(3), “This device complies with part 15 of the FCC Rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions: (1) This device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.”

https://f2labs.com/fcc-part-15

:beer:

chiasticon
08-16-2018, 11:05 AM
never had this issue but there's a local radio (or cell) tower that kills everyone's ANT+ connections to their Garmins. pretty funny too as it's at the end of a long climb-ey Strava segment, when everyone's red-lined then suddenly goes "what, where's my watts!?!"

C40_guy
08-16-2018, 11:22 AM
And I've had two different models of wireless computers register speed -- 35 mph for one, 65 mph on the other -- while standing at an intersection waiting for a red light to change. In the latter case, I gained around 2 miles on the odometer before the light changed.

That's one way to get to the leaderboard on Strava. :)