PDA

View Full Version : Portland Bicycle Trade Show?

Steve Hampsten
10-31-2006, 12:23 PM
Does this mean we won't have to go to Las Vegas? And I can drive there? And stay in a decent hotel, eat decent food, and not be assaulted by cigarette smoke every twenty feet? Bring it on!

Oct 30th by Carlton Reid
According to some trade insiders, the Eurobike trade show of Germany has surpassed Interbike Las Vegas as 'the' global bicycle trade show, partly because it's a month earlier than Interbike. To capitalize on this possible dominance, the Friedrichshafen-owned trade show is to create a satellite expo in...Portland, Oregon.

Jonathan Maus of the Bike-Portland blog said the "big secret" is out. Messe Friedrichshafen had been in talks with Portland city officials and the German bike trade show is planning to stage a US trade show in September 2007.

"This is huge news for Portland," said Maus. Portland is one of the most bike-friendly cities in America and is close to MTB resorts with ski-lift facilties.

Portland cycle shop owner Jay Graves knew of the plans but didn't think they were ready for public consumption. However, Messe Friedrichshafen went public with its plans today.

On p. 48 of November's BikeBiz magazine, out last week, a photo caption mooted that a trade show move on Portland, Oregon, was on the cards. This comment was added because BikeBiz had heard rumours about an industry show in Portland but there wasn't enough hard info to make a full story.

Messe Friedrichshafen has now confirmed it is to stage the show we'd heard rumours about. The show is as yet unnamed and the dates have yet to be revealed apart from the fact it will be sometime in September. It will probably be held in the Oregon Convention Centre, the largest expo centre in the Pacific Northwest.

Messe Friedrichshafen, a town-owned expo company, said the Portland show announcement is "in response to indications that current US bicycle trade shows will no longer be able to fulfil domestic industry demands."

Erich Reiss, general manager for international sales for Messe Friedrichshafen, and initiator of the planned bicycle trade exhibition, (a part-time resident in Oregon) said:

"Portland offers ideal conditions, including bike parks in the immediate vicinity of the venue where integrated test ride days will be held. I'm confident that the biking community will feel very much at home there."

Rolf Mohne, Messe Friedrichshafen's MD, said:

"Our aim is to transfer the winning components of Eurobike to the new trade exhibition, while adapting them to the US market."

Eurobike has stumped up the cash to sponsor April's Sea Otter Classic, held in Monterey, California.

BikeBiz.com has asked Eurobike whether the 'USAbike' show will have a public day. No response has been received yet. Eurobike in Friedrichshafen opens its doors to the public on the Sunday of the show.

In terms of website links, GoogleFight shows that Interbike can knock the stuffing out of Eurobike.

coylifut
10-31-2006, 12:41 PM
[QUOTE=Steve Hampsten]Does this mean we won't have to go to Las Vegas? And I can drive there? And stay in a decent hotel, eat decent food, and not be assaulted by cigarette smoke every twenty feet? Bring it on!

QUOTE]

More importantly, you can go for a decent bike ride while you are here. Do you industry types actually have time to ride during these trade events?

J.Greene
10-31-2006, 12:45 PM
Does this mean we won't have to go to Las Vegas? And I can drive there? And stay in a decent hotel, eat decent food, and not be assaulted by cigarette smoke every twenty feet? Bring it on!

I wonder what this means for the NAHBS?

JG

Archibald
10-31-2006, 12:56 PM
I wonder what this means for the NAHBS?

JG
East is East and West is West and never the twains shall meet.

Should have no more effect on NAHBS than Interbike does.

72gmc
10-31-2006, 12:57 PM
it's not good for us Northwesterners as far as NAHBS is concerned. Check out the story here (http://bikeportland.org/2006/10/31/eurobike-portland-means-no-nahbs/). Don, if you're reading, I'm sorry you won't be up here where I might be able to attend.

Steve Hampsten
10-31-2006, 01:01 PM
Perhaps it would make sense to hold them both in Portland as two halves of the same event?

I would love to see the Portland show focus more on the smaller end of the industry and with an emphasis on products made in the US. Leave Las Vegas to the Giants and Specializeds and Treks, say I.

72gmc
10-31-2006, 01:02 PM
hear, hear. Hear, hear, hear, hear.

J.Greene
10-31-2006, 01:06 PM
East is East and West is West and never the twains shall meet.

Should have no more effect on NAHBS than Interbike does.

I hope not. It's expensive to attend these events, decisions could be made to favor one over another. I'm hoping Don's nitch remains Don's and things are business as usual. Don deserves some credit for what he has done.

JG

Archibald
10-31-2006, 01:10 PM

Oct 30th by Carlton Reid
According to some trade insiders, the Eurobike trade show of Germany has surpassed Interbike Las Vegas as 'the' global bicycle trade show, partly because it's a month earlier than Interbike. To capitalize on this possible dominance, the Friedrichshafen-owned trade show is to create a satellite expo in...Portland, Oregon.

Jonathan Maus of the Bike-Portland blog said the "big secret" is out. Messe Friedrichshafen had been in talks with Portland city officials and the German bike trade show is planning to stage a US trade show in September 2007.

"This is huge news for Portland," said Maus. Portland is one of the most bike-friendly cities in America and is close to MTB resorts with ski-lift facilties.

Portland cycle shop owner Jay Graves knew of the plans but didn't think they were ready for public consumption. However, Messe Friedrichshafen went public with its plans today.

On p. 48 of November's BikeBiz magazine, out last week, a photo caption mooted that a trade show move on Portland, Oregon, was on the cards. This comment was added because BikeBiz had heard rumours about an industry show in Portland but there wasn't enough hard info to make a full story.

Messe Friedrichshafen has now confirmed it is to stage the show we'd heard rumours about. The show is as yet unnamed and the dates have yet to be revealed apart from the fact it will be sometime in September. It will probably be held in the Oregon Convention Centre, the largest expo centre in the Pacific Northwest.

Messe Friedrichshafen, a town-owned expo company, said the Portland show announcement is "in response to indications that current US bicycle trade shows will no longer be able to fulfil domestic industry demands."

Erich Reiss, general manager for international sales for Messe Friedrichshafen, and initiator of the planned bicycle trade exhibition, (a part-time resident in Oregon) said:

"Portland offers ideal conditions, including bike parks in the immediate vicinity of the venue where integrated test ride days will be held. I'm confident that the biking community will feel very much at home there."

Rolf Mohne, Messe Friedrichshafen's MD, said:

"Our aim is to transfer the winning components of Eurobike to the new trade exhibition, while adapting them to the US market."

Eurobike has stumped up the cash to sponsor April's Sea Otter Classic, held in Monterey, California.

BikeBiz.com has asked Eurobike whether the 'USAbike' show will have a public day. No response has been received yet. Eurobike in Friedrichshafen opens its doors to the public on the Sunday of the show.

In terms of website links, GoogleFight shows that Interbike can knock the stuffing out of Eurobike.

I am jumping up & down with joy!

IMHO, Interbike has become intractable for vendors and they have long since forgotten who their customers are. Forcing you to use the GES which is akin to a mafia racket and all the BS that goes with it, plus the fact that it's held in the most fetid cesspool in North America had already caused me to decide that I'm washing my hands of them. They'll never get another penny of booth money from me.

I hope Eurobike pulls this off and I hope they can do it without the Machivillian bureaucracy of Interbike and GES. If nothing else, the sting of a little competition is sure to improve them!

:banana:

Steve Hampsten
10-31-2006, 01:26 PM
Not to take anything away from Don, but Portland has already shown they can put on a decent little framebuilder's show of their own. I would almost expect the Portland Trade Show to have a handmade area of it's own - maybe not as big as NAHBS, but I bet it would grow.

"Fetid cesspool" indeed.

Do you think we could get tired of drinking quality micro-brews every night? I guess we could switch to Willamette Valley reds...

Archibald
10-31-2006, 02:04 PM
it's not good for us Northwesterners as far as NAHBS is concerned. Check out the story here (http://bikeportland.org/2006/10/31/eurobike-portland-means-no-nahbs/). Don, if you're reading, I'm sorry you won't be up here where I might be able to attend.
Jesus. That is incredibly short sighted.

Archibald
10-31-2006, 02:21 PM
I hope not. It's expensive to attend these events, decisions could be made to favor one over another. I'm hoping Don's nitch remains Don's and things are business as usual. Don deserves some credit for what he has done.

JG
I feel you & agree.

But.

It shouldn't work that. Not saying it won't, but the shows draw different vendors. Custom builder's don't typically diplay at Interbike (though the ones that do tend to be successful). Folks like IF display there, but they work through dealers so they have to.

NAHBS has to attract its own public and pull its own weight. Saying "We’d be known as that other show’ and I see that a major negative.” in my mind shows a lack of professional self-esteem and confidence, and a lack of awareness on who the competition really is. The bicycle industry in itself, and the industry shows are not NAHBS' competition. Custom builders never compete with the industry and mass manufacturers. They rely on it and they complement each other. Neither can make money doing what the other does without becoming the other.

If Eurobike USA stays an industry show, NAHBS could capitalize on that by virtue of it being a public show and see a tremendous increase in foot traffic. If Eurobike USA opens its doors to the public for one day, it just wets the appetite, and in my opinion, will stimulate growth for both NAHBS and the small and custom builder. Either way, having them both at such a prime location, at the same time, but at seperate venues, would make it easier for vendors to attend both. NAHBS would retain and continue to develop its own identity. To write off Portland, with its huge cycling community and a hotbed of small builders, is a mistake. What is going to attract small and custom builders to the show (and which in turn attracts the public) is the exposure they'll get from it. More traffic equals more vendors which equals more traffic.

NAHBS will only be diluted by the Eurobikes and Interbikes if it tries to become one.

Serpico
10-31-2006, 02:28 PM
nahbs + pdx = coulda been sweet

:(

William
10-31-2006, 03:20 PM
You could always run a concurrent show at the Portland Expo center.

http://www.expocenter.org/about.htm

And PIR is just up the street. Talk about a great place to test ride some bikes. Monday and Tuesday night races. Plus you might be able to arrange access during the event.

http://www.portlandraceway.com/location.asp

PDX is the perfect place for both. atmo of course.

William

Serotta PETE
10-31-2006, 03:41 PM
I'll be there but you will have to get me in (BETWEEN BIKE RIDES)

PETE

Perhaps it would make sense to hold them both in Portland as two halves of the same event?

I would love to see the Portland show focus more on the smaller end of the industry and with an emphasis on products made in the US. Leave Las Vegas to the Giants and Specializeds and Treks, say I.

OldDog
10-31-2006, 03:42 PM
Allentown would welcome the NAHBS.

(as a suggested location by Don in the article)

Vancouverdave
10-31-2006, 03:45 PM
It'll be the first trade show I've been to since 1994. Besides good riding, eating, and drinking, save half a day for bookstores! And no flying time for the many, many bike industry people on the I-5 corridor. And, for those of us who aren't road racer/tourist/commuter types, there's a skate park under the Burnside Bridge about 1.5 KM from the convention center.

stevep
10-31-2006, 04:04 PM
It’s a stupid idea.
Go head to head with a well established industry show and force vendors to choose one venue or the other?
This was attempted some years ago ( remember bio ) and went down in loud flames and lost a lot of cash.
No offence to my northwest neighbors and I know the riding , the cross and the living is way better up there that in the most horrendous of us cities, las vegas.
But Portland is a plane ride away from 98.5% of the American bike industry…
These idiots planning this thing ( respectfully ) would have a tiny shot if they put the thing in Denver in November…. As it is they will host a local ghost town.. and they should name it “ the greater Portland bike expo …”

This thing in no way will affect the handmade bike show. This is a small group on the fringe of the industry really. Separate entity.

cpg
10-31-2006, 04:04 PM
I feel you & agree.

But.

It shouldn't work that. Not saying it won't, but the shows draw different vendors. Custom builder's don't typically diplay at Interbike (though the ones that do tend to be successful). Folks like IF display there, but they work through dealers so they have to.

NAHBS has to attract its own public and pull its own weight. Saying "We’d be known as that other show’ and I see that a major negative.” in my mind shows a lack of professional self-esteem and confidence, and a lack of awareness on who the competition really is. The bicycle industry in itself, and the industry shows are not NAHBS' competition. Custom builders never compete with the industry and mass manufacturers. They rely on it and they complement each other. Neither can make money doing what the other does without becoming the other.

If Eurobike USA stays an industry show, NAHBS could capitalize on that by virtue of it being a public show and see a tremendous increase in foot traffic. If Eurobike USA opens its doors to the public for one day, it just wets the appetite, and in my opinion, will stimulate growth for both NAHBS and the small and custom builder. Either way, having them both at such a prime location, at the same time, but at seperate venues, would make it easier for vendors to attend both. NAHBS would retain and continue to develop its own identity. To write off Portland, with its huge cycling community and a hotbed of small builders, is a mistake. What is going to attract small and custom builders to the show (and which in turn attracts the public) is the exposure they'll get from it. More traffic equals more vendors which equals more traffic.

NAHBS will only be diluted by the Eurobikes and Interbikes if it tries to become one.

I wish I had said that. Oh wait, I did a few years ago. Remember those threads on the framebuilder list? I proposed timing the show with other shows for maximum attendance. I think Portland would make a great venue and NAHBS has nothing to fear from Eurobike.

Curt

J.Greene
10-31-2006, 04:31 PM
I feel you & agree.

But.

A,
I don't think we're on different pages. Don does attract some small amount of crossover(phil,parlee,calfee,anvil,IF,shimano etc...) and he is trying to attract more. My only point was that I hope Don is successful. He had the texas sized cajones to start nahbs, I think he'll steer it wisely.

JG

NAHBS
10-31-2006, 04:54 PM
A,
I don't think we're on different pages. Don does attract some small amount of crossover(phil,parlee,calfee,anvil,IF,shimano etc...) and he is trying to attract more. My only point was that I hope Don is successful. He had the texas sized cajones to start nahbs, I think he'll steer it wisely.

JG

Thanks Jon!

Of the 8 or 9 exhibtors I chatted with today, they all agreed with me I made the right decision.
The "hidden" information was that I was never given any clue that there was already a show that was going to commit. Had I known this, I never would have agreed to go in the first place. I felt decieved, which is one of the 4 or 5 reasons I pulled out.

As I said in the Bikeportland.org interview, we are a stand alone show. I dont play second fiddle. I was not let known "all the truth".

Hope everyone had a great a day as I did. :crap: :crap: :crap:

DW

Steve Hampsten
10-31-2006, 05:07 PM
Better this way...

Hugs

NAHBS
10-31-2006, 05:18 PM
Nothing beats a carefully-reasoned, well-thought out, cleverly-worded response.

Way to go, Don.

Emotional day today Steve, please edit your post as I did.

DW

NAHBS
10-31-2006, 05:49 PM
I have had a very difficult day to say the least.
As Archibald explained that I have "no professional self confidence" when it comes to dealing with this issue not taking NAHBS to Portland.

I have calmed down now and want to appolgize for my earlier post. I deleted my emotional response because it, in itself was unprofessional of me. I am glad Steve Hampsten called me on it. I needed a good "checks and balances" system today.

The plain and simple fact is that I have more invested in this show than anyone else. Its "my baby". While there is no shortage of people telling me how to run the show, I am still making the decisions of what is in the best interest for the show. I have a clear and concise direction for the show to take.

I still feel that to criticize me and the decisions I make regarding NAHBS is not in the best of taste due to the amount of work I put into the show, but as the saying goes "opinions are like a##holes, everyone has one".

If I need to say more to appologize for my earlier comments, feel free to call me on it, unless of course you are Archibald. By the way Archie, "no show for you!"

DW

Archibald
10-31-2006, 06:57 PM
Damn, I always miss the good parts. Can someone fill me in?

Don - The show is your "baby" but your "baby" relies on your vendors, you know, the people who buy the booth space, and who are the same people who attract the paying public. Think of them as the ones who pay the child support for your baby. What is good for your vendors is good for you in return; it's a symbiotic relationship. It doesn't matter if Portland hosts some other show. It just doesn't matter. Your refusal to further entertain having the show there is a "cut your nose off to spite your face" response. What is important is that you maximize the foot traffic of interested and potential clients for your vendors and Portland has them in spades. That is what will grow the show and make it supportable in the long term.

Now, if you want to tell me you put on NAHBS as a philanthropic gesture, well then, you're too kind and we need more like you; just forget I said anything. But, if that's not the case, consider my comments with an open mind. :)

NAHBS
10-31-2006, 07:03 PM
Damn, I always miss the good parts. Can someone fill me in?

Don - The show is your "baby" but your "baby" relies on your vendors, you know, the people who buy the booth space, and who are the same people who attract the paying public. Think of them as the ones who pay the child support for your baby. What is good for your vendors is good for you in return; it's a symbiotic relationship. It doesn't matter if Portland hosts some other show. It just doesn't matter. Your refusal to further entertain having the show there is a "cut your nose off to spite your face" response. What is important is that you maximize the foot traffic of interested and potential clients for your vendors and Portland has them in spades. That is what will grow the show and make it supportable in the long term.

Now, if you want to tell me you put on NAHBS as a philanthropic gesture, well then, you're too kind and we need more like you; just forget I said anything. But, if that's not the case, consider my comments with an open mind. :)

Its cut and dry. We dont go to a city with an existing show. We dont want to be the "other guys". We are able to stand alone. Portland will have to wait until EuroPortland leaves.

I know my decision isnt a popular one for attendees, but if 9 out of 10 exhibitors I talked to today back me on the decision, I have to believe I made the proper one.

DW

pdxmech13
10-31-2006, 08:11 PM
Steve, I totally agree with you on Portland's location in terms of making it centrally for all to come and not have long flytes and what not. Jay G. had many valid points when I talked to him on this very subject two weeks ago. It ultimately comes down to being a nice thought but for now lets let things lye.

shinomaster
10-31-2006, 08:17 PM
does the public get to go?

rnhood
10-31-2006, 08:18 PM
I hope NAHBS comes to the East Coast now. Bad days stop on our coast.

pdxmech13
10-31-2006, 08:19 PM
Ya like the public can see the cool stuff before the "bike folks" :D ?

#1Groove
10-31-2006, 09:18 PM
I as a vendor, support Don's decision.It was never let known to him that there would be another show coming to Portland. Was it an emotional thing ? You betcha ! Lets just take a minute to think about it . Don has worked extremly hard to get this show off the tar, it took some big nuts to do it. Thank goodness he lives Texas !! This show IS different. It can stand alone, and that is his plan.I think it is so easy for alot of people to sit and criticize what he is doing, when they are risking nothing. It's easy to say stuff when you are not risking anything. I know what it's like. Anybody put all of their life savings into something they belived ? Start a business ? Put it all on the line ? Become homeless ? Sit and pray ? I have. I don't know if Don has, but I betcha he put some dough into it.Through the years I have started to think more about what other people have done and gone through before I open my yap. Damn skippy Peacock Groove will be there in San Jose or where ever!. I trust his vision, give Don a break, he has earned it.

Archibald
10-31-2006, 11:17 PM
I as a vendor, support Don's decision.It was never let known to him that there would be another show coming to Portland. Was it an emotional thing ? You betcha ! Lets just take a minute to think about it . Don has worked extremly hard to get this show off the tar, it took some big nuts to do it. Thank goodness he lives Texas !! This show IS different. It can stand alone, and that is his plan.I think it is so easy for alot of people to sit and criticize what he is doing, when they are risking nothing. It's easy to say stuff when you are not risking anything. I know what it's like. Anybody put all of their life savings into something they belived ? Start a business ? Put it all on the line ? Become homeless ? Sit and pray ? I have. I don't know if Don has, but I betcha he put some dough into it.Through the years I have started to think more about what other people have done and gone through before I open my yap. Damn skippy Peacock Groove will be there in San Jose or where ever!. I trust his vision, give Don a break, he has earned it.

What is the significance of another show being in Portland? Can anybody tell me that?

No one takes credit for the show away from Don, but Don did not create the show in a vacuum. It was created with the support of like minded people who threw their weight, their public support, and their dollars behind it to give it the momentum it needed to happen.

NAHBS is a business. If may have been born with the spark of passion, but it is a business, nonetheless. As a business, it'd be better if decisions weren't made based on kneejerk emotional responses. I'm a vendor. I do a lot of business in the PNW, it's a hotbed for the cycling industry and the cycling public. I have competitors that are based in that area. I don't refuse to do business there just because others do. That would be ridiculous.

I agree this isn't the best place to discuss this, but it's already in the news and a "press release" has been made and it was brought to my attention here and that was a little irritating. There was no mailing to the vendors list, there was no update to the NAHBS website, there were no updates to the places NAHBS issues are normally discussed. Prior to reading the original blog link above, I had just been reading the postings about how great everything was going for a NAHBS/Portland and then this link with the EuroUSA show; I was jazzed. Portland could have been the same step up for the show San Jose was from Houston.

PacNW2Ford
11-01-2006, 01:45 AM
Now for a word from the target audience: I live in the PDX area. I went to San Jose last year and had a great time, but the weekend cost me a few hundred. If both shows were in Portland and Eurobike had a public day, I would certainly go to both. For me, Yurrobike would be the "other" show. And I might save enough in travel for the deposit on my dream Hampsten.

NAHBS
11-01-2006, 04:09 AM
What is the significance of another show being in Portland? Can anybody tell me that?

No one takes credit for the show away from Don, but Don did not create the show in a vacuum. It was created with the support of like minded people who threw their weight, their public support, and their dollars behind it to give it the momentum it needed to happen.

NAHBS is a business. If may have been born with the spark of passion, but it is a business, nonetheless. As a business, it'd be better if decisions weren't made based on kneejerk emotional responses. I'm a vendor. I do a lot of business in the PNW, it's a hotbed for the cycling industry and the cycling public. I have competitors that are based in that area. I don't refuse to do business there just because others do. That would be ridiculous.

I agree this isn't the best place to discuss this, but it's already in the news and a "press release" has been made and it was brought to my attention here and that was a little irritating. There was no mailing to the vendors list, there was no update to the NAHBS website, there were no updates to the places NAHBS issues are normally discussed. Prior to reading the original blog link above, I had just been reading the postings about how great everything was going for a NAHBS/Portland and then this link with the EuroUSA show; I was jazzed. Portland could have been the same step up for the show San Jose was from Houston.

Archibald, you are a NAHBS exhibitor? Please PM me and tell me who you are!

Look, there is NO reason to post to the NAHBS website. The bottom line is this. IF you read this forum, you will realize I have been searching for a few months now for an Eastern Location. We have had minimal luck up to this point finding venues and hotels.
The city of Portland had never even been a consideration for 08 because we wanted to go back east. They approached me at Interbike of this year.
They took the initiative to "woo" NAHBS. I dont have to update ANYONE on where NAHBS 08 and beyond will be until we have decided where it will be.
The fact remains that I dont take NAHBS into a market with an existing show. I sure wouldnt stop in Vegas, which holds Interbike. Why would I go to PDX if it holds EuroPortland? I wouldnt take it to Seattle or MPLS because they already have shows as well. People dont realize, its not the "apples and oranges" issue, its the fact that we are both edible and I feel its professional courtesy.

This is my LAST post on the issue, if I have to explain more, then you just arent "getting it".

DW

William
11-01-2006, 05:41 AM
With all due respect,

I don't know the politics or internal workings of NAHBS and I won't pretend to. My suggestion of PDX was only due to the fact that I have lived there and been involved in the cycling community so I know what a first class place it would be to have a cycling related show. Beyond that, I know nothing. I can understand not wanting to have it at the same time another big show is going on, but I can also appreciate the comments of the folks who think otherwise.

Since you are looking for an East coast venue, have you looked at Rhode Island/Providence? There are a number of venues here that could support it. It's centrally located between New York and Boston on a major interstate hwy (I-95). It's only ten to fifteen minutes from a major airport. Lots of first class restaurants and hotel lodging in the area, and good riding south and west of the city. The Cross Nats are here for the second year in a row so many cycling folk will be familiar with the area. I'm not only suggesting because I live in the state, but mainly because I think it's a good location to put such an event on. I have put on other events here (not cycling related) and have found that for all the reasons I have previously mentioned, I get large turnouts.

Just a suggestion.

William