PDA

View Full Version : OT: Register to Vote

C40_guy
08-12-2018, 07:57 PM
In Massachusetts, you have until this Wednesday, August 15 to register online to vote. Check your status and register here -

https://www.sec.state.ma.us/OVR/

For other states use this link -

https://www.headcount.org/verify-voter-registration/

Ask three friends if they're registered to vote. Ask them to ask three friends....

pbarry
08-12-2018, 08:41 PM
Good on you for the thread! :)

As citizens, it's our duty to vote. :)

C40_guy
08-12-2018, 08:45 PM

Thanks!

Please copy and share in your other communities...

zmudshark
08-12-2018, 08:48 PM
Vote absentee, so there is a paper trail, if your state allows it.

eddief
08-12-2018, 10:25 PM
58 percent of eligible voters went to the polls during the 2016 election = a rather large silent minority.

A local radio guy here used to say if you don't like the news then go out and make some of your own.

Bradford
08-12-2018, 11:31 PM

Colorado has a great system. They mail me a paper ballot about 3 weeks before the election, I have time to look up all the ballot initiatives and figure out my vote, then I can mail it back or drop it off in a box in the police station parking lot. And, I get a paper trail.

If your state doesn't make it this easy, make sure you register and be ready to vote.

gasman
08-12-2018, 11:55 PM
Oregon is completely vote by mail, there haven’t been polling sites for years.

No matter your politics we should all vote.

I know this may be difficult but let’s do avoid making this thread partisan. I have my beliefs and you have yours and we aren’t going to change each other’s mind on a bike forum.

smontanaro
08-13-2018, 04:49 AM
Double-check to make sure you're registered. My son recently moved from Illinois to Missouri, registered, thought everything was good, then discovered they didn't accept his ID until after the fact (which was still his IL DL). He missed the primaries and will have some more work to do to be able to vote in November.

Bruce K
08-13-2018, 05:04 AM
I would love it if one of our Australian members would check in on this.

I believe that on Election Day all bout essential businesses are closed and everyone is required to vote, with stiff penalties if you don’t.

That’s one wY to ensure that the government represents the populace.

Regardless, everyone SHOuLD register and vote.

BK

Llewellyn
08-13-2018, 05:10 AM
I would love it if one of our Australian members would check in on this.

I believe that on Election Day all bout essential businesses are closed and everyone is required to vote, with stiff penalties if you don’t.

That’s one wY to ensure that the government represents the populace.

Regardless, everyone SHOuLD register and vote.

BK

Yes and no. Elections are always held on Saturday and it's business as usual for everything - businesses, cafes, sporting events etc. People just have to make time to go and vote or do an absentee vote if they can't do it in person. Voting is compulsory but the fines for not voting are only $20 for first timers or $50 for a repeat offence (unless you have a "valid" reason for not voting). It's compulsory for anyone over the age of 18 to enrol to vote but that doesn't guarantee they all do. I think the estimate is that about 500,000 people who are eligible to vote haven't enrolled - including one of my nephews.

oldpotatoe
08-13-2018, 07:34 AM

Ought to be a requirement..no vote, get zinged some on your income tax filing.
What was the turnout in 2016? Something like 60%..terrible..I'm 'thinking' it'll be higher in 2018 and again in 2020...

PLUS ought to be on a WE or at least a national, no work holiday if on Tuesday..

bikinchris
08-13-2018, 07:58 AM
What was the turnout in 2016? Something like 60%..terrible..I'm 'thinking' it'll be higher in 2018 and again in 2020...

PLUS ought to be on a WE or at least a national, no work holiday if on Tuesday..

Actually, the turnout is worse than that. Only 60% of REGISTERED voters. A total of 137 million out of around 300 million.
Everyone should be registered to vote at 18 and should stay registered as long as they live there. I had to register for the draft why didn't that register me to vote at the same time?

I fear too man6 people are willing to let others decide for us to get a true picture of the vox populi.

And I also agree that voting should be a holiday.

smontanaro
08-13-2018, 08:12 AM
On NPR this morning they were discussing politics in Hawaii. Apparently, the State Senate is 100% Democrat, the governor is a Democrat, and all but four seats in the House of Representatives are held by Democrats. The Republican running for Governor had to give up her House seat (I think that's what they said) to run. Though I'm a left-leaning voter, it seems like with no effective opposition party, it breeds complacency in the electorate (primary turnout in 2016 was 34.8% v 84.4% in 1959 and 70.7% as recently as 1986), and quite possibly make anti-democratic (small D) shenanigans more tempting.

Bruce K
08-13-2018, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the clarification.

2 trips gets you a nice feel for that truly interesting place you live (plus an addiction to Footy) but not a complete understanding.

The last time we were there, the election was looming so lots of discussion about elections.

BK

Davist
08-13-2018, 08:31 AM

can nearly guarantee it'll be lower in '18, just b/c of off year. 58% of REGISTERED voters (so basically a little over half of a little under half, right?!), first step is something like a "motor voter" law.
I won't delve into IDs but do think it's a good idea as a general statement. My pet peeve is that if you're not registered in one of the 2 parties (I disagree with them and their interest in self perpetuation) you don't get to vote in primaries which also have local elections here in PA, which affects my daily life/the average person as much if not more than Federal/State... but yes, please vote!

oldpotatoe
08-13-2018, 09:55 AM
can nearly guarantee it'll be lower in '18, just b/c of off year. 58% of REGISTERED voters (so basically a little over half of a little under half, right?!), first step is something like a "motor voter" law.
I won't delve into IDs but do think it's a good idea as a general statement. My pet peeve is that if you're not registered in one of the 2 parties (I disagree with them and their interest in self perpetuation) you don't get to vote in primaries which also have local elections here in PA, which affects my daily life/the average person as much if not more than Federal/State... but yes, please vote!

'Off year', you can say that again..we'll see..I think the general populace is motivated, for a variety of reasons..we'll see tho..Off year elections are always lower turnout but this year, 'unique'. me thinks.

paredown
08-13-2018, 10:54 AM
Traditionally, Democrats have not shown up in non-Presidential years, while Republicans tend to vote more reliably.

Here's some other cutoff dates for registration:

johnniecakes
08-13-2018, 11:14 AM
One thing I cannot understand is why ALL the primary elections in the Presidential election not held on the same day? PA is usually one of the last to vote in the Presidential primaries, by that time the candidates are close to being decided for both parties. You see where that got us.

FlashUNC
08-13-2018, 11:20 AM
Want to encourage people to vote? Make it easier to vote. It ain't rocket science.

smontanaro
08-13-2018, 11:24 AM
One thing I cannot understand is why ALL the primary elections in the Presidential election not held on the same day? .

Primary dates are determined by the states, so there is a vested interest in having an early primary to raise your state's importance. I think California is moving its primaries up in 2020. It does seem kinda of silly that two of the smallest states have such an outsize influence on presidential election politics.

Maybe someday the feds will take a bit more control of at least national elections. Maybe continued Russian interference will be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Jaybee
08-13-2018, 11:45 AM
Want to encourage people to vote? Make it easier to vote. It ain't rocket science.

Personally, I'd like the paradigm to be "State must demonstrate why you can't vote." instead of the current "Citizen must demonstrate why they can vote."

Nationwide motor voter would be a start.

93KgBike
08-13-2018, 12:18 PM
I agree with Bruce K, in fact, I would like to see a designated Federal Voting Holiday, with more polling places, and special bus routes to help voters get their. We are a nation of neighbors, and it's about time to take that seriously outside of soldiering.

Great thread C40!

smontanaro
08-13-2018, 12:30 PM
Without getting too far off in the political weeds, I think most people can quickly rattle off two or three things (or more) which would make it easier to vote and likely increase voter participation, some of which have already been mentioned in this thread. The problem is that there are vested interests who see it in their best interest not to make such changes. :rolleyes:

kevinvc
08-13-2018, 12:57 PM
I would also strongly suggest that everyone who has previously registered checks with their local elections office to make sure they're still on the roles. States will purge their lists based on different criteria, but there have been a lot of reports from people being inexplicably removed.

Some of these stories may be politically inspired tall tales, but I can attest that some are real. My mother-in-law, who has not skipped a single election on any level for the last 13 years that she's lived with us, recently found out she was no longer registered. The county couldn't give us any explanation for it, but we were lucky to have discovered it since now so it could be corrected in time for this fall.

It's worth a couple of minutes to make a quick call and make sure that you're registered.

ptourkin
08-13-2018, 03:00 PM
I would also strongly suggest that everyone who has previously registered checks with their local elections office to make sure they're still on the roles. States will purge their lists based on different criteria, but there have been a lot of reports from people being inexplicably removed.

Some of these stories may be politically inspired tall tales, but I can attest that some are real. My mother-in-law, who has not skipped a single election on any level for the last 13 years that she's lived with us, recently found out she was no longer registered. The county couldn't give us any explanation for it, but we were lucky to have discovered it since now so it could be corrected in time for this fall.

It's worth a couple of minutes to make a quick call and make sure that you're registered.

Not tall tales at all. Many state governments are going out of their way to discourage voting and the DOJ is no longer resisting them. It's a strange stance if one values democracy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/12/us/voting-rights-voter-id-suppression.html?rref=collection%2Fissuecollection %2Ftodays-new-york-times&action=click&contentCollection=todayspaper&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=collection

redir
08-13-2018, 03:20 PM
In Virginia you can register up to 22 days before the election. Sooner of course is better.

ultraman6970
08-13-2018, 03:32 PM
I have to be honest, compared to other places looks like the US needs a total overhaul of the voting process, starting by federal laws for the people being registered for voting or capable of voting, in some places you are obligated by law to register and vote. Saying this because just the presidential elections going on in the last 10 years and even in the ones last week there's always something very irregular going on, which surprise me big time.

rnhood
08-13-2018, 03:46 PM
Everyone should register to vote, it's an extremely simple process. I have not lived out in the middle of Oklahoma so, maybe in very rural areas it's more complicated, I don't know. But states have made the capability to register much simpler and easier with things like Real ID, or registering when you get a permit, etc. The thing is, one must want to register, and be willing to do it. Voting is a responsibility.

With the extension of early voting over the years, there is now ample time and opportunity to vote. So claiming there wasn't enough time is no longer a justifiable excuse. The absentee ballot process is simpler today too.

Again, a person has to want to register, and they have to want to vote. They must, and they should take that responsibility.

OtayBW
08-13-2018, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the reminder. Just registered absentee.

ptourkin
08-13-2018, 03:54 PM
Everyone should register to vote, it's an extremely simple process. I have not lived out in the middle of Oklahoma so, maybe in very rural areas it's more complicated, I don't know. But states have made the capability to register much simpler and easier with things like Real ID, or registering when you get a permit, etc. The thing is, one must want to register, and be willing to do it. Voting is a responsibility.

With the extension of early voting over the years, there is now ample time and opportunity to vote. So claiming there wasn't enough time is no longer a justifiable excuse. The absentee ballot process is simpler today too.

Again, a person has to want to register, and they have to want to vote. They must, and they should take that responsibility.

This is not true. States have made it much harder and the burden has been disproportionately placed on certain populations. Motor voter has existed since 1993 and it has not been adopted in all jurisdictions.

Based on the language you've used recently, your news sources may not be telling you this but a number of state legislatures have recently had to turn over evidence that their voter registration and roll removal policies were specifically targeted at certain groups.

As Ultra and others have noted, much of the world makes it easier to vote and encourages it. Here, there are people whose interests are better served by low turnout and they work to keep it that way.

You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.

Bruce K
08-13-2018, 03:55 PM
As an example - I just renewed my Drivers License last Thursday. There was a check box if I wanted to register. I left it blank as I am already registered. The clerk asked me TWICE if I needed to register or was sure that I already was.

Pretty easy in my opinion.

BK

saab2000
08-13-2018, 03:58 PM

Voting isn't particularly difficult. I currently live in Michigan and when I moved here a year ago I registered as part of getting my drivers license. Last Tuesday was primary day in Michigan and I went to my polling place, about a half mile from my house, and showed my ID and voted.

I know that not everyone has a drivers license but there are other ways to get an ID.

Apathy and complacency are greater dangers than difficulty of voting, which isn't that tough in most places. That isn't to say there aren't places that make it tough to vote for some folks. That is, of course, tragic. But overall I haven't found it to be a challenge to vote in the places I've lived. Ten minutes of research will answer most questions people have.

ptourkin
08-13-2018, 04:09 PM
As an example - I just renewed my Drivers License last Thursday. There was a check box if I wanted to register. I left it blank as I am already registered. The clerk asked me TWICE if I needed to register or was sure that I already was.

BK

This is motor voter. It is not implemented in every state. For those of you who are saying it's easy, here are some anecdotes about what recently happened in Alabama: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/12/12/16767426/alabama-voter-suppression-senate-moore-jones

"

A state senator who had tried for over a decade to get the bill into law, told The Huntsville Times that a photo ID law would undermine Alabama’s “black power structure.” In The Montgomery Advertiser, he said that the absence of an ID law “benefits black elected leaders.”

The bill’s sponsors were even caught on tape devising a plan to depress the turnout of black voters — whom they called “aborigines” and “illiterates” who would ride “H.U.D.-financed buses” to the polls — in the 2010 midterm election by keeping a gambling referendum off the ballot. Gambling is popular among black voters in Alabama, so they thought if it had remained on the ballot, black voters would show up to vote in droves."

This is an issue I follow. There have been numerous instances of evidence obtained in discovery where legislators have admitted their specific intent to suppress the votes of specific populations.

Your anecdotes of how it is easy for you, a relatively comfortably situated individual, to vote, are not the rule for everyone.

Also, before anyone talks about "voter fraud" - please note that Mr. Kobach was sent home and his commission was shut down and that he was held in contempt and fumbled through the court proceeding his commission provoked.

saab2000
08-13-2018, 04:21 PM
This is motor voter. It is not implemented in every state. For those of you who are saying it's easy, here are some anecdotes about what recently happened in Alabama: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/12/12/16767426/alabama-voter-suppression-senate-moore-jones

"

A state senator who had tried for over a decade to get the bill into law, told The Huntsville Times that a photo ID law would undermine Alabama’s “black power structure.” In The Montgomery Advertiser, he said that the absence of an ID law “benefits black elected leaders.”

The bill’s sponsors were even caught on tape devising a plan to depress the turnout of black voters — whom they called “aborigines” and “illiterates” who would ride “H.U.D.-financed buses” to the polls — in the 2010 midterm election by keeping a gambling referendum off the ballot. Gambling is popular among black voters in Alabama, so they thought if it had remained on the ballot, black voters would show up to vote in droves."

This is an issue I follow. There have been numerous instances of evidence obtained in discovery where legislators have admitted their specific intent to suppress the votes of specific populations.

Your anecdotes of how it is easy for you, a relatively comfortably situated individual, to vote, are not the rule for everyone.

Also, before anyone talks about "voter fraud" - please note that Mr. Kobach was sent home and his commission was shut down and that he was held in contempt and fumbled through the court proceeding his commission provoked.

Clearly there are abuses and such abuses are egregious and unconscionable. I'm not saying these don't exist.

I believe my voting precinct is majority non-white and I (white) was in the minority at my polling place, which was surprisingly active for a primary.

Voter suppression efforts are real, without a doubt, but it is possible to vote if one puts in the effort. And you are correct, voter fraud is rare and is a total farce of an issue but I don't wish to go too far off the rails. Let's not even start with gerrymandering......

Bruce K
08-13-2018, 04:57 PM
I could relate the flip side...

My father remained on the voter lists in Palm Beach County, FL for 5 years after his death despite my sending a copy of his Death Certificate.

Based on conversations with people at the Voter Registry office, I believe he “voted” TWICE during that time frame and I received at least one absentee ballot with his name on it (his mail was being forwarded here after he had a stroke).

We need to figure out a way to keep accurate voter records.

BK

ptourkin
08-13-2018, 05:02 PM
I could relate the flip side...

My father remained on the voter lists in Palm Beach County, FL for 5 years after his death despite my sending a copy of his Death Certificate.

Based on conversations with people at the Voter Registry office, I believe he “voted” TWICE during that time frame and I received at least one absentee ballot with his name on it (his mail was being forwarded here after he had a stroke).

We need to figure out a way to keep accurate voter records.

BK

Not to denigrate that anecdote but this has been looked into exhaustively. It's just not an issue. Even the people on the Kobach task force with the resources they were given, just couldn't find anything and they really, really wanted to.

Bruce K
08-13-2018, 05:05 PM
Not saying it was widespread - I don’t buy that either

But this is an instance I know where I believe it might have actually happened.

BK

Bob Ross
08-13-2018, 06:43 PM
https://prudentgroove.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/fz.jpg

choke
08-13-2018, 07:19 PM
There are many here who feel that voting should be mandatory.....I disagree vehemently.

One of the tenets of the US is that people are free to make their own choices, so if someone feels that they don't want to vote - for whatever reason - then they should be allowed to make that choice.

zmudshark
08-13-2018, 07:32 PM
https://prudentgroove.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/fz.jpg

Frank was way more conservative than me, but I wish he was here to give his unique voice to today's situation.

He registered people to vote at most of his concerts.

Quite the fellow. I met him once, long story.

http://wiki.killuglyradio.com/wiki/United_Mutations

I am a member, as you may well guess. $3 well spent.

Scuzzer
08-13-2018, 11:10 PM
Knew this would go stupidly political. Everything I do requires an ID, make it stupidly easy to get an ID and also register people to vote. Require an ID to vote. Hell, I can't buy a six pack without one.

I live in Colorado, it's stupidly easy to get a state issued ID, and it's also stupidly easy to get a ballot mailed to you so you can sit on your couch and ruminate over your choices. As a side benefit, I never thought the stupid Judge retention vote meant anything, how would you know if you stepped into a voting booth. Now I can sit on my couch and figure it out.

Seriously don't understand why other states don't do this.

FlashUNC
08-13-2018, 11:22 PM
Knew this would go stupidly political. Everything I do requires an ID, make it stupidly easy to get an ID and also register people to vote. Require an ID to vote. Hell, I can't buy a six pack without one.

I live in Colorado, it's stupidly easy to get a state issued ID, and it's also stupidly easy to get a ballot mailed to you so you can sit on your couch and ruminate over your choices. As a side benefit, I never thought the stupid Judge retention vote meant anything, how would you know if you stepped into a voting booth. Now I can sit on my couch and figure it out.

Seriously don't understand why other states don't do this.

Because its not necessary? We voted for a long time in this country just fine without ID requirements.

IDs are a barrier to entry for voting for all sorts of groups that have the right to show up and voice their opinion at the ballot box should they so choose. It may be stupidly easy for you, but it ain't for everyone. And voting is a right for citizens in this country.

There are a laundry list of examples of states using ID laws like modern-day poll taxes, curbing and curtailing access to the vote for the very groups that they don't want showing up on election day.

It's the same reason not every state uses vote-by-mail, or early voting, or numerous polling places.

ultraman6970
08-14-2018, 08:31 AM
What is Motor voter????

The other issue IMO is that since there's no national ID, is hard to track people having 2 or even 3 Driver licenses, easy you can have people voting all over the place because looks like there's no control of that.

In my state you renew DL and you can register for voting, the thing is, who knows if I'm here legally? No idea if the DMV has a way to know or not, haven't ask.

In mexico they did not have a national ID back 10 or 15 years ago, and you were able to spot buses with people moving around from town to town to vote, big time fraud. Is harder now that they have a national ID.

redir
08-14-2018, 09:24 AM
I don't think I would call Zappa a conservative, libertarian for sure though. He was not a big government type at all ;)

Voter suppression is bad in some cases but gerrymandering is much worse and because of the juggling around of the Supreme Court to the far right is going to even get worse then that.

PQJ
08-14-2018, 09:33 AM
Because its not necessary? We voted for a long time in this country just fine without ID requirements.

IDs are a barrier to entry for voting for all sorts of groups that have the right to show up and voice their opinion at the ballot box should they so choose. It may be stupidly easy for you, but it ain't for everyone. And voting is a right for citizens in this country.

There are a laundry list of examples of states using ID laws like modern-day poll taxes, curbing and curtailing access to the vote for the very groups that they don't want showing up on election day.

It's the same reason not every state uses vote-by-mail, or early voting, or numerous polling places.

It strikes me as eminently reasonable to require a valid ID to exercise an important right that may also be subject to abuse by those inclined to abuse it. The flip side of that coin would be to ensure that the getting of an ID is both easy and affordable (I'd even go with "free"). And lest you think I'm a tighty righty, my proclivities generally tend toward the left-ern side of things.

Bradford
08-14-2018, 10:19 AM
A thread on registering to vote is non-partisan and fine for this board and several of the moderators have participated. Veering off on the merits of voter ID laws and voter suppression is not and we will shut it down.

Feel free to comment on how and when to register to vote or move on to another thread.

FlashUNC
08-14-2018, 11:54 AM
It strikes me as eminently reasonable to require a valid ID to exercise an important right that may also be subject to abuse by those inclined to abuse it. The flip side of that coin would be to ensure that the getting of an ID is both easy and affordable (I'd even go with "free"). And lest you think I'm a tighty righty, my proclivities generally tend toward the left-ern side of things.

If there were any reasonable evidence that voter fraud happens at any significant scale, I'd be more inclined to agree with you. But there's no credible evidence this happens in any real way. Its pure pretense to purge the rolls and limit access to the polls.

yngpunk
08-14-2018, 12:12 PM

BK

Unfortunately, the DMV doesn't always communicate well with the voter registration people. I've had an instance where I registered to vote when getting a new driver's license, but come voting day, no record of my voter registration. Apparently, this is a known issue in some states

tjs555
08-14-2018, 02:45 PM
The more contented the electorate are with their government, the less likely they are to feel the need to vote. It's when things get bad that the turnout will increase. In addition, a statistically sufficient number of voters will probably reflect overall public opinion. Low turnout is not necessarily a bad thing.

redir
08-14-2018, 03:02 PM
The more contented the electorate are with their government, the less likely they are to feel the need to vote. It's when things get bad that the turnout will increase. In addition, a statistically sufficient number of voters will probably reflect overall public opinion. Low turnout is not necessarily a bad thing.

That's an interesting way of looking at it. Sort of like a protection against the tyranny of the masses. But then we have here in the States other ways of dealing with that too.

One other thing I would add is that it's not just "when things get bad that the turnout will increase" now it's becoming when things are perceived to be bad that the turnout will increase.

drewski
08-15-2018, 10:53 AM
That's an interesting way of looking at it. Sort of like a protection against the tyranny of the masses. But then we have here in the States other ways of dealing with that too.

One other thing I would add is that it's not just "when things get bad that the turnout will increase" now it's becoming when things are perceived to be bad that the turnout will increase.

Another posting to rankle the moderators!!!.

The electoral college and the way podunk states with 200,000 people get assigned Senators has to go. There is no way Montana and California should have the same say over the direction of our Congress at the national level.
It also explains why we have a Orange Cotton Candy ninny muggins (Space Farce commander) as leader.

oldpotatoe
08-15-2018, 11:31 AM
Another posting to rankle the moderators!!!.

The electoral college and the way podunk states with 200,000 people get assigned Senators has to go. There is no way Montana and California should have the same say over the direction of our Congress at the national level.
It also explains why we have a Orange Cotton Candy ninny muggins (Space Farce commander) as leader.

A little history about this idiotic thing called the 'electoral college'..nothing about the 'why' applies today.

http://time.com/4558510/electoral-college-history-slavery/

For right below..why close it? I think it's been pretty dern neutral-politics wise..

pjm
08-15-2018, 11:42 AM
Shut ‘er down.

C40_guy
08-15-2018, 02:11 PM
Oh well.

We got three days and four pages in... And the message "register to vote" got out there!

jlwdm
08-15-2018, 06:15 PM
When I first started work for the county we got voting day off and it was a waste. Eventually we traded voting day and Columbus Day for the day after Thanksgiving and a floating holiday you could take whenever you want. I do not want to pay for everyone to have voting day off. Voting absentee or with a paper ballot is very easy today.

I also don't understand not showing id to vote. We are in a very different world these days with a mobile society within our states, our country and around the world. We need the proper people voting. The need for id is part of our society in so many ways these days.

Jeff

saab2000
08-15-2018, 06:22 PM
When I first started work for the county we got voting day off and it was a waste. Eventually we traded voting day and Columbus Day for the day after Thanksgiving and a floating holiday you could take whenever you want. I do not want to pay for everyone to have voting day off. Voting absentee or with a paper ballot is very easy today.

The previous time I voted in MI back a decade or so ago when I voted absentee I was challenged and ask some pretty pointed questions about why I was voting absentee. I was quite taken aback because I thought it was nobody's business but my own, and I answered such. I work in the airline business and am gone for several days at a time, often over election days.

Due to my work I am gone from home about half the week at times and I can't skip a multi-day trip just to be at home for 30 minutes on a Tuesday. I was fairly shocked at the hostility, or at least sharp ignorance and naiveté, of the person at the township where I voted that I might actually not be able to be present that day.

And there are places that have fought absentee voting actively. So it's not quite as simple as you might imagine. It's not 1776 anymore and we do need to ensure our electoral rights and those of others whose rights are often challenged.

redir
08-16-2018, 09:28 AM
Mail in voting should be an option for everyone. Period. Oregon has been doing it for years. And even thought there could possibly be problems it would be way more secure then electronic voting machines.

oldpotatoe
08-16-2018, 09:54 AM
Mail in voting should be an option for everyone. Period. Oregon has been doing it for years. And even thought there could possibly be problems it would be way more secure then electronic voting machines.

On line voting ought to be the norm..I sure don't have any 'security' answers but the system now seems really archaic.

ptourkin
08-18-2018, 08:31 AM
Just facts w/o commentary:
Two party race for governor with a black candidate.
Majority black county with many poor residents without access to transportation.
7 out of 9 polling places in the county to be closed.

https://www.wrbl.com/news/local-news/randolph-county-board-of-elections-proposes-closing-a-majority-of-polling-places/1377250612