PDA

View Full Version : OT-Morton’s Nueroma

oldpotatoe
08-12-2018, 01:45 PM
Since this forum is way awesome!! Yup got it on RH foot, hurts like ya read about. DOC, very active, cyclist, says to see if it gets better..if it doesn’t, steroid shot... I have orthotics with a metatarsal lift but geez Louezzzz this farging thing hurts!! Gotta stop 3-4 times to let my foot ‘rest’.. feels ok then 30 minutes or so...ouch!!! It’s making me ride all goofy, new muscles hurt.
Help me obe wan you’re my only hope...

dem
08-12-2018, 01:53 PM
Might try my crazy strategy with an old pair of shoes.. pretty definitively eliminates "too much tightness" as a cause. I'm stilll chasing the cause of my numbness, podiatrist and fitters are stumped. Best of luck fixing your issues up!

https://i.imgur.com/13iodrZl.jpg

oldpotatoe
08-12-2018, 01:57 PM
Might try my crazy strategy with an old pair of shoes.. pretty definitively eliminates "too much tightness" as a cause. I'm stilll chasing the cause of my numbness, podiatrist and fitters are stumped. Best of luck fixing your issues up!

https://i.imgur.com/13iodrZl.jpg

Ha! Actually cinching down shoe straps makes it feel a wee bit ‘better’ or hurts a little less frequently. No numbness, just ouchy.

gemship
08-12-2018, 02:02 PM
I wish I had an answer. All I can say is that is some expert shoe cutting.

rnhood
08-12-2018, 02:03 PM
Be sure you are not pedaling toe down.
Move the cleats far as you can rearward.
Maybe tweak your position a little, usually in the way of moving the saddle back a touch....or just put a different saddle on. It can make a difference.

Seramount
08-12-2018, 02:04 PM
have experienced MN issues in my right foot on several occasions. and yeah, it hurts...a lot. it can bring tears to the eyes sometimes...

have used a combination of ice, massage, NSAIDs, acupuncture...they seem to help and the pain eventually goes away in a few weeks.

a friend has had it on both feet for a few years and finally went for a surgical repair...the results were not good. complications related to the incisions not healing (due to poor circulation) left him non-ambulatory for weeks.

once the incisions healed, he still has pain and numbness.

unterhausen
08-12-2018, 02:07 PM
I'm sorry that metatarsal pad didn't fix it for you. When I developed it (or noticed it), my orthopod at the time would have shot me up with cortisone if I hadn't stopped him. In fact, he left the room for 10 minutes and came back having forgotten I already said that I didn't want the shot. I'm afraid of those shots because of other reasons. Fortunately, mine is well controlled with orthotics.

I also get wide shoes one size too big.

glepore
08-12-2018, 02:23 PM
Do you have the metatarsal pad placed right? It needs to be behind the neuroma, not under it. I find that icesoles insoles work great for me, combo of stiff arch with a built in metatarsal.

dave thompson
08-12-2018, 02:30 PM
Shoes with a wider toe box helped me a great deal. A *good* massage person and/or chiro often works too. Anything to relieve the pressure on your neuroma.

unterhausen
08-12-2018, 02:37 PM
Do you have the metatarsal pad placed right? It needs to be behind the neuroma, not under it. I find that icesoles insoles work great for me, combo of stiff arch with a built in metatarsal.

I assumed that his metatarsal pad was part of a professionally fitted orthotic. Although those are really expensive. There are metatarsal pads of various heights, and they do go further back than you would expect.

buddybikes
08-12-2018, 02:46 PM
I have pretty severe diabetic neuropathy (with a morton's neuroma...but think how you feel over whole foot).

Wild think that helps significantly was 2 cheap things on ebay:

1. silicone nipple covers (yes I am serious, the gel pad provides just right amount of cushy and it sticks) https://www.ebay.com/itm/Reusable-Soft-Silicone-Petal-Invisible-Nipple-Cover-Pad-Bra-Pasties-Adhesive-LOT/392082714442?hash=item5b49f36f4a%3Am%3Am9jDJnTCHba gZ3dtuHerLQA&var=661030215096&LH_PrefLoc=1&_sop=15&_sacat=0&_nkw=nipple+covers&_from=R40&rt=nc

2. toe spreaders - https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-Gel-Bunion-Protector-Corrector-Toe-Straightener-Alignment-Separator-Spreader/292298784110?epid=21007500228&hash=item440e5d7d6e%3Ag%3A-L4AAOSwx95bFoAE%3Asc%3AUSPSFirstClass%2102806%21US %21-1&LH_PrefLoc=1&_sacat=0&_nkw=toe+spreader&_from=R40&rt=nc

also try as strong as you can find numbing cream

good luck, least there is end in sight for you...

oldpotatoe
08-12-2018, 04:40 PM

Yup, placed right and for previous post re; NSAIDS.. no can do, on Eliquis. Local lidocaine cream helps too..but this all wears me out.

unterhausen
08-12-2018, 05:36 PM
toe spreaders might not be a bad idea.

ultraman6970
08-12-2018, 06:00 PM
Use toe spreaders even while you sleep, that helps a lot. The other option since is just one leg is that the foot is not bothering is getting kind'a shorter, shim the shorter leg a couple of mms just in case and see if that helps. Happened to me... besides I went to wide shoes.

djg21
08-12-2018, 06:00 PM
Have Don Lamson make you shoes. He can make a very wide toe box and good custom insole. Don just set up his new shop outside of Tucson, in Green Valley, AZ. He is designing his new shoe models and will be building soon. https://lamsoncycling.com

Ken Robb
08-12-2018, 07:22 PM
do you have pain when you're not riding a bike?

NickD
08-12-2018, 08:55 PM
I had them on both feet. From many years of too tight road shoes and collapsed secondary arches under the toes. Long hikes/climbs with mountaineering boots were the final straw. Both feet supinate (roll to the outside). Never had good footbeds. Consulted two podiatrists about 20 years ago and both said I needed surgery. I agreed to have the surgery on both feet and it fixed the problem along with wearing orthotics. It seems that every five years my custom orthotics need updating and likely will need surgery again on right foot--the worst one. Your feet change. Surgery painful, even with anesthesia, but no regrets. Yes, wide toe boxes on all footwear. Pretty much pain free since then.

I would recommend the surgery once all options have been exhausted. Should be numerous good podiatrists in the People's Republic. Good luck!

cderalow
08-12-2018, 09:50 PM
Have it right foot. Fixed my pad and wide toe boxes. Still comes back when breaking in new shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wallymann
08-13-2018, 04:17 AM
started suffering with MN in ~2004 on left foot only. i manage it, but its an ongoing issue that affects my pedalstroke -- when i try to apply comparable left/right force, MN tends to re-surface so i dont really pedal fully 2-legged which sucks.

i've done intermittent cortisone injections. i am *not* keen to do surgery, but there's a "new" intermediate non-surgical option -- diluted alcohol injection. apparently this achieves the same net result as MN nerve surgery, but w/o cutting and potential structural damage to the foot.

as other suggested use orthotics with good metatarsal support.
i wear sidi ergos and went up +1 full size -- this gives my forefoot room to spread and allows thicker insoles for more cushioning. i actually stack 2 insoles and the lower insole i cut a hole to remove pressure being applied directly to the troublesome nerve. this hole ends up being just in front of the metatarsal pad.
avoid any shoes with straps/cinches that put any "narrowing pressure" on the forefoot bones. the bottom strap on my sidi ergos would normally disqualify them, but i leave the lowermost cross-toe strap completely un-tensioned.

fignon's barber
08-13-2018, 05:53 AM
Since this forum is way awesome!! Yup got it on RH foot, hurts like ya read about. DOC, very active, cyclist, says to see if it gets better..if it doesn’t, steroid shot... I have orthotics with a metatarsal lift but geez Louezzzz this farging thing hurts!! Gotta stop 3-4 times to let my foot ‘rest’.. feels ok then 30 minutes or so...ouch!!! It’s making me ride all goofy, new muscles hurt.

Ask your doctor about prescribing a compounded topical pain cream. Two ingredients that work well for neuropathic pain are gabapentin and ketamine. They are very safe when used topically.

Tickdoc
08-13-2018, 05:54 AM
Sorry to hear this Peter.

I went thru a bad bout of this 2009ish and suffered for almost two years. Eventually went to a Podiatrist and had custom orthotics made. They helped day to day but I didn't like cycling in them. The key for me was a metatarsal pad or bump. Cycling wise I found stock Specialized inserts that had a nice metatarsal bump that worked well. For me, I attributed it to shoes that had a narrow last that ramped up on the sides (imagine a smiley face in cross section) were bad for me where shoes that were flat or humped in the middle (imagine a frowning face in cross section) were good for me. I have narrow feet which also makes it difficult to find good fitting shoes.

I eventually go over it but I would consider changing your everyday shoes, getting orthotics made, massage of the feet, and most definitely something with a metatarsal bump in it.

This last one may sound silly but Yoga and stretching helps tremendously, for me at least. I had a masseuse who would work the crap out of my feet and alleviate most of the swelling. Now my foot tendons are just stronger from stretching.

mcteague
08-13-2018, 06:50 AM
I also have MN (https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/mortons-neuroma/symptoms-causes/syc-20351935) but of a slightly different sort. My symptoms are the sensation of having lumps, or small objects under foot whenever I stand up. When no pressure is on the soles they feel normal. I often described it as a numbness but that is not accurate.

I went to a podiatrist who diagnosed Morton's Neuroma. I sometimes have the sharp, localized pain but that is not frequent or long lasting. The "lump in the sock" sensation is ever present, on both feet. The doc started with custom orthotics, of course, and a series of cortisone shots. They hurt like hell and never seemed to help. After 3 months of shots and wearing the orthotics I was in worse shape. She said the next step was alcohol sclerosing injections to kill the nerves. I told her I thought we were not addressing the true underlying cause as the current treatments were making things worse. I wanted to just keep wearing the orthotics and see how things went. After six months I took the damn things out of my shoes. Now, I just live with the irritation. If it ever moves on to actual pain, I may pursue surgical options, but not now.

Tim

Hellgate
08-13-2018, 06:59 AM
Tim - You symptoms are exactly like mine. My doc was straight up and said surgery is the only real option, or live with it.

Like yours, mine pain comes out of the blue and is staggering. I have couple pair of shoes that minimize the pain. Otherwise I just suck it.

I suspect I'll have the surgery in a couple of years.

oldpotatoe
08-13-2018, 07:01 AM
do you have pain when you're not riding a bike?

That's mainly when I DO have it, while walking..no pain just pushing at various places on ball of foot, but walking, pushing off..genuine pain. Less when riding, but gotta stop every 30-45 minutes, 5 minutes, then foot feels pretty good then hurts again. Making me pedal goofy and resulting strange soreness..

Altho Sidis I've used have been trouble free, this issue came on rather suddenly, like overnight. I'm thinking a shoe with a wider toe box, maybe my Sidis in 'mega' style..

glepore
08-13-2018, 07:12 AM
I went to wide bonts, which have a big toe box. They help, but their sizing needs to be right and isn’t necessarily standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSJoyce
08-13-2018, 07:19 AM
Years of too small cycling shoes caught up with me. I tried larger Sidis and just about every shoe on the market. Lake CX402 in the right size are working for me now. The heat molding does make a difference.

mcteague
08-13-2018, 07:31 AM
Wider shoes do seem to be of benefit. My most comfortable shoes are just a pair of Teva sandals. The podiatrist said my forefoot was very flexible, side to side, and that caused irritation of the nerves over time. As others have mentioned, a metatarsal pad my help as well.

Tim

Tickdoc
08-13-2018, 07:43 AM
Altho Sidis I've used have been trouble free, this issue came on rather suddenly, like overnight. I'm thinking a shoe with a wider toe box, maybe my Sidis in 'mega' style..

Lake....or custom.

oldpotatoe
08-13-2018, 08:08 AM
How are Giro shoes..toe box wise??

oldpotatoe
08-13-2018, 08:58 AM
Have Don Lamson make you shoes. He can make a very wide toe box and good custom insole. Don just set up his new shop outside of Tucson, in Green Valley, AZ. He is designing his new shoe models and will be building soon. https://lamsoncycling.com

Altho this is a PIT...Foot, $1000 cycling shoes isn't in the plan..yet...

mcteague
08-13-2018, 09:06 AM
Altho this is a PIT...Foot, $1000 cycling shoes isn't in the plan..yet...

Especially with no guarantee the mega $ shoes will help.

Tim

Tickdoc
08-13-2018, 09:24 AM
Especially with no guarantee the mega $ shoes will help.

Tim

yeah, I wouldn't invest in anything shoe wise until there is some relief from either orthotics or inserts. I suffered with this for about 6months bad before things eased up.

oldpotatoe
08-13-2018, 09:52 AM
yeah, I wouldn't invest in anything shoe wise until there is some relief from either orthotics or inserts. I suffered with this for about 6months bad before things eased up.

Considering my present inserts with Metarsal lift is about 3 years old(yikes!!), I just ordered some new ones...

Ken Robb
08-13-2018, 12:17 PM
That's mainly when I DO have it, while walking..no pain just pushing at various places on ball of foot, but walking, pushing off..genuine pain. Less when riding, but gotta stop every 30-45 minutes, 5 minutes, then foot feels pretty good then hurts again. Making me pedal goofy and resulting strange soreness..

As a cheap test you might try getting some big platform pedals like "Grip Kings" and ride wearing your most comfy regular footwear. There is a chance that your feet won't know they are pressing on pedals or pavement. I had really bad (is there any "good"?) plantar fasciitis and my doc suggested that for that kind of inflammation we should try to stop the source of irritation until the pain went away. My treatment ended up with cortisone shots but various steps along the way like orthotics, icing, etc. each helped so we knew we were on the right track. For my situation I could get pain-free for walking/standing but getting back on the tennis court undid all the gains. Since I was loathe to give up tennis we finally tried the cortisone shots with great success and I was permanently cured. I DID take much greater care choosing shoes to avoid a recurrence.

You already own some comfortable walking shoes so this experiment can't cost you more than $50 and when you stop for coffee you won't be clanking around in cycling shoes. :-)

unterhausen
08-13-2018, 12:41 PM
My experience doesn't sound anywhere near as bad, but I don't really think that pedals have anything to do with it. Unless oldpotatoe has been wearing the Sidi potato skin sole model.

The first thing to do is get wider shoes, probably the next size up. I always got shoes that were snug thinking it helps performance. I'm pretty sure it doesn't. My feet wallow in my winter shoes and that really doesn't slow me down at all.

quattro
08-13-2018, 02:02 PM

I’ve had my MN in my left foot for about 10 years now. I have custom cycling orthotics and custom everyday orthotics. The metatarsal pad really helps if properly placed. I had shots which resulted in causing problems with the fat pad under the metatarsal heads, I no longer have fat pads so the metatarsal heads have no protection, can no longer run or walk barefoot on a hard surface, only the beach. STAY AWAY FROM SHOTS!
I recently purchased a pair of Lake CX241 wide shoes, they are wonderful! Great adjustment so no side or top pressure at all. I live with the discomfort, sometimes bad and other times not so bad. Having had chemotherapy one and a half years ago didn’t help things, now I have discomfort where I hadn’t previously. Good luck, if you find a helpful solution please let us know.
Forgot to add, my custom cycling orthotics have high arches and I think this really helps, I also place my cleats as far back as possible, the little things all make a difference.

quattro

sc53
08-13-2018, 02:58 PM
Don't know why people are so anti-shots. I had this condition in one foot about 9 yrs ago, podiatrist recommended the shots, one every 3 weeks for a total of 3, and after shot #3 I never felt pain or numbness or the little "pea" or stone under the ball of my foot again. They worked exactly as promised. I guess others have had problems with them, but I did not.
Reading the post right above mine, I guess I still have the fat pads the poster above is lacking, so the shots worked for me.

shinomaster
08-13-2018, 03:18 PM
My D2 shoes really helped... arch support was the key in my case. I also Ice my feet after riding sometime. Good luck, nerve pain is horrible.

Rpoole8537
08-14-2018, 11:10 AM
I had three alcohol shots and all was well. The doctor decided a fourth would be even better. It made things a lot worse. He then gave me a steroid shot. I found a new doctor who said he only does steroid shots, not alcohol shots. Not sure why. But, no more shots in last ten months. I have most of my issues with walking/hiking. Only problems I have had cycling was during a cross state tour when it was very hot. I switched to cycling sandals the rest of the trip and they worked fine. My first insoles were from a running store. I still like to use them, especially in sneakers and hiking shoes with softer sole. I also have custom insoles that work with most of my shoes, but they are carbon and are a bit stiff in softer sole shoes. I have a very high instep so I need that correction as well as the metatarsal support. In summer, I wear Teva sandals almost all the time. I'm retired and in a warm climate so I can make it work. They feel great!!! Much room for toes to stretch. I may look for some wider shoes in the future, but I have a narrow heel??? Go luck. I know that pain well.

oldpotatoe
08-14-2018, 12:17 PM
I had three alcohol shots and all was well. The doctor decided a fourth would be even better. It made things a lot worse. He then gave me a steroid shot. I found a new doctor who said he only does steroid shots, not alcohol shots. Not sure why. But, no more shots in last ten months. I have most of my issues with walking/hiking. Only problems I have had cycling was during a cross state tour when it was very hot. I switched to cycling sandals the rest of the trip and they worked fine. My first insoles were from a running store. I still like to use them, especially in sneakers and hiking shoes with softer sole. I also have custom insoles that work with most of my shoes, but they are carbon and are a bit stiff in softer sole shoes. I have a very high instep so I need that correction as well as the metatarsal support. In summer, I wear Teva sandals almost all the time. I'm retired and in a warm climate so I can make it work. They feel great!!! Much room for toes to stretch. I may look for some wider shoes in the future, but I have a narrow heel??? Go luck. I know that pain well.

Thanks, with new inserts(with metatarsal lift) and some Lake shoes..hopefully no shot but we’ll see.

Tickdoc
08-14-2018, 01:18 PM
I had three alcohol shots and all was well. The doctor decided a fourth would be even better.

I've never done alcohol shots off my feet. Body shots off a girl once, but not their feet ;~)

teleguy57
08-14-2018, 01:47 PM
How are Giro shoes..toe box wise??

I really wanted to like the Giros, but tried them on as well as Shimano Spyre wides -- both still not enough. Went with Lake Cx237s in a normal width and they are really good. And they even make a wide! Good review by a pro here.
(http://www.bikebug.com/blog/lake-cx-237-review-where-fit-and-function-meet/)

RKP review here. (http://redkiteprayer.com/2014/09/lake-cx237/)

Pretty comprehensive sizing chart here. (https://lakecycling.com/pages/sizing-charts)

Good luck with your search, Peter!

weiwentg
08-14-2018, 02:42 PM
Thanks, with new inserts(with metatarsal lift) and some Lake shoes..hopefully no shot but we’ll see.

Don't forget to get a TUE if you get a corticosteroid shot :no:

Just kidding. I have nothing to add apart from best wishes for managing the symptoms successfully.

oldpotatoe
08-15-2018, 07:31 AM
Don't forget to get a TUE if you get a corticosteroid shot :no:

Just kidding. I have nothing to add apart from best wishes for managing the symptoms successfully.

Ha...thanks, we'll see..it didn't help that I walked into a end table in the hall last night in the dark(having some duct work done, crap everywhere)..TWICE..on the same 2 toes...slow learner...:eek:

cderalow
08-15-2018, 01:45 PM

I'll also add that the lake shoes seem to run wider in the toe box. Shimano mountain style shoes tend to as well.

Wide shoes/boots and the metatarsal pad corrected most of it for me.

I still get some issues if I wear a certain pair of very expensive dress shoes for more than 8 hours, but I just limit that as much as possible.

oldpotatoe
08-17-2018, 09:44 AM
Update..for others with this gig..foot feels like crap...so...shot later today.

PLUS Lake shoes and new inserts to try to prevent it being like it is now.

As an aside..I tried icing it and it made it ACHE like mad plus it didn't really feel any better...

quattro
08-17-2018, 09:54 AM
Update..for others with this gig..foot feels like crap...so...shot later today.

PLUS Lake shoes and new inserts to try to prevent it being like it is now.

As an aside..I tried icing it and it made it ACHE like mad plus it didn't really feel any better...

What kind of shot? Ask the Dr. if it can deteriorate the fat pads under your metatarsal heads, happened to me, just an FYI.
Which model Lake shoes are your wearing?

oldpotatoe
08-17-2018, 10:08 AM
What kind of shot? Ask the Dr. if it can deteriorate the fat pads under your metatarsal heads, happened to me, just an FYI.
Which model Lake shoes are your wearing?

He said 'steroid'..not sure which or what, never had one before but the plan is for 1 only.I'll ask about the fat pads.

Shoes low end..model CX165 for sizing and if they help..maybe a higher dig model if they do(assuming toe box size the same for higher end Lake shoes.)

Lake shoes ain't cheap.

quattro
08-17-2018, 10:18 AM
He said 'steroid'..not sure which or what, never had one before but the plan is for 1 only.I'll ask about the fat pads.

Shoes low end..model CX165 for sizing and if they help..maybe a higher dig model if they do(assuming toe box size the same for higher end Lake shoes.)

Lake shoes ain't cheap.

Google Steroid injection and Motron's neuroma, here is one article that discusses the possible side effects. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10340428

FYI- I purchased my CX241 wide Lakes from Bikeshoes.com, they didn't have them on thoier web site and didn't stock them, but they were more than willing to get them for me and they were shipped directly from Lake in Hong Kong to me, great customer service and great prices.

John H.
08-17-2018, 02:43 PM
I have experienced a lot of foot pain- Both feet. Dating back around 5-6 years ago.
I finally had surgery (separate surgeries on each foot, one went bad- then the other)- They re-shaped my semamoid bones, removed a large cyst from each and also a neuroma.
One foot healed great, one foot needed a 2nd surgery and was always dodgy after that.
Orthotics helped a lot- I went through multiple versions to find the best solution. But it was never perfect.

Then one day I pulled out an old set of Bont shoes- decided to try them again.
They were a revelation for me- I think part fit, part stiffness.
I would describe the stiffness like being able to push with the entire foot rather than just the ball of the foot and the toes.
In terms of fit- The increased width helped, but also the bathtub shape. I feel like a flat sole with an upper stretched over the top always had a piece of upper that "pulled" at the side of my 1st metatarsal.

For you I would say ditch the Sidis- They are nice shoes but low in terms of foot support.
I would also get some custom orthotics- You are lucky, lots of good providers in your area.
I would get some insets from this guy- https://ptiorthotics.com/contact-us/
I am looking at going out to Colorado at some point to have him cast me for some insoles.

oldpotatoe
08-17-2018, 02:57 PM

Lake shoes ain't cheap.

Got the Lake shoes today, .5 larger than Sidis and.....feel JUST like the Sidis, no roomier and strangely no longer...Sidis 45, Lake 45.5...oh well.

quattro
08-17-2018, 03:05 PM
Got the Lake shoes today, .5 larger than Sidis and.....feel JUST like the Sidis, no roomier and strangely no longer...Sidis 45, Lake 45.5...oh well.

Were the Lakes a Wide? Or regular width?

buddybikes
08-17-2018, 09:23 PM
back earlier in thread I was serious about silicone pads, worth 5.00 try - not anywhere cure but may make things just bit manageable.

oldpotatoe
08-18-2018, 08:02 AM
Were the Lakes a Wide? Or regular width?

Regular..from what I've read and heard, I thought my toes would be swimming in these..larger and 'known for large toe box'...nein...

Foot feels better post shot...2-3 days to fully 'take effect', according to doc...we'll see.

jr59
08-18-2018, 08:35 AM
Regular..from what I've read and heard, I thought my toes would be swimming in these..larger and 'known for large toe box'...nein...

Foot feels better post shot...2-3 days to fully 'take effect', according to doc...we'll see.

Peter, you really want your toes to be swimming.

I most cases, people fit their feet into shoes by length. While they should fit by getting the widest part of their foot to match with the widest part of their shoe. I hear people complain about heel width and slipping, but I never here them complain about their heels hurting. It’s always their toes.

I hope you understand what I’m saying. Good luck. And I hope you feel better soon

oldpotatoe
08-18-2018, 08:41 AM
Peter, you really want your toes to be swimming.

I most cases, people fit their feet into shoes by length. While they should fit by getting the widest part of their foot to match with the widest part of their shoe. I hear people complain about heel width and slipping, but I never here them complain about their heels hurting. It’s always their toes.

I hope you understand what I’m saying. Good luck. And I hope you feel better soon

I do..supposedly BoulderRunning Company has some foot measuring gizmo to take a 'pic' of my foot, that goes to the Lake outside rep who recommends a size...that's next. What is surprising is the sudden-ness of the 'injury, like overnight. I think related to stubbing my number 2 and 3 toe on a vacuum cleaner in the dark..Doc not so sure. BUT same shoes for decades..don't think it's that but ***arge do I know..:eek:

oldpotatoe
09-26-2018, 09:21 AM

Even after shot, pain back in spades so finally went to podiatrist(gotta admit, these guys 'seem' like Chiro-quacks, but this gent OK)..even tho radiologist didn't see it, small crack at bone at base of toe..NOT Morton's Nueroma..wrong place plus 'possible' rupture of the connection and pad between the bones at base of second toe..wrap, new shoes, exercises and re-look in 6 weeks..if no reduction in pain, possible surgery to repair/reinforce bone..yippee..:eek:

simplemind
09-26-2018, 09:39 AM
Even after shot, pain back in spades so finally went to podiatrist(gotta admit, these guys 'seem' like Chiro-quacks, but this gent OK)..even tho radiologist didn't see it, small crack at bone at base of toe..NOT Morton's Nueroma..wrong place plus 'possible' rupture of the connection and pad between the bones at base of second toe..wrap, new shoes, exercises and re-look in 6 weeks..if no reduction in pain, possible surgery to repair/reinforce bone..yippee..:eek:

Sounds like "I've got some good news and some bad news"! :rolleyes: Well, at least you have a plan, and given the season you're heading into, it won't be as hard to take as the summer. Good luck and keep us apprised!

unterhausen
09-26-2018, 01:32 PM
no wonder it hurt. Hope it heals up soon.

Tickdoc
09-26-2018, 01:43 PM
Yeah for you?!? Glad to hear a decent diagnosis and I'm not sure this won't be better post surgery and healed up. I mean maybe it can be fixed and done rather than recurring like Morton's.

Ralph
09-26-2018, 02:06 PM

That's good news. Glad to hear it. I have "sensitive" feet also. Would suggest taking his advice....which I'm sure you will do.

I think a great Podiatrist is under rated and under appreciated. I mean.....if your feet hurt.....you are out of business. I go to one regularly to keep an eye on some foot surgery in the past. He keeps me riding and walking. In the past, I had thought (wrongly) they are some kind of second class level of Doctor. Don't think that any more. Mine is the foot and ankle surgeon for the Orlando Magic basketball team. He tapes them up pre game. He's a runner and cyclist....knows his stuff.

mcteague
09-26-2018, 04:41 PM

This makes sense as I seem to recall you saying the pain started after smashing your foot into something in the middle of the night. From what I understand, Morton's Neuroma rarely shows it's ugly head all of the sudden. Mine is flaring up this week in my left foot for some reason. I have taken to digging out a valley in an old pair of sandals under the sore spot. That seems to make walking a lot less painful.

Tim