PDA

View Full Version : OT PSA: Check your [car] wheels!

AngryScientist
08-12-2018, 11:48 AM
Oof.

just went to rotate the wheels on my jeep and they were frozen solid to the hubs. an escapade of 2x4's and hydraulic jacks ensued in the driveway. lots of corrosion between the aluminum wheels and the steel hub ledge where they ride. 3 out of 4 wheels needed heavy persuasion to remove.

i would have been pretty well screwed if i got a flat on the side of the highway somewhere and needed to change a wheel on the road.

everything cleaned up and blasted the hell out of mating surfaces with fluid film.

anyway, if you live somewhere that they use salt on the roads, or it's a wet atmosphere, especially probably salt air - maybe check that you can get your wheels off in the driveway, or you may have an unpleasant surprise if you get a flat out on the road...

Black Dog
08-12-2018, 11:54 AM
I always use anti-seize or lithium grease (anything that can resist high temps) on the hub wheel surface for this very reason, especially with alloy wheels, because they have a larger mating surface compared to steel wheels.

AngryScientist
08-12-2018, 11:55 AM
I always use anti-seize on the hub wheel surface for this very reason, especially with alloy wheels, because they have a larger mating surface compared to steel wheels.

that's a good idea.

i think the fluid film will keep the corrosion at bay, and i plan to rotate the wheels a little more often to keep the coating fresh.

this jeep fell in my lap when the frame of my old jeep failed due to corrosion, and i think it's the first time the wheels have actually been off since new.

likebikes
08-12-2018, 11:57 AM
i just give the tire sidewall a drop kick. never failed me

speedevil
08-12-2018, 11:59 AM
Yep, those boogers can be really difficult to remove if it's been a while. Pretty much any type of high-temperature grease on the mating surfaces should prevent galvanic corrosion.

Agreed, much better to find and fix that problem in the driveway or garage than at the side of the road. As far as that goes, most all repairs are preferably done in the garage anyway. If nothing else, a bigger hammer is more readily available.

'Cause we never force anything, we just get a bigger hammer, right?

Cicli
08-12-2018, 12:04 PM
I have an aunt than ran a farm here in Iowa by herself for about 40 years.
One summer the “city” kids (us) were visiting. I was probably 10 and was given the job of changing a flat on the rear of the farm truck. She picked it up by the bumper with the tractor and I worked like hell to get the wheel off. Rusted solid. She had enough of me struggling and let it down off the tractor. She then proceded to drive it in circles with no lugs untill the wheel came loose. Back to the tractor for a jack and the wheel came off.
The things you learn as a kid.

ultraman6970
08-12-2018, 12:18 PM
Did you put grease before reinstallling the wheels? you dont want that to happen to you again i guess.

What ive done is to lose the lugs, then lower the car, since the wheel is lose will slant a little bit and will pop free. Second solution, sledgehammer.

572cv
08-12-2018, 12:23 PM
I’ve used blue grease liberally painted on the inside of the wheel mounting surface every time I change over to snows in the late fall, and back in the spring. Vermont salts its roads :mad:, presumably to keep those from elsewhere who come to ski, etc. from immediately going off the roads. The result for me is that If I don’t stay with the zen of grease, the wheels bond to the mounting hubs. It’s easy, it works.

unterhausen
08-12-2018, 02:14 PM
She then proceded to drive it in circles with no lugs untill the wheel came loose. Back to the tractor for a jack and the wheel came off.
The things you learn as a kid.
I have heard of this method, but I'm not sure I would remember it if I needed it.

My favorite farm story as a kid was when my uncle push (pull?) started our car with horses. I guess nobody had jumper cables. The horses part is also funny, I'm sure he never did any work with his horses at all, must have just been in a mood.

staggerwing
08-12-2018, 02:20 PM
Even with anti-seize, given enough time, wheels can bond to hubs via corrosion.

The proper solution, if it ever pops up again, is to loosen each lug nut/bolt, 1 to 1.5 turns, then drive through a parking lot with some aggressive left/right steering wheel throws and a couple of sharp braking maneuvers. Easy, effective and safe. Do NOT completely remove the nuts.

C40_guy
08-12-2018, 07:56 PM
I changed a tire once for an older lady by the side of the road. Her wheel was pretty well stuck to the hub.

I loosened the lugnuts 3 or 4 rurns and gently lowered the wheel onto the ground. The weight of the car was enough to break the bond; no need to drive around with loose nuts...

And yep, I use antisieze on my alloy wheels when I do my winter/summer changeovers. And I do four cars...with a floor jack and a cordless impact wrench.

My mechanic says that you only need to coat the circle where the hub meets the wheel, not the entire surface. But I do anyway. :)