PDA

View Full Version : 2018-2019 Calcio Futbol Football Thread

Pages : [1] 2

echappist
08-11-2018, 08:09 PM
I'll get things started with a NYT article on Sarri, he who came so close to guiding SSC Napoli to a scudetto on two occasions.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/10/sports/maurizio-sarri-chelsea.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=mini-moth&region=top-stories-below&WT.nav=top-stories-below

wc1934
08-12-2018, 11:57 AM
I'll get things started with a NYT article on Sarri, he who came so close to guiding SSC Napoli to a scudetto on two occasions.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/10/sports/maurizio-sarri-chelsea.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=mini-moth&region=top-stories-below&WT.nav=top-stories-below

Thanks for sharing this - Napoli will surely miss him and ADL (with his huge ego) should not have let him go. Sarri was a quiet man who accepted ADL's crap but never publicly jousted with him.

Because of the parting of Courtois, Chelsea paid a bunch for their new keeper.

Climb01742
08-12-2018, 02:17 PM
Watching my Gunners fall rather feebly to MC today, one thought kept coming...the new boss is the same as the old boss. I feel a long season coming.

Mzilliox
08-12-2018, 04:29 PM
Watching my Gunners fall rather feebly to MC today, one thought kept coming...the new boss is the same as the old boss. I feel a long season coming.

spineless performance, but a few positives. Lichtensteiner was solid when he came on, and once Torreira and lacazette were on, the team came to life. there is something wrong with Mesut Ozil, every pass was behind or in the feet of his teammates, and for a player who wants to wear the 10, he sure seems to have an aversion for being on the ball all the time. Ive never seen a 10 who is on the ball so little, it blows me away.

JACKS
08-12-2018, 07:35 PM
As an United fan, gonna be an ultra long season watching City and Liverpool battle for the title. Jose's gotta go for a fresher mind like Low the German national coach.

Climb01742
08-12-2018, 09:05 PM
spineless performance, but a few positives. Lichtensteiner was solid when he came on, and once Torreira and lacazette were on, the team came to life. there is something wrong with Mesut Ozil, every pass was behind or in the feet of his teammates, and for a player who wants to wear the 10, he sure seems to have an aversion for being on the ball all the time. Ive never seen a 10 who is on the ball so little, it blows me away.

I hope you're right about the positives. It's only one game but their play was so disspirited. I had hopes for a clean slate. Instead, it felt more like a blank slate. About Ozil...I wonder if his psyche is damaged from all the fuss in Germany?

I knew MC was gonna be brutal, but damn, Liverpool looks tough too.

wc1934
08-13-2018, 09:48 AM
As an United fan, gonna be an ultra long season watching City and Liverpool battle for the title. Jose's gotta go for a fresher mind like Low the German national coach.

United fan? You need to start rooting for DC United - Rooney seeking the highlight films - I don't like him but must admit that yesterdays performance was pretty good.

echappist
08-13-2018, 10:25 AM
United fan? You need to start rooting for DC United - Rooney seeking the highlight films - I don't like him but must admit that yesterdays performance was pretty good.

;)

that said, something's awfully wrong when you have Rooney commanding that high a salary (something like $8M USD/year?) when you have others barely scraping six-figures.

I hope you're right about the positives. It's only one game but their play was so disspirited. I had hopes for a clean slate. Instead, it felt more like a blank slate. About Ozil...I wonder if his psyche is damaged from all the fuss in Germany?

I knew MC was gonna be brutal, but damn, Liverpool looks tough too.

Compare and contrast the following (easy to do, as both mainly play as 4-3-3)

Attack: 3 from the group of Aguero, Sterling, Jesus, Sane, Silva (POR), and Mahrez vs
3 from the group of Sturridge, Firminho, Mane, Salah, Shaqiri, and Lallana

Midfield: 3 from the group of KdB, Silva (ESP), Gundogan, Fernandinho, Foden vs
3 from the group of Keita, Fabinho, Milner, Henderson, Wijnaldum

Defense: 4 from the group of Delph, Mendy, Otamendi, Stones, Laporte, Kompany, Walker, and Danilo vs
4 from the group of Robertson, Moreno, van Dijk, Lovren, Matip, Klavan, TAA, and Clyne

In any cup tie between the teams, I'd take the Scousers over MC (little known fact, Klopp is the only coach with a winning record against Guardiola). Over a season, however, MC has more depth overall at least for now, with maybe slightly more depth for LFC for midfield. I'd actually take LFC's first choice defense over that of MC, but other than Clyne, they are really thin.

As for x-factor, Klopp has shown to be astute in identifying and incubating talent. We all smirked when they paid for the underwhelimg Ox; no one was laughing at the end of the season. One of their starting outside backs played on a relegated Hull team; the other an academy product who wasn't able to buy a beer at the start of 2017-2018, but few would trade the pair for any other Premier League pairing now. So who knows, perhaps they'll have fringe players step up to boost depth.

Regardless, would love to see them do well.

------------------------------------------------

On another note, not sure if it's good or bad that Champion's League coverage is now on Turner Sport. For all their bloviating commentators, Fox at least showed most of the games from group stage onward...

JACKS
08-13-2018, 11:16 AM
indeed it was a wonderful pace and skill to make that play.

JACKS
08-13-2018, 11:20 AM
i believe it will comes down to which team have a better record against the Top 6. that should be decider.

;)

that said, something's awfully wrong when you have Rooney commanding that high a salary (something like $8M USD/year?) when you have others barely scraping six-figures.

Compare and contrast the following (easy to do, as both mainly play as 4-3-3)

Attack: 3 from the group of Aguero, Sterling, Jesus, Sane, Silva (POR), and Mahrez vs
3 from the group of Sturridge, Firminho, Mane, Salah, Shaqiri, and Lallana

Midfield: 3 from the group of KdB, Silva (ESP), Gundogan, Fernandinho, Foden vs
3 from the group of Keita, Fabinho, Milner, Henderson, Wijnaldum

Defense: 4 from the group of Delph, Mendy, Otamendi, Stones, Laporte, Kompany, Walker, and Danilo vs
4 from the group of Robertson, Moreno, van Dijk, Lovren, Matip, Klavan, TAA, and Clyne

In any cup tie between the teams, I'd take the Scousers over MC (little known fact, Klopp is the only coach with a winning record against Guardiola). Over a season, however, MC has more depth overall at least for now, with maybe slightly more depth for LFC for midfield. I'd actually take LFC's first choice defense over that of MC, but other than Clyne, they are really thin.

As for x-factor, Klopp has shown to be astute in identifying and incubating talent. We all smirked when they paid for the underwhelimg Ox; no one was laughing at the end of the season. One of their starting outside backs played on a relegated Hull team; the other an academy product who wasn't able to buy a beer at the start of 2017-2018, but few would trade the pair for any other Premier League pairing now. So who knows, perhaps they'll have fringe players step up to boost depth.

Regardless, would love to see them do well.

On another note, not sure if it's good or bad that Champion's League coverage is now on Turner Sport. For all their bloviating commentators, Fox at least showed most of the games from group stage onward...

goonster
08-13-2018, 01:01 PM
I've been a Liverpool fan for twenty years, and have never felt this kind hope, positivity, optimism, etc. This is the year that everything will click.

Van Dijk is tremendous, and the team's defensive record since he joined speaks for itself.

Offensively, they actually have decent depth now. I hadn't really seen Naby Keita play for RBL, but he is exactly the right player to raise this team another notch, i.e. not a guy who sprays the ball in the Xabi Alonso style, but somebody who can carry the ball, draw defenders and then release the ball at exactly the right moment. Shaqiri and (a healthy) Sturridge* are also quite good at football.

Of course the league is Man City's to lose, and Pep has shown that his teams can handle that pressure, but then there was the 2011-2012 season when he failed to defend the title a year after fielding one of the greatest sides ever.

Liverpool can't control whether Man City drop points, but in the head-to-head games Klopp's teams are like the mongoose to Pep's cobra.

When it all comes crashing down, I'll have a party and y'all can dance on the smoldering pile that was the dream. :banana:

(* = a blessing unto your hamstrings . . .)

echappist
08-13-2018, 01:30 PM
I've been a Liverpool fan for twenty years, and have never felt this kind hope, positivity, optimism, etc. This is the year that everything will click.

Van Dijk is tremendous, and the team's defensive record since he joined speaks for itself.

Offensively, they actually have decent depth now. I hadn't really seen Naby Keita play for RBL, but he is exactly the right player to raise this team another notch, i.e. not a guy who sprays the ball in the Xabi Alonso style, but somebody who can carry the ball, draw defenders and then release the ball at exactly the right moment. Shaqiri and (a healthy) Sturridge* are also quite good at football.

Of course the league is Man City's to lose, and Pep has shown that his teams can handle that pressure, but then there was the 2011-2012 season when he failed to defend the title a year after fielding one of the greatest sides ever.

Liverpool can't control whether Man City drop points, but in the head-to-head games Klopp's teams are like the mongoose to Pep's cobra.

When it all comes crashing down, I'll have a party and y'all can dance on the smoldering pile that was the dream. :banana:

(* = a blessing unto your hamstrings . . .)

that'd be really really cruel, given what happened last year and Gerrad's slip with two games left to play (almost Buckner-esque)

out of curiosity, why is your username Goonster as opposed to Scouser?

As for Keita, he's a real dynamo, and I agree with your assessment. Think of it this way, dude excelled playing the box-to-box role is a counter-attacking 4-4-2 system. That role requires a great engine as well as ball-winning abilities. That he can dribble is the (rather useful) icing on top. His only downside is that he may get sent off on a straight red once or twice/season. I think he'll perform Ox's role quite well.

goonster
08-13-2018, 01:33 PM
out of curiosity, why is your username Goonster as opposed to Scouser?

My name is Goon, but I am not a gooner.

gary_a_gooner
08-13-2018, 01:55 PM
gooner checking in. :help:

macaroon
08-13-2018, 02:18 PM

I watched that about three times today; it was so good to see. Maybe we'll get him back in the England team if he continues like that :-D

I just wish he had the mindset of Ronaldo; he had the talent to become one of the best in the world but he didn't seem to want it enough.

Iniesta's first goal for his new club is worth a watch in case anyone's missed it. Two absolute legends combining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LR_1J6JhHA

Seamus
08-14-2018, 07:24 PM
This is the year that everything will click.

*CLEARS THROAT* So you are saying, that "this year will be your year," then?

Lots of sweeping conclusions drawn after one round of games. It's a long season. And longer if you played in the world cup.

JACKS
08-15-2018, 08:40 AM
i vividly remember the blazing start ManU had last season and how it fizzled by December.
but Liverpool is super strong this season for sure. should be an entertaining season.

Lots of sweeping conclusions drawn after one round of games. It's a long season. And longer if you played in the world cup.

goonster
08-15-2018, 08:53 AM

(Straightens back, thrusts out chin defiantly) Yes, that's what I'm saying.

That's not a conclusion after one game, it's a reckless expression of hope and optimism based on
- Momentum from last year
- New signings
- Playing philosophy maturing in a settled squad
- Having seen them in person in pre-season

BobC
08-15-2018, 09:30 AM
Injuries & roster depth will play a significant factor in who ends up where in the Premiership up and down the table.

Too early to commit to anything except for an entertaining season.

As a Watford fan, hoping for the best & preparing for the worst. Not sure Gracia is the answer, but the roster looks solid enough. If they can avoid the typical Christmas fixture meltdown, the Hornets should be OK.

echappist
08-15-2018, 03:23 PM
Oh F***ing A; that penalty against Atletico is really harsh...

echappist
08-15-2018, 04:07 PM
On the bright side, we get to see Saul pull of a helluva volley

echappist
08-18-2018, 02:31 PM
@wc1934, you watching the game btwn Lazio and Parthenope?

Seems like Jorginho and Sarri are both doing well in the Premier League

wc1934
08-19-2018, 10:31 AM
@wc1934, you watching the game btwn Lazio and Parthenope?

Seems like Jorginho and Sarri are both doing well in the Premier League

Yes - good start for both. I miss Sarri - I really like Jorginho and glad he was added to the the national team - finally (better late than never). I am definitely rooting for Chelsea.

Napoli looked suspect at the start (especially the defense - 3 defenders allow Immobile to get off a shot - let alone score. Then the first goal by Millik was disallowed and I was nervous.

Bein stopped broadcasting Serie A games - but, ESPN+ has them 5 bucks a month so I was able to watch the games.

Juve just barely eeked out a win - Partner of Chievo's keeper (Sorrentino) who was injured by Ronaldo posted this: “I can admire real men, like my other half who was lying there unconscious and Tomovic trying everything possible to help him..
Thank you to those who have heart, humanity, dignity and principles! Shame on those who insult, criticise, celebrate or even worse observe and then leave!”

Climb01742
08-19-2018, 10:39 AM
Why do I keep letting the Gunners ruin my weekend? I almost bought a Liverpool hat yesterday online, but couldn’t click buy. Few things dig as deep into you as your favorite club. Damn!;)

echappist
08-19-2018, 11:11 AM
Yes - good start for both. I miss Sarri - I really like Jorginho and glad he was added to the the national team - finally (better late than never). I am definitely rooting for Chelsea.

Napoli looked suspect at the start (especially the defense - 3 defenders allow Immobile to get off a shot - let alone score. Then the first goal by Millik was disallowed and I was nervous.

well, i didn't want to bring that up ;) but since you did, that was atrocious, especially with three high caliber players getting bamboozled like that. I know that Immobile refers to real estate (as in assets that don't move), but he was highly agile and mobile during that play :p

Bein stopped broadcasting Serie A games - but, ESPN+ has them 5 bucks a month so I was able to watch the games.

Juve just barely eeked out a win - Partner of Chievo's keeper (Sorrentino) who was injured by Ronaldo posted this: “I can admire real men, like my other half who was lying there unconscious and Tomovic trying everything possible to help him..
Thank you to those who have heart, humanity, dignity and principles! Shame on those who insult, criticise, celebrate or even worse observe and then leave!”

as much as i don't like ESPN, that may be a good option. Is this stand-alone or does one need to have base coverage first?

I can't stand BeIn for the most part. A lot of boring La Liga and Ligue 1 matches, with one token Serie A match per week. What the hell is that? Add the fact that the annoying blowhard Hudson may be calling the match, almost anything would be better.

Why do I keep letting the Gunners ruin my weekend? I almost bought a Liverpool hat yesterday online, but couldn’t click buy. Few things dig as deep into you as your favorite club. Damn!;)

condolences

but look on the bright side, they were in the match for the last 70 minutes whole match

so wasteful in front of goal though. 3 sitters that didn't even get on target. People who've been watching BVB all know that PEA is mercurial like that, and that his high goal tallies are solely the result of getting ridiculous amount of service and converting a below-average percent of those chances, rather than being clinical.

wc1934
08-19-2018, 01:06 PM

wow -
After today many are saying that Jose's got to go - period.
If things keep going downhill, do you think he will last the season?

echappist
08-19-2018, 08:55 PM
he gets canned the way he got canned in 2015 when he was at Chelsea

that was a shambolic performance...

BobC
08-19-2018, 09:00 PM
Lindelöf & Bailly are not the answer at CB.

Smalling & Evans would have been infinitely better than that performance.

Also, I don't see the attraction of Fred. He provided nothing.

echappist
08-20-2018, 07:36 PM
Liverpool sure won ugly today. Something about the front three not fully clicking. But that back line was stout, though the game could arguably have been 1-2, as Townsend was unlucky to have hit the woodwork.

echappist
08-21-2018, 10:38 AM
@wc1934, not to make you miss him too much, but did you know that both Sarri and his dad were cyclists as well, and that his dad was a pro cyclist? I didn't until I saw this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-CnlRJRaF0

I really don't like Chelsea (with their hooligan fans) and its owner (who built his wealth via figurative looting of assets), but having Sarri there makes them a little bit more likable

wc1934
08-21-2018, 04:59 PM
@wc1934, not to make you miss him too much, but did you know that both Sarri and his dad were cyclists as well, and that his dad was a pro cyclist? I didn't until I saw this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-CnlRJRaF0

I really don't like Chelsea (with their hooligan fans) and its owner (who built his wealth via figurative looting of assets), but having Sarri there makes them a little bit more likable

Hey Jim,
Thanks for the link - I did not know much about Sari's early life.
I agree that it is hard to root for Chelsea because of Abramovich, but I guess I my appreciation of Sarri outweighs my dislike of Roman. They do have a decent roster and should be very competitive.

JACKS
08-21-2018, 05:54 PM
i don't think he will last till the January transfer window. there's seems to be way too much senior management power struggle and different philosophy. i am not looking forward to this season. smells like David Moyes all over again.

wow -
After today many are saying that Jose's got to go - period.
If things keep going downhill, do you think he will last the season?

wc1934
08-24-2018, 11:41 AM

The latest article from Football Italia:

Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri ‘doesn’t miss’ Aurelio De Laurentiis claims it is the other way round because the Napoli chief ‘talks about me’.

De Laurentiis took his latest swipe at Sarri on Friday morning, claiming the Coach won nothing despite being given ‘everything’ at the San Paolo, and the Coach responded to his former employer.

“De Laurentiis talks about me because he misses me,” he continued at his Newcastle United Press conference.

“For now, I don’t miss him. It’s true that we didn’t win anything at Napoli, but we set the club points record at 91 and we qualified for the Champions League twice.

“I think Naples and Napoli must be proud of these results. We faced a Juventus side who, in the last few years, have won everything in Italy.”

echappist
08-25-2018, 06:44 PM
@wc1934, did you need to reach for any heart meds today?

at this rate, you may need to get the double strength by next month. And to think, they aren't at full strength yet, which should bode well

--------------------------

The Liverpool v Brighton match was surprisingly close. That front line just isn't syncing correctly at the moment, but should be a real menace in a few weeks.

wc1934
08-25-2018, 08:39 PM

at this rate, you may need to get the double strength by next month. And to think, they aren't at full strength yet, which should bode well

The Liverpool v Brighton match was surprisingly close. That front line just isn't syncing correctly at the moment, but should be a real menace in a few weeks.

WHEW - nail biter and I was cussing at the tv being 2 down. I really didnt want them to lose to Milan (Higuain and Reina). With Milik starting (finally healthy after 2 acl surgeries on both knees) they now have a true no.9 . So far Mertens has accepted his role of coming off the bench.

echappist
08-26-2018, 02:33 PM
but Mertens surely has proven his worth the last two years? perhaps he can go back to playing as a winger? Though with somany competitions, it may be good to have a rotation.

also, you think it was a good idea to let Reyna go? Dude is getting up there in age but didn't seem to lose too much

goonster
08-27-2018, 03:49 PM
"Lads, it's United."

wc1934
08-27-2018, 04:40 PM
but Mertens surely has proven his worth the last two years? perhaps he can go back to playing as a winger? Though with somany competitions, it may be good to have a rotation.

also, you think it was a good idea to let Reyna go? Dude is getting up there in age but didn't seem to lose too much

Totally agree that Mertens has proven his worth the past two years (was even better after Higuain left). And he played very well in the WC. I was afraid that he wouldn't re-sign as his wife didnt like the smog, but she apparently disliked China even more.
I was surprised that Reyna left Napoli to accept a backup role at Milan, but he is getting older so they went with youth - Meret is only 21 (unproven, but Conte liked him enough to add him to the WC qualification squad). He is now injured (but I do support the youth movement). So, Ochoa is now wearing the gloves. I didnt know much about him before this WC, but he had a nice run with a number of clean sheets.

Sarri still undefeated - they beat Newcastle and Benitez (who I think set Napoli back during his tenure).

wc1934
08-27-2018, 06:34 PM
"Lads, it's United."

"Lads, it's United - smoked again."

echappist
08-27-2018, 10:20 PM
"Lads, it's United - smoked again."

you guys beat me to it:beer::banana:

one may say that performance by ManU was Spursy AF, but that'd require ManU to be actually leading at some point before losing.

Totally agree that Mertens has proven his worth the past two years (was even better after Higuain left). And he played very well in the WC. I was afraid that he wouldn't re-sign as his wife didnt like the smog, but she apparently disliked China even more.
how bad is the smog in Naples? as you mentioned, can't be any worse than it is in China. they really ought to be wearing respirators while playing in China...

had an allergic reaction to the air last time I was in China. It wasn't even that bad, and I didn't engage in any exercise, but within one week, I thought I came down with a really bad cold. In reality, it was my lungs having issues with the particulates, despite wearing a respirator while outside...

I was surprised that Reyna left Napoli to accept a backup role at Milan, but he is getting older so they went with youth - Meret is only 21 (unproven, but Conte liked him enough to add him to the WC qualification squad). He is now injured (but I do support the youth movement). So, Ochoa is now wearing the gloves. I didnt know much about him before this WC, but he had a nice run with a number of clean sheets.

Sarri still undefeated - they beat Newcastle and Benitez (who I think set Napoli back during his tenure).

Ochoa as in Memo Ochoa?

Oh my, where do i start. I think he's inconsistent, and he's never played at a high level club before. I believe that two years ago, his La Liga club got relegated...

echappist
08-29-2018, 12:00 PM
so there's apparently a top-of-the-table clash this weekend.

i'm talking the Watford-Spurs match on Sunday, of course. Bit surreal. Watford not dropping a single point so far this year. Then again, they started hot three years ago and faded

BobC
08-29-2018, 08:04 PM

i'm talking the Watford-Spurs match on Sunday, of course. Bit surreal. Watford not dropping a single point so far this year. Then again, they started hot three years ago and faded

As a long-time Watford fan, their 3-0 start just means they are 31 points from safety. Last week's match against Palace was UGLY. Spurs are at a different level. I just hope they acquit themselves well.

Overall, Hornets are a solid squad without Deulofeu healthy yet, so I am optimist they will not figure in the relegation battle drama. Midtable would be nice.

echappist
08-30-2018, 09:27 AM
As a long-time Watford fan, their 3-0 start just means they are 31 points from safety. Last week's match against Palace was UGLY. Spurs are at a different level. I just hope they acquit themselves well.

Overall, Hornets are a solid squad without Deulofeu healthy yet, so I am optimist they will not figure in the relegation battle drama. Midtable would be nice.

I think they may even have a tilt at top half. As you said, 9 points in the bank means 31 points from the next 35 matches, and the advantage here is that the later a team needs to secure those points, the more mentally draining it becomes. Big leg up over the likes of Burnley, who's expected to do well but got tripped up by Europa qualifying matches.

And speaking of European football, what a farce that LFC is in the 3rd pot, while Lokomotiv Moscow is in the 1st pot. Also hugely unfair is the 5-year rolling window for accumulation of UEFA coefficient points. Really should be capped at three years. BVB and Benfica really don't deserve to be seeded this high...

echappist
08-30-2018, 01:26 PM
What a joke of a draw. We have joke groups like Groups D, E, & F, each with only one quality team, while the likes of Groups A, B, C, (and possibly H) all have three contenders...

apologies to @wc1934, another year Napoli gets drawn into a group of death

wc1934
08-30-2018, 04:57 PM
What a joke of a draw. We have joke groups like Groups D, E, & F, each with only one quality team, while the likes of Groups A, B, C, (and possibly H) all have three contenders...

apologies to @wc1934, another year Napoli gets drawn into a group of death
PSG and Liverpool!!!! Something is not right!

wc1934
08-30-2018, 05:05 PM

However, I forgot that Buffon is suspended for 3 matches because of his red from the quarter-final RM match.

BobC
09-02-2018, 12:49 PM

Wow. Never saw that coming.

Still, 28 points from safety. No need to get ahead of oneself.

echappist
09-02-2018, 01:41 PM
Wow. Never saw that coming.

Still, 28 points from safety. No need to get ahead of oneself.

that game was quite the Spursy match... too bad they weren't showing it on TV

I think Watford will challenge Everton for a Europa League spot, though those are usually kiss of death sort of deal

the coefficient scores are all messed up. goes back 5 year; not at all representative on a team's strength. then you have the champions of Russia going into pot 1, which is how we get Group D...

really should be champions of the top 5 leagues + CL & UL champions in pot 1, and what ever spots remaining goes to top seeded non-champions.

wc1934
09-02-2018, 08:28 PM

Needed more than heart meds today - ouch!
As I mentioned to Cadence90, I guess I would make a poor Mister - but, how can they not start Mertens (reverting back to the days of Benitez). Isnt there a way that both he and Milik can be on the pitch at the same time?

echappist
09-11-2018, 07:42 PM
yikes, didn't see that coming; Croatia took a royal shellacking...

or should I say, Croatia did not expect to be the subject of an inquisition ;)

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/60/aa/1b/60aa1b5a0d03f497b03c1357a3b3e54b.jpg

wc1934
09-13-2018, 01:15 PM
yikes, didn't see that coming; Croatia took a royal shellacking...

or should I say, Croatia did not expect to be the subject of an inquisition ;)

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/60/aa/1b/60aa1b5a0d03f497b03c1357a3b3e54b.jpg

Me either - I liked Croatia in the WC, but this was not the same team.
I was surprised by the play of Spain (passes and possession) - and no Pique.

echappist
09-15-2018, 09:55 AM
what a job done by the Scousers. Though it's gotta be a bit disconcerting that their front 3's rhythm and decision making still seems a bit off. Wonder how long that engine needs to get warmed up. Hopefully before they take on Chelsea and Sheikty

wc1934
09-15-2018, 08:41 PM
Zlatan again

http://www.espn.com/soccer/major-league-soccer/story/3593206/zlatan-ibrahimovic-scores-to-reach-500-goals-for-club-and-country

wc1934
09-16-2018, 05:25 PM
Sarri off to a great start - says he wants to improve his d - but his signing wont be to shabby.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/16/chelsea-in-pole-position-to-seal-federico-chiesa-transfer-in-january-7950392/

echappist
09-16-2018, 05:40 PM
Zlatan again

http://www.espn.com/soccer/major-league-soccer/story/3593206/zlatan-ibrahimovic-scores-to-reach-500-goals-for-club-and-country
easy peasy. he practices that kick numerous times in martial arts, so it carried easily to futbol ;)

and on a tangent, look at Michael Bradley. He who once played on Lazio and Roma is a shell of his former self.

---------------------------------------------------

As for Sarri, when do you think ADL realizes he f***ed up? Truth be told, I never liked Chelsea due to their kleptomanic owner and their fan's nasty habit of being anti-Semitic, but they appear legit. Hazard seems rejuvenated, now that he doesn't have to worry about defensive efforts. All eyes have been on Liverpool and MNC, but Chelsea lurks

wc1934
09-18-2018, 09:26 AM
Champions League games today!!!
Some interesting matchups - I am nervous already.

echappist
09-18-2018, 12:42 PM
I ponied up for TNT's coverage (under the brand Bleacher Report Live). $9.99/month. Get to watch Inter - Spurs as opposed to Barca - PSV. Also have replays afterwards, which is nice

I figure, 3 months for group stage, and 1 months for round of 16. Quarter and Semi-finals will be on TNT.

Also, the production stinks right now. Went into ad mode with 1:30 still left in the half...

wc1934
09-18-2018, 02:59 PM
I ponied up for TNT's coverage (under the brand Bleacher Report Live). $9.99/month. Get to watch Inter - Spurs as opposed to Barca - PSV. Also have replays afterwards, which is nice

I figure, 3 months for group stage, and 1 months for round of 16. Quarter and Semi-finals will be on TNT.

Also, the production stinks right now. Went into ad mode with 1:30 still left in the half...

Cadence90 is happy after today's match!

martl
09-18-2018, 03:12 PM
Champions League games today!!!
Some interesting matchups - I am nervous already.

mildly excited i'd say. Nerves are for the ko stages :)

gary_a_gooner
09-18-2018, 04:20 PM
Thought Liverpool really outplayed PSG today and they deserved that win. Not sure what Tuchel has PSG players doing.

wc1934
09-19-2018, 03:18 PM
Straight red - CR7 leaves the pitch in tears!!! There's no crying in soccer.

echappist
09-19-2018, 03:32 PM
Cadence90 is happy after today's match!

i bet :)

Spurs were, well, Spursy as hell

Straight red - CR7 leaves the pitch in tears!!! There's no crying in soccer.

;)

not quite sure what exactly; CR7 struck the head of the other player?
Thought Liverpool really outplayed PSG today and they deserved that win. Not sure what Tuchel has PSG players doing.

he can bark all the instructions he want, a few of those players aren't gonna be bothered...

martl
09-19-2018, 04:46 PM
not quite sure what exactly; CR7 struck the head of the other player?

according to german tv, because of the foul that lead to the player being on the ground.

Climb01742
09-19-2018, 08:19 PM
Messi seems in mid-season form. All three goals were beauties. Has anyone ever been so causally extraordinary?

echappist
09-20-2018, 04:19 PM
according to german tv, because of the foul that lead to the player being on the ground.

and you just knew that Ronaldo was gonna get a slap on the wrist, as UEFA needs its cut from the gate receipts of the Man U - Juve match...

btw, Sanches is apparently back in game-day squads for Bayern?

martl
09-21-2018, 08:18 AM
and you just knew that Ronaldo was gonna get a slap on the wrist, as UEFA needs its cut from the gate receipts of the Man U - Juve match...

btw, Sanches is apparently back in game-day squads for Bayern?

I don't really buy in those conspiracy theories about single players. Whats to gain? Also Brych may not be the best ref out there, but he's decent, and straight. Most refs are.

Sanches: happy for the boy, such a performance in front of his home crowd may just be what he needed. I still remain to be convinced he has all it takes to play at the highest level, but that's a nother story. He played a good pre-season, got knocked back by a minor injury, and competition in Bayerns MF is brutal. He didn't even make the squad in the last matches and only slipped into the starting squad because Thiago, Tolisso and otheres weren't fit, i recon he is still behind them in the pecking order. also Kovac may feel against most Bundesliga opponents, he needs technical acumen and vision more than physical power and dynamics in a midfielder.

Stil, he has developed since his first stint in Munich, and that wasn't to be expected after his experiences since.

wc1934
09-21-2018, 12:06 PM
I don't really buy in those conspiracy theories about single players. Whats to gain? Also Brych may not be the best ref out there, but he's decent, and straight. Most refs are.

Sanches: happy for the boy, such a performance in front of his home crowd may just be what he needed. I still remain to be convinced he has all it takes to play at the highest level, but that's a nother story. He played a good pre-season, got knocked back by a minor injury, and competition in Bayerns MF is brutal. He didn't even make the squad in the last matches and only slipped into the starting squad because Thiago, Tolisso and otheres weren't fit, i recon he is still behind them in the pecking order. also Kovac may feel against most Bundesliga opponents, he needs technical acumen and vision more than physical power and dynamics in a midfielder.

Stil, he has developed since his first stint in Munich, and that wasn't to be expected after his experiences since.

Brych was the ref so he issued/presented the red, but I believe that the call was made by the linesman. (For what it's worth)

echappist
09-29-2018, 09:11 AM
saw this else where:

1st season: buy £400m bus
2nd season: park the bus
3rd season: crash the bus

and then throwing your players under the said bus

that was hilarious. the first goal was just comical, with all the triangle passing, finishing with a cross into the box that got buried into the net. textbook stuff

ETA: we then have Chelsea-Liverpool and Juve-Napoli today. Few cracking matches today

wc1934
09-29-2018, 03:39 PM
saw this else where:

that was hilarious. the first goal was just comical, with all the triangle passing, finishing with a cross into the box that got buried into the net. textbook stuff

ETA: we then have Chelsea-Liverpool and Juve-Napoli today. Few cracking matches today

Napoli misses Sarri. Got off to a good start - tough to come back being a man down - played ok but the passing was so so and players were in always in the correct position.

wc1934
10-02-2018, 04:25 PM
ManU looked so uninspired and unimaginative (against Valencia, who has only 1 win so far this season).
Their attack lacked energy. I expected so much more from Pogba and Lukaku.
Have the players given up on Mourinho?

RM looses.

And 2 wins from the Serie A teams -

echappist
10-02-2018, 06:02 PM
ManU looked so uninspired and unimaginative (against Valencia, who has only 1 win so far this season).
Their attack lacked energy. I expected so much more from Pogba and Lukaku.
Have the players given up on Mourinho?

RM looses.

And 2 wins from the Serie A teams -

not to mention BM tying at home. but tomorrow is even better. Spurs v Barça, Napoli v LFC, and PSV v Inter. I'm taking off tomorrow afternoon to "cook meals," by which i mean chopping a lot of vegetables while watching the matches. They really ought to have moved either the Spurs game or the Napoli game up though...

How much longer do you think Mourinho is gonna last? 2 weeks?

wc1934
10-02-2018, 07:58 PM
not to mention BM tying at home. but tomorrow is even better. Spurs v Barça, Napoli v LFC, and PSV v Inter. I'm taking off tomorrow afternoon to "cook meals," by which i mean chopping a lot of vegetables while watching the matches. They really ought to have moved either the Spurs game or the Napoli game up though...

How much longer do you think Mourinho is gonna last? 2 weeks?

Yes. There are some important matchups tomorrow.

According to many reports, they have had multiple conversations with Zinedine Zidane and it is only a matter of time. However, they have been saying this for awhile, so we will see.

echappist
10-03-2018, 04:45 PM
@wc1934, you willing to give Ancelotti a chance now, after that ;)

they should have won 2-0. LFC seems out of it, of sorts

wc1934
10-03-2018, 07:30 PM
@wc1934, you willing to give Ancelotti a chance now, after that ;)

they should have won 2-0. LFC seems out of it, of sorts

Champions league is starting to heat up.
I was worried as Liverpool won 5-0 in their friendly months ago.
I like the 4-4-2 (seem more balanced) as opposed to Sarri’s 4-3-3. I also like that he is taking advantage of Insigne in a central position and Callejon out wide with Mertens playing behind, and Hamsik back as the playmaker that he is.
I am happy - they are atop their group (of death).

But they lost to Juve on Sat :mad:

goonster
10-04-2018, 03:07 PM
Hamsik back as the playmaker that he is.

C'mon, Hamsik was never a regista, and this is the most withdrawn role he has ever played. Maybe it makes sense with advancing age, but I was under the impression that the jury was still very much out on whether this will work.

I thought Milik had a lot of looks at goal (and always shot wide), and Callejon was always dangerous.

Liverpool were terrible, really flat, their worst game of the season, by far. I still think it will click eventually, but it has been a while now since they've launched one of those killer counterattacks.

echappist
10-04-2018, 05:14 PM
C'mon, Hamsik was never a regista, and this is the most withdrawn role he has ever played. Maybe it makes sense with advancing age, but I was under the impression that the jury was still very much out on whether this will work.

I thought Milik had a lot of looks at goal (and always shot wide), and Callejon was always dangerous.

Liverpool were terrible, really flat, their worst game of the season, by far. I still think it will click eventually, but it has been a while now since they've launched one of those killer counterattacks.

Mertens really ought to have started that game....

As for Hamsik, he was getting ran ragged toward the end and coughed up the ball a few times in the last 10 minutes. Though Napoli deserved to win, they were lucky that Hamsik didn't gift LFC a goal (or two).

as for LFC, it's getting harder to watch their games. The front three are disjointed, and both Salah and Mane seems off. Might not hurt to start Shaqiri and Sturridge for once and have Salah and/or Mane run at some tired legs. I thought Keita was going to adapt into the Ox role, but it's been taking the former quite a bit of time...

They better hope that things start clicking before Sunday. Then again, Sheikty didn't look all that convincing either against Hoffenheim

wc1934
10-04-2018, 06:06 PM
Alleged rape allegations may cause Nike and EA Sports to distance themselves from CR7. And, he wont be on the national team against Poland and Scotland.

https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2018/10/4/17938012/cristiano-ronaldo-rape-case-der-spiegel-kathryn-mayorga

echappist
10-04-2018, 06:52 PM
Alleged rape allegations may cause Nike and EA Sports to distance themselves from CR7. And, he wont be on the national team against Poland and Scotland.

https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2018/10/4/17938012/cristiano-ronaldo-rape-case-der-spiegel-kathryn-mayorga

i usually stay away from celebrity news and such, but man, Juve is playing classic Chewbacca defense there. It's often better to stay silent and say nothing as opposed to come across like a bumbling (and morally suspect) fool...

I think Cadence90 may be right after all re: the biggest dirtbag in soccer...

echappist
10-06-2018, 01:38 PM
bloody hell, Jose fights on to live another day... What a thriller

that BvB - Augsburg match wasn't half bad either. Substitute striker comes on in the second half and bags a hat trick, including a game winning free kick that went around the wall

Climb01742
10-07-2018, 07:58 AM
Dare I begin to believe in my Gunners again? Six league wins in a row. Third on the table. 5-1 today. My heart says yes but my mind and history says ‘Easy, Romeo.’;)

echappist
10-07-2018, 09:14 AM
well, your front four is surely a menace. also like the signing of the Uruguayan DM. Much more disciplined, similar in style of Kante at Leicester and under Conte

wc1934
10-07-2018, 10:47 AM
Jose only temporarily delayed the inevitable. Down 2-0 against a weak Newcastle at home - then refs blew a handball call. Sanchez saved the day but
only a matter of time.

Climb01742
10-07-2018, 10:52 AM
I don’t know enough intricacies of the game to explain it better but they feel more organized. Their runs forward seem more purposeful. At the end with AW, it seemed like a pass and a prayer.

wc1934
10-09-2018, 09:54 AM
Arsenal and Adidas have agreed a new kit partnership, effective from July 1, 2019

60 million dollar contract so Puma's gone. Climb1742, time to buy a new kit.

wc1934
10-11-2018, 08:32 PM
USA (sans Pulisic) getting schooled by Columbia - 74th minute and it is 4-2.
When are we going to get a coach. Sarachan has tried, but.......

echappist
10-11-2018, 08:52 PM
I turned it off at half time. Unwatchable dross...

Surprised they actually managed to score...

echappist
10-12-2018, 08:38 AM
that Weah kid looks to be pretty good. it's almost like he's gotten proper tutelage from a young age ;)

Good to see Wood break his duck. Two goals last weekend, and a goal last night. Still not sure if he's the answer long term (one'd think that Sargent has the tools to be), but he appears more competent than Jozy, though that's not saying a lot

Climb01742
10-12-2018, 09:44 AM
Arsenal and Adidas have agreed a new kit partnership, effective from July 1, 2019

60 million dollar contract so Puma's gone. Climb1742, time to buy a new kit.

I'd be happy with just a good hat.

As an aside, seeing the NB logo on Liverpool's kit always throws me. To me, NB = running, but I assume it's part of the Boston connection via ownership.

wc1934
10-12-2018, 10:15 AM
I'd be happy with just a good hat.

As an aside, seeing the NB logo on Liverpool's kit always throws me. To me, NB = running, but I assume it's part of the Boston connection via ownership.

Yeah, big money in those sponsorships - surely the John Henry (Fenway sports group) connection and in the past I believe NB had manufacturing in Ireland and England.
As an aside, not much news about the Adidas executive and the bribing scandal.

wc1934
10-12-2018, 10:20 AM
I turned it off at half time. Unwatchable dross...

Surprised they actually managed to score...

Need to take lessons from the women's national team who embarrassingly scored 7 against T & T.

WE NEED A COACH - what is taking so long?

Mzilliox
10-12-2018, 10:37 AM
Dare I begin to believe in my Gunners again? Six league wins in a row. Third on the table. 5-1 today. My heart says yes but my mind and history says ‘Easy, Romeo.’;)

Not so fast. Im enjoying the run, and i think I like Emery. Anyone who Benches Ozil and has the balls to play Lacazette as the withdrawn 9 is at least trying to work with what he has. the emergence of Iwobi is gonna be a key factor. if he can provide us width out right, Lacazette stays the withdrawn 9 or creative 10, and auba plays in his central role where he is more deadly, we may have a chance. What we lack still is steel in the middle, but i think thats being provided by torreira who is finding his way in the side now. I still wonder about xhaka long term, i dont see what hes providing. and we have a massive problem at the back, Mustafi is a wild card, and ballerina cant defend.

since the first day i saw lacazette in the side i decided he was Arsenals Best player. I think this is still the case and i hope coach Emery continues to use lacazette in the withdrawn 9 role. If we have that attack balance, we will continue to get results despite a shaky defence.

wc1934
10-12-2018, 01:10 PM
Usain Bolt - Marketing ploy or.....

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2800443-usain-bolt-scores-a-brace-in-first-start-for-central-coast-mariners?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

echappist
10-12-2018, 01:14 PM
Marketing ploy. if you think the MNT doesnt have players with silky first touch, well, wait until you see Bolt. the ball boomerangs off of his limbs...

echappist
10-13-2018, 09:39 AM
Not so fast. Im enjoying the run, and i think I like Emery. Anyone who Benches Ozil and has the balls to play Lacazette as the withdrawn 9 is at least trying to work with what he has. the emergence of Iwobi is gonna be a key factor. if he can provide us width out right, Lacazette stays the withdrawn 9 or creative 10, and auba plays in his central role where he is more deadly, we may have a chance. What we lack still is steel in the middle, but i think thats being provided by torreira who is finding his way in the side now. I still wonder about xhaka long term, i dont see what hes providing. and we have a massive problem at the back, Mustafi is a wild card, and ballerina cant defend.

since the first day i saw lacazette in the side i decided he was Arsenals Best player. I think this is still the case and i hope coach Emery continues to use lacazette in the withdrawn 9 role. If we have that attack balance, we will continue to get results despite a shaky defence.

saw this (sorry about large pic size; can't slim it down). granted, he's been playing more often lately, but he really seems to shore up the defence. you wonder how things would have turned out had the schedule been a bit more kind (viz. Sheikty and Chelsea to play Arsenal now, rather than mid August)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DpT0BQJW4AIdsdR.jpg

echappist
10-13-2018, 04:28 PM
Where's my post ribbing Germany from a few months back?

Johan Guttenberg, Werner Heisenberg, Max Schmelling, Martin Luther, Count Otto von Bismarck, Ludwig Beethoven, Angela Merkel, can you hear me? Can you hear me, Angie Merkel? Your boys took a helluva beating, your boys took a helluva beating!!!

The Dutch is in resurgent mode after underperforming for about 4 years; reversion to the mean, if you will. Germany seems to headed headed where the Dutch were, if the former don't shape up real quick. Apparently the Dutch haven't beaten the Germans in a competitive match going back at least 5 years...

wc1934
10-13-2018, 06:00 PM
Where's my post ribbing Germany from a few months back?

Johan Guttenberg, Werner Heisenberg, Max Schmelling, Martin Luther, Count Otto von Bismarck, Ludwig Beethoven, Angela Merkel, can you hear me? Can you hear me, Angie Merkel? Your boys took a helluva beating, your boys took a helluva beating!!!

The Dutch is in resurgent mode after underperforming for about 4 years; reversion to the mean, if you will. Germany seems to headed headed where the Dutch were, if the former don't shape up real quick. Apparently the Dutch haven't beaten the Germans in a competitive match going back at least 5 years...

Didn't see that happening - yeah - I think more like 15.
Will Lowe get any heat (lost last 5 out of 9), is Germany getting old, etc.?
We will find out, as they play France next.

As an aside I just finished reading Ajax, the Dutch, the War : Football in Europe During the Second World War. Pretty informative.

echappist
10-13-2018, 06:26 PM
Didn't see that happening - yeah - I think more like 15.
Will Lowe get any heat (lost last 5 out of 9), is Germany getting old, etc.?
We will find out, as they play France next.

As an aside I just finished reading Ajax, the Dutch, the War : Football in Europe During the Second World War. Pretty informative.

apparently more than we both thought. 1992 was the last time de Oranje beat de Mannschaft, back in the 92 Euros.

I knew that Ajax has a proud Jewish heritage; was that one of the big focuses of the book?

echappist
10-20-2018, 02:59 PM
for once, people taking responsibilities for wrongs done: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/oct/20/maurizio-sarri-chelsea-apology-jose-mourinho-manchester-united

compare this to the cat fight btwn 3-nil and Conte last year

wc1934
10-20-2018, 06:20 PM
for once, people taking responsibilities for wrongs done: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/oct/20/maurizio-sarri-chelsea-apology-jose-mourinho-manchester-united

compare this to the cat fight btwn 3-nil and Conte last year

Jose showed some class in the interview:

http://www.espn.com/soccer/blog/the-match/60/post/3672843/jose-mourinho-again-the-main-story-despite-thrilling-man-united-and-chelsea-draw

echappist
10-24-2018, 02:31 PM
Jose showed some class in the interview:

http://www.espn.com/soccer/blog/the-match/60/post/3672843/jose-mourinho-again-the-main-story-despite-thrilling-man-united-and-chelsea-draw

and hell freezes over ;)

--------------------------------------

as for the PSV Spurs match, well, that was Spursy as hell... can't think of a more kafkaesque way to throwing the game away than to have your keeper get sent off...

interesting match btwn Atleti and BVB. Of course TNT isn't going to show it (though Barça v Inter is a very good match)

wc1934
10-24-2018, 04:44 PM
and hell freezes over ;)

--------------------------------------

as for the PSV Spurs match, well, that was Spursy as hell... can't think of a more kafkaesque way to throwing the game away than to have your keeper get sent off...

interesting match btwn Atleti and BVB. Of course TNT isn't going to show it (though Barça v Inter is a very good match)

Ohh, my Napoli. so close. Winning 2-1 (and that one was an own goal). 5 minutes of extra time and DiMaria (whom I like) scores - ohhh the heartache.

echappist
10-24-2018, 05:56 PM
sorry about the tie. If memory serves correctly, Di Maria played for Napoli previously, right? Very interesting group, as all top three teams have a good chance of going through.

i knew i couldn't get any work done this afternoon anyway, so i went for a ride at 3:30 instead. Got back and just finished watching the second half of the BVB Atleti game. And I have to say, hahahahahahaha, the so-called La Liga tough guys got spanked. Such sore losers, too. I expect bad behavior from Diego Costa, but their entire backline got in on the act...

echappist
10-24-2018, 06:32 PM
also, noticed that the starting goalie for both Juve and Napoli are former Arsenal players. Both were actually on Arsenal's books at the same time. Wonder if they regret selling either or both of them, now that Cech is in decline

echappist
10-28-2018, 02:41 PM
this perhaps captures my reaction to what happened to Real in La Classica

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/simpsons/images/e/e9/Nelson_Ha-Ha.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20121205194057

serves them right for sabotaging their national team

wc1934
10-29-2018, 09:03 AM
Sarri sets new Chelsea record:
"Maurizio Sarri has set a new record as the first Chelsea manager ever to go unbeaten in his opening 10 Premier League games.

The former Empoli and Napoli Coach still hasn’t tasted defeat in the tournament since replacing Antonio Conte this season.

Today’s 4-0 demolition of Burnley was achieved without star man Eden Hazard, who was left behind due to an injury.

Sarri has won seven of his first 10 Premier League games, drawing the other three.

Chelsea also won their three Europa League matches and beat Liverpool to reach the fourth round of the Carabao Cup."

echappist
10-29-2018, 09:06 AM
Condolences re: Napoli. Why wasnt Mertens introduced earlier? All very strange to have your top scorers from the past few seasons to appear as supersub

Also, why is the Napoli stadium half empty?

wc1934
10-29-2018, 03:16 PM
Condolences re: Napoli. Why wasnt Mertens introduced earlier? All very strange to have your top scorers from the past few seasons to appear as supersub

I have no idea - Mertens and Lorenzo seem to have good chemistry and anticipate each others runs. Benitez didn't use him much either, but he flourished under Sarri.
Commentator stated that the "fans" didn't show up as they were saving their money to spend on the upcoming champions league game. ???

wc1934
10-29-2018, 03:21 PM
this perhaps captures my reaction to what happened to Real in La Classica

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/simpsons/images/e/e9/Nelson_Ha-Ha.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20121205194057

serves them right for sabotaging their national team

RM in "real" turmoil -just fired Lopetegui and appointed Santiago Solari as "caretaker manager". Seems like their interest in Conte has diminished.

wc1934
11-02-2018, 07:02 PM

Scored a hat trick today against Empoli (shame on the keeper for the last one, but still). PSG on Tuesday (with Buffon in goal) - Wonder if Ancelotti will start him?

Did you hear about this SUPER LEAGUE - first I read about it:

"The Football Leaks investigation claims 16 European clubs, including Juventus, Milan, Inter and Roma, have been negotiating to form a Super League.

This idea had been floated in the open before, but according to the trans-national investigation resulting from hacked emails obtained by Der Spiegel, there were and above all still are concrete steps taken to make it a reality.

The clubs allegedly involved on the ground floor in this Super League plot starting in January 2016 were Real Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester United, Bayern Munich, Juventus, Chelsea, Arsenal, Paris Saint-Germain, Manchester City, Liverpool and Milan.

It is claimed they “went behind the backs of UEFA and other clubs to work on the option of leaving their national leagues and associations.”

There are even emails in the hacked Football Leaks information dump warning “we need to be very careful moving forward and avoid at all costs the perception of a cartel.”

That was eventually used as part of negotiations with UEFA for the bigger clubs to get a larger cut of revenue from the Champions League.

However, the Super League idea has not gone away, with claims an email was sent only days ago with a draft 13-page ‘binding term sheet’ of 11 European clubs.

The plan would be to effectively eliminate the Champions League by 2021.

Along with the 11 founding clubs, who would not be at risk of relegation and guaranteed a place in it for 20 years, another five clubs would be invited for a 16-team league.

The five ‘initial guests’ would be Inter and Roma from Serie A, Atletico Madrid, Borussia Dortmund and Olympique Marseille.

“The document even lists the ownership stakes held by the individual clubs in the joint European Super League company, with Real Madrid holding 18.77 percent, Barcelona 17.61 percent, Manchester United 12.58 percent and Bayern Munich 8.29 percent.

There is no mention of UEFA in the entire draft contract.”

echappist
11-02-2018, 07:06 PM
that superleague thing just stinks. i mean Man-U this year being a top team? what a joke

anti-competitive at its core, and don't get me started why the likes of Arsenal and Inter should be invited, based on performance of the past 5 years...

wc1934
11-03-2018, 03:47 PM
that superleague thing just stinks. i mean Man-U this year being a top team? what a joke

anti-competitive at its core, and don't get me started why the likes of Arsenal and Inter should be invited, based on performance of the past 5 years...

Another article about the super league - how did I miss this (huge news).
Anti-competitive - yup - no relegation for the founders.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2804266-report-european-super-league-planned-for-2021-arsenal-to-opt-out

wc1934
11-05-2018, 03:31 PM

Wenger to Milan?

"Reports in France state Arsene Wenger is very close to agreeing a deal to become the new Milan Coach.

The veteran tactician has been without a club since leaving Arsenal at the end of last season, having spent 22 years with the Gunners.

In a recent interview he revealed that he expects to return to work in early 2019, and he’s been linked with Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, Fenerbahce and the Chinese national team.

According to France Football though, he has in fact been in negotiations with Milan for several weeks.

Negotiations are said to be close to conclusion, with Wenger ready to replace Gennaro Gattuso as Rossoneri Coach.

The Frenchman would also have a larger role than the traditional Serie A Coach, as he’d work with Leonardo on transfers.

While he wouldn’t quite be the English-style manager he was at Arsenal, he’d be given a greater input that Ringhio.

Elliott Management owners Paul and Gordon Singer are known to be Arsenal fans, and France Football states that some sources are even reporting a done deal".

wc1934
11-06-2018, 01:54 PM
Group of death just got tighter. Soccer is a funny game - Liverpool just got beat 2-0. Red Star had a pretty aggressive keeper.

echappist
11-07-2018, 03:25 PM
Group of death just got tighter. Soccer is a funny game - Liverpool just got beat 2-0. Red Star had a pretty aggressive keeper.

Any one of the three teams may get knocked out. That group is fun to watch but so unfair. The you have the group with Schalke...

Was watching the Juve ManU game. CR7 decided to celebrate by baring midriffs... classless tool

echappist
11-08-2018, 07:37 PM
how you like me now?

https://images.performgroup.com/di/library/GOAL/53/3f/jose-mourinho-manchester-united-2018-19_f3vjxuxkhgni1hh3wykuze1if.jpg?t=-235386098&quality=90&w=1280

sree-nil. sree-nil. you know what that means? It means we beat'em sree times in Turin, also the score line when we last beat'em

Show me some respek, Chiellini, respek, man

------------------------

okay, enough of my horrible attempt at comedy. I don't like Man U, but I get a smirk anytime someone beats a team playing home games at Arroganz stadium/arena

wc1934
11-09-2018, 08:57 AM
how you like me now?

https://images.performgroup.com/di/library/GOAL/53/3f/jose-mourinho-manchester-united-2018-19_f3vjxuxkhgni1hh3wykuze1if.jpg?t=-235386098&quality=90&w=1280

sree-nil. sree-nil. you know what that means? It means we beat'em sree times in Turin, also the score line when we last beat'em

Show me some respek, Chiellini, respek, man

------------------------

okay, enough of my horrible attempt at comedy. I don't like Man U, but I get a smirk anytime someone beats a team playing home games at Arroganz stadium/arena
except (for me), when it is Jose. I couldnt decide who I wanted to lose more - Jose or CR7. They need to reunite so I can place all my contempt at one team.

echappist
11-10-2018, 01:30 PM
petrol dollars v Jose tomorrow. not sure whom i dislike more ;)

what a match over in Germany. Bayern had two goals ruled offside, and BVB rode its luck a bit, but a few quality goals there. Definitely two hours well spent watching that

echappist
11-11-2018, 02:17 PM
And Barça got schooled at home. Rather uncharacteristic. Them again, the top of the La Liga table is so unexpected. That other club from Barcelona is actually within a few points of Barça. Remarkable. All the while Real is just teetering

wc1934
11-13-2018, 10:32 AM
Interesting articles about history of badges - some pretty cool ones!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6383941/How-football-badges-changed-ages.html

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/14-amazing-football-club-badges-we-wish-still-existed-and-10-are-truly-awful

echappist
11-17-2018, 11:01 AM
thanks for sharing that :)

--------------------------------

This Uefa nations league actually turns out to be more entertaining than expected. FRA v NED; NED v GER; GER v FRA. All sorts of quality matches, not to mention the games amongst ENG, CRO, and ESP.

and what a resurgent De Oranje, capped off by this insouciant chip by Depay. Koeman would have (rightfully) given Depay an earful had the latter missed. Instead, we get this.

https://media.giphy.com/media/LwH4ZtxufLE8PMJEzQ/giphy.gif

echappist
11-19-2018, 05:39 PM
and the Nation's League is the gift that keeps on giving

without looking, who's the best French-speaking country, the best German-speaking country, and the best Italian-speaking country left in the tournament?

Switzerland, of course, by upsetting Belgium. That said, a NED-BEL game would have been a real treat.

wc1934
11-22-2018, 09:10 AM
ZLATAN AGAIN!
"Zlatan Ibrahimovic has reportedly agreed a six month contract with Milan worth €2.2m.

The Swedish striker still has another year on his contract with LA Galaxy, but has been heavily linked with a return to the Rossoneri in January.

Technical director Leonardo met with Ibra’s agent, Mino Raiola, on Monday to try and discuss a deal.

Now SportMediaset is reporting that Ibrahimovic has agreed in principle to a six month deal worth €2.2m.

It’s not clear if there will be an option to extend that by a further season, and the Diavolo will still need to negotiate with the Galaxy".

See the latest Serie A predictions and betting tips with Eurotips.co.uk

wc1934
11-29-2018, 07:12 PM
Gregg Berhalter?????

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/usmnt-to-hire-gregg-berhalter-as-head-coach-ending-months-long-search-for-bruce-arena-replacement/

Climb01742
12-02-2018, 02:25 PM
Can it be true? Has Arsenal found some grit? Spurs were no pushover.

wc1934
12-02-2018, 02:32 PM
Can it be true? Has Arsenal found some grit? Spurs were no pushover.
New coach worked his magic - the substitutions paid off - nice move!

Mzilliox
12-02-2018, 02:35 PM
super fun game from Arsenal. Very odd the situation with Ozil, hopefully Ramsey signs and Ozil goes!

Climb01742
12-02-2018, 03:02 PM
The difference in spirit from last year to this is pretty incredible. New manager = new life. MC won’t be easy to catch but 2nd or 3rd? Fingers crossed.

echappist
12-03-2018, 08:00 PM
Gregg Berhalter?????

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/usmnt-to-hire-gregg-berhalter-as-head-coach-ending-months-long-search-for-bruce-arena-replacement/

not sure what to make of it...

that offense looked anemic against England...

---------------------------------------------------------

out of the country and currently somewhere with a timezone totally out of sync from the UK, so i don't currently have access to NBCSN. Just watched the MOTD replays, and what a cracking game that was
The difference in spirit from last year to this is pretty incredible. New manager = new life. MC won’t be easy to catch but 2nd or 3rd? Fingers crossed.

nah, man, you won't be catch LFC either :p

wc1934
12-04-2018, 06:48 PM
Chelsea to play NE Revolution in the spring.

https://www.revolutionsoccer.net/post/2018/11/30/chelsea-football-club-and-new-england-revolution-partner-match-combat-antisemitism

wc1934
12-05-2018, 11:41 AM
Bribes for Qatar votes - must be fake news - haha

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/nov/14/fifa-bribery-corruption-trial-qatar-2022-world-cup

Mzilliox
12-05-2018, 11:51 AM
Gunners vs manure today! COYG:banana:

wc1934
12-05-2018, 02:28 PM
Gunners vs manure today! COYG:banana:

off to a good start

echappist
12-05-2018, 04:39 PM
Bribes for Qatar votes - must be fake news - haha

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/nov/14/fifa-bribery-corruption-trial-qatar-2022-world-cup

btwn the slave labors of the Qataris and the malfeasance of the Emiratis, man, some fine sport washing going on...
------------------------------------------

looking forward to watching the highlight show

wc1934
12-08-2018, 09:44 AM
Chelsea needs fixing - Liverpool now at the top of the table.

http://www.beinsports.com/en/premier-league/news/chelsea-have-problems-that-need-solving-sar-1/1052586

FYI - (On Tuesday, Liverpool vs Napoli in Champions League).

echappist
12-08-2018, 12:13 PM
Chelsea needs fixing - Liverpool now at the top of the table.

http://www.beinsports.com/en/premier-league/news/chelsea-have-problems-that-need-solving-sar-1/1052586

FYI - (On Tuesday, Liverpool vs Napoli in Champions League).

no offense, they need to drop Jorginho; he and Luiz are as defensively sound as the Maginot. the actual French mid-fielder on the team, however, plays proper defense.

i'll be watching LFC v Napoli on Tuesday. Really was hoping that PSG would get dumped out, but alas, it's either LFC or Napoli...

As i'm sure you know, the former is essentially Fenway FC ;)

edit: Red Star could still dump PSG out, and i wouldn't rule it out, either

Climb01742
12-08-2018, 01:53 PM
The EPL is getting interesting. LFC could be a handful if Mo Salah is back on form. Could Arsenal please give my nerves a rest next game? Very nice goal but couldn't it please come earlier?? How does Huddersfield Town take you to almost full time??

echappist
12-08-2018, 01:57 PM
The EPL is getting interesting. LFC could be a handful if Mo Salah is back on form. Could Arsenal please give my nerves a rest next game? Very nice goal but couldn't it please come earlier?? How does Huddersfield Town take you to almost full time??

i know it's a rhetorical question, but the answer is: the difference btwn the 7th and 20th team of the EPL is quite small, much smaller than it is in, say, Serie A or Bundesliga. Not sure about the 5th or the 6th place team though :p

Climb01742
12-08-2018, 02:24 PM
...the difference btwn the 7th and 20th team of the EPL is quite small, much smaller than it is in, say, Serie A or Bundesliga...

Any thoughts on why? Is there more $ in the EPL? I confess I don't follow the other leagues very much except for teams that make the CL.;)

wc1934
12-10-2018, 07:47 PM
Any thoughts on why? Is there more $ in the EPL? I confess I don't follow the other leagues very much except for teams that make the CL.;)

I read somewhere that the Premiere League is the world's richest soccer league with revenues at around 6 billion (MLB and NFL throwball lead the way).

But still no VAR.

wc1934
12-10-2018, 07:52 PM
FYI - Get ready for tomorrows Champions league matches. Forza Partenopei

echappist
12-10-2018, 10:00 PM
FYI - Get ready for tomorrows Champions league matches. Forza Partenopei

sorry man, i'll have to go with the opposite.

Salah lah lah lah lah
Running down the wing
Egyptian King :p

hoping that Spurs could make it out though

wc1934
12-11-2018, 09:05 AM

Salah lah lah lah lah
Running down the wing

ok - compromise - settle for a draw. hahah. I know, you are to slick to fall for that.

echappist
12-11-2018, 09:11 AM
ok - compromise - settle for a draw. hahah. I know, you are to slick to fall for that.

;)

win by LFC and Red Star would be grand; dumps PSG right out

i have only followed soccer this closely in the last three years, but group tallies of 9, 9, 8, and 7 would surely be the most competitive group

that said, from a sporting perspective, a shame that the likes of Schalke would get through...

andeww
12-11-2018, 12:19 PM
Anyone watch the river boca final? Pretty, pretty crazy game.

goonster
12-11-2018, 01:29 PM
Ancelotti and several players have gone out of their way to say that the Anfield atmosphere is nothing special and will not intimidate them.

OK, but they have to back that up now. Liverpool are 13-5-0 in their last 18 Champions League home games.

I keep thinking they will break out the high press to surprise some teams. That has to be a weapon they are keeping in reserve . . .

wc1934
12-11-2018, 02:11 PM

Salah lah lah lah lah
Running down the wing

Salah is good - but defense wins championships - Virgil is my pick

wc1934
12-11-2018, 02:17 PM
Salah is good - but defense wins championships - Virgil is my pick

I have now changed my opinion - he just crushed mertens -very nasty play - didnt even come close to getting the ball

echappist
12-11-2018, 02:59 PM
At least Mertens is getting a (deserved) start

echappist
12-11-2018, 04:05 PM
condolences, @wc1934. that was a tough match

LFC was quite profligate in front of goal though. One of those nights

Otoh, Spurs aren't so Spursy after all. Doubt anyone would want to play them

Climb01742
12-11-2018, 04:39 PM
PSG can look like world beaters. They just can’t do it consistently. But when they’re on, mercy.

wc1934
12-11-2018, 06:15 PM
condolences, @wc1934. that was a tough match

LFC was quite profligate in front of goal though. One of those nights

Otoh, Spurs aren't so Spursy after all. Doubt anyone would want to play them

Napoli rues that first game draw with Red Star.
Today Napoli was totally outmatched. Milik had a last minute chance but Allison came up big.

goonster
12-12-2018, 09:26 AM
Napoli rues that first game draw with Red Star.

I'm really sorry that Liverpool advanced at the cost of Napoli, and not PSG, and they need to convert some of those chances, sweet cheeses. Salah had three great chances, and converted the least likely one. Let's not even talk about Mane . . .

Red Star, despite never coming to close to advancing, definitely had an impact, beating Liverpool at home, etc.

wc1934
12-12-2018, 12:53 PM
I'm really sorry that Liverpool advanced at the cost of Napoli, and not PSG, and they need to convert some of those chances, sweet cheeses. Salah had three great chances, and converted the least likely one. Let's not even talk about Mane . . .

Red Star, despite never coming to close to advancing, definitely had an impact, beating Liverpool at home, etc.

I should say so - 1-0 "looks" respectable.
But, Mane could have/should have had a hat trick- different scoreline.

echappist
12-12-2018, 03:49 PM
I should say so - 1-0 "looks" respectable.
But, Mane could have/should have had a hat trick- different scoreline.

and Salah should have had a brace...

Also, something is wrong re: the scheduling of matches. The other four groups have much more interesting matches than the four groups of today. Same thing for the last match day. There are always about 2-3 interesting matches/ match day for the other match day; not much going on here

wc1934
12-12-2018, 04:52 PM
Champions League
Round of 16. The draw will be held on Monday, December 17.

Pot 1

Borussia Dortmund

Barcelona

Paris Saint-Germain

Porto

Bayern Munich

Manchester City

Real Madrid

Juventus

Pot 2

Atletico Madrid

Tottenham Hotspur

Liverpool

Schalke 04

Ajax

Roma

Lyon

Manchester United

bdb
12-12-2018, 05:25 PM
As a Liverpool Fan, I'm thrilled to be into the last 16 and top of the league in Mid December!

Roll on Sunday when Mourinho loads 2 buses in front of the Manchester United goal

echappist
12-12-2018, 05:37 PM
As a Liverpool Fan, I'm thrilled to be into the last 16 and top of the league in Mid December!

Roll on Sunday when Mourinho loads 2 buses in front of the Manchester United goal

and it still could be breached, especially when there's no one there to drive the bus, as he throws players under the bus ;)

echappist
12-13-2018, 10:56 AM
yikes, in the span of a few short weeks, Liverpool is down to just Lovren and Van Dijk for their centerback pairing. That's gotta be a cause for concern. Perhaps they could pick up someone in January?

echappist
12-16-2018, 12:11 PM
I believe a new single by the title of Chips Don't Lie just debuted in Liverpool, set to the tunes of Hips Don't Lie.

I never really knew that he could play like this,
He makes me want to say in Spanish
nuevo trabajo para Mourinho,
en la mañana hasta luego

Two wicked deflections, but well deserved

goonster
12-16-2018, 05:02 PM
I've been a Liverpool fan for twenty years, and this feels like a sea change.

Even post-Ferguson, United still spent money on great players, won Trophies, and proved difficult for Liverpool to beat. Surely, we thought, they'd find a way to buy success and be back in contention.

But today there was a gulf of class between the two, and I don't see an easy way back for United, because they've already tried all the obvious things.

Not finding a way to use Paul Pogba is just malpractice, really.

This must be what it was like for United fans to watch Spice-Boys era (mid 90's) Liverpool, but it would be more fun to gloat if United weren't so weird and depressing . . .

echappist
12-17-2018, 06:27 AM
I've been a Liverpool fan for twenty years, and this feels like a sea change.

Even post-Ferguson, United still spent money on great players, won Trophies, and proved difficult for Liverpool to beat. Surely, we thought, they'd find a way to buy success and be back in contention.

But today there was a gulf of class between the two, and I don't see an easy way back for United, because they've already tried all the obvious things.

Not finding a way to use Paul Pogba is just malpractice, really.

This must be what it was like for United fans to watch Spice-Boys era (mid 90's) Liverpool, but it would be more fun to gloat if United weren't so weird and depressing . . .
except the most obvious of them all; get the Special One on a bus and drive him off. that squad is more than talented and deep enough to challenge for at least the top four. could you imagine how much more cohesive they could be if Poch or Sarri were the manager?

And speaking of Poch, they'll have to play against BVB 09 for the next round. Coming to futbol relatively late in life, I really don't have a favorite team by geography or family tradition, but BVB 09 is perhaps the closest, and it's not solely b/c of Pennsylvania's finest export. I also really like what Klopp and Poch have done. While it'd have been nice to see Spurs advance (and perhaps knock out Juve somewhere along the way), I'm going BVB 09 for that tie.

May your team fare well against Bayern, whom I quite dislike.

Climb01742
12-18-2018, 07:09 AM
And he’s gone.;)

wc1934
12-18-2018, 09:00 AM
And he’s gone.;)
Finally! They had to do something - major spending and 19 points out. I think he lost control of the club and the players were not playing for him - their style of play was dreadful. But I was surprised about the timing.

Climb01742
12-18-2018, 09:43 AM
Agree, timing is a question. Mid-season firings always feel panicky, but maybe things have gotten so toxic between players and Jose, any move helps. Their league hopes seem futile (even getting to top four, says the Gunners fan) but maybe the club hopes for some kind of a CL shake-up miracle?

echappist
12-18-2018, 09:49 AM
Finally! They had to do something - major spending and 19 points out. I think he lost control of the club and the players were not playing for him - their style of play was dreadful. But I was surprised about the timing.

he does have prior record of getting fired mid-season; perhaps they could convey Hiddink to take charge?

Agree, timing is a question. Mid-season firings always feel panicky, but maybe things have gotten so toxic between players and Jose, any move helps. Their league hopes seem futile (even getting to top four, says the Gunners fan) but maybe the club hopes for some kind of a CL shake-up miracle?

having players give 100% would be a start. Has anyone seen Sanchez lately? Dude gets almost 500k quid per appearance, but has been downright dreadful. Rashford should have seen greater involvement since his first season in 2015-2016, yet he's languished. So much potential, so little result. They need an Eddie Howe or Espririto Santo

goonster
12-18-2018, 09:52 AM
That squad is full of top-drawer players, all brought in at great expense to save the club. Almost all of these gave me pangs of jealousy:

Mata
Herrera
Depay
Matic
Pogba
Martial
Sanchez
Lukaku
Mkhitaryan
di Maria
Bailly

All of them (possibly excepting Mata) are diminished since joining United.

Most of these were not brought in by Mourinho, so there's a serious problem at the club, and it's not really an issue of spending or squad quality.

wc1934
12-18-2018, 10:09 AM
That squad is full of top-drawer players, all brought in at great expense to save the club. Almost all of these gave me pangs of jealousy:

Mata
Herrera
Depay
Matic
Pogba
Martial
Sanchez
Lukaku
Mkhitaryan
di Maria
Bailly

All of them (possibly excepting Mata) are diminished since joining United.

Most of these were not brought in by Mourinho, so there's a serious problem at the club, and it's not really an issue of spending or squad quality.

Never should have let Zlatan leave - hahah

wc1934
12-18-2018, 10:10 AM
he does have prior record of getting fired mid-season; perhaps they could convey Hiddink to take charge?

having players give 100% would be a start. Has anyone seen Sanchez lately? Dude gets almost 500k quid per appearance, but has been downright dreadful. Rashford should have seen greater involvement since his first season in 2015-2016, yet he's languished. So much potential, so little result. They need an Eddie Howe or Espririto Santo

That does say something - 4 years seems to be his max.

echappist
12-18-2018, 11:27 AM
apparently the Special One stayed at a hotel during his tenure, for all ~900 days, racking up a bill of almost 600k quids (aka one successful Alexi outing) during the process

wc1934
12-18-2018, 07:30 PM
Man U made an announcement and then later deleted it.

"Manchester United appeared to confirm Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as interim manager at Old Trafford on Tuesday.

The Old Trafford club posted a video on their website of the Norwegian scoring the winning goal in the 1999 Champions League final and referred to him as "our interim manager". It was later deleted".

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46604958

martl
12-19-2018, 10:04 AM

The whole Mourinho at MU era leaves me baffled. Ok, i understand in the end he was pissed because he wasn't allowed to spend money, but if your solution for "we bought 400Mio worth of wolrd class in the last 4 years and it didnt work" is: "spend more money", well then you maybe aren't such a good Coach after all.

But the biggest mystery of all is why so many MU supporters still defend him...
United have a history of attacking, full-speed Football, and this is what the supporters expect, even more than success. Jose, his teams have veen very successful, but exciting? very rarely. Now at MU, every single game was simply bad football, and very few were successful.

echappist
12-22-2018, 11:15 AM
i'd love to dredge up an homage to Bjørge Lillelien, but that really doesn't do service to what Palace did.

Sure, sure, Sheikh Mansour's boys took a helluva beating, but take nothing away from the stout defending, mixed in with individual brilliance, as exemplified by none other than Townsend, who is more often on the receiving end of jokes jabbing at his wildly overhit shots. Instead, he belted out what must be a goal of the year contender, on par with Pavard's effort in the World Cup.

Also in other news, this sort of dross (https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/dec/22/london-streets-too-dirty-claim-super-rich-spurs)

Apparently the Spurs are too poor to clean up after themselves, but just rich enough to pay for a new stadium. I know it's extremely cynical of me to say this, but it's perhaps the only way soccer is palatable to me, knowing that my tax dollars aren't going into this whole nonsense (cf. billions in loans taken out by states and municipalities to beg rich U.S. owners to stay)

Climb01742
12-22-2018, 11:41 AM
Also in other news, this sort of dross (https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/dec/22/london-streets-too-dirty-claim-super-rich-spurs)

Apparently the Spurs are too poor to clean up after themselves, but just rich enough to pay for a new stadium. I know it's extremely cynical of me to say this, but it's perhaps the only way soccer is palatable to me, knowing that my tax dollars aren't going into this whole nonsense (cf. billions in loans taken out by states and municipalities to beg rich U.S. owners to stay)

As Tom Morello's guitar says, 'Arm the homeless.' Why do the rich, more often than not, act like such complete wankers?

echappist
12-26-2018, 10:45 AM
As Tom Morello's guitar says, 'Arm the homeless.' Why do the rich, more often than not, act like such complete wankers?

it's in context of this that I get a better sense of why people thought highly of Leciester's late owner. Sure, it's a pittance from his perspective, but dude apparently handed out gifts on the down low, without ever making a noise. He also paid for the proper burial of Richard III, etc. Hard to think that the ilks of Kroenke, Levy, Abramovich, or the owners of West Ham would do anything comparable...

and speaking of Leicester, they are bringing a helluva beating onto Pep's invincible City squad. This is quite glorious. I really wish I didn't have to work today.

echappist
12-26-2018, 07:42 PM
Also, how is this still a thing? Seems like Serie A couldnt be bothered with reigning in things. Perhaps not surprising, given how rampant some of the ultras are...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/dec/26/carlo-ancelotti-slams-racist-chanting-napoli-kalidou-koulibaly

kevinvc
12-27-2018, 11:31 AM

This sort of thing is disgusting but all too typical throughout sports. Many years ago I gave up my favorite baseball team, the Cincinnati Reds, because their owner, Marge Schott, was a nazi sympathizing racist. Years later, I ended my pointy-ball fandom for the Dallas Cowboys because of their owner. Now I've learned that I have to divorce my enjoyment of a team from the actions of their owner (and often one or two players). So as abhorrent as this story is, I'll continue to cheer for the Spurs. Where it gets tricky is deciding whether to ever buy merchandise.

echappist
12-27-2018, 11:39 AM
at least the Spurs have a likeable squad with a likeable manager

if they weren't playing BVB, i'd be rooting for them in the Champion's League as well. I have no illusions that LFC's American owners would be anywhere better, just that they haven't done publicly preposterous things like what Levy is demanding.

also sucks that you guys will lose Son for at least a few weeks. At least it's only one confederation cup you need to worry about, as opposed to losing players to African Cup of Nations as well. Though to be fair, you guys may have a great shot at catching up to LFC had that happened. No comparison btwn losing Aurier + Wanyama (where has the latter been this season?) vs losing Salah, Mane, Keita, and Matip (though injured)

echappist
12-29-2018, 02:32 PM
condolence to the fans of the two North London clubs. Yikes!

It's a bit ironic that the Arsenal squad has so many former BVB players, all of whom brought to BVB by Klopp, no less. I don't rate the two former BVB players who played for Arsenal today. PEA is just so wasteful; that he was the top scorer in the Bundesliga is a testament to the service he's afforded by his teammates. Most BVB fans know that he has a tendency both for missing sitters and for finishing the incredible and acrobatic. So talented yet so frustrating to watch... Sokratis, OTOH, is just not a very good defender. Lots of histrionics and silly stuff.

Next Thursday's match is gonna be great

Also, NBC needs to work on their ads. This from today. Spot the errors ;)

https://bribnw.by.files.1drv.com/y4msqPw1yrmmVT0QfgGp6UZPYTgYNnstXpf6y5mDotFB0_aB9p u5E07bmwYwehYo50F-rER4lSurp9OWaBTbJUYsc7waaPmkwdCn6UOEyAUu3sHt5Gac1E zxlk4YFuw22_9zhOkPVj2tf3IWfKapV7X_HmmhEFHumgpwtcU4 58Vz9IzQDIVVFm4BytBE2dwHw19n9nBGXnmkq5e0afLWANlhg? width=660&height=371&cropmode=none

https://brjmwg.by.files.1drv.com/y4mPtxlGBsLJd0aACeP_2Izxw3Fa1JvXvsVbY47CAEb9BYOZE4 Ai-u6nITxEIH8nEvtpszmNwJcKXNW6A0ng9EGlQTVAXBGH-ZckR3ow4PwPhpywKeHxpizfHC90PgPAbu7yGLKK-5-pE0cKnML6cxWMYT9PwHF_6EX5v9J9nRLZK7MwBXN9ceu4olOux BRVeW9wmIM05450j5Lr5PDbIsxrQ?width=660&height=371&cropmode=none

Climb01742
12-29-2018, 03:04 PM
To every Gunners fan, the gap is now painfully, horrifically clear. First, LFC took out our hearts and stomped on them. Then came back for our souls. Even we knew the 0-1 was there just to toy with us. Many beers, oh, so many beers.

wc1934
12-29-2018, 06:24 PM
To every Gunners fan, the gap is now painfully, horrifically clear. First, LFC took out our hearts and stomped on them. Then came back for our souls. Even we knew the 0-1 was there just to toy with us. Many beers, oh, so many beers.

yup - two goals in 90 seconds is tough. That plus Liverpool is great at home and the Gunners do not play well on the road.

echappist
01-02-2019, 08:26 AM
Where are the Chelsea fans on this board? Apparently splashed out €60+ to purchase the playing rights of one Christian Pulisic.

Good move for BVB, as the fee enables the team to strenghten weak spots (fullback and center forward), but this probably won’t go well for Pulisic. Hell, one could easily make a starting 11 of players Chelsea rejected...

Im not sure if i’d actually want to root for him that much, due to general scumbaggery associated with the owner and the team’s fans. Wish him well, but...

Personally would have loved to see him play for LFC or Spurs.

Come to think of it, i believe one of those Chelsea rejects signed for ~£35 M last year.

wc1934
01-02-2019, 07:47 PM
Where are the Chelsea fans on this board? Apparently splashed out €60+ to purchase the playing rights of one Christian Pulisic.

Good move for BVB, as the fee enables the team to strenghten weak spots (fullback and center forward), but this probably won’t go well for Pulisic. Hell, one could easily make a starting 11 of players Chelsea rejected...

Im not sure if i’d actually want to root for him that much, due to general scumbaggery associated with the owner and the team’s fans. Wish him well, but...

Personally would have loved to see him play for LFC or Spurs.

Come to think of it, i believe one of those Chelsea rejects signed for ~£35 M last year.

73 million - whoa!!
He supposedly turned down Liverpool. He is young - 20 years old and already played in 23 Champions League matches. Hope he can adjust to Sarri's style of play. According to a soundbite after todays draw, Sarri stated that he had no input in the transfer and just became aware of it.

echappist
01-02-2019, 09:14 PM
if that's true, yikes

Chelsea is where talent goes to die; perfected it long before Man U. got good at it. For the sake of the USMNT, I hope it doesn't end up like this...

wc1934
01-03-2019, 12:01 PM
if that's true, yikes

Chelsea is where talent goes to die; perfected it long before Man U. got good at it. For the sake of the USMNT, I hope it doesn't end up like this...

But they do attract and have signed some talented wingers (Robben, Oscar, Hazzard, Willan etc.). But at this price they must get a return on their euro.

echappist
01-03-2019, 03:59 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of players whose development they wasted (De Bruyne, Salah, and Lukaku). But with a possible transfer ban, perhaps they'll have to give their new-signings and academy players more chances

---------------------------------------

In other news, a 6-pointer on the top of the Premier League table. Liverpool got carved open a few times. Well deserved for Guardiola's team, though they did get lucky with the first goal line clearance.

wc1934
01-03-2019, 07:10 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of players whose development they wasted (De Bruyne, Salah, and Lukaku). But with a possible transfer ban, perhaps they'll have to give their new-signings and academy players more chances

---------------------------------------

In other news, a 6-pointer on the top of the Premier League table. Liverpool got carved open a few times. Well deserved for Guardiola's team, though they did get lucky with the first goal line clearance.

They have had their share of players who could now be considered superstars (on their existing teams).
Cheer for them when they are on your team - despise them when they leave.
Is there another sport other than futbol where this occurs so regularly?

goonster
01-04-2019, 08:52 AM
A lot of the "young talent wasted" issues (de Bruyne, Salah, Robben, et al) were more of a Mourinho problem than a systemic club problem.

Hazard, who Pulisic is trying to emulate, started right away, and arguably got better.

Both Pulisic and Chelsea are betting that he will break into the squad and contribute at a very high level, consistently, very soon. This is not a "we hope this talented kid pans out" kind of move.

wc1934
01-07-2019, 11:18 AM
old news - but since it is a slow news week for futbol, here you go:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-soccer-usa-rooney/english-footballer-rooney-arrested-in-dec-in-u-s-for-public-intoxication-idUSKCN1P00L5

echappist
01-07-2019, 12:06 PM
old news - but since it is a slow news week for futbol, here you go:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-soccer-usa-rooney/english-footballer-rooney-arrested-in-dec-in-u-s-for-public-intoxication-idUSKCN1P00L5

nothing to see here, just a chav who's had a few too many drinks :p

can't wait for Bundesliga to resume. BVB is getting no respect, as 538 predicts Bayern to win the league. I get it: BVB has to play Leipzig, Bayern, and Gladbach away, but that's still quite little regard they have for BVB...

echappist
01-07-2019, 04:06 PM
and who say's it's slow news day; leader of premier league out of FA Cup

of course, they had a difficult draw, but I applaud Klopp for saying eff it to the FA Cup and focusing on the league. Tie games in the Cup, after all, requires replays...

martl
01-08-2019, 02:34 AM
A lot of the "young talent wasted" issues (de Bruyne, Salah, Robben, et al) were more of a Mourinho problem than a systemic club problem.

Hazard, who Pulisic is trying to emulate, started right away, and arguably got better.

Both Pulisic and Chelsea are betting that he will break into the squad and contribute at a very high level, consistently, very soon. This is not a "we hope this talented kid pans out" kind of move.

Half his pricetag is based on marketing calculations toward the US soccer market...

goonster
01-08-2019, 02:55 AM
Half his pricetag is based on marketing calculations toward the US soccer market...

You're just bitter he didn't go to Bayern. Confess . . .

martl
01-08-2019, 04:26 AM
You're just bitter he didn't go to Bayern. Confess . . .

not the way he played the last half year, there's about 3-4 players at BVB i'd take before him. The number of BVB youngsters who were super-promising or even spectacular in one or two seasons and faded even more spectacularily is staggering. Weigl anyone? Götze? Bender? Leitner? Durm? Passlack? Ginter?

goonster
01-08-2019, 07:03 AM
Götze has 63 caps for Germany, scored the winning goal in a World Cup final, didn't start to fade until he went to Bayern, and has struggled with serious health issues, so let's leave him out of any list of underachievers.

My appreciation of Pulisic is colored ever so slightly by my seeing him almost single-handedly defeat Liverpool in the pre-season friendly in Charlotte. I genuinely believe that he's a player with all the right Voraussetzungen to perform at a very high level.

martl
01-08-2019, 08:36 AM
My appreciation of Pulisic is colored ever so slightly by my seeing him almost single-handedly defeat Liverpool in the pre-season friendly in Charlotte.

Humm, so he shone in a friendly, in marketing county, which was played without WC participants and 9 subs each at half time, him being the only one on the pitch who gave a horses *** about a win, and maybe even assisted by some friendly advice from a Nike representative to friend, foe and ref to let the local hero look good if the opportunity arose? :D

Nah he's a promising prospect, but currently rightfully regarded to be player #15 or #16 in the BVB squad, recently been passed by 3-4 players his age or younger. Decent player with potential, but far away from being a world beater.

echappist
01-16-2019, 12:48 PM
Humm, so he shone in a friendly, in marketing county, which was played without WC participants and 9 subs each at half time, him being the only one on the pitch who gave a horses *** about a win, and maybe even assisted by some friendly advice from a Nike representative to friend, foe and ref to let the local hero look good if the opportunity arose? :D

Nah he's a promising prospect, but currently rightfully regarded to be player #15 or #16 in the BVB squad, recently been passed by 3-4 players his age or younger. Decent player with potential, but far away from being a world beater.

Bruun Larsen is no better than Pulisic. Sancho is an once-a-generation talent. So he's been passed by 1 other player on the squad. No idea how you are getting "3-4 players his age"

-----------------------------------------------

also, kinda amusing that people are clutching pearls at this

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jan/16/marcelo-bielsa-leeds-spied-every-opponent

granted, Bielsa does look like a villain in that photo, but if practices are open to public, i don't see anything wrong with sending a scout to attend.

if some are non-public, then of course he should be penalized

goonster
01-16-2019, 02:05 PM
It's really Sancho, and the jury is still out on the scope of his talent.

But the fact remains that he is ahead of Pulisic in the pecking order at the moment. That is a valid point . . .

A great player should be able to adapt to a new club, new league, new manager, new system. Let's hope he starts at Chelsea with a league title in his pocket!

echappist
01-16-2019, 02:54 PM
It's really Sancho, and the jury is still out on the scope of his talent.

But the fact remains that he is ahead of Pulisic in the pecking order at the moment. That is a valid point . . .

A great player should be able to adapt to a new club, new league, new manager, new system. Let's hope he starts at Chelsea with a league title in his pocket!

what if he does it at the expense of your Scousers? after all, his best play of all time would be him pick-pocketing Bayern's Javi Martinez and then slotting the ball home

you know, in a fashion similar to

Steve Gerrard Gerrad,
Slipped on his f****** a***,
Gave the ball to Demba ba...

okay, i'll stop

martl
01-16-2019, 03:10 PM
Bruun Larsen is no better than Pulisic. Sancho is an once-a-generation talent. So he's been passed by 1 other player on the squad. No idea how you are getting "3-4 players his age"

Zagadou, Hakimi, Bruun-Larsen and Sancho all are same age as Pulisic and secured their spots in the starting 11, while Pulisic lost his. (2 of those are defenders).
Pulisic is behind Sancho, BL, Reus, Götze and Guerreiro in the competition for a starting spot, and he neglected to do anything against it very much; in fact, he dropeed from starter to 60min-sub to 89min sub.

I fully understand that my own optinion is worthless in this thread, since it differs from yours. That is why i only quoted well-reputed experts, such as Mr. Favre. The "currently 14-15th in the squad" are his words.

goonster
01-16-2019, 03:18 PM
what if he does it at the expense of your Scousers?
Obviously, that can never happen. ;)

I meant a Bundesliga title.

echappist
01-16-2019, 05:01 PM
Zagadou, Hakimi, Bruun-Larsen and Sancho all are same age as Pulisic and secured their spots in the starting 11, while Pulisic lost his. (2 of those are defenders).
Pulisic is behind Sancho, BL, Reus, Götze and Guerreiro in the competition for a starting spot, and he neglected to do anything against it very much; in fact, he dropeed from starter to 60min-sub to 89min sub.

I fully understand that my own optinion is worthless in this thread, since it differs from yours. That is why i only quoted well-reputed experts, such as Mr. Favre. The "currently 14-15th in the squad" are his words.

Zagadou is a central defender; Hakimi is a fullback. So them starting has nothing to do with Pulisic

Bruun-Larsen has not taken the spot from Pulisic, more like Guererro is doing better than both and is getting the nod

your opinion isn't worthless, but you have to type what you meant to say. Getting passed over means getting passed over by people with whom one is in direct competition. This applies to neither Hakimi nor DAZ.

Obviously, that can never happen. ;)

I meant a Bundesliga title.

:)

i really wish he'd sign for LFC, as it was Klopp who first signed him

really hoping Klopp et al. can pull one over Pepe. Amazing that Kompany wasn't sent off for that rash challenge on Salah, but the Wolves player who had a similar legs-off-the-ground challenge got a direct red...

martl
01-17-2019, 01:20 AM
Zagadou is a central defender; Hakimi is a fullback. So them starting has nothing to do with Pulisic

Bruun-Larsen has not taken the spot from Pulisic, more like Guererro is doing better than both and is getting the nod

your opinion isn't worthless, but you have to type what you meant to say. Getting passed over means getting passed over by people with whom one is in direct competition. This applies to neither Hakimi nor DAZ.

fact is, those four are the same age as CP and are starting. CP currently often is the last sub to come in, if at all.
moreover, almost every time CP played, bvb was unable to produce their trademark fast attacking style. Guerrero/Sancho are faster, technkcally more refined and with a better eye for situations.

i really wish he'd sign for LFC, as it was Klopp who first signed him

it is a common misconception that Klopp signed players at BVB - Bundesliga clubs dont have tge english style team manager/ coach role. there are Coaches, and Managers. Coaches train players and the team, managers hire them. a coach may well express a wish (as Pep did with Thiago) but the decision is the managers (as when Hoeness sold Kroos much to Peps dismay). with 16 year old prospects, i dont think the first team coach even gets told, it simply isnt his job.

Dortmunds manager is Zorc, him and the scouts hired Pulisic.

goonster
01-17-2019, 07:47 AM
Dortmunds manager is Zorc, him and the scouts hired Pulisic.
Sven Mislintat, in the news again of late, is generally credited with bringing Pulisic to Dortmund.

martl
01-17-2019, 10:00 AM
Sven Mislintat, in the news again of late, is generally credited with bringing Pulisic to Dortmund.

He played a big part in building the BVB squad. Same as Reschke did in Leverkusen or Munich.
To give an example about how little influence even top team managers (coaches) in the BuLi have, take FCBs Nico Kovac, who apparently didn't even know about Bayern approaching Hernandez and Hudson-Odoi. A big part of Tuchel leaving BVB was that he was frustrated he didn't get the players he wanted.

There have been Coach/Team Managers UK style in the BuLi (Magath at Schalke and Wolfsburg), and it hasn't been exactly a success. Some coaches will be involved in the planning of the squad, to what extent varies between clubs. The final decision is not with the coach, usually.

echappist
01-20-2019, 11:46 AM
be honest, @goonster, how much blood pressure meds did you need while watching that roller coaster of a game? cracking match

how Palace isn't in the top half of the table is a bit of a puzzle

in other news, Spurs look knackered. No Kane, no Son, and likely no Dele. Llorente missing sitters. Daniel Levy has a royal problem on his hand, due to his refusal to spend. I wonder what Pooch may consider too far a bridge to cross and just ends his involvement...

Also, Sarri seems to be losing his marbles, taking a page out of the Mourinho playbook... Most seemed to have figured out how to play neutralize Jorginho (who has no assists with 2000 passes played). I'm a bit cynical and think that the Pulisic transfer was made to entice others to purchase the club from a kleptocrat who may be running short of cash...

bdb
01-23-2019, 03:52 PM
Got to go to Anfield over the weekend. First time since 2012 at Anfield

I've seen them at Fulham and QPR and in Basel and Kiev in between the 2.

Anfield has changed a lot, massively developed, had some great seats in the 10th row of the Anfield Road Stand - close enough to the Palace fans who were in great voice. the new Main Stand is enormous, but the stadium still feels very cosy, amazing the difference. the pitch being so close to the seats is great !

An oddity about Anfield is there are no screens, so no replays of anything, word just gets back about the action the other end, and its hard to see the opposite end of the pitch, was that a deflection? wait till someone else confirms.

Also the game just flies by! Anyway still ahead of City. carry on!

echappist
01-25-2019, 04:42 PM

Anfield has changed a lot, massively developed, had some great seats in the 10th row of the Anfield Road Stand - close enough to the Palace fans who were in great voice. the new Main Stand is enormous, but the stadium still feels very cosy, amazing the difference. the pitch being so close to the seats is great !

An oddity about Anfield is there are no screens, so no replays of anything, word just gets back about the action the other end, and its hard to see the opposite end of the pitch, was that a deflection? wait till someone else confirms.

your old Mancunian rivals certainly look strong. Playing against them at Old Trafford is going to be an ask. But then again, I bet Sheikty wouldn't want to play against them at OT either, given ManU's current form

either Chelsea or Tottenham may find themselves outside of the Top 4 due to ManU's resurgence

echappist
01-27-2019, 11:34 AM
be honest, @goonster, how much blood pressure meds did you need while watching that roller coaster of a game? cracking match

how Palace isn't in the top half of the table is a bit of a puzzle

in other news, Spurs look knackered. No Kane, no Son, and likely no Dele. Llorente missing sitters. Daniel Levy has a royal problem on his hand, due to his refusal to spend. I wonder what Pooch may consider too far a bridge to cross and just ends his involvement...

Also, Sarri seems to be losing his marbles, taking a page out of the Mourinho playbook... Most seemed to have figured out how to play neutralize Jorginho (who has no assists with 2000 passes played). I'm a bit cynical and think that the Pulisic transfer was made to entice others to purchase the club from a kleptocrat who may be running short of cash...
and they are about to claim another scalp, albeit with Spurs seriously depleted (no Kane, no Eriksen, no Dele, no Son).

wc1934
01-28-2019, 03:36 PM
Anyone watch USMNT vs Panama? If so, your thoughts?

echappist
01-28-2019, 04:01 PM
thoughts? you are a more die-hard fan than i

couldn't be bothered to watch, when the European contingent isn't there.

after the B squad won the 2017 Gold Cup only for the A squad to blow its chances, im just not sure how meaningful these games are

otoh, Weah is apparently tearing it up in Scotland

BobC
01-28-2019, 05:33 PM
I watched.

I can see what Berhalter is trying to do. I like it.
- Bradley was much better. Restricted role, sprayed the ball around really well. Much better mobility.
- Great to see Lletget back after that nasty injury. He immediately made a big difference.
- Mihailovic was impressive. So was Zimmerman.
- PLEASE PLEASE no more Zardes. EVER. He has boots of cement. Missed an easy header (really 2). He is not international caliber.

USMNT needs a #9.

echappist
01-28-2019, 05:34 PM
well, there's Carrot Top and Weah Jr for the #9 role

BobC
01-28-2019, 06:27 PM
Weah is more lethal out wide.

Haven't seen enough of Sargent yet

echappist
01-29-2019, 03:58 PM

and Rafa does you Scousers a solid!

wc1934
01-29-2019, 05:11 PM
thoughts? you are a more die-hard fan than i

couldn't be bothered to watch, when the European contingent isn't there.

after the B squad won the 2017 Gold Cup only for the A squad to blow its chances, im just not sure how meaningful these games are

otoh, Weah is apparently tearing it up in Scotland

New players, new coach, new system and it was a friendly - But we won.
They started out quite slowly but eventually developed a better rhythm - Panama turned the ball over constantly.
Many new faces that I never heard of (or are playing in MSL) - bet the average age was under 24, so all in all is a lot to build on. I would have like Bradley to closer to the front - a better passing link to the forwards, but Mihailovic (sp) had energy and moments, Lima had a nice game, and Zimmerman a nice header. When the entire squad comes together it will be interesting to see who get playing time.

As an aside, Taylor Twellman kills me - so negative (and he is an ex-Revolution guy) - haha.

echappist
01-29-2019, 06:01 PM
New players, new coach, new system and it was a friendly - But we won.
They started out quite slowly but eventually developed a better rhythm - Panama turned the ball over constantly.
Many new faces that I never heard of (or are playing in MSL) - bet the average age was under 24, so all in all is a lot to build on. I would have like Bradley to closer to the front - a better passing link to the forwards, but Mihailovic (sp) had energy and moments, Lima had a nice game, and Zimmerman a nice header. When the entire squad comes together it will be interesting to see who get playing time.

As an aside, Taylor Twellman kills me - so negative (and he is an ex-Revolution guy) - haha.

i wish we were invited to the Copa America, instead it's Japan and Qatar

for any serious tournament/qualification (Gold Cup doesn't count), i'd like to see

-------------Sargent----------------
Weah--------Pulisic---------??????
-----???????-------McKinnie-----
Adams--Brooks--??????---Yedlin
--------------Steffen----------------

i think there are quality players from that U17 squad a few years ago (Weah was one of them).

ETA: Gio Reyna (yes, son of Claudio) for the right winger position. That's be a pretty decent line-up assuming they find either a CDM or a left back (perennial issue for the MNT)

wc1934
01-29-2019, 06:53 PM
Julian Edelman is a Spurs/Kane fan!!

https://twitter.com/NFLUK/status/1090235475070197760?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1090294384199983107&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.football.london%2Ftotten ham-hotspur-fc%2Fplayers%2Fnfl-star-julian-edelman-makes-15749961

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/players/nfl-star-julian-edelman-makes-15749961

echappist
01-29-2019, 09:07 PM
well, he sure looks like Lionel Messi with all that facial hair

for your consideration

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/31/c6/d5/31c6d5cc060bc590ba723c246a08564d.png

https://images2.minutemediacdn.com/image/upload/c_fill,w_912,h_516,f_auto,q_auto,g_auto/shape/cover/sport/575ed0d1761618410b000001.jpg

bdb
01-30-2019, 12:06 PM
Yes Thank you Rafa!

Big game now tonight- I mean they all are. but..

echappist
01-30-2019, 04:00 PM
Sorry Scousers, it ain't a runaway just yet.

Wonder if the 10-day layoff and training camp in the middle of the desert had an effect on them.

And hats off to Poch for pulling one out of the hat. They've at least got some breathing room in the hunt for a top-4 spot. Watford ain't no joke (Spurs know this from experience, suffering a lost at Vicerage after beating Man U at Old Trafford), and Spurs were able to drag their injured a** across the line.

So we now have a proper title race and a proper race for the other two Champion's League spots (from four contenders). Loads of fun ahead

Only grumble is that they decided to show the Bournemouth Chelsea game, as opposed to the Spurs or LFC game

echappist
01-31-2019, 03:11 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/31/world/asia/bahrain-soccer-thailand-fifa.html?action=click&module=News&pgtype=Homepage

for more info, here's David Squire's summary on the issue (https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2019/jan/24/david-squires-on-saving-hakeem-al-araibi-before-its-too-late). Next time you see that Bahrain Merida team, think of who those backers truly are. Ditto for PSG et al.

echappist
02-02-2019, 07:31 PM
I watched.

I can see what Berhalter is trying to do. I like it.
- Bradley was much better. Restricted role, sprayed the ball around really well. Much better mobility.
- Great to see Lletget back after that nasty injury. He immediately made a big difference.
- Mihailovic was impressive. So was Zimmerman.
- PLEASE PLEASE no more Zardes. EVER. He has boots of cement. Missed an easy header (really 2). He is not international caliber.

USMNT needs a #9.

I'll say, Lletget looks legit

that s***housery tackle from Honduras in 2017 really set him back. Stupid Concacaf refs...

wc1934
02-02-2019, 09:04 PM
I'll say, Lletget looks legit

that s***housery tackle from Honduras in 2017 really set him back. Stupid Concacaf refs...

A goal and an assist.

2 friendlies. 2 wins.

echappist
02-04-2019, 04:03 PM
Yikes; LFC mis-firing. Lucky to have even gotten a point, as there was an uncalled off-side during the build up.

Not sure I actually want to see City catch up to them. Condolences, Scousers

echappist
02-10-2019, 11:19 AM
damn, City looks imperious. Though it ought to be said that Chelsea is out of sorts. This will make for an interesting title race.

Too bad BVB coughed up the lead yesterday. 3 goals conceded in the last 15, which is to say, Spursy. Appropriate, as they'll have to play against Spurs on Tuesday.

wc1934
02-10-2019, 12:00 PM
damn, City looks imperious. Though it ought to be said that Chelsea is out of sorts. This will make for an interesting title race.

Too bad BVB coughed up the lead yesterday. 3 goals conceded in the last 15, which is to say, Spursy. Appropriate, as they'll have to play against Spurs on Tuesday.
I guess so. Giving up 6 is more than an embarrassment. Is Sarri sacked tomorrow?
That's what happens when Gonzalo is on your team - :help:

echappist
02-10-2019, 06:44 PM
well, losing to a top-six squad like this is embarrassing, but i'd say worse was losing to Bournemouth (whose manager actually "interned" under Sarri for a while)

No offense, but Sarris is way too stubborn to see the failure in his ways. No idea what's to happen now

This is one of the reasons I thought it was poor for Pulisic to join Chelsea. Such an unstable environment, with a fickle owner to boot.

Climb01742
02-10-2019, 07:31 PM
Chelsea players should be glad it’s easier to sack a manager than sack half the players. Yes, plenty of blame, but that team quit. Chelsea won’t right itself simply with (yet another) new manager. At least Chelsea is letting MU and the Gunners fight out the fourth CL spot.;)

wc1934
02-11-2019, 08:20 AM
well, losing to a top-six squad like this is embarrassing, but i'd say worse was losing to Bournemouth (whose manager actually "interned" under Sarri for a while)

No offense, but Sarris is way too stubborn to see the failure in his ways. No idea what's to happen now

This is one of the reasons I thought it was poor for Pulisic to join Chelsea. Such an unstable environment, with a fickle owner to boot.

I would have thought that would have been a wake up call with major adjustments. And still, not a peep from Roman.

echappist
02-11-2019, 09:04 AM
Chelsea players should be glad it’s easier to sack a manager than sack half the players. Yes, plenty of blame, but that team quit. Chelsea won’t right itself simply with (yet another) new manager. At least Chelsea is letting MU and the Gunners fight out the fourth CL spot.;)

I think Ole Gunnar's gonna nick it, Fergie Time style

Chelsea is the new Arsenal, and Arsenal remains the old Arsenal...

BobC
02-11-2019, 11:21 AM
Sarri or Silva?

Which one gets the sack first?

echappist
02-11-2019, 12:05 PM
Sarri or Silva?

Which one gets the sack first?

after Chelsea get trounced by Spurs at the Bridge; so that's end of this month

Silva will stay until end of the year

Everton could really use a Eddie Howe, who gets much accomplished out of little.

echappist
02-13-2019, 03:57 PM
well damn... nothing Spursy about that performance. Chapeau

The past few games haven't been kind to BVB: two draws in the league, losing a shootout in the cup, etc., not to mention various key players injured or sick. I hope they recover and focus on the league from here...

wc1934
02-13-2019, 05:11 PM
well damn... nothing Spursy about that performance. Chapeau

The past few games haven't been kind to them: two draws in the league, losing a shootout in the cup, etc., not to mention various key players injured or sick. I hope they recover and focus on the league from here...

Are they now contenders?

echappist
02-13-2019, 05:27 PM
Are they now contenders?

Premier League? not sure. But Poch's men sure does have grit

in a knock-out cup? anybody's guess. Ideally, they stomp Juve out of the Champion's League...

btw, my second sentence was in reference to BVB

Climb01742
02-13-2019, 08:22 PM
I think Ole Gunnar's gonna nick it, Fergie Time style

Chelsea is the new Arsenal, and Arsenal remains the old Arsenal...

Sadly, you’re right. Arsenal is still (sigh) Arsenal. The Invincibles they ain’t.

echappist
02-15-2019, 12:00 PM
some banter before the Chelsea Man U cup tie

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/feb/15/gazprom-abu-dhabi-alternative-guide-champions-league-ties-last-16

echappist
02-17-2019, 09:54 PM
and a feel-good story in soccer

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/17/sports/wisla-krakow-hooligans-kuba.html?action=click&module=Editors%20Picks&pgtype=Homepage

wc1934
02-18-2019, 07:38 PM
Is Sarri gone after today missteps? Down 2-0 and he replaces a right back with another right back (Was he taking a play out of Ventura's playbook - game where Azzurri needed a goal and thus failed to qualify).

And what's up with Pogba? Was very good when he played for Juve - major $ transfer to MU and sucked under Jose and is now playing great again.

echappist
02-20-2019, 04:03 PM
Is Sarri gone after today missteps? Down 2-0 and he replaces a right back with another right back (Was he taking a play out of Ventura's playbook - game where Azzurri needed a goal and thus failed to qualify).

And what's up with Pogba? Was very good when he played for Juve - major $ transfer to MU and sucked under Jose and is now playing great again.

Rumor is that Ole Gunnar is building Man U around Pogba. Wise move, given how much they spent on him. Whether he'll bring the league championships the way he brought home scudetti for Juve is another issue.

In other news, two crazy games this afternoon, after two rather subdued matches yesterday. This about sums it up

https://aqnswg.by.files.1drv.com/y4m_5l5WlmxShy1EGpZmdXSoA5O7B8SM8E1Yp7qdJ11Au32Iys lnLeLn3ocdjG_pdayD4HaLUYAGH13KL_29yC7CBZGNMOcVbgb_ ZpcCkrFr-DXImbHlLsoGWmZIdbhhIjmdzx6UWD-lAeL0Y_TJuBaaLUvBpWGxKm6vQc85gKqWdoZx8WK9xdkLjPBRd CxveSEvRIg8v0Zd937m-1mDuGcJw?width=660&height=371&cropmode=none

wc1934
02-20-2019, 05:14 PM
Rumor is that Ole Gunnar is building Man U around Pogba. Wise move, given how much they spent on him. Whether he'll bring the league championships the way he brought home scudetti for Juve is another issue.

In other news, two crazy games this afternoon, after two rather subdued matches yesterday. This about sums it up

https://aqnswg.by.files.1drv.com/y4m_5l5WlmxShy1EGpZmdXSoA5O7B8SM8E1Yp7qdJ11Au32Iys lnLeLn3ocdjG_pdayD4HaLUYAGH13KL_29yC7CBZGNMOcVbgb_ ZpcCkrFr-DXImbHlLsoGWmZIdbhhIjmdzx6UWD-lAeL0Y_TJuBaaLUvBpWGxKm6vQc85gKqWdoZx8WK9xdkLjPBRd CxveSEvRIg8v0Zd937m-1mDuGcJw?width=660&height=371&cropmode=none

CR7 wasnt about to get his pretty face messed up - there wasnt a lot of space for that shot - but then again he never does play D.
Now I have another manager - Diego Simeone - no class.

What a comeback - didnt think MC could do it.

wc1934
02-21-2019, 07:40 PM
Chelsea won today - advancing into the round of 16.
It would be cruel if they end up playing Napoli.

echappist
02-21-2019, 08:16 PM
What a comeback - didnt think MC could do it.

Well, Gelsenkirchen is a bottom table team, after all. Though Sane sure is quality. He was good but not great when he played at Gelsenkirchen. Now he's a real threat. For all the complaints about Pep, the man knows how to coach and get the best out of his players. Sterling is another example.

Chelsea won today - advancing into the round of 16.
It would be cruel if they end up playing Napoli.

you don't own Chelsea anything ;)

wc1934
02-21-2019, 08:34 PM
Well, Gelsenkirchen is a bottom table team, after all. Though Sane sure is quality. He was good but not great when he played at Gelsenkirchen. Now he's a real threat. For all the complaints about Pep, the man knows how to coach and get the best out of his players. Sterling is another example.

you don't own Chelsea anything ;)

Hahah - yup.. No question as to where my loyalties lie. You know who I am rooting for.

wc1934
02-24-2019, 09:42 PM
You couldn't make this up:

http://www.espn.com/soccer/chelsea/story/3783740/kepa-apologises-to-sarri-i-didnt-mean-to-disobey-the-boss

echappist
02-25-2019, 07:08 AM
You couldn't make this up:

http://www.espn.com/soccer/chelsea/story/3783740/kepa-apologises-to-sarri-i-didnt-mean-to-disobey-the-boss

it's been making the rounds

to be fair, Sarri was gracious in explaining the situation, but there are so many choice words that would rightfully describe Kepa's petulant behavior

BobC
02-25-2019, 08:24 AM
Either Kepa is gone or Sarri is gone.

My money is both are gone.

What a clown show, no wonder Hazard wants out.

wc1934
02-25-2019, 09:00 AM
Either Kepa is gone or Sarri is gone.

My money is both are gone.

What a clown show, no wonder Hazard wants out.

Sarri - "you can't fire me - I quit".

echappist
02-27-2019, 12:04 PM
and some happier (yet somber news)

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/commentisfree/2019/feb/27/hakeem-al-araibi-thank-you-australia-for-bringing-me-home-but-my-fight-is-not-over

remember that the next time someone in Bahrain Merida colors (that includes Nibali) takes off in a flier...

wc1934
02-28-2019, 11:08 AM
and some happier (yet somber news)

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/commentisfree/2019/feb/27/hakeem-al-araibi-thank-you-australia-for-bringing-me-home-but-my-fight-is-not-over

remember that the next time someone in Bahrain Merida colors (that includes Nibali) takes off in a flier...

nice article - thanks for sharing. I don't know much about Bahrain, but I'm not surprised. It's also messed up that Thailand will detain people on behalf of oppressive governments. The Thai govt is pretty scary.

PS - Hopefully the Shark will be switching teams.