PDA

View Full Version : Distracted Ridng, Cyclists And Cell Phones

Burnette
08-11-2018, 05:24 PM
After six years I finally got a new cell phone last night. When cycling I kept my old cell phone in my seat post bag or in my jersey in a sandwich bag. My new phone is much bigger and way more expensive, I believe I'll keep it in the bag. I never use my phone for nothing other than a way to call someone in an emergency.

Today I was coming home and a cyclist who looks familiar to me was in the left lane (I think he may live in my neighborhood) was riding while looking down at his phone, his thumb working over the screen. He was about three feet from the yellow line and angled towards it, he never looked up from the time I saw him, about thirty or forty yards, till I passed him going in the other direction. There was a car oncoming behind him a good ways away.

That road is a country road with no shoulder and the speed is 55mph.

I use a Garmin 500 and do look at it while riding of course and I'm sure I have wandered in the lane a bit but not that far! I hope his ride went well and just like for cars, I hope they develop a safer way for people to use them while being able to keep their heads up. Speaking of which there are heads up visor displays for cycling are here but not ready for primetime IMO.

doomridesout
08-11-2018, 06:29 PM
HUD displays are a bad fix for refusing to pay attention.

joosttx
08-11-2018, 06:36 PM
congratulations on buying a big expensive cell phone. :)

AngryScientist
08-11-2018, 06:38 PM
That road is a country road with no shoulder and the speed is 55mph.

does not sound like a safe place to be on a bike in any conditions.

HenryA
08-11-2018, 06:50 PM
Just leave it at home. Or if you feel you must have it, put it in your bag.

Yesterday, as I drove through our popular local tourist area, a family was walking down the road, some on the shoulder and most in the roadway looking around as they walked and oblivious to traffic coming behind them. Fortunately for them the traffic was me. The father was leading them down the road and he was a good foot out past the white line. Youngest appeared to be about 7 or 8. I was astounded.

But, it got better — when I came back through, I see another family group on bikes near the same spot. A beer truck was pulled mostly off the roadway to make a delivery to a restaurant. The family of about 7-8 people were behind the beer truck in the road and clipped in to ride away. Dad led the way, never looking to check for traffic for about half a block as the rest of the group straggled in behind him. Not a one of them looked for traffic. Again, they were fortunate I was the traffic in their direction of travel. There were cars coming the other way. This is a narrow state highway through a small town or hardly a town. Lots of tourists wandering, locals know to drive carefully and do so mostly. Again I was astounded. How do these people survive?

Burnette
08-11-2018, 08:42 PM
HUD displays are a bad fix for refusing to pay attention.

True, but we have some good features for autos, it would be nice to have better options for cyclists. IMO, in time, we will.

Burnette
08-11-2018, 08:44 PM
congratulations on buying a big expensive cell phone. :)

Thanks, Ha! I will keep it six years too! It will be great for work, not so much on the bike.

Burnette
08-11-2018, 08:47 PM
does not sound like a safe place to be on a bike in any conditions.

North Carolina is a great place to ride depending on time of day. I posted many pics on another cycling forum of my routes, love it here.

Burnette
08-11-2018, 08:57 PM
Just leave it at home. Or if you feel you must have it, put it in your bag.
Yesterday, as I drove through our popular local tourist area, a family was walking down the road, some on the shoulder and most in the roadway looking around as they walked and oblivious to traffic coming behind them. Fortunately for them the traffic was me. The father was leading them down the road and he was a good foot out past the white line. Youngest appeared to be about 7 or 8. I was astounded.

But, it got better — when I came back through, I see another family group on bikes near the same spot. A beer truck was pulled mostly off the roadway to make a delivery to a restaurant. The family of about 7-8 people were behind the beer truck in the road and clipped in to ride away. Dad led the way, never looking to check for traffic for about half a block as the rest of the group straggled in behind him. Not a one of them looked for traffic. Again, they were fortunate I was the traffic in their direction of travel. There were cars coming the other way. This is a narrow state highway through a small town or hardly a town. Lots of tourists wandering, locals know to drive carefully and do so mostly. Again I was astounded. How do these people survive?

Agree, I will put the phone in the saddle bag.

And yes, I think that when riding a bicycle on the road with autos, some people don't appreciate the level of attention required. Closing speed of a vehicle with a possible inattentive driver leaves little to react for the auto driver and the cyclist. It's as if some are too comfortable.

tigoat
08-11-2018, 09:30 PM
I have a Samsung Galaxy S8+. I rode a century today and this phone was in my jersey from the time I left my house to the time I got back in. Of course, I am not a social animal like I used so I do not get emails from friends like most people do but the moral of the story is that I seldom use my big fancy phone when I am out riding.

Burnette
08-11-2018, 09:38 PM
I have a Samsung Galaxy S8+. I rode a century today and this phone was in my jersey from the time I left my house to the time I got back in. Of course, I am not a social animal like I used so I do not get emails from friends like most people do but the moral of the story is that I seldom use my big fancy phone when I am out riding.

I got a Note 8 mostly for work and being that I'm a one phone guy it's the phone I have to take on cycling rides now. I don't do social media either and my wife knows when I'm ridding so I don't get calls unless it's an emergency. I'll stow it in the saddle bag.

smontanaro
08-12-2018, 06:36 AM
I don't have a Garmin or other GPS navigation device, so I use MapMyRide on my phone. Still, I carry it in my back pocket. Not as convenient, I suppose, but also not a distraction. I should bag it for better protection from sweat and rain though.

oldpotatoe
08-12-2018, 06:56 AM
[QUOTE]I never use my phone for nothing other than a way to call someone in an emergency.

Why not just get a cheapo flip phone and carry that?

Gummee
08-12-2018, 08:22 AM
[QUOTE=Burnette;2408871]

Don't phones with no monthly plan still make SOS/911 calls?

M

OtayBW
08-12-2018, 08:23 AM
I have just one cell/smart phone that I carry with me in my jersey pocket in a dedicated small bag (actually, a very nice Silca that I got on sale...). It is there for emergencies and on the odd occasion that I take a wrong turn and need to check a map to get back on course. But for those needs, it serves it's purpose well. That's it.

Mr. Pink
08-12-2018, 08:31 AM
How do these people survive?

I used to ask myself that when I saw tourists rollerblading on the streets of Manhattan back when it was popular. And they could barely skate.

Burnette
08-12-2018, 08:43 AM
[QUOTE=Burnette;2408871]

That's the ticket if I didn't have to add a phone to the plan. I feel comfortable having the big phone in the seat bag though. I got a hard case for it and cell foam material for inside the bag. The phone will probably come out better than in case of impact, Ha!

Burnette
08-12-2018, 08:46 AM
[QUOTE=oldpotatoe;2409003]

M

Mostly the phone is a tether to my wife, so the need for calls to her is needed.
The more I think about bagging the phone the more I like it. Having less in my jersey pockets feels better to me.

ftf
08-12-2018, 08:50 AM

M

Yes, All phones call 911 on plan or not, it's the law.

parris
08-12-2018, 08:54 AM
The whole distracted any activity keeps getting worse. It doesn't seem to matter the age either. Yesterday as I was waiting while my wife was picking up something at a store I couldn't help but see an older gentleman completely sucked into his phone. My thought is "this guy is setting himself up to be a victim". Running, walking, cycling, driving, shopping, etc.

We have posted signage in visitation and the Administration lobby that cell phone usage isn't allowed in the buildings. People still have to be told more often than not.

smontanaro
08-12-2018, 09:22 AM
The whole distracted any activity keeps getting worse. It doesn't seem to matter the age either.

And it seems they just expect everyone will notice them and steer clear.

parris
08-12-2018, 09:51 AM
^I believe in some, even many cases you're 100% correct. I think in others that they get so sucked in that they're not even aware of what they're doing outside of the little box of tech. I'm in no way saying that the people are right it's just an observation.

Clean39T
08-12-2018, 09:52 AM
I'll spare you all my rant about riders wearing headphones... I sincerely hope no one here is doing that out on the road (or on trails).

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ptourkin
08-12-2018, 10:10 AM
[QUOTE=Burnette;2408871]

This is a good plan. If you have one of those fancy iPhones, it may just jump out of your pocket of its own volition and start Snapsharting or Instatindering some celebrities. Crazy kids.

Burnette
08-12-2018, 11:50 AM
^I believe in some, even many cases you're 100% correct. I think in others that they get so sucked in that they're not even aware of what they're doing outside of the little box of tech. I'm in no way saying that the people are right it's just an observation.

Agree. And seeing the cyclist engrossed in his phone close to the yellow line and moving closer was an prime example of losing situational awareness. In all my years of riding In have never ridden with someone who did that and I'm not sure how I would handle it.

I guess I would feel like I was the designated driver in such a situation and keep an eye out for both of us and keep him in front of me too. If it was excessive I wouldn't ride with someone doing it.

Most of my rides are solo though so it's not an issue for me thankfully.

oldpotatoe
08-12-2018, 01:17 PM

That's the ticket if I didn't have to add a phone to the plan. I feel comfortable having the big phone in the seat bag though. I got a hard case for it and cell foam material for inside the bag. The phone will probably come out better than in case of impact, Ha!

Just get one of those phones that come loaded with a certain amount of time. You say just for emergencies, give your sig other the phone number.

cachagua
08-12-2018, 03:00 PM
Just get one of those phones that come loaded with a certain amount of time...

I like that idea. The thing could just live on its charger in the drawer where I keep bike gloves, sunglasses, and spare tubes, and whenever I'm heading out the door for a ride, stuff that in my pocket as well.

That is a darn fine idea, thanks!

Best and BEST thing about it: nobody knows the number. NOBODY will call me.

deechee
08-14-2018, 12:25 PM
There's an easier way of turning off features of your phone if you feel that you're not disciplined enough - like turning off the ringer; airplane mode; turning off notifications (email, fb etc.) . Also, most phones allow you to only have certain contacts contact you in a "do not disturb" mode etc. Having a prepaid just for riding seems like one more thing you can forget to charge before your ride. I'm pretty sure when it comes down to it, having your gps maps, email, flashlight etc is something you might miss when something happens.

Speaking of the distracted, I saw some guy in the middle of a fairly narrow (but quiet) road to my paretns' place towing his kid in a trailer, talking on the phone. Why risk your kid with your stupidity?

Burnette
08-14-2018, 04:37 PM
There's an easier way of turning off features of your phone if you feel that you're not disciplined enough - like turning off the ringer; airplane mode; turning off notifications (email, fb etc.) . Also, most phones allow you to only have certain contacts contact you in a "do not disturb" mode etc. Having a prepaid just for riding seems like one more thing you can forget to charge before your ride. I'm pretty sure when it comes down to it, having your gps maps, email, flashlight etc is something you might miss when something happens.

Speaking of the distracted, I saw some guy in the middle of a fairly narrow (but quiet) road to my paretns' place towing his kid in a trailer, talking on the phone. Why risk your kid with your stupidity?

The guy I noticed cycling while thumbing his phone, it was his level of disconnect that was amazing, he was into that phone like he was sitting on the couch when actually he was just a few feet off of the yellow line. I think that you can get too complacent in risky environments and IMO being deep into a phone and wandering towards the yellow line is an good example of that.

As far as my situation goes I'll just carry my phone in the seat bag.

Gummee
08-14-2018, 05:36 PM
[QUOTE=Gummee;2409028]

Mostly the phone is a tether to my wife, so the need for calls to her is needed.
The more I think about bagging the phone the more I like it. Having less in my jersey pockets feels better to me.

Before I got into the mortgage business, I didn't want anyone to call me when I was out riding.

AFTER I got into the mortgage business I didn't want anyone to call me either, but for different reasons.

I've been left walking a few times in the last 30 years. Last time I thumbed down an F150 and they gave me a ride to the LBS. Borrowed the owner's personal bike to finish what was left of my ride.

So, naw... y'all can have the electronic leash all y'all want. I'll pass.

M

Seramount
08-14-2018, 06:12 PM
I rode bikes for a half-century (years, not miles) without a phone.

always managed to get back home one way or the other...

the phone stays at home when I ride.

Burnette
08-14-2018, 07:32 PM
[QUOTE=Burnette;2409043]

Before I got into the mortgage business, I didn't want anyone to call me when I was out riding.

AFTER I got into the mortgage business I didn't want anyone to call me either, but for different reasons.

I've been left walking a few times in the last 30 years. Last time I thumbed down an F150 and they gave me a ride to the LBS. Borrowed the owner's personal bike to finish what was left of my ride.

So, naw... y'all can have the electronic leash all y'all want. I'll pass.

M

There's no right or wrong to it, we all have our preferences. I ride mostly solo and for 35 to 70 miles through small towns and on back country roads. The phone is a life line, I don't chat on it, it's there for emergencies. And heck no, I'm not walking home or haling a ride, Ha!

Funny you mention the mortgage business, my wife managed a group handling default mortgages, she's happy to have moved onto real estate accounting now.

ptourkin
08-15-2018, 02:20 PM
On the one hand, many of us own a device that easily fits in a pocket (especially that oversized Arrogant Bastard jersey that covers half your butt) that can:

Pay for transactions, negating the need for a wallet.
Take photos in case of an accident or interesting event, negating the need for a camera.
Give you route information if you desire.
Update you on weather conditions.
Store all your contact data and communicate with people in case of an emergency.
Store your insurance card if you need it.
Hail a ride in an emergency,
Replace a dedicate cycling computer when necessary to track your data.

And the best thing is, you don't even have to do any of those things but you can if you want.

On the other hand:

Get off my lawn you troll

LouDeeter
08-15-2018, 02:52 PM
I bought one of the larger phones about 10 months ago. First thing I noticed was that it doesn't fit well in my older jersey pockets. But, I use mapmyride to record my rides, and I like having it should there be an emergency on the road or at home. One of my tech savvy buddies has an ear bud for his phone, with microphone. He leaves the ear plug out unless he gets a call, then always pulls to the side of the road as he puts his bud in his ear to take the call. Never lasts more than 30 seconds. Doesn't happen often, but he doesn't even have to reach in his pocket to remove the phone, taking the risk of it falling on the road. Seems like a good approach to me.

Burnette
08-15-2018, 07:27 PM
I bought one of the larger phones about 10 months ago. First thing I noticed was that it doesn't fit well in my older jersey pockets. But, I use mapmyride to record my rides, and I like having it should there be an emergency on the road or at home. One of my tech savvy buddies has an ear bud for his phone, with microphone. He leaves the ear plug out unless he gets a call, then always pulls to the side of the road as he puts his bud in his ear to take the call. Never lasts more than 30 seconds. Doesn't happen often, but he doesn't even have to reach in his pocket to remove the phone, taking the risk of it falling on the road. Seems like a good approach to me.

Yes, my new phone is huge and I didn't want to carry it in my jersey because it may fall out and it wouldn't be comfortable back there so in the bag it goes.

Thanks for the ear bud idea, that sounds like a winner, I'll look into it.