PDA

View Full Version : OT: Canine pyloric stenosis

Veloo
08-11-2018, 04:54 PM
Apologies for a very OT thread.

Our 20 pound, 10 year old shih tzu has been diagnosed with pyloric stenosis. Waiting for biopsy results next week but ultrasounds showed an enlarged pylorus where even some of the tissue pointed back into the direction of the stomach.

Have had to blend his kibble into a milkshake consistency so the food can pass a bit easier through into the intestines. Not easy during feeding time cuz he's already an extremely picky eater. It's been a production with a large syringe.

Anyone ever deal with this in their pets? Have a feeling surgery will be the only option here. It sounds quite invasive and I'd guess recovery would be a rough road.

If anyone has tips on feeding for this condition, that's welcome too.

Thanks all.

buddybikes
08-11-2018, 06:51 PM
Wouldn't soft food be easier than dealing with kibbles? Even make your own with ground beef, apple sauce, greenbeans with plenty of moisture.

Good luck, hope that is the only diagnosis - better than the alternative...tumors

gasman
08-11-2018, 07:35 PM
Pyloric stenosis in humans presents at around 6 weeks of age and is a quick, easy surgery. I wonder how it differs in dogs but I would think that the softer the better in terms of feeding. Like was mentioned canned dog food ?

Veloo
08-11-2018, 08:07 PM
The kibble he has right now is for his stage 2 kidney disease. He was eating it for a few weeks and his kidney values improved a bit so I wanted to stay with it. I guess I could do wet food but I'd still have to blend that to a puree as well.
The kidney problems direct us to a low protein diet.

We backed away from beef years ago as we suspect he has an allergy to it.