PDA

View Full Version : Help: Thule 12mm Thru Axle adapter wobbles.

phoenix
08-11-2018, 08:16 AM
I’m curious if any of you have had much experience with the 12mm Thule Thru Axle adapter?

Here’s the issue. When the axle snugged down properly, the bike still has a little wobble in the front end. I made sure to double check that the carrier was tight to the crossbar, which it was. I can see that the only thing moving is the fork in the adapter. I feel like the bike is still secure up there, however if there was no wobble I would feel a lot better driving down the road. This just doesn’t seem right to me so I figured I would see what the consensus is here.

For reference, the axle is a Paul 12mm x 127m. I’m thinking that perhaps the adapter is a bit too narrow which is not allowing enough pressure to be applied to the fork? It seems like if there were 3mm of washers on the NDS between the axle head and the adapter that could potentially solve the issue. Unfortunately I won’t have an opportunity to check this theory till much later in the day.

Thanks!

dem
08-11-2018, 11:37 AM
If you just put the axle in, without the bike, does it wobble?

My motorcycle-bicycle rack had a similar issue I was not happy with - the inside diameter of the fork mount for the thru-axle was not a snug fit, so the whole fork could wobble grinding down the dropouts with movement.

Unlike a QR, it is not the clamping force that "holds" the axle in place - the whole thing shouldn't wobble at all.

I ended up creating a bushing out of shrink wrap tubing, which proved the theory.. later I replaced it with an aluminum can bushing which was even more stable.

https://dennisrides.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/wp-1490306560632.jpg?w=600

phoenix
08-11-2018, 06:19 PM
If you just put the axle in, without the bike, does it wobble?

My motorcycle-bicycle rack had a similar issue I was not happy with - the inside diameter of the fork mount for the thru-axle was not a snug fit, so the whole fork could wobble grinding down the dropouts with movement.

Unlike a QR, it is not the clamping force that "holds" the axle in place - the whole thing shouldn't wobble at all.

I ended up creating a bushing out of shrink wrap tubing, which proved the theory.. later I replaced it with an aluminum can bushing which was even more stable.

https://dennisrides.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/wp-1490306560632.jpg?w=600

Yeah, I think you’re spot on. I guess i’ll need to come up with something to act as a shim inside the adapter. An adapter for an adapter. Crazy that Thule sells this as a 12mm adapter and it’s still like throwing a hotdog down the hallway.