PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a Tubeless Tire for Gravel

saab2000
08-10-2018, 06:57 AM
This has probably been beaten to death here but that's what we do, so bear with me.

Looking to go tubeless and add some volume to the wheels on my Indy Fab. I'm running Michelin Jets right now with inner tubes. The rims are Pacenti SL25, tubeless ready rims. I'll have to get some tubeless valves but the tape is already in place.

The Jets are in the 32mm range I believe (can't measure - not at home) and I'd like to go to about 38mm or so and run these at lower pressure, in the 35-45 PSI range, maybe lower if appropriate.

The roads I ride with this bike are a mix of paved and gravel with the gravel being anything from hard pack to loose but mostly a harder pack. Not super rustic for the most part. Just unpaved roads.

Do I go with a Compass? When I search on some online sales sites some of the bigger brands are not advertised as tubeless tires and for the sake of safety, I want tires that are intended to be run as tubeless.

What say ye? This is my first foray into tubeless and I know there's a lot of wisdom and experience here. I have the help I need with sealant and installation so I'm not looking for too much advice there, mostly tire suggestions in the 700x38 range.

TIA

Lionel
08-10-2018, 07:24 AM
Go to Compass EL and keep the tubes.

saab2000
08-10-2018, 07:27 AM

Is this what you did on your Seven? Why?

My buddies with larger volume tires haven't had issues.

Luwabra
08-10-2018, 07:34 AM

Skip the EL. standard is plenty kush. Gravel King, g-one’s also awesome

Bonesbrigade
08-10-2018, 07:40 AM
If you go Compass ELs, definitively skip the tubeless - too many problems. If you want compass and tubeless, use the standard version - they are only slightly higher in Crr, but you'll get that back tubeless and have the added safety for flatting when running lower pressure.

For another option that isn't super wide, but very good, I'm using a set of WTB Exposure 34mm - they air up to about 36mm. These are tubeless and setup really easy. They have a smooth centre and knobs on the outside. I really like them for conditions that don't get too rowdy where more volume is needed.

AngryScientist
08-10-2018, 07:41 AM
i think for what you're describing i'd go with the compass bon jons.

personally i tried their 38c tire, and it was just too fat for me. it effected the handling of the bike and turning the front end was not as crisp. the 35c bon jovis are the biggest i want to go, but they blow up to over 35mm on 23mm rims, for sure.

i think if you're looking for a "roadish" ride, once you get past 35mm or so on a 700c wheel size, it's overkill and dampens the handling of the bike, especially the front end beyond what i find acceptable or "fun".

but that's just me, and i weigh 132#, so bear that in mind also.

Dsteiker
08-10-2018, 07:41 AM
I have had very good luck with the Donnely Strada USH. Great for mixed terrain riding. comes in a 32 and 40. Or check out the X'Plor MSO for something more aggressive.

https://www.donnellycycling.com/products/strada-ush-tubeless

Not as supple as a Compass tire, but more sidewall protection.

DRZRM
08-10-2018, 07:46 AM
I don't have my gravel bike in hand yet, but based on lots of research, I'd go Compass Steilacoom. Knobs, but remarkable speed and stability on pavement.

Great review. https://road.cc/content/review/242608-compass-steilacoom-tc-tyre

GregL
08-10-2018, 07:47 AM
They might be a bit more aggressive than you're looking for, but I've been very pleased with the Panaracer Gravel King SKs. They're available in 35, 38, and 43mm widths. They have lots of volume. I found them ideal for the type of gravel racing I've done. They'll tackle both smooth and rough gravel as well as pavement. With moderate-low pressures, they're very comfortable over the rough stuff.

Greg

saab2000
08-10-2018, 07:51 AM
They might be a bit more aggressive than you're looking for, but I've been very pleased with the Panaracer Gravel King SKs. They're available in 35, 38, and 43mm widths. They have lots of volume. I found them ideal for the type of gravel racing I've done. They'll tackle both smooth and rough gravel as well as pavement. With moderate-low pressures, they're very comfortable over the rough stuff.

Greg

I *think* what I really am looking for is the file tread version of this tire, the regular Gravel King in a 38mm width. I'm finding it online a bit.

Tempted by the SKs but I'm not sure I need the knobs.

DRZRM
08-10-2018, 08:21 AM
Elwood Terrene is also nice if you can fit a 40. I may have a lightly used pair in the basement.

ptourkin
08-10-2018, 08:22 AM
There has been a lot of discussion on this but if your intent is really to ride gravel on tubeless, I'd avoid Jan's Koolaid and get a dedicated tubeless tire rather than anything from Compass. They look good and feel nice on the road but I could never shake the sense that they were going to get ripped up by rocks. Also, they have a tendency to blow off the rim.

There are so many options out there now.

ColonelJLloyd
08-10-2018, 08:42 AM
I don't doubt that others have had issues with Compass tires and tubeless setups. As has been pointed out there are tire brands that produce tubeless tires that almost always setup and work well tubeless on just about any rim.

I will say, though, that I am running SBH EL on Crest Mk3 rims and BJP EL on Blunt SL rims (standard blue tubeless tape and Orange Seal with both) and haven't had any issues like reluctance to seat, sidewall seepage or the like.

The truth is that there are a lot of variables at play with a tubeless setup and all generalizations are false.

saab2000
08-10-2018, 09:05 AM
I think I've narrowed it down to the Panaracer Gravel King and the Hutchinson Overide. Both seem pretty decent for my application.

A buddy rides the Hutchinson and has had good luck.

Bonesbrigade
08-10-2018, 09:07 AM
I don't doubt that others have had issues with Compass tires and tubeless setups. As has been pointed out there are tire brands that produce tubeless tires that almost always setup and work well tubeless on just about any rim.

I will say, though, that I am running SBH EL on Crest Mk3 rims and BJP EL on Blunt SL rims (standard blue tubeless tape and Orange Seal with both) and haven't had any issues like reluctance to seat, sidewall seepage or the like.

The truth is that there are a lot of variables at play with a tubeless setup and all generalizations are false.

For me personally, I haven't had any issues setting up Compass Els (SBH, bon jons) or holding air for that matter. The problems I've had is tearing on the side wall around the bead area when tire takes a bigger hit.

This shouldn't happen IMO with a reliable tubeless setup. I have seen this happen so many times with others in my riding group, so it's definitely a wider problem than just my setup/use.

Anyway, they do work, but you really have to avoid any big hits or rim strikes.

GregL
08-10-2018, 09:13 AM
I think I've narrowed it down to the Panaracer Gravel King and the Hutchinson Overide. Both seem pretty decent for my application.

A buddy rides the Hutchinson and has had good luck.
And you can't go wrong with the Gravel Kings. I took two wheelsets with me to our family camp the week before last. Gravel King 28s were used for pavement and smooth gravel. Gravel King SK 35s were used for the rough gravel, Jeep trails, and singletrack. Both sets of tires worked perfectly for their intended purposes. It was great to roll out of bed in the AM and swap wheels depending on my riding interest for the day!

Greg

saab2000
08-10-2018, 09:17 AM
And you can't go wrong with the Gravel Kings. I took two wheelsets with me to our family camp the week before last. Gravel King 28s were used for pavement and smooth gravel. Gravel King SK 35s were used for the rough gravel, Jeep trails, and singletrack. Both sets of tires worked perfectly for their intended purposes. It was great to roll out of bed in the AM and swap wheels depending on my riding interest for the day!

Greg

I think I'm looking at the non-SK version, just the herringbone tread version. 700x38.

tlarwa
08-10-2018, 09:30 AM

I just mounted 38mm GK Slicks, and they are great, even with tubes. I am going to try running them TL, just haven't had the time to switch over yet. I am running them on tarmac and gravel and really like them. The roll fast!

Lionel
08-10-2018, 09:34 AM
Is this what you did on your Seven? Why?

My buddies with larger volume tires haven't had issues.

Yes, I think tubeless is best used at MTB pressures.

saab2000
08-10-2018, 09:39 AM
Yes, I think tubeless is best used at MTB pressures.

The guys I know running 38mm tires are running in the 40PSI range, so not too high.

Lionel
08-10-2018, 09:46 AM
The guys I know running 38mm tires are running in the 40PSI range, so not too high.

Yeah, this is still 2x MTB pressure. This is plenty to make a massive mess with sealant in case of a larger hole. Anyway, I have not flatted enough with my setup to deal with this mess. I also tend to go extended periods without riding this bike and this does not work well with sealant that dries out, another mess. If you ride it every other day it's a different story.

saab2000
08-10-2018, 09:57 AM
Well, it's an experiment.

Panaracer Gravelking 700x38s, Finish Line sealant and sealant injector ordered. I think I have the valve stems sitting around somewhere.

Looking forward to this experiment. Hopefully it's a step up from my Michelin Jets with inner tubes.

.RJ
08-10-2018, 10:00 AM
Clement MSO or Gravel King are both great options.

Easy tubeless, durable, fast rolling on pavement. I've used both, and cant think of anything different I'd want to replace them with.

rst72
08-10-2018, 10:04 AM
I really like the Challenge Gravel Grinders.

http://www.challengetech.it/products/gravel/gravel-grinder-053/en

Hilltopperny
08-10-2018, 10:04 AM

+1 all great choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gummee
08-10-2018, 10:23 AM

GregI've got a pair of the 40c Gravel Kings on my SSCX.

They're holding up well

M

Miller76
08-10-2018, 10:27 AM
Following this closely as I have never run tubeless but am very keen to. I'm always just concerned about risks, do you just carry a spare tube in case the sealant doesn't do the trick? what about tire/sealant maintenance? Is there anything I should factor in being a bigger/heavier rider?

R3awak3n
08-10-2018, 10:38 AM
Following this closely as I have never run tubeless but am very keen to. I'm always just concerned about risks, do you just carry a spare tube in case the sealant doesn't do the trick? what about tire/sealant maintenance? Is there anything I should factor in being a bigger/heavier rider?

no problems with tubeless with heavy rider.

I always carry a tube or 2, there are some punctures sealant can't fix and if that happens you need a tube (there are also tubeless puncture kits you can use). I think when tires are new, very little chances of getting flats but as tires get used up it happens more often and eventually you get the hole that will not seal with sealant.

tubeless is awesome. I have done with with compass and WTB. WTB is better at tubeless but compass is fine, I had the tires for like 1000 miles set up tubeless and they were great. I just got gravel kings so will set them up tubeless tomorrow.

alembical
08-10-2018, 12:58 PM
I run both the G-Ones and the GravelKing SKs. I like both. I also have the WTB ByWays and Horizons, which I also like. All things have tradeoffs. Just depends on your priorities. I am 100% tubeless though, although I do carry a tube in case.

Jaybee
08-10-2018, 01:05 PM

Yes, spare tube. I spin my tires on bikes I don't ride every so often to distribute sealant. I add another ounce or two if it doesn't sound sloshy. With Orange Seal Endurance, I am getting 6+ months in high and dry Colorado. Tubeless is even better for big guys - less chance of pinch flat.

ptourkin
08-10-2018, 01:16 PM
Well, it's an experiment.

Panaracer Gravelking 700x38s, Finish Line sealant and sealant injector ordered. I think I have the valve stems sitting around somewhere.

Looking forward to this experiment. Hopefully it's a step up from my Michelin Jets with inner tubes.

I would reconsider the Finish Line. The recent test on Bike Radar found it almost worthless. OTOH, the race version of Stan's (with glitter) sealed a 8mm hole.

ColonelJLloyd
08-10-2018, 01:38 PM
I would reconsider the Finish Line. The recent test on Bike Radar found it almost worthless. OTOH, the race version of Stan's (with glitter) sealed a 8mm hole.

I know the Internet can exacerbate things, but literally everything I've read about the Finish Line sealant from people who've tried it points to it being garbage. I started using Orange Seal out of the gate and it has given me no reason to look elsewhere.

ptourkin
08-10-2018, 01:51 PM
I know the Internet can exacerbate things, but literally everything I've read about the Finish Line sealant from people who've tried it points to it being garbage. I started using Orange Seal out of the gate and it has given me no reason to look elsewhere.

It's the only one that isn't latex-based. I watched the video, it really doesn't do anything. I've gone back and forth between regular Stan's and Orange Seal. They both work. Stan's stays wet a little longer in my observations but both are fine.

Hilltopperny
08-10-2018, 01:59 PM
Local shop says the finish line is useless as well. I have been running Stans and orange seal with great success.

I keep some sealant and a tube just in case, but haven’t had any issues yet while on a ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saab2000
08-10-2018, 02:02 PM
I'm trying the Finish Line based on the experience of a friend who has liked it. We'll see. If it's useless I'll go elsewhere. FWIW, I'm generally not flat-prone.

SlowPokePete
08-10-2018, 03:32 PM
...Panaracer Gravel King ...

Get these, you won't be disappointed.

The 38's I have measure 40mm on my rims (I think 24mm i/d)

SPP

SlowPokePete
08-10-2018, 03:33 PM
^ oops looks like you did :hello:

SPP

saab2000
08-10-2018, 03:41 PM
^ oops looks like you did :hello:

SPP

Yup. Hope to have them up and running this coming week. Looking forward to something new.

Hobine
08-10-2018, 08:18 PM
The Gravel Kings are excellent and set up tubeless easily (TLC version). I just put some 650b x 1.9 SK’s on my Haanjo.
I was very surprised how well they roll on pavement. As well or better than the WTB Byways they replaced.
On dirt roads and trails they are awesome.

R3awak3n
08-10-2018, 10:11 PM
The Gravel Kings are excellent and set up tubeless easily (TLC version). I just put some 650b x 1.9 SK’s on my Haanjo.
I was very surprised how well they roll on pavement. As well or better than the WTB Byways they replaced.
On dirt roads and trails they are awesome.

Thats so good to hear. The byways are terrible on pavement and I just got some GKs 1.9. Hope they ride close to compass swichback hill

fogrider
08-11-2018, 03:03 AM
I've been using the Maxxis Rambler in 38s for about 3 months and it's a pretty good for road and dirt in the dry. I run them about 40 psi on the road and drop them down to about 30 in the dirt. On the road they roll pretty fast pumped up but nothing like my tubulars, but my tubies can't handle the dirt...I've been running the Rambler tubeless without problems.

trener1
08-15-2018, 08:56 AM
For those that are using the Gravel Kings, are you using the SK or the smooth version?.

saab2000
08-15-2018, 08:59 AM
For those that are using the Gravel Kings, are you using the SK or the smooth version?.

I specifically ordered the ones with the herringbone tread. I think it will serve well on the unpaved roads in my area.

jambee
08-15-2018, 09:04 AM
I have been running Compass 700C x 44 Snoqualmie Pass since they were released.

They blow up to 42mm on Pacenti SL25.

I had mixed success setting them up tubeless, but I hear that Orange Seal is the magic potion to use.

For your application, which sounds like exactly my application, I don't see any need for any form of knobs in the tire. The only time knobs play a role is when it's wet and muddy. Otherwise the Compass tires are a fantastic ride.

I also have a 650B ride that uses Terrene Elwood. These pretty much must be set tubeless as they are soooooo thin. I find them to be fun and quick, but not on the same level as compass.

Mzilliox
08-15-2018, 09:04 AM
I really like the Challenge Gravel Grinders.

http://www.challengetech.it/products/gravel/gravel-grinder-053/en

i see they are making tubeless versions now. love my almanzos w tubes, great tire!

GregL
08-15-2018, 09:05 AM
I have both. I use the smooth (actually a light file tread) version in 700x28 for pavement and smooth gravel. I use the SK version in 700x35 for rough gravel. I would use the wider 38 or 43mm version of the SK, but the 35s are the widest that will fit my frame and still allow decent mud clearance.

Greg

saab2000
08-21-2018, 03:35 PM
Got the Gravel Kings installed. Pretty easy tubeless installation to be honest, with 3 oz. of Finish Line sealant. They measure out to exactly 38mm on these Pacenti SL25 rims. Shakedown ride this evening.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1847/30315806098_9113c1ad67_h.jpg

tylercheung
08-21-2018, 07:50 PM
I was actually looking to try Gravelking 32's for light dirt/gravelish use. How much different are the SK vs Slicks, if I'm also going to be using the bike for light "around-town" commuting work? I'm not sure re tubeless and sealant (on Archetype rims) so I was just going to use tubes at say 60 psi?. Unless that is a horrible idea.