PDA

View Full Version : New Style Campy Brake

Jef58
08-10-2018, 05:14 AM
Hello, does anyone know how much clearance difference in the newest version of Campy brakes ? Long story short, I have a V1 Falz and am limited in tire size to most 25's. A Conti GP4000 25 rubs on the brake but slightly clears the fork. 28's are not an issue for me, but would like any 25 size to fit. I know this combo of fork and brake has been an issue, and was wondering if the new '12' brake solved this...

ERK55
08-10-2018, 06:31 AM
Presumably you are referring to the new design for the 12 speed groupset. I read somewhere that the new calipers will accomodate at least 28’s, if not more. Bear in mind that for now they will be available only at Record and Super Record levels... I think the list price was something like $400.

AngryScientist
08-10-2018, 06:36 AM
which version do you have now?

reportedly even the newer style non 12 brakes have a bit more clearance than the old ones, but it's really difficult to get measured dimensions that are meaningful to your particular case unless someone has the same combination of fork and rim/tire to measure.

anyway, if you're ready to spend some big bucks, EE Brakes should solve your problem as well.

one60
08-10-2018, 06:43 AM
If you just need a small amount of clearance, adding a few washers (assuming the bolt is long enough) can provide additional clearance as the brake post is at an angle. You may need to drop the pads to the bottom of the slots to make it all work.

oldpotatoe
08-10-2018, 06:44 AM
which version do you have now?

reportedly even the newer style non 12 brakes have a bit more clearance than the old ones, but it's really difficult to get measured dimensions that are meaningful to your particular case unless someone has the same combination of fork and rim/tire to measure.

anyway, if you're ready to spend some big bucks, EE Brakes should solve your problem as well.

The newer brakes(Chorus and below) that used a threaded barrel adjuster(as in the caliper arm is threaded for the barrel adjuster) have more tire clearance..started in 2015(and made by Tektro/TRP, btw)...Whether they have 'enough' for your application, don't know but they have more than SR/Record.

jdp211
08-10-2018, 09:11 AM
A lot of brake clearance has to do with where the brake bridge and fork crown are mounted in relation to the rim. Below is a a new Potenza brake on my RB-1 with plenty of clearance for a Rol-y Pol-y (28) mounted to Belgiums.

https://i.imgur.com/vBnBZwrh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/53bvGIRh.jpg

Jef58
08-10-2018, 05:11 PM
Thanks, I have the 11 speed version of a Super Record brake. The Falz is the older V1 which appears to have a lower than normal bolt mounting. I have the same problem on a LOOK 586. I always used to run 23's or some 25's like a Shwalbe Durano but recently received Conti GP4000 25's on a Fulcrum wheel deal from Merlin Cycles. That tire installed did clear the fork, but rubbed on the Campy brake. I now have the Durano 25 on it and it works, so maybe finding a good riding 23 or small 25 will be ok.
The older style pre-skeleton brake did not have this issue, and I have an older silver set in my parts stash. The idea of spacing out the brake may work since I have plenty of pad adjustment. This is not the end of the world not being able to run what appears to be bigger than normal 25's with this combo, but was hearing that Campy made a change in their new "12 speed" brakes to solve this. For the price of a new brake set, I could replace the fork to the V2 Falz...

Plum Hill
08-10-2018, 05:15 PM
The newer brakes(Chorus and below) that used a threaded barrel adjuster(as in the caliper arm is threaded for the barrel adjuster) have more tire clearance..started in 2015(and made by Tektro/TRP, btw)...Whether they have 'enough' for your application, don't know but they have more than SR/Record.

Say what?
Taiwanese made Campy?

Never
08-10-2018, 05:43 PM
The newer brakes(Chorus and below) that used a threaded barrel adjuster(as in the caliper arm is threaded for the barrel adjuster) have more tire clearance..started in 2015(and made by Tektro/TRP, btw)...Say what?
Taiwanese made Campy?

Not really on topic to the original poster's question, but for at least some Campagnolo brakesets, yes, definitely.

The relationship may have started with Tektro/TRP manufacturing the Campagnolo cantilever brakes some years ago, and then more recently some road, etc. later as oldpotatoe stated above.

Tektro/TRP are good. When I needed some parts for Campagnolo-branded cantilever brakes, nothing was available from Campagnolo anywhere (Italy or NA), whereas Tektro USA (Chicago) sent the pieces out asap. Excellent customer service.

weiwentg
08-10-2018, 06:00 PM
A lot of brake clearance has to do with where the brake bridge and fork crown are mounted in relation to the rim. Below is a a new Potenza brake on my RB-1 with plenty of clearance for a Rol-y Pol-y (28) mounted to Belgiums.

I will second that. I could easily get my 25/26c tires (Specialized Turbo 26s on Pace to SL23 v1s) into a 10s Chorus pair of brakes. I believe I could even have crammed 28s in there, and the brakes would have been ok. The bike was designed such that the brake pad holders were at the very bottom of the slots (LBS even had to file the rear brake slot about 2mm lower).

pdmtong
08-10-2018, 06:36 PM
the newer taiwan made brakes have a lower pivot that accoodates a taller/fatter tyre better, including the larger than whats printed ont he sidewall 4ks2

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=224350

oldpotatoe
08-10-2018, 09:28 PM
Say what?
Taiwanese made Campy?

More than you might think.:)
Good
Stuff.

merckxman
08-11-2018, 06:22 AM
My silver alloy Chorus 11 speed brakesets were made in Romania for sure.

R3awak3n
08-11-2018, 07:35 AM
I just bought some of the new Potenza brakes, they are nice. However they are matte/shiney if that matters. They do give you a tiny bit more clearance. You also get to use shimano pads which are easier to find/I prefer the mounting system. Give those a try, they are cheap too, I got them for like $50 on ebay brand new.

Jef58
08-11-2018, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the responses. This all started when I put the 'free' GP4000 25's on...which measured almost 3mm taller than the Durano. I ordered some GP4000 in 23's for the front that should be fine for my needs, and ride better than the training tire. I tried to look for some database online for tire sizes between brands, but most were about width not height.

I read about this issue with the V1 Falz, but never paid much attention to it until now. I'll just stay away from that tire for the front and be careful about trying other brands that may run tall.

C40_guy
08-11-2018, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the responses. This all started when I put the 'free' GP4000 25's on...which measured almost 3mm taller than the Durano.

The Conti 4000 is my go to tire of choice, but on my C50, the tire has minimal clearance under the front fork, by the seat tube and the chain stays.

Is the Durano as wide as the Conti, or is it a smaller tire overall (given the same nominal 25mm labeling)?

If it's smaller overall, I might just move back to the 23mm Conti for the C50...

pdmtong
08-11-2018, 12:00 PM
If you poke around you’ll see I had the same challenges - conti are the widest and tallest for a given size.

To reiterate I always thought / read the fork would be the limiter but that’s not true. I could not use a conti 25 on a 2013 moots with the “older” campy 2014 brake in the front and also the rear.

Switching from conti to vittoria made a difference. Getting the newer 2015 brake made a difference. Beeatnik has posted dozens of pictures on this in various threads.

Lastly as you said you could ride 23 again.

I too could have done that but What I couldn’t reconcile is why campy mandates the new C17 rim width only be used with 25 or larger. This is in the fine print in the wheel spec I did call jerry but he just kept reiterating that’s the factory spec and should be followed without describing any safety or performance perspectives for the mandate