PDA

View Full Version : Davis Phinney Huffy Serotta Team Road Bike Tour de France dura ace 7400 vintage

redir
08-09-2018, 09:54 AM
Some of you guys might be interested in this. Wasn't Ben just looking for one of these for a show in the DC area?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283087925593?ul_noapp=true

3 days left of bidding any guesses how high it will go?

echelon_john
08-09-2018, 09:58 AM
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=225989&highlight=phinney

redir
08-09-2018, 10:03 AM
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=225989&highlight=phinney

Ok thanks.

vqdriver
08-09-2018, 12:28 PM
this is cool
"130mm Dura ace stem "

but sorry, they couldn't at least wipe down this "piece of American cycling history"?

Bruce K
08-09-2018, 12:59 PM
I think the lack of cleanup is done nyended to add to the provenance but who knows whether the dirt is from The Tour or the local coffee run?

Either way, if I had the cash, I’d snap this up in a heartbeat.

BK

Seramount
08-09-2018, 01:30 PM
this is cool 130mm Dura ace stem "

but sorry, they couldn't at least wipe down this "piece of American cycling history"?

the 'barn find' look is popular among the auto crowd...

sellers say they want the buyer to have the 'fun' of cleaning the dust and rust off of a 'rare find.'

jrsbike
08-09-2018, 08:40 PM
So what do you do with a bike like this? Repaint or Clean up, fix the rust and clear coat the problem areas?

pbarry
08-09-2018, 08:44 PM
Looks like Davis' size, but thought he rode a 57TT?

charliedid
08-09-2018, 09:01 PM
I'd buy it for $200 tops.

unterhausen
08-09-2018, 09:11 PM
I felt compelled to go watch the youtube of that bike winning a TdF stage.
#2 and 3 on that stage didn't sprint very hard, and then the announcer goes on and on about how well #3 is doing.

mtechnica
08-09-2018, 09:13 PM
Yikes that thing looks pretty beat. Was gonna say it doesn't look like a 53, looks like it would fit me, turns out it's just a long and low. I doubt a whole lot of people could actually make use of a frame that size, but maybe nobody will actually try to ride it anyhow. I would...

Verdict: $2400

pbarry
08-09-2018, 09:28 PM
1,469.00 winning bid is my guess.

oldpotatoe
08-10-2018, 06:56 AM
So what do you do with a bike like this? Repaint or Clean up, fix the rust and clear coat the problem areas?

Just about all of these broke so I'd be careful doing anything but making wall art with it, if it's legit..

Brian Smith
08-10-2018, 08:45 AM
Those cables though (https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/BOUAAOSwg2FbYQl~/s-l1600.jpg)
Dura-Ace

redir
08-10-2018, 11:17 AM
Just about all of these broke so I'd be careful doing anything but making wall art with it, if it's legit..

Yeah but look at the legs of the guys who broke them :D

jtakeda
08-10-2018, 11:43 AM
I think I said this in the other thread but I have it at 2100. Are we playing price is right rules?

pbarry
08-12-2018, 12:57 PM
Checked the auction today. The bidding has gone crazy. :eek:

gemship
08-12-2018, 01:54 PM
I wonder at this point of the highest bid if the bike is a good deal? Seems like it could be quite the collectable.

unterhausen
08-12-2018, 02:02 PM
I doubt it's a good investment long-term. Someone with that kind of money getting it for sentimental reasons is a totally different matter. Americans doing well in Europe was still a novelty back then, although it has unfortunately become a novelty again. But I'm sure there are well-off bike racing fans that have extra room in their McMansions that need a wall hanger, and this bike is pretty special

gemship
08-12-2018, 02:04 PM
I doubt it's a good investment long-term. Someone with that kind of money getting it for sentimental reasons is a totally different matter. Americans doing well in Europe was still a novelty back then, although it has unfortunately become a novelty again. But I'm sure there are well-off bike racing fans that have extra room in their McMansions that need a wall hanger, and this bike is pretty special

Yup sounds sage. It's a strange market indeed but I guess what pushes one to purchase is a passion for it as well as disposable income and space of course to show it off.

charliedid
08-12-2018, 03:51 PM
Weird

Paying that much money for someone's old beat up bike just to say you have (insert famous rider's name) bike.

It was a tool for a pro but a piece of jewelry for a Fred.

Whatever.

fignon's barber
08-12-2018, 03:55 PM
Are my eyes going, or is the bidding at $4200 with 3 hours to go?:eek:

pbarry
08-12-2018, 03:57 PM
Some older high maximum bids in there, so not just momentary exuberance. I am amazed at where this is going.

jtakeda
08-12-2018, 04:01 PM
Some older high maximum bids in there, so not just momentary exuberance. I am amazed at where this is going.

I guess I sold my huffy 7/11 too cheap after all

ultraman6970
08-12-2018, 04:18 PM
Something tells me that the bike will be posted again due to unpayment.

The other option is that taylor wants dad's bike in the collection? but either way....

Ronsonic
08-12-2018, 05:36 PM
the 'barn find' look is popular among the auto crowd...

sellers say they want the buyer to have the 'fun' of cleaning the dust and rust off of a 'rare find.'

The truth is that sellers are terrified that if they touch it with even a paint brush full of Pledge a big chunk of paint will fall off revealing a rust-though or other calamity.

unterhausen
08-12-2018, 06:13 PM

that's a recipe for shill bidding. And resulting non-payment

pbarry
08-12-2018, 06:20 PM
Hmm, hadn't thought of that.. Interesting too is "private bidding" on this listing as all user ID's are already truncated in public bid listings.

Tonger
08-12-2018, 07:06 PM
Weird

Paying that much money for someone's old beat up bike just to say you have (insert famous rider's name) bike.

It was a tool for a pro but a piece of jewelry for a Fred.

Whatever.

Vintage motorcycles, sports cars, guitars, and even bicycles were hand built by skilled craftsmen and have a soul. They are tactile and you can appreciate the care and effort of the artisan creating them. This bike was not popped out of a mold.

Having watched the 7-11 guys race in my formative years, I think the chance to connect to a historically relevant race bike with one of the most accomplished riders for a few thousand dollars is inexpensive fun. It’s kind of like finding and buying one of the Martini Racing Porsches from the 1970’s - but on a beer budget.

What someone else pays for Davis Phinney’s ex race bike really doesn’t matter to me. I’m personally not bidding on it - but I’m not going to put down the guy that does...

Cicli
08-12-2018, 07:23 PM
It will be relisted within 24 hours.

Peter P.
08-12-2018, 07:56 PM
Vintage motorcycles, sports cars, guitars, and even bicycles were hand built by skilled craftsmen and have a soul. ... but I’m not going to put down the guy that does...

Well said.

mistermo
08-12-2018, 08:26 PM
It will be relisted within 24 hours.
^this.

Anybody care to guess what Andy Hampsten's Motorola Eddy Merckx is worth? I have one and it's not super clean, but is in better condition than that Serotta/Huffy. I've never bothered to investigate provenance.

pbarry
08-12-2018, 08:53 PM
^^ Exactly.

One of Andy's ought to be worth more, nothing against Davis.

Seller has quite a bit of negative feedback if you look.

This auction had the action of a Confente on the block. :eek:

charliedid
08-12-2018, 09:30 PM
Vintage motorcycles, sports cars, guitars, and even bicycles were hand built by skilled craftsmen and have a soul. They are tactile and you can appreciate the care and effort of the artisan creating them. This bike was not popped out of a mold.

Having watched the 7-11 guys race in my formative years, I think the chance to connect to a historically relevant race bike with one of the most accomplished riders for a few thousand dollars is inexpensive fun. It’s kind of like finding and buying one of the Martini Racing Porsches from the 1970’s - but on a beer budget.

What someone else pays for Davis Phinney’s ex race bike really doesn’t matter to me. I’m personally not bidding on it - but I’m not going to put down the guy that does...

You'll never change the way I see these things. Especially when you talk about vintage bikes as having souls and being built by craftsmen and being tactile...

NEWS FLASH - There are still people building bikes out of all sorts of materials with the same care and attention to detail and in many cases greater attention to craft and detail than vintage bikes of yore.

Like you, I really don't care what people spend $ on, but for $4000 I could buy a brand new (insert builder's name) frame that I get to make my own history and memories with. Buying an ex pro's old bike so you can show and tell it to your friends is a strange concept to me and always will be.

No harm, still strange.

Tonger
08-12-2018, 09:45 PM
You'll never change the way I see these things. Especially when you talk about vintage bikes as having souls and being built by craftsmen and being tactile...

NEWS FLASH - There are still people building bikes out of all sorts of materials with the same care and attention to detail and in many cases greater attention to craft and detail than vintage bikes of yore.

Like you, I really don't care what people spend $ on, but for $4000 I could buy a brand new (insert builder's name) frame that I get to make my own history and memories with. Buying an ex pro's old bike so you can show and tell it to your friends is a strange concept to me and always will be.

No harm, still strange.

Not trying to change how you see things, just trying to keep you from belittling those that might see things differently.

NEWS FLASH - Stay super duper awesome and be well...

charliedid
08-12-2018, 10:10 PM
:)

fignon's barber
08-13-2018, 06:18 AM
Anybody care to guess what Andy Hampsten's Motorola Eddy Merckx is worth? I have one and it's not super clean, but is in better condition than that Serotta/Huffy. I've never bothered to investigate provenance.

Hard to say. I was following (out of curiosity, not to buy) a Steve Bauer Motorola Merckx on ebay for several months. The complete dura ace bike was buy-it now for , iirc, $1100 or so and seemed to draw no interest. That's why I was surprised to see the bidding on this one so high.

redir
08-13-2018, 08:11 AM
Hmmmmm the link now goes to a vintage Centurion. Anyone know what it sold for?

I don't see it that much different then say for example when we were kids and you got a signed ball from Johnny Bench or something like that. Or your favorite pitchers glove. Yeah we are all growed up now but we can still be kids at heart too.

I think it would be cool to own that bike but not at $4500 bucks.

jtakeda
08-13-2018, 09:05 AM
$4200

semdoug
08-13-2018, 09:26 AM
Out of curiosity, does anyone know how the seller has proven that the bike is what is claimed? Some guy’s story and a YouTube video seems a little sketchy. Is there more information, team records, serial numbers or the like? My question is just for education and not a suggestion that there is something crooked. Though, it did enter my mind.

Bentley
08-13-2018, 09:35 AM
Out of curiosity, does anyone know how the seller has proven that the bike is what is claimed? Some guy’s story and a YouTube video seems a little sketchy. Is there more information, team records, serial numbers or the like? My question is just for education and not a suggestion that there is something crooked. Though, it did enter my mind.

I read the post over and over, it was pretty carefully worded and if he had "certified provenance" it would have been easy to post photos of a signed letter or something. I think it is just a "replica", but I could be wrong.

On the value end, its worth whatever it is worth to the person that bought it. I have seen some vintage bikes hung in stores that are either "not for sale" or have pretty outrageous prices on them.

At the end of the day, if the buyer is happy then all is good.