PDA

View Full Version : HR wrist device recommendation please

kgreene10
08-08-2018, 10:56 PM
I would like a Bluetooth or ANT+ enabled wrist band/watch that will pair with my Wahoo Tickr chest strap and show real time HR. I want it to be reliable but cheap and don’t think I need any other functions. I’ll use it when I travel and sit on a cheap exercise bike in whatever gym I can find. I recognize the my phone can do what I want, but I prefer to save battery and not worry about where to put it as I’m spinning. So, any recommendations for something cheap that works reliably and I can get through Amazon Prime before I travel next week? Thanks ye-gadget savvy Paceliners.

joosttx
08-08-2018, 11:13 PM
You want something on your wrist to record your HR from your whaoo chest strap?

I think the wahoo app on your phone will do that. But I am not sure.

joosttx
08-08-2018, 11:21 PM
You want something on your wrist to record your HR from your whaoo chest strap?

I think the wahoo app on your phone will do that. But I am not sure.

I think this should work on your phone. I am assuming you have an iphone.

App: Wahoo Fitness by Wahoo Fitness

stev0
08-08-2018, 11:43 PM
I recognize the my phone can do what I want, but I prefer to save battery and not worry about where to put it as I’m spinning. So, any recommendations for something cheap that works reliably and I can get through Amazon Prime before I travel next week?

so, what's "cheap"? It seems to me that any wrist device which has ANT+ or BT that would connect to the tickr would have optical HR built in nowadays. for instance, the vivosmart 3 for $86 (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/garmin-vivosmart-3-activity-tracker-heart-rate-small-medium-black/5796702.p?skuId=5796702). I would imagine that older/cheaper stuff would be available used, but would be less appealing in general, and harder to get on short notice. It seems there are many options around $100 with built in optical HR, less options with ANT+/BT which can be had for less money.

cgolvin
08-09-2018, 07:16 PM
As I understand the request, you don't want an optical (or other) HR, you just want a wrist thing that will mirror the HR that your TICKR is already generating, right?

An old Pebble watch will do that, maybe available on eBay. Another alternative, not for your wrist, is the old RFLKT Wahoo product since you could just prop that up on the workout bike and not worry about your phone falling down.

I have one of these that is surplus but also was misbehaving, so if you're willing to experiment send me a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vqdriver
08-09-2018, 07:37 PM
if it uses ant+ i suspect any fitness watch would pair. garmin or lezyne come to mind.
could strap it to your handlebar as a computer too

http://www.lezyne.com/products-gps.php#gpswatches

classtimesailer
08-09-2018, 08:02 PM
I adopted my kids 10 year old garmin 4 runner which works with the wahoo strap perfectly. But for cheap, get a rubbery phone holder to take with you to strap your phone to the hotel's equipment.

stev0
08-09-2018, 09:29 PM
Come to think of it, I've got an old Garmin 405CX kicking around which I'd be happy to send you if you toss me a few bucks for shipping. Stopped using it because the battery life was no longer up to snuff but should work for your purposes. Feel free to PM me if you want it!

chiasticon
08-10-2018, 12:03 PM
I have a Garmin ForeRunner 230 I'd offload for cheap. wore it for about a year. works great with the Tickr or as a lifestyle watch (main use I had for it).

speaking of which, I need a new Tickr. they're awesome. but mine died after a couple years :mad:

alembical
08-10-2018, 12:55 PM
I have the Garmin Vivioactive 3 and like it. It pairs with my garmin hr strap, garmin bike computer, phone (calls and text messages), Garmin pay for credit card transactions when I don't have my card with me, GPS for runs, tracks sleep, 24/7 heart rate from wrist, pairs with strava, etc...

Any specific questions, feel free to ask, but I like it. All of my alarm clocks are now on my watch and it wakes me up with vibrations rather than an audible alarm waking others.