PDA

View Full Version : 80s campy questions!!!!

itsflantastic
10-30-2006, 04:56 PM
I have "adopted" a 1984 guerciotti frame and fork from a fellow forum member. It comes with a dura ace headset and some other parts like stem, seatpost etc. I do however need to build it up a bit still and will probably need the following items:

brake levers
wheelset
f/d and r/d
brake calipers
possibly a crankset

ummmm, i think that's it.

Anyway, here is where I need help. A LBS has a box of NOS 80s campagnolo components that they are practically giving away (if anyone wants some pieces I could keep my eye out for ya!). It sits untouched in the back of the shop, and I may be the only one besides the owner who knows it's there!

So I went and dug through it today and was very excited to find many goodies including dt shifters. I did a bit of research before buying them however, and realized that they are Synchro shifters, and are to be avoided. Shocked that not everything campy is desireable, I thought I'd ask the aficionados here what ideal componentry for a mid-80s italian bicycle would be. Also if anyone happens to have any of these components I'm interested, but on a VERY tight budget :)
Thanks for any and all input!!!

dan

texbike
10-30-2006, 05:08 PM
Hmmmm. Staying true to 1984 would leave you with Nuovo or Super Record as the two main top groups.

However, I believe that C Record and Victory began to creep into the mix toward the latter part of 1984.

A good look through catalogs from 1984 might help. Try the online catalogs on www.bulgier.net for reference.

Oh and yes, the Synchros are horrid. Pretty to look at, but I could never get the stupid things to work properly. :)

Good luck!

Texbike

Ken Robb
10-30-2006, 07:19 PM
check out the campyonly site for good info and a campy timeline.

Hardlyrob
10-31-2006, 08:09 AM
I just built a mid-'80's road bike and used c-record and regina chain / freewheel. I have to say it is the smoothest and quietest drive traqin I've ever had on a bike. Not only does the c-record work well, it is one of the best looking groups out there. The friction shifters are like buttah.

Another source for good information is the campyoldy site here: http://www.campyoldy.co.uk/index.htm

He seems to have just about everything ever made - not cheap, but you can find out what was right for your bike.

If it was me, I'd cheat a little and pretend it was 1985 or 1986 and build it up with c-record vs. SR / NR. You just cant beat a rear der with adjustable ball bearings in the pulleys. The down side is that c-record parts are a lot harder to find than SR / NR if you need something.

Good luck, and post some pics!