PDA

View Full Version : Builder for a custom bike

Southjersey88
08-08-2018, 03:20 PM
Hello all-New to the forum and have been learning my way around.
Respectfully looking for a builder to create a bike prototype with plans that I have developed. I am located in New Jersey. Any help would be awesome and greatly appreciated.

bikinchris
08-08-2018, 03:37 PM
At one time, I would have said Ant Bike Mike, but he works for someone else now. He seemed to enjoy the idea of making a different tricycle, but my deal fell through.
Everyone else I work with is probably a little too busy to make a one off.

weisan
08-08-2018, 05:24 PM
Don't think geographical location is an issue anymore in this day and age. So, if you are open to working with someone remote, I would highly recommend Tomii for this sort of endeavor.

https://www.tomiicycles.com

Hellgate
08-08-2018, 05:29 PM
Don't think geographical location is an issue anymore in this day and age. So, if you are open to working with someone remote, I would highly recommend Tomii for this sort of endeavor.

https://www.tomiicycles.comAgreed. Stunning work.

Peter P.
08-08-2018, 05:29 PM
I think Bilenky Cycle Works (http://www.bilenky.com/) is more flexible in meeting customers' requests. As a bonus for you, they are reasonably close, in Philadelphia.

I own a Signature Clubsman and asked for some minor details they didn't hesitate to add to my order.

ultraman6970
08-08-2018, 05:46 PM
What about aaron??? he is one of our forumites, there must be more small forum member builder aswell.

seanile
08-08-2018, 05:50 PM
in the realm of forum-based builders, if you're interested in affordable, not too pegged for time, and into giving a hobbyist some extra experience, i got a nice message in July from this fella when i was looking around for a particular panasonic frame.

I am a garage hobbiest kinda guy and could build you one.

I am currently just starting a frame for my Dad and I'm not quick by any means. I would say I could deliver sometime this winter.

You could check out my website if you're interested.
www.varcocycles.com
I'm also on IG @varcocycles

Allan

jtakeda
08-08-2018, 06:04 PM
Respectfully looking for a builder to create a bike prototype with plans that I have developed. I am located in New Jersey. Any help would be awesome and greatly appreciated.

Just to be clear.

Are you looking for a builder to build a prototype of a frame you intend to produce on a small production scale?

Or is this just a custom bike for you?

pncguy
08-08-2018, 06:14 PM
Just to be clear.

Are you looking for a builder to build a prototype of a frame you intend to produce on a small production scale?

Or is this just a custom bike for you?

This is an excellent question because I hadn't even thought of that angle until you mentioned it. The answer will drive the OP very different directions, depending.

unterhausen
08-08-2018, 08:54 PM
building a prototype for a production item would lead me to quote my engineering consulting rates, not my framebuilder rates

Southjersey88
08-08-2018, 10:08 PM
Thank you all very much for your input. This will be a prototype for my initial use and if there is traction and interest, possible production.

Doug Fattic
08-09-2018, 07:36 AM
I had a student that took my frame building class a couple of years ago for this very purpose. His primary goal wasn't to learn how to braze (so I did the brazing) but to rather understand the whole process. He felt that this gave him a much clearer picture of what was possible and how things should be designed and done because of the subjects we covered in class. It is not just how to put tubes together. Because I was involved he left class with a professional quality frame.

oldpotatoe
08-09-2018, 07:48 AM

Does the person have to be in New Jersey?

http://nobilettecycles.net/

MNobilette@msn.com

Mark has made a lot of stuff for others, including some stuff like trikes and 'bents..If you contact him, tell him 'Peter' sent ya

Hardlyrob
08-09-2018, 08:31 AM
It might be worth a call to Geekhouse as well. I don't know them well, but they sure have put together some unique rides.

eBAUMANN
08-09-2018, 09:32 AM
It might be worth a call to Geekhouse as well. I don't know them well, but they sure have put together some unique rides.

unfortunately, geekhouse is currently defunct - no new orders and no plans to continue once current queue is cleared.