PDA

View Full Version : Best lightweight crank/chainset?

thoreau
08-07-2018, 09:09 PM
Hello, once again soliciting some ideas from the great minds at PL. Have found myself with a hand me down frameset from one of my riding buddies. Looking for recommendations for a lightweight crankset for a project climbing bike.

So far i have looked at FSA SL-K Light and SRAM Etap. Wondering if there are others that would be more cost effective without a significant weight penalty?

Looking at something 170 50/34 or 52/36.

Thank you kindly.

bikinchris
08-07-2018, 10:28 PM
Dollar for dollar, you have good choices listed.

R3awak3n
08-08-2018, 04:38 AM
The new praxis zayante carbon seems awesome

If your frame is bb30 you cannot go wrong witha hollowgram (not cheap new but there has been some crazy good deals here on PL lately)

kramnnim
08-08-2018, 06:34 AM
Hollowgram or SWorks if BB30/PF30

Bob Ross
08-08-2018, 07:26 AM
Hollowgram

Came in to post ^^^this.

yinzerniner
08-08-2018, 12:47 PM
Although crankset performance is very dependent on the bottom bracket design. The Dura Ace cranksets are awesome, but they're not best suited for narrow applications.

Cannondale Hollowgram is pretty awesome, but the tools and setup is pretty complicated. Very proprietary.

Mark McM
08-08-2018, 01:08 PM
If I can hijack this thread -

I'm also consider a lightweight hill climb bike. This bike would be targeted for hill climb races, so lightweight is more important than ride quality, or even durability. I'm considering starting with a Trek Emonda SLR frame, which is very light (640 grams for a size 56cm). But it comes with Trek's proprietary BB90 bottom bracket, which uses 37mm OD bearings press fit directly into the BB shell. Many lightweight cranks use 30mm spindles, which just won't fit into the bearings this small, so crank choices are limited to cranks which use smaller spindles (such as Shimano's Hollowtech 24mm spindles, SRAM's GXP 24mm/22mm spindles, or Campagnolo's Ultra-Torque 25mm spindles).

So my question is: What are the lightest sub-compact cranks that will fit into a BB90 bottom bracket?

(I know that this is asking too much, but my ideal crank for this project would be a single or double chainring crank that could take a chainring as small as 22 teeth, and would have a narrow Q-factor of no greater than 150mm, and would weigh something in the region of 500 grams. This probably doesn't exist, however.)

madsciencenow
08-08-2018, 08:49 PM

I'm also consider a lightweight hill climb bike. This bike would be targeted for hill climb races, so lightweight is more important than ride quality, or even durability. I'm considering starting with a Trek Emonda SLR frame, which is very light (640 grams for a size 56cm). But it comes with Trek's proprietary BB90 bottom bracket, which uses 37mm OD bearings press fit directly into the BB shell. Many lightweight cranks use 30mm spindles, which just won't fit into the bearings this small, so crank choices are limited to cranks which use smaller spindles (such as Shimano's Hollowtech 24mm spindles, SRAM's GXP 24mm/22mm spindles, or Campagnolo's Ultra-Torque 25mm spindles).

So my question is: What are the lightest sub-compact cranks that will fit into a BB90 bottom bracket?

(I know that this is asking too much, but my ideal crank for this project would be a single or double chainring crank that could take a chainring as small as 22 teeth, and would have a narrow Q-factor of no greater than 150mm, and would weigh something in the region of 500 grams. This probably doesn't exist, however.)

Just get a supersix evo for not much more weight and you can run the sisl2 crankset which is pretty awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kramnnim
08-08-2018, 09:08 PM
Friend had a sub 700g Emonda SLR and it cracked. The replacement they sent was ~100g heavier iirc...

Mark McM
08-09-2018, 12:43 PM
Just get a supersix evo for not much more weight and you can run the sisl2 crankset which is pretty awesome.

The Supersix EVO Hi-Mod looks like a viable alternative from spec. point of view. The frame+fork weight is about 1/4 lb. more than the Emonda SLR, but much of that can be made up with an ultra-light crank (the BB30 pressfit give many more options on cranks).

But it appears that the SuperSix EVO is not available as a frame only, and the least expensive complete bike is $6500 (as compared to $3000 for the Emonda SLR frameset). I've already got most of the lightweight components/wheels I'd be using, so if I got the complete bike, I'd end up selling off most of the components. That would make up some of the difference in price, but probably not most of it.

m4rk540
08-09-2018, 01:31 PM
Price to weight to durability to practicality, nothing comes close to a Red crankset.

Waldo
08-09-2018, 05:03 PM
I am very happy with Lightning cranks on my weight weenie Rob English.

https://www.lightningbikes.com/cranks/

mdeth1313
08-09-2018, 07:00 PM
I am very happy with Lightning cranks on my weight weenie Rob English.

https://www.lightningbikes.com/cranks/

I was just going to mention lightning crankset. You can also switch out spiders and they have BB's for just about any "standard".

Tony
08-09-2018, 08:24 PM
Price to weight to durability to practicality, nothing comes close to a Red crankset.

This

thoreau
08-10-2018, 01:48 PM
Should have mentioned the frame is BBRight. I am leaning towards FSA because of price. Hologram would be great but they all seem to be exorbitantly expensive for what they are.

vqdriver
08-10-2018, 01:51 PM
i dunno what bbright is, but the etap crank is legit. if they make it for your bb, you can't go wrong with it.
sisl2 is sexy as helll, but yeah, very proprietary

kramnnim
08-10-2018, 06:56 PM
Should have mentioned the frame is BBRight. I am leaning towards FSA because of price. Hologram would be great but they all seem to be exorbitantly expensive for what they are.

Hollowgram won’t work with BBRight...unless you use a wide spindle intended for mtb. (Which still might not work)

seedster2
08-10-2018, 07:29 PM
How about THM Clavicula SE or M3? I have the clavicula SE in 175mm and they weighed right around 300 grams with spindle. Perhaps you can find a used set on ebay?

macaroon
08-11-2018, 10:28 AM

SRAM Force with a direct mount chainring?

thoreau
08-19-2018, 02:59 PM
Bringing this back up. Looking like the options are FSA K Force vs FSA SL-K Lght or SRAM Red. Any thoughts before I pull the trigger? Thanks!

kramnnim
08-19-2018, 04:10 PM
Google "FSA pedal insert"

thoreau
08-19-2018, 04:24 PM
Thank you. Decision made then.

Tony
08-19-2018, 04:31 PM
Good choice!

thoreau
08-19-2018, 06:18 PM
Lol. Looking like GXP should work with adapters. Honestly do not understand why there is still no universal standard for BB/Cranks. One would assume BB30 would fit BBRight but noooo.... Old man rant over.

zzy
08-19-2018, 06:32 PM
One wouldn't assume that - BB30 was all about minimum q factor, while BBRight is all about stiffness. As long as one OEM thinks they know best, new BB standards will keep coming out.

I actually like the FSA K force Light 386EVO cranks. Lighter than DA with no proprietary nonsense. Never seen a pedal insert come loose, but don't doubt it either.